Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/11/2023 9:54:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: multiple68]
I've been homeschooling my 6 year old since the beginning of covid when his preschool went full retard.

We've been using the Abeka curriculum for the last couple of years. It's a great curriculum and very detailed,  but I don't understand how to get through everything in a typical 8 hour day, let alone half a day. Adding in the separate Bible study curriculum,  outside time,  breakfast and lunch,  it usually takes a solid 9 hours to finish all of it. That's going through each new lesson and all the reviewing. I like to do all the review as does my boy, and I make sure he understands everything before moving on.

What's been working for us lately is to do half a lesson each day. 2 lessons per week. Pretty much have been treating it as year round school. Take Fridays off to get to the climbing gym, batting cages, or go out and shoot. He's a year ahead anyways (half way through second),  and we'll go deep into the summer before finishing everything for the year,  but that includes about 4-6 weeks of vacating/travel time throughout the year.

Any suggestions,  or keep doing what we're doing?

ETA: the above time also includes doing his "homework"

Link Posted: 3/11/2023 11:50:22 PM EDT
[#1]
We've thought about homeschooling. I'm interested in learning more about this.
Link Posted: 3/12/2023 12:43:27 AM EDT
[#2]
My son does Abeka.  He’s done 4-8th grade.  It’s so routine.  My wife used to teach the lessons, but wanted to go to work from home.  We did the video lessons for this year.  He’s ok with them. He usually finishes in 4-6 hours for the day.  My wife might have more insight into this than I.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top