Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 5/16/2024 9:16:19 PM EDT
When it came to instilling a work ethic, you couldn't top my father.

Even as a young boy in Cub Scouts when it came to selling things my father wouldn't let me try to sell stuff on our block. As he said, " I don't want the neighbors to feel obligated to buy from you, and an easy sale doesn't teach you the lessons you can learn from this."

Now adults bring a sales sheet to work for everything their kid is supposed to sell. I can't even get into how many ways that practice annoys me.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:19:44 PM EDT
[#1]
What do you mean “now”?

I sent my dad to the shop with with those sheets 30 years ago, AND went door to door. If you wanted to win, you had to have a parent in the shop.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:20:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By apierce918:
What do you mean “now”?

I sent my dad to the shop with with those sheets 30 years ago, AND went door to door. If you wanted to win, you had to have a parent in the shop.
View Quote

True. "Now" has been for decades, it's still wrong.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:23:35 PM EDT
[#3]
OP
Do you have kids involved in anything?
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:25:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By SperlingPE:
OP
View Quote

No shit.

The pressures involved can be overwhelming.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:25:32 PM EDT
[#5]
What do you mean “now”?

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:26:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By FGracing:

True. "Now" has been for decades, it's still wrong.
View Quote

Nothing wrong with it. Dont want the kids wares, dont buy it. Simple.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:26:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Doesnt bother me.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:27:24 PM EDT
[#8]
The things some people get the vapors about, I swear
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:28:19 PM EDT
[#9]
I hate when its those discount cards for businesses in towns I dont live near.

Im a fat American, give me cookies or overpriced popcorn.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:29:11 PM EDT
[#10]
I love it!
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:29:32 PM EDT
[#11]
My cousin's kid did the door to door thing, some pedo tried to lure him in the house.  Never allow your kids to go alone.  Go with them or take the shit to work is the only options.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:29:35 PM EDT
[#12]
My coworkers know I'll buy all the World's Finest Chocolate that their kids can supply.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:30:19 PM EDT
[#13]

Girl Scout cookies are always welcome
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:30:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Stump70:

No shit.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
OP

No shit.

Yes I have two sons. They are a bit older now in the 20's but even when selling was a part of football or whatever, I made them sell on their own. They might not have won, but what they did they did on their own.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:30:42 PM EDT
[#15]
OP
View Quote

My kids were involved in stuff.
I absolutely hated the fundraising bs. If I took one to work then best believe those that bought something would be hitting me up when their kids was selling stuff.
Best to just pay whatever fee to whatever and get it over with.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:31:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Hell no!

I had sell those damn tins of butter toffee peanuts door-to-door by myself to help pay for YMCA summer camp every year... I was a shy kid too, was painful ... but sucked it up and sold a couplea cases a summer then my dad would give me a break on the selling.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:32:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Did the Caramel deLites make you throw up after you ate a whole box of them at work?
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:32:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Big no no at work. Against company policy. It used to happen when we all worked in office in the pre rice rabies days but had to be kept very quite and not get caught if you did it. Now we are all mostly remote or hybrid so we hardly see each other face to face.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:33:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Max429:
My cousin's kid did the door to door thing, some pedo tried to lure him in the house.  Never allow your kids to go alone.  Go with them or take the shit to work is the only options.
View Quote

Go with them? It's SO much easier to sell to co-workers and not try to teach sales and public interaction to a kid. Let them play and Mom and Dad will do all the work for you.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:34:06 PM EDT
[#20]
At Fords we were making so much freaking money it was almost like a on going thing who could spend more. Those kids seriously made out. The guys ways did as well because management would give out bonuses for supporting the kids.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:34:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Dont want it, dont buy it  

Otherwise, MYOB
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:37:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Meh. I always bought the cookies, popcorn or whatever snacks they were selling and then left them out for my staff. A small thing to help the kids.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:37:30 PM EDT
[#23]

No shit.

View Quote

What pressure?

I’ve got 5 kids.  They’ve collectively played: soccer, football, basketball, hockey, baseball and softball.

I don’t give a fuck what some coach is pushing me to do.  And if they’re putting “overwhelming” pressure on you, it sounds like a shitty organization/coaching staff who cares more about money than making kids good players.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:39:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By gotigers:
Dont want it, dont buy it  

Otherwise, MYOB
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:41:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 13FoxVet] [#25]
lol I remember employees would leave the sheets in break rooms.  Those sheets would fill up fast.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:41:30 PM EDT
[#26]
My kids sports ball teams always do the stupid fundraisers.  I refuse to sell them for him as well, which means he is always in last place.  He did make some good money buying and selling those stupid croc inserts at school though. He learned making money for yourself is much more motivational.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:55:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Meh. Only thing I bother with is the gun raffles for my daughter's trap team. I just buy the tickets. I would rather not have her walk around trying to sell them in this day and age.

My son was in scouts and he sold the crappy popcorn at store fronts. Also just posted a website link on the Foosebook for family members.

I am of the old addage, work smarter not harder.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:56:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MtnMusic] [#28]
I saw one contest a while back.

Kids were selling raffle tickets in a fundraiser. Most kids sold 8-10. A couple were around 50.

One real go-getter rode her bike around town every night for a week or so, and got over 100.

The winner? Sold 600+.   How?  Evidently her mom is in charge of an ecommerce site for something or other, so she put a link up for the kid, with some sob story to go with it.

The girl who busted her ass to sell 100 (and got a measly $25 gift certificate for 2nd place) was not super happy about it. I guess she got a good life lesson though.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 10:01:33 PM EDT
[#29]
One year, back when my now thirty something daughter was a girl scout, I made the mistake of talking the cookie sales sheet to work.  

I didn't understand that cookies in midtown Manhattan were not only in demand, but also $2/box more than my suburban PA cookies.

I had left the sheet with the receptionist on our floor. When I checked on it at lunch, I had sold 38 cases of cookies.

When the cookies were available it was the only time I drove to work in the years I worked in NYC.

Didn't make that mistake again
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 10:07:22 PM EDT
[#30]
I mentioned that my daughter was selling Girl Scout cookies at work. My co workers bought a shitload and thanked me for the free delivery.
I did not even have to try to sell them.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 10:08:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Doesn't bother me a bit.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 10:09:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Soooo, OP doesn’t eat Girl Scout cookies or get his car washed by kids doing fund raisers?
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 10:10:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: C3H5N3O9] [#33]
Agreed.

ETA:  My kid was number one in her Girl Scout troop 2 years in a row.  90-95% of the sales were done in front of Walmart or Target.  Of course my wife and I helped her, but we made her call in the customers, describe the product, make change, and restock.  She did something for every sale.  The parents that let their kids hide while they handled the sales robbed their kids of a lot of real world experience.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 10:14:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By highstepper:
Soooo, OP doesn’t eat Girl Scout cookies or get his car washed by kids doing fund raisers?
View Quote

I'll buy the GS cookies outside of the supermarket, not when a parent brings a sales sheet to work.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 10:19:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Someone at work left a Brunswick stew sale sheet out.   A guy who is annoying signed up for 4 quarts.
I might have walked by when it appeared he signed up for 40 quarts.

I thought the lady selling him was going to blow him on delivery day.

I paid the $200 later in the day, it was well worth the laughs.  Watching him try to find a freezer at work for 40 quarts was amazing.

This asshole also walked around in his socks to the copy machine.  His shoes spent the day above his desk in his ceiling tile.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 10:20:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 10:20:50 PM EDT
[#37]
I always look forward to Fund Raiser Hoagie season.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 10:23:03 PM EDT
[#38]
I prefer that to bringing their kids to work. That is bullshit.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 10:24:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Don't be such a grinch. Do you know what would cheer you up?  Buying some Girl Scout cookies from my daughter. Last sale she sold over five hundred boxes.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 10:26:18 PM EDT
[#40]
Meh
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 10:26:53 PM EDT
[#41]
I always looked forward to having the excuse to by some giant chocolate bars.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 10:28:12 PM EDT
[#42]
What do you mean “now”?

View Quote

So true, my parents never took it to work, I worked my ass off for the sales and end up way behind because others parents.  Oh well, good life lesson though.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 10:29:03 PM EDT
[#43]
The kids on the block are good kids and I always buy something.  If it wasn’t for coworker kids, I’d miss Girl Scout cookie season.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 10:35:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By AngryNagant:
Don't be such a grinch. Do you know what would cheer you up?  Buying some Girl Scout cookies from my daughter. Last sale she sold over five hundred boxes.
View Quote

How many did she sell on her own?
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 10:42:57 PM EDT
[#45]

View Quote
Most of them.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 10:44:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By TheRedBaron:

Girl Scout cookies are always welcome
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 10:46:15 PM EDT
[#47]
I did one time when I mentioned that it was cookie sales time for my daughter.  My 1SG told me to bring them in we could get them all sold at drill.  He wasn't kidding we sold all the boxes that weekend.  

I never did it again though I did buy a bunch of chocolate bars from a guy selling them for his kid.  Those skinny bars are like crack to me.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 10:50:06 PM EDT
[#48]
Most of them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Most of them.

That is an impressive number to sell. How did she do that?
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 10:51:55 PM EDT
[#49]

That is an impressive number to sell. How did she do that?
View Quote
In front of Publix and at her school mainly.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 11:01:19 PM EDT
[#50]
shit....the local girl scouts are slacking...not a damn single one ever knocked on my door to sell cookies...I'd easily drop $100 without thinking twice.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Top Top