Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/2/2023 11:12:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Woodchuck1]
A thread dedicated to breakdowns, roadside repairs, shop errors, and shipper/receiver disasters.    

I’ll start.

I’ve been broken down since Thursday afternoon.  

A road service call failed to resolve all the issues, so on to the Boss Shop.

The Boss Shop wouldn’t work on it (too close to closing time on Friday by the time the leasing company decided which shop to send me to, and the shop looked at it), so off to the Loves.  

The Loves shop didn’t have a large enough socket on Friday, and had to acquire said socket prior to replacing the inner wheel seal and (now oil soaked) brake shoes on Saturday afternoon.

I then got up around 1am (Sunday morning) to head out, and discovered this:

Link Posted: 7/2/2023 7:26:27 PM EDT
[#1]
That sucks.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 7:39:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Woodchuck1] [#2]
@NotAFudd

At this point, it’s funny.  

This same trailer cost me three or four days a few weeks ago, for air bags - it uses a weird airbag that had to be shipped in from California.  Once I was up and running again,  I had to go to L.A., and on my way there ended up in the shop because of an air leak due to how one of the new air bags had been installed by the shop.  

Fast forward a few weeks, and here we are again.   Goes in cycles - I get an old ratty trailer, takes weeks or months of fighting with it to get it legal, and reliable, and then I get stuck with another trashed trailer.

Link Posted: 7/2/2023 8:47:44 PM EDT
[#3]
What type of trailer?
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 9:01:05 PM EDT
[#4]
@NotAFudd

2016 Utility, 48’ dual-zone reefer

Link Posted: 7/3/2023 11:36:46 AM EDT
[#5]
This is fine.   No issues here.  

Link Posted: 7/3/2023 1:48:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Years ago when I drive OTR I lost my clutch in Costa Mesa Ca. I had to drive all the way back to the yard in Fontana without a clutch. If you’re at all familiar with the area you can imagine how much fun that was.
Link Posted: 7/3/2023 2:09:24 PM EDT
[#7]
BTDT. I won't let anyone else do hub service any more on my trailers for that reason. I do them myself. The one things that's worse than doing semi trailer brakes and hubs outdoors by yourself, is sitting somewhere you don't want to be waiting for someone to re-repair bad work.

7-8 yrs ago my local go-to shop did a hub seal. Woke up to the same mess that you have, with a loaded trailer in Pharr TX. Apparently they did not get the bearings completely seated up on the spindle. Made it 1000 mi to south TX with a light load, but the heavy produce load and few tight turns opened her up. Filled the hub and made it the few miles to the Utility dealer nearby. Half a day and $500 lighter, it was fixed right. Utility guy had to torch the bearings off and hand dress the spindle before putting it back together. To his credit, my go-to guy reimbursed it.

Haven't had another seal failure since doing them myself. Side bonus, no waiting for days until a shop can "get to it." I'm only limited by my own initiative to pry my ass off my seat, load the tools and parts, then get-r-done.

Seems like you're dealing with a company trailer and don't have that option. That would suck.
Link Posted: 7/3/2023 3:46:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Woodchuck1] [#8]
@denverdan

I feel your pain, with the amount of stop and go traffic there… hope you at least knew how to float?

@RedForeman

Rental trailer.    So I have to go through the leasing company, who uses another company to schedule the repairs…but the leasing company has to approve any repairs.    It’s a circus.    🤡

Oh, I made it about 90 miles from getting the wheel seal re-repaired, and…

Link Posted: 7/3/2023 3:54:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Damn, we made one foray into renting/leasing flatbeds to help as we were buying a truck/trailer on the road about every three weeks.  Fucking disaster will never do that again.  We rent out flatbeds to others now and while lucrative, a real pain in the ass to the point we only allow them for off road use.
Link Posted: 7/3/2023 4:02:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Woodchuck1] [#10]
@NotAFudd

The last couple of years dealing with rented/leased equipment makes me never want to deal with it again.  

I have never had so many issues with DOT, never lost so much time due to repairs, and never had the issues I have with this equipment.     I can’t get stuff taken care of before it’s an issue, everything is a fight - even to get tires or brakes done.     Utterly ridiculous.   🤡    🎪

Why do you only allow off road use, and how does that benefit your company?   Do you deliver the trailer to the customer’s site, or…?  If the trailer is plated, how would you prevent them from taking it on road?

Link Posted: 7/3/2023 4:59:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Woodchuck1:
@denverdan

I feel your pain, with the amount of stop and go traffic there… hope you at least knew how to float?

@RedForeman

Rental trailer.    So I have to go through the leasing company, who uses another company to schedule the repairs…but the leasing company has to approve any repairs.    It’s a circus.    🤡

Oh, I made it about 90 miles from getting the wheel seal re-repaired, and…

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/568994/1E99712B-89F7-44EA-BF51-AF461E77CB04-2872470.jpg

View Quote

Yeah floating wasn’t the problem. It was all the red lights that made it challenging.
Watching the lights and crosswalk signals and trying to time it so I didn’t have to completely come to a stop was interesting.
Link Posted: 8/6/2023 6:18:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Put in my notice, effective immediately recently.  

Would have rather not done so, but the company I left was ridiculously bad.  

Had received an offer, so no stress about looking for a job or changing gears and going into another part of the industry.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 6:06:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Woodchuck1] [#13]
Only put down about 150 miles today.    Started my shift (team operation) and the (radiator) fan was sticking on.   Brought it in to the shop (Phoenix area) and…well, that was about nine hours ago.  

Trying to catch a nap on a stack of pallets isn’t as fun as it might sound.
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 6:41:39 PM EDT
[#14]
My transmission decided it wasn't going to engage just as I was pulling out of a truck stop parking spot so I managed to completely block all traffic down that lane (which was the primary route to go to get fuel) for about 4 hours, which meant I got to stand out there in 106 degrees directing traffic for 4 hours waiting for a tow truck to show up and charge us $750 to move the truck from one side of the truck stop to the other.

Boss was real thrilled about that one!

Once I crawled underneath and realized that a bunch of the bolts that mount the transmission were gone, it kinda made sense...
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 2:24:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Woodchuck1] [#15]
Originally Posted By CMiller:
My transmission decided it wasn't going to engage just as I was pulling out of a truck stop parking spot so I managed to completely block all traffic down that lane (which was the primary route to go to get fuel) for about 4 hours, which meant I got to stand out there in 106 degrees directing traffic for 4 hours waiting for a tow truck to show up and charge us $750 to move the truck from one side of the truck stop to the other.

Once I crawled underneath and realized that a bunch of the bolts that mount the transmission were gone, it kinda made sense...
View Quote

What let go?   Did the bolts shear, or were they not torqued down, or…?

What transmission?
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 10:38:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Seabee_Mech] [#16]
I've had a hell of a week.

I took a few days off two weeks ago, the office let another driver run crane loads to a wind farm with my truck, he ran the shit out of it for 4 days. My truck has 4.56 gears in the rear ends and is happy running at 70 mph (1730 rpm) or less but it's governed faster than that. I'm pretty sure the driver was running against the governor all the time, a bunch of stuff in my sleeper had fallen off the shelves and was on the floor when I got my truck back, it was run hard. Last week I picked up and excavator in Point of Rocks WY and delivered it to Watkins, CO. On the way back home the truck started overheating and oil pressure dropped below 20 psi. I got stopped within a mile and a half and we trailered my truck back to the shop.

When the oil pan was dropped this is what we found, rod bearings on 5 and 6 completely shredded, the others running hot enough to blue steel, the engine is about 2 years old with 140,000 miles on it.

Saturday I have to go and pick up the same excavator and take it to Wright, WY. I'm stuck in a POS spare truck until they get a new engine for my truck. I pick up the excavator and on my way back to Wyoming, check engine lights come on and I have a SCR fault code and "Seek Service Immediately" warning. I managed to make my delivery and make it back to the yard without a de-rate, but we're out of spare trucks

Link Posted: 8/29/2023 3:47:30 PM EDT
[#17]
@Seabee_Mech

That’s crazy.   Sorry you’ve had such a time of it.  Have never been thrilled when other people took my equipment, either.  

Fortunately now that’s no longer an issue I have to deal with.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 12:22:04 PM EDT
[#18]

What transmission?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

What transmission?

Most likely explanation is that when the boss had his guys (redneck mechanics, definitely not experienced heavy truck guys) replace the clutch a couple weeks prior, they probably just hit the bolts with the impact driver and moved on--I doubt they even own a torque wrench!  Once we got it all taken apart we could see that 3 bolts broke and left pieces behind, the rest stripped out the threads on the bell housing.  So either somebody forgot to tighten something, or didn't torque properly, etc.  This was a 2010 Freightliner Cascadia with a DD15 and the automated transmission that uses a clutch to get started.   The brand new clutch also got broken as well as the carrier bearing on the driveshaft.  I ended up in a hotel room for 6 days before it was ready to drive again!

Same as always--you get what you pay for, and don't let people who don't know what they're doing touch your truck.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 12:26:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Seabee_Mech:
I've had a hell of a week.

I took a few days off two weeks ago, the office let another driver run crane loads to a wind farm with my truck, he ran the shit out of it for 4 days. My truck has 4.56 gears in the rear ends and is happy running at 70 mph (1730 rpm) or less but it's governed faster than that. I'm pretty sure the driver was running against the governor all the time, a bunch of stuff in my sleeper had fallen off the shelves and was on the floor when I got my truck back, it was run hard. Last week I picked up and excavator in Point of Rocks WY and delivered it to Watkins, CO. On the way back home the truck started overheating and oil pressure dropped below 20 psi. I got stopped within a mile and a half and we trailered my truck back to the shop.

When the oil pan was dropped this is what we found, rod bearings on 5 and 6 completely shredded, the others running hot enough to blue steel, the engine is about 2 years old with 140,000 miles on it.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/119852/Oil_pan-2934946.jpg

Saturday I have to go and pick up the same excavator and take it to Wright, WY. I'm stuck in a POS spare truck until they get a new engine for my truck. I pick up the excavator and on my way back to Wyoming, check engine lights come on and I have a SCR fault code and "Seek Service Immediately" warning. I managed to make my delivery and make it back to the yard without a de-rate, but we're out of spare trucks

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/119852/SCR_Fault-2934945.jpg
View Quote

Bad drivers suck.

I hate letting somebody else drive my truck--I know they won't treat it like I do.

But it's a catch 22--for the most part, the kind of guys who stay in trucking long term do it because they can't do anything else, which means they aren't the kind of guys you want driving your trucks!  If it's a responsible conscientious person they probably won't put up with the lifestyle of trucking and they will find something else to do instead.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 1:35:24 PM EDT
[#20]

Bad drivers suck.

I hate letting somebody else drive my truck--I know they won't treat it like I do.

But it's a catch 22--for the most part, the kind of guys who stay in trucking long term do it because they can't do anything else, which means they aren't the kind of guys you want driving your trucks!  If it's a responsible conscientious person they probably won't put up with the lifestyle of trucking and they will find something else to do instead.
View Quote
Even though I drive company equipment I treat it like I own it, I guess it comes from growing up in a family that owned an independent shop and being a mechanic for 20+ years. I appreciate how much work and money goes into keeping equipment running. I also understand business and profits, breakdowns cost money and lost jobs, that in turn makes it harder for me to make money and get pay raises so I really hate to see breakdowns due to abuse or neglect.

Normally, nobody uses my truck or trailers but me but I was coming off two back to back jobs with no time off. My dispatcher was being nice and gave me some days off at the end of the refinery shutdown, but we had to move one of the big crawler cranes out of the refinery to a wind farm. Instead of calling me in on my days off he let someone else drive my truck (his truck and the spare truck were in the shop). Our shop mechanic actually cringed when he saw who was running my truck those four days. $40k + for repairs and my truck out of service for at least a month is the result.

I almost wish I'd gotten called in for those runs, it's going to suck not having my truck for awhile but I've gotten very little time off this year <shrug>
Link Posted: 9/13/2023 9:43:11 AM EDT
[#21]
G70 transport chains are not to be used as rigging chains. The job I'm on has been shut down for 2 days because someone used a 3/8" G70 chain with a 7 ton chain fall. The 3/8" chain broke. The contractor had 1/2" G100 chains onsite but I guess nobody was using them because they are heavy.

We're going on our 3rd day of not doing any work because Safety and the big brains in the main office are now trying to reinvent the wheel. At least I'm getting paid for 10 hours a day to sit onsite in a pickup truck.
Link Posted: 9/13/2023 9:57:04 AM EDT
[#22]
😳

Well…

At least you’re getting paid.  

Link Posted: 9/13/2023 1:20:42 PM EDT
[#23]

Well

At least you're getting paid.  

View Quote
I heard that this project is 12 million dollars in the red so far, I don't know if that's true but I wouldn't be surprised. Good thing Microsoft has deep pockets.

My company keeps telling me "I know the job sucks but we're making a killing on it, grit your teeth and keep your head down"
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 12:11:27 PM EDT
[#24]
I heard that this project is 12 million dollars in the red so far, I don't know if that's true but I wouldn't be surprised. Good thing Microsoft has deep pockets.

My company keeps telling me "I know the job sucks but we're making a killing on it, grit your teeth and keep your head down"
View Quote

That’s crazy.    

I also curious why they would be building a site in the area I think you’re at.  

This wouldn’t happen to have any connection to a future reactor location, would it?

Link Posted: 9/14/2023 12:38:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Seabee_Mech] [#25]

That's crazy.    

I also curious why they would be building a site in the area I think you're at.  

This wouldn't happen to have any connection to a future reactor location, would it?

View Quote
We're in the same neighborhood as the NCAR-Wyoming Supercomputing Center. The Data Center first started operation in 2012. They've been expanding like crazy for the last few years, this is the 2nd big protect here in the last three years I've been involved in. The amount of back up power generation on site is insane, they could probably power a few Cheyenne sized cities in a pinch.

Kemmerer is the proposed site for the TerraPower nuke plant, Bill does seem to like spending money in this State.

Link Posted: 9/19/2023 9:45:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Woodchuck1] [#26]
Been playing mechanic all day today on three hours sleep.  

Air leaks.    Found the location of two leaks, got the parts (and, no joke, needed a 10mm socket) and got those components installed.  

Air is still leaking.  

Found a leaking air bag, so replaced the set on that axle.  

Air is still leaking.   Apparently, a new (as of two months ago) valve is bad.   A $250 valve that was just replaced, needs to be replaced again.     😒

Edit, next morning: $250 valve is no longer mysteriously leaking.      The dealership didn’t attach/properly attach two connections under the dash during some recent work.   Once those two connections were made, the air system seems to be fine.
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 2:41:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Woodchuck1] [#27]

Link Posted: 10/8/2023 2:53:13 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 3:16:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Woodchuck1] [#29]
Damn, what got you? It looks like it was big.

View Quote

@Seabee_Mech

There’s a first time for everything.    This time, it was a Turkey.  

Sitting there feeling really stupid, while covered in glass shards is not how I recommend spending an evening.  

On that note, if you need a pre-tenderized holiday meal…there’s this one in Billings that is free for the taking.  

Link Posted: 10/27/2023 11:22:08 AM EDT
[#30]
First storm of the year already in the Bakken. The first storm is always the most chaotic.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

We made it the first 2 days without too many problems but it got down to single digits last night and today is a nightmare.
Oh well…
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 2:15:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Seabee_Mech] [#31]
Originally Posted By Lungbuster:
First storm of the year already in the Bakken. The first storm is always the most chaotic.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/196752/IMG_4458_jpeg-3005924.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/196752/IMG_1972_jpeg-3005925.JPG

We made it the first 2 days without too many problems but it got down to single digits last night and today is a nightmare.
Oh well
View Quote

We're supposed to get hit tonight/tomorrow, just got a dusting yesterday.

Tomorrow I get to go load an excavator in the oil fields north of Douglas, WY. All I have is a GPS pin drop for the pickup location, Google Earth doesn't show any roads within several miles of the mark and the customer hasn't responded to the request for more detailed directions. Of course there's also no hope of having a cell phone connection out in that area too, I'll be packing my Garmin InReach for sure.

ETA: Stand by for my "I'm lost and stuck as fuck photos"
Link Posted: 10/28/2023 2:54:52 PM EDT
[#32]

We're supposed to get hit tonight/tomorrow, just got a dusting yesterday.

Tomorrow I get to go load an excavator in the oil fields north of Douglas, WY. All I have is a GPS pin drop for the pickup location, Google Earth doesn't show any roads within several miles of the mark and the customer hasn't responded to the request for more detailed directions. Of course there's also no hope of having a cell phone connection out in that area too, I'll be packing my Garmin InReach for sure.

ETA: Stand by for my "I'm lost and stuck as fuck photos"
View Quote

That sounds about right for the oilfield. Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/28/2023 3:24:02 PM EDT
[#33]
My CDLb driver is cutting my Saturday hunting trip short.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/28/2023 3:36:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Back in 1973 a buddy and I went on a 3 week cross country motorcycle trip. Vegas was the destination but we did Yellowstone, Jackson Hole, etc on the way. After a week in Vegas we set out for New England (NH) and about a couple hours out of Vegas my bike broke down. An inner primary bolt on my 70 electraglide worked itself out (was not “locked” by a previous mechanic). Bolt fell onto the primary chain at 70 mph and locked the drive train up good. Pulled the primary cover and saw he carnage so there was no roadside fix. My buddy went ahead and found a small farm equipment repair place that was also a tiny Harley dealer! A couple hippies in a school bus tried to give me a lift but his tranny died of dying to get up a mountain. The dealer drove his pickup to us and loaded my bike up. His 16 year old son just completed the Harley mechanic school and set out to repair my bike. One week later I was on the road by myself (buddy had to leave cause his shop got broken into) anyway, I left from Richfield Utah (bike dealer) on a Saturday morning at 10am  and rolled into my driveway in NH on Monday morning. What a great ride home! Hundreds of miles of NOTHING but highway!
Denver was “out of gas” (the big’70s gas shortage) so I had to gas up before and after Denver. Ran out of fuel at 4 am in Kozad Nebraska and rolled sputtering into a KOA campground, pitched my tent and woke up at 8am. Asked a fellow camper about gas stations and he said everything was closed on Sunday. He filled my Harley tank from his own gas can and wouldn’t take any $$. From there it was non stop except for fuel to NH. I slept for 15 hours after I got home. 😊
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 12:08:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Seabee_Mech] [#35]
Originally Posted By Lungbuster:

That sounds about right for the oilfield. Good luck.
View Quote
I survived.

I stopped where I still had cell service and kept ringing numbers until someone got me in touch with the guy on site. He led me in, there's no way in hell I would have figured out how to find the excavator on my own. A four axle truck with a four axle RGN isn't the prime vehicle for exploring snowy oil field and ranch roads in the WY back country.

I was too busy once I got on site to remember to take pictures
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 5:03:53 PM EDT
[#36]
lol. Happens to me all the time…

“Damn, that would of been a cool pic” at least I didn’t die..
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 8:51:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Well, it took almost 3 months but I finally have my T-800 back with a new engine, turbo and compressor.

Link Posted: 11/21/2023 12:16:25 AM EDT
[#38]
Photos were taken from the passengers seat (not sarcasm) for anyone looking to criticize the photo…

Link Posted: 11/21/2023 12:25:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Woodchuck1] [#39]
Originally Posted By Hillcountry:
Back in 1973 a buddy and I went on a 3 week cross country motorcycle trip. Vegas was the destination but we did Yellowstone, Jackson Hole, etc on the way. After a week in Vegas we set out for New England (NH) and about a couple hours out of Vegas my bike broke down. An inner primary bolt on my 70 electraglide worked itself out (was not “locked” by a previous mechanic). Bolt fell onto the primary chain at 70 mph and locked the drive train up good. Pulled the primary cover and saw he carnage so there was no roadside fix. My buddy went ahead and found a small farm equipment repair place that was also a tiny Harley dealer! A couple hippies in a school bus tried to give me a lift but his tranny died of dying to get up a mountain. The dealer drove his pickup to us and loaded my bike up. His 16 year old son just completed the Harley mechanic school and set out to repair my bike. One week later I was on the road by myself (buddy had to leave cause his shop got broken into) anyway, I left from Richfield Utah (bike dealer) on a Saturday morning at 10am  and rolled into my driveway in NH on Monday morning. What a great ride home! Hundreds of miles of NOTHING but highway!
Denver was “out of gas” (the big’70s gas shortage) so I had to gas up before and after Denver. Ran out of fuel at 4 am in Kozad Nebraska and rolled sputtering into a KOA campground, pitched my tent and woke up at 8am. Asked a fellow camper about gas stations and he said everything was closed on Sunday. He filled my Harley tank from his own gas can and wouldn’t take any $$. From there it was non stop except for fuel to NH. I slept for 15 hours after I got home. 😊
View Quote

@Hillcountry

Crazy story.   Any more stories you can share?    

I’ve done my share of motorcycling, from Cape Breton  in May (33 degrees fahrenheit and rainy) to Phoenix Arizona in August (no clue what the high temperature was in the day, but it was 100 degrees fahrenheit when I pulled out at midnight to get out of there) and Wyoming (snow on the ground…and road).

Somewhere, I have video of me on a Rokon doing (pathetic) donuts.  

I was playing around with an AI image generator a while back, and this is one of the better ones it spit out with my prompts.  

Link Posted: 11/29/2023 6:42:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Well, so much for trying to cross reference the VIN to verify it would fit…

Link Posted: 12/14/2023 1:15:46 PM EDT
[#41]

Link Posted: 12/19/2023 8:55:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Woodchuck1] [#42]
Donner Pass is ridiculous.    Ok, CalTrans is ridiculous.  

Had to chain up (minimum, one set on drives, one set on trailer) from Kingvale to The Interchange.  

During the entire trip, the temperature never dropped below 36F, and there was no sign of the road being slick or icy.  

The water on the road was spraying freely.   Ie, it wasn’t frozen.    

Finally got through, and pulled the chains.  

I’m now soaked from flopping around like a fish in all the distinctly-not-frozen-water-pooling-on-the-ground putting on my own chains, and helping a new driver who’d never chained before and asked me for help, for absolutely no reason whatsoever other than CalTrans being utterly ridiculous.  

@JoshInReno

Is this common for them to require chains for…basically rain?     It’s bizarre.  

I’ve been all over the western passes, and never had to chain for such nonsense before.
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 4:20:44 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 3:05:28 PM EDT
[#44]
It was -30 at the house this morning. I'm sitting at home nice and warm and the T-800 is nestled in the pole barn, the AZ guys running our Cheyenne job called off all outside work until Tuesday.
Link Posted: 1/14/2024 5:27:10 AM EDT
[#45]
Counted over 50 tractor trailers (not including box trucks or passenger vehicles, or semis that were parked/broken down on the shoulder) that were jackknifed, rolled over, rear ended, or otherwise off the road and not capable of self-recovery, in a 250 mile distance.    There were more, before I started counting.  

Link Posted: 2/18/2024 3:58:57 PM EDT
[#46]
Well, it took almost 3 months but I finally have my T-800 back with a new engine, turbo and compressor.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/119852/IMG_20231110_135434503_HDR-3022883.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/119852/IMG_20231110_135423343_HDR-3022882.jpg

View Quote

How is the engine braking and the fuel mileage with it? Noticed all of the troubling stuff is off of it. Newer than a 2021?
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 4:35:49 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By confused89:

How is the engine braking and the fuel mileage with it? Noticed all of the troubling stuff is off of it. Newer than a 2021?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By confused89:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/119852/IMG_20231110_135434503_HDR-3022883.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/119852/IMG_20231110_135423343_HDR-3022882.jpg

The truck is a 2015, the engine is brand new. My old engine was tuned at 600 hp, I was lucky to get 6mpg bobtail with it. The new engine is set at 550 and I can get about 7.4 mpg bobtail depending on how much WY wind I'm bucking and I'm still in the break in phase. The engine breaking on the Cummins engines is probably the best out there IMHO, the old Cats pulled hills better but didn't have near as good hold back going down the other side.

There's a DEF tank but it's just for looks

(I hate to admit I haven't checked to see if it's an NOS ISX-15 or a X-15 ) When I stopped wrenching on things I stopped paying that much attention.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 8:45:24 AM EDT
[#48]
Rear ended by a straight truck back in 97.
Drove a couple more months after but crawled out and went dump truck local.
Went to school in my off months and got into I.T.

When I picked up the load the guy told me the driver of the truck was so drunk he couldn't walk. (Him meaning me)
I asked if the driver was fired and he said yes.
I said "that's funny, I was the driver."

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 2:57:06 PM EDT
[#49]
@Crazyascanbe

Where were those photos taken?

Thanks for sharing the photos and story.  I know this subform isn't really busy, but I'd like to see more of this stuff posted in here.

Link Posted: 3/31/2024 3:17:01 PM EDT
[#50]
@Woodchuck1

It was in Binghamton NY

I just left the truckstop and was about 2 miles down the road.
Just washed the truck when it happened.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top