Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/2/2024 11:17:29 AM EDT
I remain astonished at the capabilities and complexities of these 3-D printers. For example, I was printing something this week, and it seems my Prusa was able to detect that what my heart really desired was... an Afro...

IMG_2479 by Jim QRB, on Flickr

I did not buy this printer to print such things, but I thought it might be interesting to print one of the "Harlot" pistols I had seen posted here. Imagine my surprise when I discovered this simple design incorporated a self-dissassembly feature!

IMG_2481 by Jim QRB, on Flickr

Could have sworn I printed that with 100% infill.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 1:06:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Deerhurst] [#1]
Everyone tells me prusa is infallible.

More to printing than just infill. Judging by the failure is across layer lines and not with them so that is good.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 1:22:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 1:51:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Not going to lie OP, both seem like PEBKAC errors.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 1:54:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By crazyelece:
Not going to lie OP, both seem like PEBKAC errors.
View Quote

Agree.

This isn't on Prusa, OP.

I miss details too. First one could have been loading PETG while you meant to load PLA, as an example.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 2:39:22 PM EDT
[#5]
lol. I have had the filament hairball more than once.

But my ancient XYZ doesnt have a heated bed.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 3:31:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: QRB] [#6]
No, I am not laying any blame on the equipment, and my Prusa has performed exceedingly well. I was just trying to make light of a couple failures I had this week.

The hairball was a result of trying to print a very tall cylindrical object with a fairly small footprint. It was a long print, and it lost its grip on the build surface after I went to bed at about 02:00.

The Harlot failure is on me as well. I printed all the parts I presumed to be under greatest stress out of pla plus. The two frame side panels were of plain pla, and I really thought I had printed them at 100% infill, but looking at the break, that was not the case.

I reprinted in pla plus at 100%, and test fire (supressed) was uneventful and giggle inducing.

I just thought some of you might laugh along with me at my screwup this week. And, being an old guy, I'm not fluent in acronyms. If "PEBKAC" means I'm a dumbass, yup, you're spot on!
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 3:33:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By QRB:
No, I am not laying any blame on the equipment, and my Prusa has performed exceedingly well. I was just trying to make light of a couple failures I had this week.

The hairball was a result of trying to print a very tall cylindrical object with a fairly small footprint. It was a long print, and it lost its grip on the build surface after I went to bed at about 02:00.

The Harlot failure is on me as well. I printed all the parts I presumed to be under greatest stress out of pla plus. The two frame side panels were of plain pla, and I really thought I had printed them at 100% infill, but looking at the break, that was not the case.

I reprinted in pla plus at 100%, and test fire (supressed) was uneventful and giggle inducing.

I just thought some of you might laugh along with me at my screwup this week.
View Quote

Key is turning acceleration down on those tall, skinny prints.

Link Posted: 4/2/2024 3:36:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By -Obsessed-:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/467079/20221114_110444_jpg-2599693.JPG
View Quote

EXCELLENT tip! Thanks!!!
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 3:40:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By QRB:

EXCELLENT tip! Thanks!!!
View Quote

That print I think I had set to 250mm/s2

I printed three of them in a row, all came out fine.

It's the dowel for my 5kg spool holder I designed.

Link Posted: 4/7/2024 1:13:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By -Obsessed-:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/467079/20221114_110444_jpg-2599693.JPG
View Quote

I always found if possible that a raft was the best for tall skinny prints plus turning down acceleration.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top