Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/10/2024 2:25:00 PM EDT
Alright, where I grew up we never went anywhere or did anything outside of a funeral that required any clothing even halfway decent. Slacks and a dress shirt is about it, tie very rarely.

My wardrobe really needs work. I don’t even own a jacket of any kind. Where do I start? I’d like to start with something fairly flexible but I know I’m going to end up with at least one suit as well.

Church is a good use case, polos and jeans are about the mid mark for men but it seems like men’s dress is slowly sliding towards lazy and I don’t want to follow. Upgrading my wardrobe with at least a jacket would be a start.

Cost is a factor too, what kind of money should I be expecting to spend? Setting aside money for a suit later may be advisable vs just cheap now.

Any shops/chains to go ask in OK? Tulsa or OKC are fine.
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 2:39:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Make sure you wear pants!
Don’t be like Clark.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 2:54:22 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm not a clothing snob personally.

I get a lot of stuff at Kohl's. I literally cannot kill Haggar slacks. I bet I've washed them 2,000 times.

I'd pay $200/pair for them. They are bomb proof.

Arrow is their brand of shirts and they are okay but they do fall apart eventually. I've found that nice shirts are worth the price, but pants, in my experience, alisnt worth it.

I got a suit from Men's Warehouse. They have deep discounts and play games but at the end of the day I got a coat and slacks for like $270. I felt that was fair.
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 2:55:34 PM EDT
[#3]
About a year ago I got a job that requires tie and jacket.

I will say the first thing to buy is a navy jacket, then a black jacket.  These are the two most versatile things I wear.  

We have a decent second hand place here and I would look into that there before you go to a "new" store.  As far as stores I have had good luck with Belks, mainly my wife's store and she gets rewards.  They have a good selection of what seems to be decent jackets pants and shirts in a good size selection.
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 3:52:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Back when I was building my business wardrobe, post-Army, I used Jos. A. Bank a lot. They are always having sales, so get on their e-mail list.

Clothing is pretty well sized and usually fits bodies within their fit chart. There might be a store near you.

Jos. A. Bank

I like their "Traveler line" as the shirts are almost 100% wrinkle-free and have had a long life. Their clothing also comes in "regular" and "trim" with more of a taper.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 5:22:46 PM EDT
[#5]
After not buying any clothes for myself since before covid, I've been buying clothes left and right lately. Going through a phase I guess, but I've also started dressing like a grown up (at 53).

For ideas and to burn a hole in your pocket just like arfcom does, go look around at thefedoralounge.com

Before you spend any money on things like dress shirts/suits/fitted jackets/ shoes etc., get your measurements taken.  I have not done this, and it limits what I dare to buy online.

When you're ready to spend money, poshmark is awesome.  I've spent a ton on there over the past month, and couldn't be happier with the things I've gotten that I could never afford or bring myself to spend the money on new.  And if you get something that doesn't fit or that you don't like, it's incredibly easy to turn around and sell it again on poshmark. (It's not like eBay, it's super easy, and the shipping is part of the selling price, and you can just have the post office scan your phone to print the label. )
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 9:43:24 PM EDT
[#6]
I am a huge fan of Men's Wearhouse.  They have formal wear, suits, sports coats and casual clothing.  

Their employees attend training in men's dress. When I left law enforcement I was in need of suits.  A very sharp dressing man referred me to a book by John T Molloy, The New Men's Dress for Success.  It was the definitive word on business dress.  I found that the employees at MW were pretty much aligned with the book.  

I buy my jeans there, their brand by Joseph Abboud.  I buy almost all of my clothing and non-athletic shoes there.  

As a member, you save up points and get bonus dollars.  

Link Posted: 1/17/2024 10:03:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By -Obsessed-:
I'm not a clothing snob personally.

I get a lot of stuff at Kohl's. I literally cannot kill Haggar slacks. I bet I've washed them 2,000 times.

I'd pay $200/pair for them. They are bomb proof.

Arrow is their brand of shirts and they are okay but they do fall apart eventually. I've found that nice shirts are worth the price, but pants, in my experience, alisnt worth it.

I got a suit from Men's Warehouse. They have deep discounts and play games but at the end of the day I got a coat and slacks for like $270. I felt that was fair.
View Quote

This is a good post. ^^
Those Haggar pants are great.

Get a grey suit and a blue suit. Get white shirts and blue shirts. Get brown shoes and black shoes. Get a few ties. Get a watch.

With these few things, you can cover a lot of ground. For your description, you don’t need to spend big money on a bespoke suit. Go to Kohls or Belk and buy them on sale.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 10:29:21 PM EDT
[#8]
If you only learn one thing about men's clothing it is this: there is absolutely no reason to own a black suit if you're not a waiter or a chauffeur. Unless they're dressed in a tuxedo, gentlemen don't wear black. Charcoal, grey or blue. Hell, even brown and tan on occasion. But not black. Black suits are for dumbfucks who just bought their first suit and thought it was supposed to be black. It's not.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 11:01:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jayjohnny] [#9]
One thing that I have picked up in the last few years is the idea of action pants.

Search them up. This will increase your overall game even on casual days.  So many companies make them, just be sure to patronize one that supports your values.

ETA: you can get those that are less tactical if that isn't your thing.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 12:30:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Bladeswitcher:

If you only learn one thing about men's clothing it is this: there is absolutely no reason to own a black suit if you're not a waiter or a chauffeur. Unless they're dressed in a tuxedo, gentlemen don't wear black. Charcoal, grey or blue. Hell, even brown and tan on occasion. But not black. Black suits are for dumbfucks who just bought their first suit and thought it was supposed to be black. It's not.
View Quote

This too
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 3:27:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By txinvestigator:

This too
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By txinvestigator:

This too

Another full agree on this one.
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 3:32:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By jayjohnny:
One thing that I have picked up in the last few years is the idea of action pants.

Search them up. This will increase your overall game even on casual days.  So many companies make them, just be sure to patronize one that supports your values.

ETA: you can get those that are less tactical if that isn't your thing.
View Quote

Definitely this. There are some dressier looking hiking pants that I much prefer over jeans for casual wear.  Eddie Bauer and Wrangler make some.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 2:02:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 217] [#13]
Look at the 40OverFashion and RealMenRealStyle YouTube channels. Great advice in building a solid wardrobe that’s fairly middle of the road and versatile, so you’re not spending tons of money.

You’ll look put together but not like you’re trying too hard.

Big fan of Joseph A Bank and Men’s Wearhouse here.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 2:04:21 PM EDT
[#14]

View Quote

Solid advice.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 2:20:20 PM EDT
[#15]
General advice - stick with classic colors & styles that fit well.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 2:27:46 PM EDT
[#16]
It's getting tougher these days to find well-cut jackets and suits in the off-the-rack mass market. Perhaps in response to the COVID-adjacent increase in remote work and decrease in demand for "nice" clothes, a lot of the department store and mall store stuff has gone way down in quality for, even 5 years back.

The suit-specific stores like Jos A Bank and Men's Warehouse deserve a look, but I'd caution you about sales tactics, especially with the latter. If you see a brand and type there that fits you there, you may very well find it in a department store (trick is knowing what stores carry what lines) for less, and nit feel pressure to buy 2 or more suits to "save" money. It's also worth stopping and checking places like Brooks Brothers, because while their prices can be inexplicable, quality and sizing is inconsistent, and service can really suck, you can never find that perfect jacket on sale unless you are there to see it and try it on.

The positive thing these days is it is cheaper than ever to get quality, custom made clothing from a growing number of locations.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 2:29:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By 217:

Solid advice.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 217:

Solid advice.

Jake and Elwood are saddened by this.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 2:32:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GlutealCleft] [#18]
OK.  Here's a tip that works well if you don't know anything about clothing or putting together an outfit...

Walk into a clothing store, and pick the mannequin with the sharpest-looking outfit.  Walk up to one of the people working there and say "I like that outfit, can you help me find the pieces in my size?"  BAM, you'll have a sharp-looking outfit.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 2:34:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By GlutealCleft:
OK.  Here's a tip that works well if you don't know anything about clothing...

Walk into a clothing store, and pick the mannequin with the sharpest-looking outfit.  Walk up to one of the people working there and say "I like that outfit, can you help me find the pieces in my size?"  BAM, you'll have a sharp-looking outfit.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/20/2024 2:48:08 PM EDT
[#20]
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Bohr_Adam:
Originally Posted By GlutealCleft:
OK.  Here's a tip that works well if you don't know anything about clothing...

https://64.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lrbk1x1RyD1qbp56no1_r1_400.gif

Hah.

I should have said "Then get it tailored."  It's simple, but even the biggest fashion retard can end up looking good.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 10:38:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Check out dappered.com it offer’s good traditional style advice with smart spending in mind.

To start dressing better I’d recommend a casual sport coat. Check out this article for more info https://dappered.com/2023/03/in-review-target-goodfellow-stretch-cotton-blazer/
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 10:19:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Op I know your in Oklahoma but I'm sure it's still chilly in the winter do

yourself a favor and get a pea coat they have been around since clothing was invented

and will never go out of style and look extremely classy .

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top