Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 79
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 12:11:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Harlikwin:

Once we have the F4 and 23, the CW stuff should be pretty interesting. And honestly the basic carrier landing stuff is probably one of the better done things about the hornet. As for the EF I'm sure people will have fun with it, that was never in question, it just won't be a realistic module IMO.

Honestly I feel like DCS modern is mostly a boondoggle. The jets can't be done to a very high level of fidelity, and honestly power-point bombing runs are kinda boring for me, as is fox3 tennis. Plus ultimately modern is basically a blue-on-blue simulator. Like how many more modern jets can ED credibly make after the EF... A rafale or 2000-5 is about it for france. We might get an early model superbug. But thats truly about it. Deka just basically admitted they can't make anything modern chinese with that J-8PP annoucement. And aside from like a 1984 verision of the mig29 that may eventually come, thats about it.

Meanwhile... Cold war. You have a shitload of planes left to do, even the big names like the 104, 105, jaguar, EE-lighting, mirage3 etc, that are actually relatively well balanced technology wise for any given decade up until the late 80's and they are ton of fun to employ with specific niches. So CW eventually will become the core focus of DCS whether or not anyone likes it or not.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RolandofGilead:

That's cool. I will get more into CW era stuff when the F4 comes out. I'm not arguing your points, you are 100% correct, I'm just pointing out that modeled totally correct or not, carrier ops in a Hornet is FUN, and flying the EF will be as well (for me and a lot of others at least).

Once we have the F4 and 23, the CW stuff should be pretty interesting. And honestly the basic carrier landing stuff is probably one of the better done things about the hornet. As for the EF I'm sure people will have fun with it, that was never in question, it just won't be a realistic module IMO.

Honestly I feel like DCS modern is mostly a boondoggle. The jets can't be done to a very high level of fidelity, and honestly power-point bombing runs are kinda boring for me, as is fox3 tennis. Plus ultimately modern is basically a blue-on-blue simulator. Like how many more modern jets can ED credibly make after the EF... A rafale or 2000-5 is about it for france. We might get an early model superbug. But thats truly about it. Deka just basically admitted they can't make anything modern chinese with that J-8PP annoucement. And aside from like a 1984 verision of the mig29 that may eventually come, thats about it.

Meanwhile... Cold war. You have a shitload of planes left to do, even the big names like the 104, 105, jaguar, EE-lighting, mirage3 etc, that are actually relatively well balanced technology wise for any given decade up until the late 80's and they are ton of fun to employ with specific niches. So CW eventually will become the core focus of DCS whether or not anyone likes it or not.

I really like using the targeting pods. I don't know why. It's fun.

Once everything is released, I will probably spend the most time in the F-15 and F-4, then a bit of time in both the Corsair and the EF.

Link Posted: 2/20/2023 10:41:37 PM EDT
[#2]

I'm guessing the F4 comes maybe mid year. And 23 if it comes this year at all will be like late Dec, or more likely next year sometime, it will likely also be feature incomplete. I assume the F15 release is gonna soak up resources for 6 months fixing bugs etc. after its released. But the 23 team lead is saying there is a chance of a 23 in 23.
View Quote
That would be funny if they EAed the 23 in 2023. I'm not expecting it for at least another year personally. I'm thinking F4, and F15e will be soaking up my dcs time this year.
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 1:28:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Alaskanforfreedom:
That would be funny if they EAed the 23 in 2023. I'm not expecting it for at least another year personally. I'm thinking F4, and F15e will be soaking up my dcs time this year.
View Quote

Yeah I expect the F15, F4, and the F4U hopefully.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 6:32:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Man o man. I just fired up DCS for the first time in probably a year. I basically forgot everything and am starting over. The basic skills are still there but I can't remember any of the key binds to save my life.
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 8:28:42 PM EDT
[#5]
MT is quite good, but the fact that exports dont work yet is a deal breaker for me.

But in the Caucasus Hornet free flight, im all maxed out and my FPS is stuck at 180 !!!!
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 9:16:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Shung:
MT is quite good, but the fact that exports dont work yet is a deal breaker for me.

But in the Caucasus Hornet free flight, im all maxed out and my FPS is stuck at 180 !!!!
View Quote

TBH MT is a mixed bag, its got a ton of bugs currently. And at least for VR it moved the needle, on MP servers I went from 45-60s to 60s-80's so like 20fps or so. Not bad, but far far from the Iron Mikes HB troll posts of 4x improvement in FPS.

My problem is that reshade works in ST, but not in MT for some reason... so its fakt...
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 5:40:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: clayvt] [#7]
I noticed only slight improvements on the marianas AH-64 instant action with a reverb G2.  looking out to the side there is a little bit less building/environment stutter.  But I already have a Ryzen 7900X and 4090 so I don't know how much improvement I'm actually going to see.

But nothing was noticeably broken in my 20min flight.
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 10:37:46 AM EDT
[#8]
I think it was a really good move to make it optional at this early stage.  I'm on the road and haven't been able to try it out, but I'm looking forward to it.  I didn't really have too many issues before but every little increase counts
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 1:14:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Shung] [#9]

TBH MT is a mixed bag, its got a ton of bugs currently. And at least for VR it moved the needle, on MP servers I went from 45-60s to 60s-80's so like 20fps or so. Not bad, but far far from the Iron Mikes HB troll posts of 4x improvement in FPS.

My problem is that reshade works in ST, but not in MT for some reason... so its fakt...
View Quote

i got reshade to wortk in MT. just had to reinstall it over the new exe

for me, all maxed out with exports (there is a trick to get exports to work on some airplanes like the Hornet and Viper) im capped at 180 FPS (more like 140 with the standard exe)
Link Posted: 3/12/2023 8:13:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Shung:

i got reshade to wortk in MT. just had to reinstall it over the new exe

for me, all maxed out with exports (there is a trick to get exports to work on some airplanes like the Hornet and Viper) im capped at 180 FPS (more like 140 with the standard exe)
View Quote

Yeah it doesnt work in VR for MT. MT is openXR only now.
Link Posted: 3/12/2023 8:22:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Still CPU bound in WMR VR with MT for some reason. 10600K/2080S. It actually runs much worse than normal.
Link Posted: 3/12/2023 10:29:15 PM EDT
[#12]
I got about a 20 percent increase in frames, AND was able to bump up some settings that I otherwise couldn't touch. This in VR and I am running anywhere from 45-80 FPS depending on higher or lower altitude across all maps. Haven't been on a big server with tons of planes etc but still pretty good.
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 2:58:50 PM EDT
[#13]
So it's been a while since I last checked in here.  I got distracted with IL2 for a couple years.  When BSIII released, I dusted off my Shark and got to work.

Now I have a full winwing HOTAS, including the shark collective.  I also have the F5, the F16, the Shark, the 109, the P47, Channel, Normandy, Syria maps.  And today with the sale, just added the Viggen and Persian Gulf.
Been spending some time on Rotorheads, and of course ECW and TBF.

Where do you arfcommers hang out now?  And do we have a Squadron and/or discord?
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 3:08:13 PM EDT
[#14]
And yes, the Multithread update was pretty nice.  I have a gaming laptop with a Ryzen 7 and a RTX2060, saw decent performance boost in 2D, and even VR once I figured out somethings it went from 14fps (yes, Fourteen) to about 35, so it's playable, offline, at least.
Online was improved, but I noticed some more stuttering there.  Not sure if it was always there and just covered up by lower frame rates, or if it's a new issue with servers not being optimized for all the other stuff in the patch yet.
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 5:40:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Sale on now

DCS SPRING SALE 23 | 50% DISCOUNT

Link Posted: 3/16/2023 6:34:40 AM EDT
[#16]
I think its just the apache,  didn't see any improvement in it,  but in a viper and spitfire saw 20-30 more fps everywhere.
Link Posted: 3/17/2023 12:40:22 AM EDT
[#17]

View Quote

Yeah, he's such a fucking troll that guy.

Link Posted: 3/17/2023 10:52:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Harlikwin] [#18]
Originally Posted By lancecriminal86:

View Quote

Did you see a 4x frame improvement. From 50 to 200? Cuz I don't know a single person on flat screen that saw anything anywhere near that. And in VR people are reporting about what I have "at best". And truth be told on some servers I've seen basically 0 improvement in fps with MT.

Link Posted: 3/17/2023 11:09:14 AM EDT
[#19]
I've also got about a 20 fps increase with MT, no issues so far. 20 fps is pretty huge tbh.
Link Posted: 3/17/2023 11:16:06 AM EDT
[#20]
I've also got about a 20 fps increase with MT, no issues so far. 20 fps is pretty huge tbh.
View Quote

No kidding.

“ED only sells modules and doesn’t fix the engine” then when they drop a huge improvement to the engine some people still complain.  
Link Posted: 3/17/2023 11:35:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By SmilingBandit:

No kidding.

"ED only sells modules and doesn't fix the engine" then when they drop a huge improvement to the engine some people still complain.  
View All Quotes

No kidding.

"ED only sells modules and doesn't fix the engine" then when they drop a huge improvement to the engine some people still complain.  

Yeah man, they can't win. Don't get me wrong, ED makes mistakes and there are legit criticisms, but this OPTIONAL MT update that adds 20 fps for most people is pretty fucking great. People would bitch if they didn't make the update too.
Link Posted: 3/17/2023 12:33:56 PM EDT
[#22]
I’m beyond happy with the MT thus far. Everything seems to run a hell of a lot smoother, there appears to be more depth as well (I use VR exclusively).
Link Posted: 3/17/2023 4:58:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Marianas which is usually a shit show is giving me an average of about 65 fps, dipping as low as 55 and hitting as high as 91. In a spit.

That's an absolute massive improvement.
Corsair gonna be fun.
Link Posted: 3/17/2023 7:20:47 PM EDT
[#24]

Did you see a 4x frame improvement. From 50 to 200? Cuz I don't know a single person on flat screen that saw anything anywhere near that. And in VR people are reporting about what I have "at best". And truth be told on some servers I've seen basically 0 improvement in fps with MT.

View All Quotes

Some folks on the testing side did, depending on settings.

And the server side isn't MT yet, whenever that happens MP probably will see increases, especially as they start to split more functions off.
Link Posted: 3/17/2023 9:02:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Harlikwin] [#25]

No kidding.

“ED only sells modules and doesn’t fix the engine” then when they drop a huge improvement to the engine some people still complain.  
View Quote

To be fair, the core game still needs a ton of work. The performance stuff is sorely needed if they actually want to grow a customer base beyond the 12900k/4090 crowd. I know lots of people struggling to play DCS on potato-PC's that are generally very happy about the MT update. Hopefully even more folks once they integrate DLSS and Vulkan later on.

But really, the core "game" needs a ton of work, everything from ground unit AI, really basic sensor modeling (i.e. IR missile that don't work thru clouds (even WT has this right), to stuff like actually workable IADS stuff as well as basic mission planning stuff that actually works well in MP. The community has alot of fixes and workarounds for this, but its all stuff that really should be there at a basic level from ED, since alot of it doesn't work online due to IC concerns.

Given that ED is basically making 30% on each 3rd party module sold, hopefully the plethora of popular modules coming in will mean they can focus more on core game stuff and worry less about pushing out modules.

Link Posted: 3/17/2023 9:03:45 PM EDT
[#26]

Some folks on the testing side did, depending on settings.

And the server side isn't MT yet, whenever that happens MP probably will see increases, especially as they start to split more functions off.
View Quote

From what I'm hearing the server side MT stuff isn't sounding like its coming soon, or will see major performance benefits. Hopefully I'm hearing wrong.
Link Posted: 5/2/2023 2:05:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Hey guys, just upgraded from an Odyssey+ to a Meta Quest Pro. I'm using it tethered with the Link cable.
Any recommendations for good tweaks?
My setup:
Ryzen 5800x3d
AMD 6950xt
32gig RAM
Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 2:36:17 PM EDT
[#28]

Good luck, hope your CPU isn't the bottleneck. In my case I can only get actual 100% out of my 3090 offline, as online my 12900k CPU is the limiting factor, I get like 60-70% load on the GPU.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CavScout:
RTX 4090 flyers check in! Mine arrives today, G2 is ready to go but I think I need to get an Aero upgrade soon as well!

Good luck, hope your CPU isn't the bottleneck. In my case I can only get actual 100% out of my 3090 offline, as online my 12900k CPU is the limiting factor, I get like 60-70% load on the GPU.

Also....

Yeah told ya so...

But now to make you cry more...

I went from a 12900k/3090 to a 12900k/4090, and my GPU frametimes were cut in half. That was a game changer (esp for shit like MSFS). But even in DCS I'm getting a solid 90fps in VR, unless the online server is a shitshow CPU wise (like ECW, but even there I gained 5-10fps).

I went from like 14ms frame times in VR to like 7-8... (you need sub 10ms in both CPU and GPU to be at 90fps)

I'm going to build out a PC for VR.  (I haven't played for 2 years, but I have the hotas, the stand, and the goggles....) The PC I have is:

Intel i7 6700k processor
24 gig of ram
1080 ti NVidia graphics card
Win 10

So, what y'all are telling me is, go with a 13th gen Intel, and a 3090? (Instead of a 12th gen processor and a 4090?)

Also, what is "MT"? I keep reading this thread backwards, but can't figure it out....
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 5:54:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Multithreading.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 8:08:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Mugzilla:

Also....

I'm going to build out a PC for VR.  (I haven't played for 2 years, but I have the hotas, the stand, and the goggles....) The PC I have is:

Intel i7 6700k processor
24 gig of ram
1080 ti NVidia graphics card
Win 10

So, what y'all are telling me is, go with a 13th gen Intel, and a 3090? (Instead of a 12th gen processor and a 4090?)

Also, what is "MT"? I keep reading this thread backwards, but can't figure it out....
View Quote

Lower end systems can work in VR. Especially now with MT. Low end guys saw bigger performance jumps than the higher end processors. I'd go with a lower end VR headset tho. Honestly I wouldnt expect that to run well in VR, but flat screen should be fine.  
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 1:01:07 PM EDT
[#31]

Lower end systems can work in VR. Especially now with MT. Low end guys saw bigger performance jumps than the higher end processors. I'd go with a lower end VR headset tho. Honestly I wouldnt expect that to run well in VR, but flat screen should be fine.  
View Quote

If I was to build out a new PC, should I go with a 13th gen Intel, and a 3090? (Instead of a 12th gen processor and a 4090?)  I'm finding articles saying the 3080 / 3090 is best for DCS. But, I don't know the date of the article.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 6:20:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Mugzilla:

If I was to build out a new PC, should I go with a 13th gen Intel, and a 3090? (Instead of a 12th gen processor and a 4090?)  I'm finding articles saying the 3080 / 3090 is best for DCS. But, I don't know the date of the article.
View Quote

I'd go for the 12th and 4090, thats what I'm running, the 4090 was a huge upgrade from the 3090. Especially if ED actually gets DLSS 3.0 working (which is what MSFS did to double framerates on the 40x series cards)
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 12:17:39 PM EDT
[#33]
I have a 12900K and a 3070, and a G2 for now. Is the 4090 worth it and do I need a new power supply? I have a 1000 watt Seasonic Gold. Currently my rig in DCS is pulling ~ 450 watts at full song.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 7:45:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By BRS1912:
I have a 12900K and a 3070, and a G2 for now. Is the 4090 worth it and do I need a new power supply? I have a 1000 watt Seasonic Gold. Currently my rig in DCS is pulling ~ 450 watts at full song.
View Quote

4090 will certainly be an upgrade. What sort of frames do you have with the g2 now?

A 1k PS is fine. I have an 800W and it works. The main thing is making sure you have 4 spare power lines for it.
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 12:33:02 AM EDT
[#35]

4090 will certainly be an upgrade. What sort of frames do you have with the g2 now?

A 1k PS is fine. I have an 800W and it works. The main thing is making sure you have 4 spare power lines for it.
View Quote

I get around 50-65 with pretty good settings. Some high, some medium.
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 4:44:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Would it be worth the cost to upgrade from an AMD 6950xt to a 4090?
I'm wondering if the extra $1000 would really get me a worthwhile performance improvement.
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 7:46:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By SquatchAv8:
Would it be worth the cost to upgrade from an AMD 6950xt to a 4090?
I'm wondering if the extra $1000 would really get me a worthwhile performance improvement.
View Quote

No comment on amd stuff, dont use it.
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 7:47:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By BRS1912:

I get around 50-65 with pretty good settings. Some high, some medium.
View Quote

I get like 60 online with my setup running an aero at 4k per eye. I'd bet you could get near 90 with a 4090.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 7:29:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Well, went nuts and bought a 4090. I'll sell the 6950xt.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 7:46:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By SquatchAv8:
Well, went nuts and bought a 4090. I'll sell the 6950xt.
View Quote

You should.be set for a while. Glad you didnt have to pay bitcoin scalper prices either.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 9:51:21 PM EDT
[#41]
F-15E Strike Eagle Vs Mig-29 Fulcrum | SCRAMBLE | Preview | Digital Combat Simulator | DCS | RAZBAM
Link Posted: 6/11/2023 11:52:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: IL2windhawk] [#42]
Now that we have Falklands AND Sanai, we need a Mirage III.  I'm dying to fly 6 Day War recreations.  At least we'll get the F4 pretty soon, and MiG17 is coming... but MirageIII seems like just wishful thinking at this point.  Its pretty low on the Razbam vaporware list.  Maybe I'll try making a mod.

Link Posted: 6/11/2023 4:20:42 PM EDT
[#43]
Sinai map is pretty great, absolutely worth $40
Link Posted: 6/11/2023 10:59:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Sinai map is pretty great, absolutely worth $40
View Quote

Totally agree.  It's my new favorite
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 1:37:52 PM EDT
[#45]
ED/Razbam have resleased the Strike Eagle. Servers are getting hammered.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 2:11:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By MBentz:
ED/Razbam have resleased the Strike Eagle. Servers are getting hammered.
View Quote

Yep module store is phucked.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 5:49:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mars87] [#47]
Got it installed and most of the needed controls mapped. Looks like I need to brush up on my TGP laser skills. Got too used to the JDAMs in the F-16.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 6:00:02 PM EDT
[#48]
about to strap this bad boy on

Link Posted: 6/22/2023 8:21:36 PM EDT
[#49]
Still hopelessly waiting on the A-6 Intruder
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 1:36:35 AM EDT
[#50]
Early Access Launch of the DCS: F-15E by RAZBAM

DCS: F-15E Top Tips

Radar channels are modelled, so if in MP all are close together and on channel A, then they will see interference that looks like jamming on the radar - they need to deconflict channels.
PACS - All none smart weapons have to be manually input into the jet on each in game rearm.
Mic switch needs to be set to "on" to communicate with ground crew - default it is off.
A/P button on the UFC keypad not only shows the autopilot menu, but also enables autopilot. If they want to just look at the menu, then use the UFC PB9 from the main menu.  (This is correct behaviour)
LANTRIN pod will prohibit laser use above 25kft - intended behaviour.
LANTRIN Pod has only FLIR function, no CCD/TV.
There is an option in F-15E special options to set how many processor cores are used for the radar - adjusting this will help with FPS issues.
Cold Start - Apply the parking brake before setting INS to ALIGN, otherwise the process may fail. Avoid rearming whilst alignment is in progress.

DCS: F-15E by RAZBAM - Known Issues

Bombs dropped in AUTO mode can land long of target for wings level release. It is recommended to do a dive bombing for improved accuracy.
CBUs can open prematurely, specially if dropped above 1500 ft AGL
HUD Repeater in MPCD sometimes not visible
MFD exports not yet implemented
Volume control for TEWS & TACAN WIP
WSO HOTAS commands WIP
AA/AG Gun piper aims high.
Some items on UFC not synced between front and back cockpit - WIP
Cockpit Mirrors not symmetrical
Rear cockpit MFD displays cannot be programmed.
It is not possible to change the GBUs laser code with the kneeboard.
Sometimes PACS does not automatically recognize a weapons load. It must be manually entered.
GUARD is not monitored when selected in the Presets and active mode is Manual Frequency
Using AG Radar HRM mode can cause a drop in FPS during the image digitalization phase. This depends on the running computer specs.
Very Rarely, when using AG Radar, DCS will freeze for a second while checking the terrain. This depends on the running computer specs.
It is recommended to use the AG radar with DCS MT.
AI wingmen will attack with gun only despite having more relevant ordnance.
Dumping fuel will cause fuel totalizer to read 0.
View Quote

Bolded tips for those who missed the thread on the DCS forum like I did.
Page / 79
Top Top