Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/22/2023 7:57:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tradhntr]
Hello gang!  I served 7 years in the Army and am a little familiar with the recruiting process.  However, I am seeking some help from all of you.  

My son is looking into the Air Force, he just took the ASVAB, afqt score 71, mechanical 78.  His next step is MEPPS, in a couple of weeks.  If that is a go, then he will pick his jobs.

1.  Recruitor says he needs to pick 10 jobs to have a better chance at getting something.  I don’t want him to pick 10, because I already know he will probably get his 10th pick.
Im thinking maybe he should pick 3 or 4 and if they can’t put him into something he really wants then they don’t need him.  What say the hive?

2.  He is getting ready to turn 18.  He has been working at a small garage and has learned quite a bit of mechanical work.  So, he wants to go into the mechanical field, aircraft.  Or,  maybe heavy equipment operator.

Any recommendations on mechanical jobs that have a high demand in the civilian world?

I was Infantry in the Army.  Although I enjoyed it, I want him to take a path in the Air Force that will lead him and pay well on the outside.

Thank all of you, God Bless and Merry Christmas!

Link Posted: 12/22/2023 8:16:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Do you know what his score qualifies him to do?

If not I would get whatever manual the USAF has all that listed in and get smart. In the Navy it was The Enlisted Transfer Manual.

Then I would find out what the manning level is for what he wants to do. The Navy pumps out that data twice a year I think so I imagine the other services do too. I have heard it's in the back of Airman magazine. If the job he wants is undermanned I would call the recruiters bluff, tell him your son wants X or he's going to another service. It's your sons life and you really don't want him in an occupation he hates for 4 years.
Link Posted: 12/22/2023 9:57:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Perhaps a Crew Chief?
Link Posted: 12/22/2023 10:16:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Security Forces with guaranteed duty at Minot or he walks.

Link Posted: 12/22/2023 10:25:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Tradhntr:
Hello gang!  I served 7 years in the Army and am a little familiar with the recruiting process.  However, I am seeking some help from all of you.  

My son is looking into the Air Force, he just took the ASVAB, afqt score 71, mechanical 78.  His next step is MEPPS, in a couple of weeks.  If that is a go, then he will pick his jobs.

1.  Recruitor says he needs to pick 10 jobs to have a better chance at getting something.  I don’t want him to pick 10, because I already know he will probably get his 10th pick.
Im thinking maybe he should pick 3 or 4 and if they can’t put him into something he really wants then they don’t need him.  What say the hive?

2.  He is getting ready to turn 18.  He has been working at a small garage and has learned quite a bit of mechanical work.  So, he wants to go into the mechanical field, aircraft.  Or,  maybe heavy equipment operator.

Any recommendations on mechanical jobs that have a high demand in the civilian world?

I was Infantry in the Army.  Although I enjoyed it, I want him to take a path in the Air Force that will lead him and pay well on the outside.

Thank all of you, God Bless and Merry Christmas!

View Quote

Pick 1 or 2 and wait on those.  DON'T go open anything.  We are talking about a potential lifetime career choice, choose wisely.
Link Posted: 12/22/2023 10:30:46 PM EDT
[#5]
I went in with one job. Didn't budge. Took 11 months before all of a sudden a job popped up at the last minute.. of course after I told the recruiter I was only staying in the DEP for 12 months.

Pick one job. Stick to it. Avoid aircraft maintenance, unless he wants 12 hour days. Unless he goes F35 then its great!
Link Posted: 12/24/2023 6:32:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for everyone’s advice so far.

Anybody have anything else to add.  I would really appreciate it.
Link Posted: 12/24/2023 6:32:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tradhntr] [#7]
Sorry, double tap!
Link Posted: 12/24/2023 8:01:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Tradhntr:
Thanks for everyone’s advice so far.

Anybody have anything else to add.  I would really appreciate it.
View Quote

Did the kid think about a career path yet?
Link Posted: 12/24/2023 8:20:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SmilingBandit] [#9]
Originally Posted By DoubleTaps:
I went in with one job. Didn't budge. Took 11 months before all of a sudden a job popped up at the last minute.. of course after I told the recruiter I was only staying in the DEP for 12 months.

Pick one job. Stick to it. Avoid aircraft maintenance, unless he wants 12 hour days. Unless he goes F35 then it’s great!
View Quote

Flying crew chief on a heavy is one of the greatest young man’s jobs there is.  

But yeah, don’t sign up for ten jobs or anything with “open” on the front of it.
Link Posted: 12/24/2023 8:56:44 PM EDT
[#10]
If it were my kid, I'd suggest he gets something that allows him to easily get his A&P when he gets out. There is a crying shortage for aircraft mechanics.  They are doing very well in my AO.
Link Posted: 12/25/2023 9:55:50 AM EDT
[#11]
The army has aviation maintenance jobs.
Link Posted: 12/25/2023 10:13:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: axl] [#12]
Originally Posted By murderface01:
The army has aviation maintenance jobs.
View Quote

When my son turned 18 I took him to the USAF recruiting office and told them he was going into jet engine maintenance. He scored well, went to MEPs, they tried the dance around, he was prepared. Jet engines or my dad can be here in an hour to take me home. He got what he wanted. He retired as a Senior Master Sergeant two years ago at 38. Four years in S. Carolina, four years in Italy, Four years in Hawaii, the rest was between Germany, Japan, Middle East, and New Mexico. Air Force enlisted live like senior NCOs in the Army. He was able to finish his BA and also get an MA while on AD. Every post we visited (Texas, S, Carolina, Hawaii, Italy) was clean, safe, well maintained, and the airmen disciplined and polite. As a retired SFC I knew what I was seeing. I know the difference. An Army post is like a low end trailer park compared to an Air Force base.
Link Posted: 12/25/2023 6:04:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By axl:

When my son turned 18 I took him to the USAF recruiting office and told them he was going into jet engine maintenance. He scored well, went to MEPs, they tried the dance around, he was prepared. Jet engines or my dad can be here in an hour to take me home. He got what he wanted. He retired as a Senior Master Sergeant two years ago at 38. Four years in S. Carolina, four years in Italy, Four years in Hawaii, the rest was between Germany, Japan, Middle East, and New Mexico. Air Force enlisted live like senior NCOs in the Army. He was able to finish his BA and also get an MA while on AD. Every post we visited (Texas, S, Carolina, Hawaii, Italy) was clean, safe, well maintained, and the airmen disciplined and polite. As a retired SFC I knew what I was seeing. I know the difference. An Army post is like a low end trailer park compared to an Air Force base.
View Quote

I “may” know your kid.
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 8:41:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks everyone!  He goes to the MEPS station this week.  Hopefully, all medical checks out and then he can pick his job.  He is wanting to be a heavy machine operator, so we will see.
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 9:00:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Awesome. My son does engine maintenance on f-15’s. He loves it. His duty station is in the UK, but he is TDY’d to the Middle East for the next 6 months or so. He works 12 hours a day, but he says he’d rather be at work because there’s nothing else to do.
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 10:40:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By FightingHellfish:
Security Forces with guaranteed duty at Minot or he walks.

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 10:53:21 AM EDT
[#17]
I wanted an Option 40 contract. MEPS told me there were no slots available. I told them ok, send me back home then. They had me wait in the lobby and “found” a slot a couple of hours later.  Like it had fallen under some fucking desk or something.

Tell your son to stick to his guns.
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 1:54:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Definitely sticking to his guns!  Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 11:25:45 AM EDT
[#19]
As I mentioned earlier my son is looking at the Pavements and Consruction job.

Anyone else work in the civil engineering field in the Air Force?  

What was your job?  Did you enjoy it?  Do you do that type of work after the Air Force?

While you were in the CE field, did you have opportunities to cross train in other jobs?
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 6:23:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Well gang!  He ended up choosing water and fuel systems maintenance.  He leaves for basic in April.  He is excited and hopefully he has a good tour.

Anyone else have or had this job in the Air Force?  Did you like it?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top