Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/8/2024 1:15:30 PM EDT
https://www.retirees.af.mil/Library/Return-to-Active-Duty/

Up to 1000 Officers 0-3 to 0-5 and Enlisted E-5 to E-8.

- You keep your retired rank and don't test for promotion.
- 48 month max contract
- Can voluntarily deploy
- Must pass intake medical and take PT tests
- Will get EPRs
- No bonuses
- Time will count toward retirement on DD214

Tell me the military ISN'T hurting for people...

Retired officer applicants are limited to Line of the Air Force commissioned officers retired in the grade of captain through lieutenant colonel. Officers who volunteer to return to active duty under the VRRAD program will primarily fill vacant rated staff, active flying staff, Officer Training School, Squadron Officer School, and Jeanne M. Holm Center academic staff. While all members that meet eligibility may apply, we are targeting the following Air Force special duty codes:
11X – Pilot
12X – Combat Systems
13B – Air Battle Manager
13H – Aerospace Physiologist
13M – Airfield Operations
13N – Nuclear and Missile Operations
14X – Information Operations/Intelligence
15X – Operations Analysis and Weather
16X – Operations Support
17X – Cyber Operations
18X – Remotely Piloted Aircraft
19Z – Special Warfare
21X – Logistics
31P – Security Forces
32E – Civil Engineering
35P – Public Affairs
38F – Force Support Officer
61X – Scientific/Research
62X –Developmental Engineering
63X – Acquisition
64P – Contracting
65X – Finance
71S – Special Investigation

Retired enlisted applicants are limited to members retired in the grade of staff sergeant through senior master sergeant. While all members that meet eligibility may apply, the following AFSCs are being targeted:

1C171 – Air Traffic Control
2G071 – Logistics Plans
2T377 – Fleet Management & Analysis
3F071 – Personnel
3P071 – Security Forces
4A271 – Biomedical Equipment
4E071 – Public Health
4N071 – Aerospace Medical Service
4R071 – Diagnostic Imaging
7S071 – Special Investigations
8R000/8R200 – Recruiter(s)
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 2:17:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Air Force:  Desperately needs experienced people back due to its own incompetance.
Also Air Force:  Tries to word its plea for people to come back as if the AF is begrudgingly doing the same people a favor.
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 2:32:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Is the jab still mandatory or is that one of the requirements for deployment?
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 2:49:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Up to 4 years active, no clot shot, & adds 4 years of retirement points?  If they ever take Army, I'd take that deal.
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 2:58:59 PM EDT
[#4]
It must be bad if they're trying to get people to come back to Security Forces, generally that field is always easy to fill.
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 6:03:02 PM EDT
[#5]
My wife ran into my dad and my sister last night in town and she said my dad was on about the Military bringing back a draft of the older guys, to teach the younger guys how to Shoot and Soldier as the new generation is useless or some shit.

I wonder if the above was his version/retelling of the posted story?

Sigh....   My pops will be 75 this March, sometimes I really think he is losing it.  Not just because of this, but he often comes up with some story; partially believable, but parts of it are really ...  
He can never give an accurate quote of where he saw or heard it.  Its always they say...  WTF is They???

Its normally about the Govt (one side or the other) taking something from him ie SS...,  banning something or some war story from his years at the Hazzlewood Ford Assembly plant.

Normally,  if someone tells me "They say" what ever follows is bigly discounted, whether I believe it or not.

Link Posted: 2/8/2024 6:13:01 PM EDT
[#6]
But it you separated without RETIRING big blue doesn’t want you.
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 6:53:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By azwipe:
Is the jab still mandatory or is that one of the requirements for deployment?
View Quote

I don't believe COVID is, but Anthrax is.
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 6:56:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By DD1801:
But it you separated without RETIRING big blue doesn’t want you.
View Quote

If they are down 10k in recruiting goals...they might take you. The guard probably would too.
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 7:17:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By BlackRifleJihad:
I don't believe COVID is, but Anthrax is.
View Quote

Already did Anthrax.
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 7:28:09 PM EDT
[#10]
@beamy
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 7:47:00 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm not taking the massive pay cut just to get a slightly bigger retirement check.
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 10:13:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By HomeAtLast:
@beamy
View Quote

Hell no

I'm loving not having to shave, no more PT, having delicious PA food, and actually being around my family
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 11:32:25 PM EDT
[#13]
F that noise!  Happily retired.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 1:56:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By AF_K9:
View Quote

Do you still get your retired pay?

I mean, you must, right? Because I read through everything and it doesn't seem to mention that.

So pretty crazy deal if you didn't have anything lined up. Retirement pay (~50% salary) + full active duty pay. The few extra percentages in future retirement pay don't even really matter at that point.

But if thats all true, people at 20 years will be running for the doors now, since it sounds like you can apply for this while in the process of retiring. So retire, rejoin, profit. What a clusterfuck for the tax payer.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 9:53:14 AM EDT
[#15]
I’m a happily retired Airman myself and theres no way in hell I would go back in and put up with all the bullshit.  I remember what it was like when Obama was in office, I don’t even want to think what it’s like now.  

Looking at what the program entails they just want you to come back and eat the same shit for nothing extra. If a retiree comes back that means they are putting their lives on hold to serve for no real gain.  I can’t see why they couldn’t incentivize a four year contract with the possibility of a promotion at some point in the activation period. The whole thing seems like a bit from Joe Rogan’s old comedy act where this girl is being asked by her friends why she’s going back to an abusive boyfriend and she says, “Well he promised me he would only hit me in the thigh and not full strength from now on.”

Well Air Force, you reap what you sow.  I sure as hell hope at least some young Captain or Major is looking at this and when they get to a point where they drive things they will remember this and keep stupid shit like this from happening again.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 10:24:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Middlelength:

I mean, you must, right? Because I read through everything and it doesn't seem to mention that.

So pretty crazy deal if you didn't have anything lined up. Retirement pay (~50% salary) + full active duty pay. The few extra percentages in future retirement pay don't even really matter at that point.

But if thats all true, people at 20 years will be running for the doors now, since it sounds like you can apply for this while in the process of retiring. So retire, rejoin, profit. What a clusterfuck for the tax payer.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I doubt it, but even then it's not enough.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 10:39:24 AM EDT
[#17]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AF_K9:  F that noise!  Happily retired.

No, you're not getting retired pay while active.  Folks most interested in this will be retired Reservists & Air National Guard folks who are grey zone retirees and are not getting retired pay until they turn 60, minus any deployment time.

You're transferring from the Retired Reserve to Active Duty, you can't collect retired pay until you transfer back.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 1:25:16 PM EDT
[#18]
No pay yet, retired from ANG, can’t collect for another 18 years

View All Quotes

Link Posted: 2/29/2024 7:17:46 AM EDT
[#19]

View All Quotes

You cannot get both your retainer pay and your active duty pay.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top