Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/8/2024 2:24:22 PM EDT
Years ago I bought a Testor's airbrush kit which used a can of propellant.  I would like to switch over to an tabletop air compressor.  Any suggestions?  Will one of those sold on Amazon in the $30-$50 range be OK?
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 2:55:00 PM EDT
[#1]
I bought this one a couple of years ago.

Master Airbrush Compressor

I've been really happy with it.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 3:20:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By GRENDEL87:

View Quote

Similar to the one I bought.  Works fine and is quiet as well.  Amazon for like $65 a few years back.  Now if I could get my damn airbrush to work worth a damn I'd be happy.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 4:57:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By svt40:

Similar to the one I bought.  Works fine and is quiet as well.  Amazon for like $65 a few years back.  Now if I could get my damn airbrush to work worth a damn I'd be happy.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

What is going on with your airbrush?
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 5:29:25 PM EDT
[#4]

What is going on with your airbrush?
View Quote

It only sprays if the paint is thinned so much it's no longer worth spraying.  Paasche Talon.  Cleaned it many times, new tips, needles and nozzles to no avail.  Has never worked right since I bought it.  Never had this issue with my older DA Paasche or even the old school Badger SA with the propel can.

Looking to get a new airbrush.  Perhaps an Iwata or a Gaahleri Mobius
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 5:58:28 PM EDT
[#5]

It only sprays if the paint is thinned so much it's no longer worth spraying.  Paasche Talon.  Cleaned it many times, new tips, needles and nozzles to no avail.  Has never worked right since I bought it.  Never had this issue with my older DA Paasche or even the old school Badger SA with the propel can.

View Quote

What are you cleaning with?  

I bought some Iwata airbrushes second hand years ago for cheap.  I couldn't get them to spray worth a crap after several "cleanings" with Testors airbrush cleaner.  At that point, I didn't have a lot to lose so, I tore them down as far as I could get them and soaked the tip pieces and body in acetone.  Used dental paper points, q-tips and cleaning brushes.  I pulled a crapload of old dried paint out of them that milder solvents wouldn't touch.  After several hours of multiple soaks and detailed cleaning, they both worked like new.  Still use them to this day.

Sorry for the highjack OP.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 8:27:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Leisure_Shoot] [#6]
I would either buy a quality airbrush style compressor, rather than a really cheap crappy one, unless you very carefully check out reviews.

I bought something like this model that is $110.
It works perfectly, and holds enough air to paint for 20 minutes or so without refilling the tank.  
I can also use it to abrasive blast brass models.
Amazon Product
  • High-Performance Compressor \u2013 Offering professional grade results this small air compressor with 1-gallon pressure tank offers 1HP of power, 115V/60Hz, 120 PSI max, quick connect air coupler outlet, and 1000+ hour cycle capabilities.

I know cheap compressors won't last for 10 years in your garage if you are using them all the time, but for hobby painting, I would expect it to last a very long time.

I use this regulator for $17

and a hose like this (make sure you get one compatible with your airbrush - they all use different fitting sizes)
having a nice long, flexible hose makes it a lot easier to paint and not spill paint.
Amazon Product
  • Airbrush Hose: 10 ft Braided air hose with couplings

plus
Amazon Product
  • Paasche Airbrush Disconnect: The airbrush allows the fast release of connection between Paasche Airbrushes to the air hose

while you're at it, get some of these....
Amazon Product
  • Premium Quality: The high-quality disposable medicinal cups are made up of polypropylene plastic. Ideal to use for measurements and other disposable needs. You can also use these for Pinstriping, airbrush work, crafting, resin casting, and much more. Includes 100 count measuring cups

Link Posted: 3/8/2024 8:32:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Leisure_Shoot:
I would either buy a quality airbrush style compressor, rather than a really cheap crappy one, unless you very carefully check out reviews.

I bought something like this model that is $110.
It works perfectly, and holds enough air to paint for 20 minutes or so without refilling the tank.  
I can also use it to abrasive blast brass models.
www.amazon.com/dp/B0BM5KH4Y8

I know cheap compressors won't last for 10 years in your garage if you are using them all the time, but for hobby painting, I would expect it to last a very long time.
View Quote

^^^^
This.  You really want a compressor with an air tank.  QD fittings for the ab are a great idea.  I use Mac valves from spray gunner.com
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 8:44:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Leisure_Shoot] [#8]

View Quote
I have a Paasche double action that I bought around '95.

I bought one of the $40 ebay/amazon brush kits.
I don't see any difference at all, and I use the cheap one most of the time because I like the top/gravity-feed paint cup better than the Paasche bottom-suction cup. I find the Paasche handle slightly more comfortable.
Amazon Product
  • \u3010High precision \u3011 The professional airbrush is designed with the self-centring plug-in nozzle, it allows this extremely versatile airbrush to be used for extra fine detail spray, overall spray or for 1.5" wide background spray.It's quite easy to change the nozzle and needles effortless as the structure made the needles centering itself. The Open Needle Cap makes it much easier to remove the cap to get higher precision.

Link Posted: 3/8/2024 10:20:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Besides the older Testors' airbrush, I have another kit I bought at either TSC or Rural King.  It's very similar to the Testors, except the wand part is made of metal vs plastic.  Instead of having the "bowl" resevoir on top, they both use a bottle from the uderside of the wand.

It looks like this kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FJQ26M?tag=arfcom00-20
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 10:58:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Leisure_Shoot] [#10]
what are you painting?
and what type of paint?
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 12:26:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Moondog] [#11]
In the past I used Testor's enamel paints.  I've noticed Vallejo also makes some nice paint kits.

I have some older aircraft kits I would like to finish, and get back into model building.  Last year I used rattle cans to prime parts and for larger paint areas.  The smaller stuff I used brushes.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 12:43:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Leisure_Shoot] [#12]
I am finding that I like Tamiya paint over Vallejo. Vallejo seems to be harder to thin and gums up my airbrush. It's also more expensive.

here's some great airbrush "theory" to watch
Hobby Paint Alchemy & Avoiding The Nightmare - Vlog # 109

Boomer Airbrush Basics | Clean In Under Two Minutes!

The Ultimate Beginner Airbrush Tip | River Road - Vlog #97

Airbrush Basics Simplified | River Road - Vlog # 107

Link Posted: 3/9/2024 8:15:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GRENDEL87] [#13]
I agree with Leisure_Shoot on the Tamiya paint.

I was a long time user of Testors / Model Masters enamel paints.  When the Model Masters got to where i couldn't buy them, I reluctantly switched to Tamiya acrylics.  

They've been very easy to use and I don't miss the fumes from the enamels one bit.  They go down extremely smooth.  I dont get the dust buildup i used to fight when painting larger areas with enamel.

ETA: Cleanup up is easy and the acrylics seem to be more durable than the enamels I used to use.  

The M1A1 below was painted with all Tamiya acrylics and weathered with Tamiya weathering dust and washes.

Link Posted: 3/9/2024 7:34:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Leisure_Shoot] [#14]
I agree with Leisure_Shoot on the Tamiya paint.

I was a long time user of Testors / Model Masters enamel paints.  When the Model Masters got to where i couldn't buy them, I reluctantly switched to Tamiya acrylics.  

They've been very easy to use and I don't miss the fumes from the enamels one bit.  They go down extremely smooth.  I dont get the dust buildup i used to fight when painting larger areas with enamel.

ETA: Cleanup up is easy and the acrylics seem to be more durable than the enamels I used to use.  

The M1A1 below was painted with all Tamiya acrylics and weathered with Tamiya weathering dust and washes.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/17506/20201221_093458-1743899.jpg
View Quote
that's some great multi-color paintwork and weathering there.

do you watch Night Shift's videos?  https://www.youtube.com/@NightShiftScaleModels
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 10:50:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Leisure_Shoot:
that's some great multi-color paintwork and weathering there.

do you watch Night Shift's videos?  https://www.youtube.com/@NightShiftScaleModels
View Quote

Thank you!

I'm not a big watcher of NightShift but I found him looking for paint chipping techniques.  He's extremely talented.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 11:00:19 PM EDT
[#16]
OST
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 4:09:45 PM EDT
[#17]
I really liked the Tamiya acrylics, but no FS#’s, RLM, RAF, US WWII colors. Got to become a paint mix master. Hell, I quit my career as a collision painter because I couldn’t make out color differences good enough.
I switched over to Lacquers. Mr. Color, MRP, AK interactive and a few generic Tamiya colors. They come in all the premixed colors I need.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 9:49:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SteelonSteel] [#18]
I have an old Badger noise maker compressor from the 80’s.  I am guessing the diaphragm gave up the ghost while in storage for years.  It pushes air but not what it did.

In a moment of need I adapted my Ridgid pancake type compressor to the old Badger single action.  I used Testor’s enamels in the old days.  I tried some MRC Tamiya and my skill set needs work.  I since picked up a Harbor Freight rip offer a DA Pasche or Iwata.  I have not tried it but they get quite good reviews.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top