Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/11/2024 10:18:45 PM EDT
I swear I was just browsing at American Tele's the other day looking for a banana yellow one.... long story. I came across this one "Used Fender 75th Anniversary Commemorative American Telecaster Solid Body Electric Guitar" for $699. I liked the color matched headstock and I'm a sucker for metallic paint. I said to my self that price cant be right, I'm going to buy it and see what happens.  I was just about to click buy when I noticed Made in Mexico on the headstock.  Completely blueballed now I looked at every American Tele & Strat and finally settled on this 2014 60 anniversary edition American standard Stratocaster.  

It finally got here today and its beautiful.  I charged it up and played to make sure everything worked but sadly I have to hit the rack. I only got 2 hours of sleep Saturday night and didn't do much better last night.  Its need strings and the pickups need to be adjusted, they are way low. I should get that done tomorrow night and I'll get more pictures.

Link Posted: 3/11/2024 10:21:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice.  It's been awhile since I've been at the guitarspotting game, but didn't Clapton and/or Dave use one like this?
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 10:28:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Dave's was just like this on delicate sound of thunder and pulse.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 10:36:15 PM EDT
[#3]
You definitely won this based solely on the fact that you ended up with a strat over a tele. Idk why but I just hate those things.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 10:41:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Vstro:
You definitely won this based solely on the fact that you ended up with a strat over a tele. Idk why but I just hate those things.
View Quote

I've wanted an American Strat and Tele for a while.  I already have 3 Gibsons, Two Les Pauls and an SG and a Jackson Soloist.  Now I just need a good acoustic and start thinking about getting a new amp.  My Johnson Modeling amp is 22 years old now.  I had to replace most of the encoders on it a few years ago, I would have replaced them all but I couldn't get the screws for the second circuit board to budge.  I'm giving a lot of thought to cheaping out on the amp and getting a Boss Katana, a lot of people seem to be very happy with them.  My mind wants an Axe FX III though.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 11:25:40 PM EDT
[#5]
How much did the devil make you pay for the Strat?  That exact guitar is on my need to have list and I’m an acoustic player.

Buy my Martin D-28 and I’ll throw in a used guitar pick.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 12:05:18 AM EDT
[#6]
That is a solid choice, happy ngd
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 12:10:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Very cool Strat. I'm going to assume that is a mini toggle switch and those EMGs in it are DG 20s.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 2:50:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Nice.  Every electric guitar player needs a Fender strat.  Not really optional.

Not familiar with those PUPs but if you like them that is all that matters.

Link Posted: 3/12/2024 6:50:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By SirPsycho:
Very cool Strat. I'm going to assume that is a mini toggle switch and those EMGs in it are DG 20s.
View Quote

Yes its a toggle switch and i think that is a safe assumpion, ill verify when I have the strings off.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 6:52:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By BTccw:
How much did the devil make you pay for the Strat?  That exact guitar is on my need to have list and I’m an acoustic player.

View Quote

1425 with tax and shipping.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 12:42:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By jimmybcool:
Nice.  Every electric guitar player needs a Fender strat.  Not really optional.

Not familiar with those PUPs but if you like them that is all that matters.

View Quote

I'm actually not a fan of EMG's  I bought my old Jackson Fusion to put an 85 and 81 in and just didn't like them.  My soloist came with EMG's  I've been meaning to replace them.
I'm partial to body mounted pickups as well but I have to admit the advantage of a strat with a pickguard is I can just put a new set on a different pickguard and swap them out easily.

I'm going to play around with these for a bit before I make up my mind.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 3:14:23 PM EDT
[#12]
The EMG SPC control is a must for single coil EMGs...imo.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 3:23:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By splitbolt:
The EMG SPC control is a must for single coil EMGs...imo.
View Quote

I saw a video on that yesterday.  I'll pull the pickguard tonight and get some pictures, I need to figure out what that toggle switch is.  It isn't a kill switch, I know that much.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 5:23:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SirPsycho] [#14]
Originally Posted By callmestick:

I saw a video on that yesterday.  I'll pull the pickguard tonight and get some pictures, I need to figure out what that toggle switch is.  It isn't a kill switch, I know that much.
View Quote

My guess for the toggle is the "Gilmour" mod to engage the neck pickup like on the Black Strat.

From what I see I'm assuming the previous owner was a David Gilmour fan.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 6:18:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: luv_the_huskers] [#15]
I bought this 2013 American made Strat today for a bloody song. It has the tremolo, case, etc. It's like brand new.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 9:24:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By luv_the_huskers:
I bought this 2013 American made Strat today for a bloody song. It has the tremolo, case, etc. It's like brand new.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/117002/2013_Am_Strat_jpg-3157352.JPG
View Quote

Nice, what's a song?
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 9:24:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: callmestick] [#17]

My guess for the toggle is the "Gilmour" mod to engage the neck pickup like on the Black Strat.

From what I see I'm assuming the previous owner was a David Gilmour fan.
View Quote

Thanks I'll look that up.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 11:45:42 PM EDT
[#18]

Link Posted: 3/12/2024 11:56:30 PM EDT
[#19]
No idea what this is.  the controls dont look like emg or 920d custom. Pickuos are SA's.  Not happy though, I thought I had some set of strings. If I do I cant find them.  Ill have to string it tomorrow.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 12:57:59 AM EDT
[#20]
No idea what this is.  the controls dont look like emg or 920d custom. Pickuos are SA's.  Not happy though, I thought I had some set of strings. If I do I cant find them.  Ill have to string it tomorrow.
View Quote

Looks similar to this but it doesn't have the toggle. I'm not familiar with EMG pickups and controls. It looks to me like you have a Gilmour Red Strat setup with an extra function connected to the toggle. I'm still going to guess it's to enable the neck pick up like the Black Strat.

https://reverb.com/en-br/item/64921-920d-custom-loaded-s-style-pickguard-w-emg-sa-spc-exg-white-white-pearl
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 8:58:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: callmestick] [#21]

Looks similar to this but it doesn't have the toggle. I'm not familiar with EMG pickups and controls. It looks to me like you have a Gilmour Red Strat setup with an extra function connected to the toggle. I'm still going to guess it's to enable the neck pick up like the Black Strat.

https://reverb.com/en-br/item/64921-920d-custom-loaded-s-style-pickguard-w-emg-sa-spc-exg-white-white-pearl
View Quote

Thank you sir, that does look like it.  I looked on Ebay, never thought about Reverb.

After watching a few videos last night.  I'm positive that's what the toggle switch is.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 4:48:05 PM EDT
[#22]

View Quote

Hmmm... what year?
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 6:33:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Beautiful guitar, I love that era of PF when Gilmour played those.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 9:31:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Nice!!! Alcohol is my tactic as well in the search for new guitars!

I just bought another Strat today as well. Must be something in the air lol.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 10:49:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By RickFinsta:

Hmmm... what year?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Hmmm... what year?

It’s only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

Link Posted: 3/13/2024 10:51:50 PM EDT
[#26]
I think its got a short or the battery pack is toast.  I charged it Monday and its completely dead today.

It has one of these RECHARGEABLE BATTERY PACK FOR STRAT® it says it supposed to last for weeks with a full charge.  I like this a lot more than a battery floating around in the control cavity.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 10:56:25 PM EDT
[#27]
How do you test the life of a battery?
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 1:03:58 AM EDT
[#28]
Did you leave the cord plugged in? The output jack is the on/off switch...
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 9:30:40 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By splitbolt:
Did you leave the cord plugged in? The output jack is the on/off switch...
View Quote

I didn't.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 10:36:02 AM EDT
[#30]
The more I think about it, the battery has to be toast.  It's supposed to last 250 hours on a charge and it was dead in 2 days.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 10:27:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Confirmed tonight that the battery pack is toast.  I ordered a replacement earlier today because I figured as much.  It charged enough that I could plug it in and tune it.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 12:52:06 AM EDT
[#32]

Nice, what's a song?
View All Quotes

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/117002/2013_Am_Strat_jpg-3157352.JPG

Nice, what's a song?

Sub $900
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 10:29:58 AM EDT
[#33]

Sub $900
View Quote

Nice, that's a great deal.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 7:10:51 AM EDT
[#34]
You could block the trem with a 9v and it wouldnt be rolling around in the ctrl cavity . Usually lots of room in a strat for a 9V and a lithium 9v will last you a year. Nice to have those EMGs.  Single coil EMGs or 89R's with the extra SA inside (not a coil split) are really good. All EMGs will sound like crap if you dont build new patches from the ground up for them.

Try a Line 6 Catalyst before you get a Katana. Not knocking Katana but the Cat is cheaper per watt and does 6 boutique amps really well instead of 100 amps just okay imho. I have heard that the Katana head and a reg 1 or 2x12 is the way to go if you go Katana also. My sons band has a Katana combo user and they've used my Catalyst 60 on occasion at shows so i have gotten to hear both of them from the audience perspective and on some of their recordings.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 12:16:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Czechers:
You could block the trem with a 9v and it wouldnt be rolling around in the ctrl cavity . Usually lots of room in a strat for a 9V and a lithium 9v will last you a year. Nice to have those EMGs.  Single coil EMGs or 89R's with the extra SA inside (not a coil split) are really good. All EMGs will sound like crap if you dont build new patches from the ground up for them.

Try a Line 6 Catalyst before you get a Katana. Not knocking Katana but the Cat is cheaper per watt and does 6 boutique amps really well instead of 100 amps just okay imho. I have heard that the Katana head and a reg 1 or 2x12 is the way to go if you go Katana also. My sons band has a Katana combo user and they've used my Catalyst 60 on occasion at shows so i have gotten to hear both of them from the audience perspective and on some of their recordings.
View Quote

No skin in this game but I don't think price per watt has mattered on a guitar amp since the early 70s.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 3:53:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Damn I forgot how much I enjoy dicking around on the guitar.  My amp has Gilmour patch so I was trying to learn run like hell yesterday.  Damn I'm rusty.  Bought 4 more packs of strings and of course immediately found the ones I couldn't find the other night.  I'm going to blame that on needing to get glasses.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 6:14:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: callmestick] [#37]

View Quote

I've owned a couple of line 6 products and have not been very impressed although I did make a kick ass Cult Fire Woman patch on my amplifi 150.  That could have been a good home amp if they made it compatible with PC.

Forgot to mention I already have 2 2x12 cabs.  A Genz Benz G-Flex and a Carvin something or other.  I really want to build 2 vertical cabs, that may end up being a project for this summer.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 9:00:03 AM EDT
[#38]

No skin in this game but I don't think price per watt has mattered on a guitar amp since the early 70s.
View All Quotes

@RickFinsta we're talking modeleing amps so i was talking about the general amp sizes; ie. 50w-60w range/size, as people are going to compare the 50w Kat to the 60w Cat.  i was wrong anyway on the pricing so might point is garbage anyway . The  small (50w) Katana is regularly priced $70 lower than the reg price for the 60w Cat at $299. Huh.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 9:02:57 AM EDT
[#39]

I've owned a couple of line 6 products and have not been very impressed although I did make a kick ass Cult Fire Woman patch on my amplifi 150.  That could have been a good home amp if they made it compatible with PC.

Forgot to mention I already have 2 2x12 cabs.  A Genz Benz G-Flex and a Carvin something or other.  I really want to build 2 vertical cabs, that may end up being a project for this summer.
View Quote

I had the Firehawk FX which was the pedalboard version of Amplifi amps and it was good once i used an IR loader with it. At about month 3 or 4 with the Catalyst i realized that since it was an actual guitar speaker that it really shines once you get some volume under it.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 12:40:51 PM EDT
[#40]

I had the Firehawk FX which was the pedalboard version of Amplifi amps and it was good once i used an IR loader with it. At about month 3 or 4 with the Catalyst i realized that since it was an actual guitar speaker that it really shines once you get some volume under it.
View Quote

I think the amplifi was a decent amp but only being able to control it with phones and tablets was a huge disadvantage.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 12:54:13 PM EDT
[#41]
I love my American Standard Strat  and my SG

Nice guitar!
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 7:36:46 PM EDT
[#42]

@RickFinsta we're talking modeleing amps so i was talking about the general amp sizes; ie. 50w-60w range/size, as people are going to compare the 50w Kat to the 60w Cat.  i was wrong anyway on the pricing so might point is garbage anyway . The  small (50w) Katana is regularly priced $70 lower than the reg price for the 60w Cat at $299. Huh.
View Quote

I know.  I've got the IR-2 for use as a rehearsal and backup to my Boogie stuff and generally think Boss makes the best stuff in this market; they have been doing it really well for longer than basically anybody else.

I just can't imagine in this day and age caring if my amp is 15 watts or 100.  If you are using more than about 35-40W on stage these days you're making the engineer's job needlessly difficult and probably making the mix unredeemably bad in a small venue.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 8:34:52 AM EDT
[#43]

I know.  I've got the IR-2 for use as a rehearsal and backup to my Boogie stuff and generally think Boss makes the best stuff in this market; they have been doing it really well for longer than basically anybody else.

I just can't imagine in this day and age caring if my amp is 15 watts or 100.  If you are using more than about 35-40W on stage these days you're making the engineer's job needlessly difficult and probably making the mix unredeemably bad in a small venue.
View Quote

Depends on the amp.  I have a Mesa Boogie Mark IV which I believe is 85 watts and CAN be very loud.  But it has a really good attenuator built in and I can get lots of tones including heavy metal without drowning out a drummer.  

But in general I agree with the sentiment.  The days of stacks and 100 watt Marshall heads on 10 are over.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 3:26:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Hell yeah, MkIV master race.  I run mine with an isolation cabinet for recording and probably will play shows that way with my current band.

I wish they had kept making them instead of the abominations that followed.  I haven't tried a MkVII though.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 4:20:06 PM EDT
[#45]
Hell yeah, MkIV master race.  I run mine with an isolation cabinet for recording and probably will play shows that way with my current band.

I wish they had kept making them instead of the abominations that followed.  I haven't tried a MkVII though.
View Quote

How well does an isolation cab work?  I've thought about doing one of them so I can run an amp hard but have also wondered if it would still be too loud in a house.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 8:42:06 PM EDT
[#46]
Well since we are talking amps some porn fits in.  

Link Posted: 3/19/2024 7:09:03 AM EDT
[#47]
Congrats, I'm looking for a used loaded EMG pickguard to put in a MIM Strat. I have my LTD Edition Light Ash American Professional Strat that I'll keep stock as it's PUPs are perfect.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 5:44:04 PM EDT
[#48]

How well does an isolation cab work?  I've thought about doing one of them so I can run an amp hard but have also wondered if it would still be too loud in a house.
View Quote

I have a Demeter and it is very manageable even at full tilt.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 10:21:03 PM EDT
[#49]
Dave's was just like this on delicate sound of thunder and pulse.
View Quote

I was just gonna say, play some Pink Floyd with that thing!
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 5:27:58 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By DM1975:
Nice!!! Alcohol is my tactic as well in the search for new guitars!

I just bought another Strat today as well. Must be something in the air lol.
View Quote

If you enjoy Alcohol,  it's how you get the best gear...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top