Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/29/2024 2:37:10 PM EDT
Anyone have some recommendations?  I tweaked my knee last fall playing indoor soccer, and it hasn't been the same since.  Squatting is pretty much off the table for the immediate future.  Right now I'm doing step ups with dumbbells and extensions on a machine.  Any other suggestions?  Leg press is even a little iffy for me, I don't go much past 2 plates for fear of aggravating my knee.
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 8:40:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By jb1001:
Anyone have some recommendations?  I tweaked my knee last fall playing indoor soccer, and it hasn't been the same since.  Squatting is pretty much off the table for the immediate future.  Right now I'm doing step ups with dumbbells and extensions on a machine.  Any other suggestions?  Leg press is even a little iffy for me, I don't go much past 2 plates for fear of aggravating my knee.
View Quote

Does squatting cause pain or are you guarding the knee from future injury?

Of course there's the lunge variations, which can be weighted or angled.  Are body weight squats ok?  Then how about belt squats?  Just need a stable raised area, like two jump boxes and load up a dip belt with plates.

Link Posted: 1/30/2024 9:18:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sitdwnandhngon] [#2]
Landmine front squat with a good forward lean.

You'll be able to focus heavily on tracking your knees, and if things feel off you can simply stop.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 1:20:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Have you seen a doctor or physical therapist? You would probably benefit from a rehab program designed for your injury.

I tore my ACL when I was 29 and it took a long time to heal enough to run and squat again. Some of that time was because I was probably overly timid.

Maybe use this healing time to focus on strengthening other weak areas. More volume and effort on hamstrings and glutes will pay off when you get back into heavier weights.

But if you have a real injury you need real treatment from a professional.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 3:42:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Tanren37:

Does squatting cause pain or are you guarding the knee from future injury?

Of course there's the lunge variations, which can be weighted or angled.  Are body weight squats ok?  Then how about belt squats?  Just need a stable raised area, like two jump boxes and load up a dip belt with plates.

View Quote

Yes, squatting causes the pain at this point.  I tried just warming up with the bar two days ago after not squatting for almost 3 months, and it very quickly became painful.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 3:43:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By SIG_gunner:
Have you seen a doctor or physical therapist? You would probably benefit from a rehab program designed for your injury.

I tore my ACL when I was 29 and it took a long time to heal enough to run and squat again. Some of that time was because I was probably overly timid.

Maybe use this healing time to focus on strengthening other weak areas. More volume and effort on hamstrings and glutes will pay off when you get back into heavier weights.

But if you have a real injury you need real treatment from a professional.
View Quote

I haven't seen anyone yet.  I'm hoping it wears off eventually.  I probably will at some point if it persists into summer.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 3:43:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By sitdwnandhngon:
Landmine front squat with a good forward lean.

You'll be able to focus heavily on tracking your knees, and if things feel off you can simply stop.
View Quote

I will try those, thank you.
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 12:16:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jb1001] [#7]
Tried landmine squats last night for the first time.  Big fan, do recommend for anyone experiencing knee pain that prevents them from *barbell* squats.
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 12:39:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Can you deadlift?  It works different muscles but is still a great exercise
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 6:56:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Tried landmine squats last night for the first time.  Big fan, do recommend for anyone experiencing knee pain that prevents them from *barbell* squats.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/21/2024 11:28:41 PM EDT
[#10]
leg extension, shallow squat, use a roller, stretches. basically do whatever strength training that doesn’t cause pain to build strength and flexibility.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 11:25:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Walking lunges
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 11:46:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By walttx:
Can you deadlift?  It works different muscles but is still a great exercise
View Quote

I only deadlift DB's or very light barbell because of my back.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 12:33:46 PM EDT
[#13]
View Quote

Might be worth trying simple bodyweight squats.  Also BPC-157, stuff is almost magical.  Add in TB-500 if you have the cash, it's quite a bit more expensive.

It's only been about a month for me, but type 1, 2, and 3 collagen seems to work very well synergistically with the BPC-157.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 3:59:05 PM EDT
[#14]
I have no idea about knees but belt squats are IMHO the best for anyone with lower back issues.  All the weight is on your hips so absolutely no load on your back at all no matter how deep you squat.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 5:50:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Do all squats hurt or just back squats?  Does changing the bar from hi to low have any impact on that pain?  

My body is a wreck of injuries.  Think an old beater kept together with duct tape and bondo.  I usually front squat when I go heavy, but do mostly Bulgarian splits these days because I am as interested (if not more interested) in mobility and injury proofing my joints as I am in strength gains.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 5:46:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Maybe change foot positions?  A little wider or narrower depending on how you already squat.  Also, changing the angles of your feet can help.  Lifting shoes is another thing that can help.  There's 3 variables right there that can change how your knees feel, sometimes dramatically.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 5:52:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Jarcese:
Maybe change foot positions?  A little wider or narrower depending on how you already squat.  Also, changing the angles of your feet can help.  Lifting shoes is another thing that can help.  There's 3 variables right there that can change how your knees feel, sometimes dramatically.
View Quote

Sometimes things just never feel right again either, so you just roll with it.

My right knee has popped almost every time I've squatted down since I was 18.

A rival school in soccer had a kid that was strong as an ox and borderline retarded as the backup goalie, and during our big yearly senior rivalry game the coaches made the bad choice to put him on the field (it's tradition to make sure every senior gets playing time during that game, and sometimes they try to make it so every senior starts).

The dumb shit flattened me like a freight train hitting a cow on the tracks and fucked my knee all up. It healed quickly, but has just made all kinds of racket ever since. Even during heavy squats after a warm up it will pop near the bottom, it doesn't hurt, but it doesn't feel great either.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top