BCM
User Panel

Page / 8
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 9:15:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Subnet:

I'm 44.

Honestly, I hate generational warfare threads like these. The content (that none of us created - remember that) that spawns all of this, does little more than get us at each other's throats. It's not mentally healthy, and none of it reflects actual lived reality for most people. It's designed to make you anxious about the present and future, it's manipulative as hell, and it's really effective.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/12/2024 9:31:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Foxtrot08:
The hilarious thing in this thread is this:

You think people elected have any bit of control over this - Democrats or Republican.

It doesn't fucking matter. It's how the system is designed to work now. Without a complete revamp - which, neither side will do - it's going to get worse.
View Quote
100% this.

The current funding schism for delegates in both parties effectively makes our votes a courtesy hand job.  The money machine needs to be reigned in in some form or fashion in order to religitimate our voting process.

To the original point of the thread as well, I think we are seeing a real-time transition from the United States from the Shining Beacon on the Hill to another stratified wealth nation - like Singapore or the UAE - where the youth will be forced to leave and go abroad to find work in their chosen field and come home to a more mature career opportunity unless they are genuinely gifted in innovation, business,  or gifted generational wealth.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 9:35:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By wakeboarder:

https://j.gifs.com/[email protected]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I'm 44.

Honestly, I hate generational warfare threads like these. The content (that none of us created - remember that) that spawns all of this, does little more than get us at each other's throats. It's not mentally healthy, and none of it reflects actual lived reality for most people. It's designed to make you anxious about the present and future, it's manipulative as hell, and it's really effective.

Link Posted: 4/12/2024 10:04:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By ramairthree:

Exactly.

“What of it?”

That’s the entire point.

Young adults and young families struggled when their housing, transportation, etc. was a fraction of what it is now.

Today’s young people do NOT think they have it harder than everyone.
They know how things sucked for people during the black plaque, depression, etc.
They know what a guy coming of age 50-60 years ago paid proportionally for education, housing, medical, transportation, etc. and how full of shit most people of that era are.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ramairthree:
Originally Posted By NotJackMiller:
Originally Posted By amannamedjed:
Originally Posted By NotJackMiller:
Originally Posted By amannamedjed:
When I was 21, I sold my car because I couldn't afford insurance and to keep it running, and commuted on a bicycle.  I shared a two bedroom apartment with two other guys.  Ate a lot of rice and beans and cheap burritos.  Had no cable.  Obviously no internet since it had not been invented yet.  No iPhones, no expensive TV, stereo, or anything else.

I am tired of hearing how boomers had it so easy and that we voted for it.  I always voted for small government.  It was the democrats that voted for entitlements and massive government pensions.  The unions that drove up the cost of living with wages higher than most professionals.

I couldn't afford to put a down payment on our first small house until the wife and I had been married for a year... with two professional career incomes.  It is unrealistic to think a single guy working an entry level job should be able to afford the lifestyle of those who put in years of effort and living within their budget.

And what year was that?  @amannamedjed

Around 1979 give or take.  What of it?  I was young and struggled then.  Young people struggle now for the same reasons.  There are plenty of young people now who have made good financial decisions, built careers, and are buying homes.  I have some nephew and nieces who are living the life through smart thinking and hard work.  It is possible even now.  And there are plenty of old people from my generation who never made good decisions and worked dead end jobs.  And they are paying the price now by living in poverty.

The point of my post was that today's young people think we had it easy.  We didn't.  We struggled just like our parents did, our kids did, and our grand-kids are doing.  The only difference is that today's young people think they have it much harder than anyone else.  I disagree.  It has been hard for everyone, some more, some less depending on their circumstances, their smarts, and their drive to succeed.  You can always find anecdotal evidence that this person or that had it easier or harder.  But on average, not much has changed.

Adjusted for inflation, housing is about 180% more expensive than it was then.  Double your housing costs when you started out and see how easy it seems.

Exactly.

“What of it?”

That’s the entire point.

Young adults and young families struggled when their housing, transportation, etc. was a fraction of what it is now.

Today’s young people do NOT think they have it harder than everyone.
They know how things sucked for people during the black plaque, depression, etc.
They know what a guy coming of age 50-60 years ago paid proportionally for education, housing, medical, transportation, etc. and how full of shit most people of that era are.

You get it.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 10:05:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By ExtraHardTaco:

Not everything is a conspiracy.

He mentions in another video how both parties eat at the same table, have the same political donors and how politicians pit Americans against each other with identity politics.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ExtraHardTaco:
Originally Posted By RhinelandArms:

Very safe to say this was put out by the DNC.  

If not, the guy is a retard. Keep voting yourself right into total communism and find out how fucking expensive that is.

Not everything is a conspiracy.

He mentions in another video how both parties eat at the same table, have the same political donors and how politicians pit Americans against each other with identity politics.
I watched his video. His talking points are not the kind of talking points a Democrat would make.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 10:22:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FMJ3] [#6]
Originally Posted By DragoMuseveni:
Exactly, Boomers voted but it's their kids, grand kids, and great grand kids that will have to deal with the consequences.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bulump:
voting has consequences
Exactly, Boomers voted but it's their kids, grand kids, and great grand kids that will have to deal with the consequences.

Boomers vote majority GOP.

Their grandkids vote majority dem.

In fact I think every age group younger than Gen X votes majority dem?
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 11:34:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By deanwormer:

Says the dad that doesn't find time to be a father.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By tc556guy:

As my dad used to say, if you're only working 40 hours a week, you aren't really working. I bet he has time in his schedule to work a second job

I've said time and again... many people on ARFCom listen to the song "Cats in the cradle" as an anthem to live by... rather than understanding the song as a warning.
Many people on ARFCom have the mentality of... "If your kids know what you look like, its because you're not working enough."
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 11:48:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By PatriotAr15:
I've said time and again... many people on ARFCom listen to the song "Cats in the cradle" as an anthem to live by... rather than understanding the song as a warning.
Many people on ARFCom have the mentality of... "If your kids know what you look like, its because you're not working enough."
View Quote

Seem to see it a lot in divorce threads. So busy working that they become a stranger to their own family.

Some years ago I heard a really haunting story about a Naval Aviator who was deployed for the first few years of his daughters life. When he finally got some time off he found that his daughter was scared of the strange man in her home. I understand that he was in a shit situation but at the same time he really got across in the interview how much that hurt.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 12:01:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By JLPettimoreIII:
With hot inflation numbers to prove it, one hacked-off Gen Z American took to TikTok where he detailed a "struggle to survive" and pay for everyday items.

"Can somebody explain to me in crayon-eating terms why I make over three times the federal minimum wage and I cannot afford to live?" the user allegedly named Nic started to say.

"And I do not want to hear the, 'Pull yourself up from your bootstraps, work 90 hours a week.' That's not the goal, guys," he continued ranting. "A one-bedroom apartment, $1,800. Two-bedroom apartment, $2,200. Who the f*** can afford that? It is embarrassing to come out and say that it is a struggle to survive right now. But I know so many people are struggling."

The current federal minimum wage is $7.25 per hour.

Meanwhile, consumer price index data released by the Labor Department on Wednesday showed inflation accelerated in March for the third straight month, keeping prices painfully high for millions of Americans and likely delaying any interest rate cuts by the Federal Reserve.

Other parts of the report also pointed to stubborn price pressures within the economy. Core prices, which exclude the more volatile measurements of food and energy, climbed 0.4%, as they did in January and February, for an annual gain of 3.8%. Those figures are also higher than estimates.

Housing and gasoline costs were the biggest drivers of inflation last month, accounting for more than half of the total monthly increase.

In a more recent TikTok that was posted four days ago, Nic expanded on his initial viral video and said he previously voted in favor of the Republican Party.

https://archive.is/bJdbb/bd072cf79b8bb3cbce60650404d92da76a4ef77a.webp

why wood zoomas do this?
View Quote

you don't have to spend $2000/month for an apartment.  You have to spend $2000/month for an apartment that you think you deserve.  

There was a time you could spend a lot less than baseline for an apartment, and it still be relatively safe and surrounded by people who look and act acceptable to you.   Your voting practices have an impact on that possiblity.  And on the amount you can afford.

You're a kid - did you expect to just walk into a 36 hour week job with sweet housing while you sip coffee, right out of school?  Of course you did.  

Most of the people doing well - are doing well because they indeed worked 90 hour weeks while living in shitty accomindations.  Where shitty accomidations didn't much matter, because they were working 90 hours a week.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 12:02:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Missilegeek:
Another generation warfare thread by JLPettygenerationwarmore
View Quote
everybody relax, i'm here.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 12:43:38 PM EDT
[#11]
View All Quotes

As my dad used to say, if you're only working 40 hours a week, you aren't really working. I bet he has time in his schedule to work a second job

Cat’s in the cradle syndrome will happen to you too, no matter how much you prioritize your family life.    It’s universal to everybody in a culture where we raise our children, only to send them away.  

Btw, your low paid jobs exact just as much of a price on your life.   In many ways, it’s far worse, because you have to trade a lot more precious hours, for a given amount of money.  

Nobody Wants to go to work.   It’s something you do, because you’re a Man, and you care about your family.    We all make our choices.
Would you rather spend 15 days away, with 15 days off, and build a solid comfortable future?  or would you rather work 9-5, 5 days a week and be Poor?
If you’re poor, your kids are also poor.    They’ll have fewer options in everything. They will most likely stay trapped in the paradigm that You created.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 12:51:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By lazyengineer:

you don't have to spend $2000/month for an apartment.  You have to spend $2000/month for an apartment that you think you deserve.  

There was a time you could spend a lot less than baseline for an apartment, and it still be relatively safe and surrounded by people who look and act acceptable to you.   Your voting practices have an impact on that possiblity.  And on the amount you can afford.

You're a kid - did you expect to just walk into a 36 hour week job with sweet housing while you sip coffee, right out of school?  Of course you did.  

Most of the people doing well - are doing well because they indeed worked 90 hour weeks while living in shitty accomindations.  Where shitty accomidations didn't much matter, because they were working 90 hours a week.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By lazyengineer:
Originally Posted By JLPettimoreIII:
With hot inflation numbers to prove it, one hacked-off Gen Z American took to TikTok where he detailed a "struggle to survive" and pay for everyday items.

"Can somebody explain to me in crayon-eating terms why I make over three times the federal minimum wage and I cannot afford to live?" the user allegedly named Nic started to say.

"And I do not want to hear the, 'Pull yourself up from your bootstraps, work 90 hours a week.' That's not the goal, guys," he continued ranting. "A one-bedroom apartment, $1,800. Two-bedroom apartment, $2,200. Who the f*** can afford that? It is embarrassing to come out and say that it is a struggle to survive right now. But I know so many people are struggling."

The current federal minimum wage is $7.25 per hour.

Meanwhile, consumer price index data released by the Labor Department on Wednesday showed inflation accelerated in March for the third straight month, keeping prices painfully high for millions of Americans and likely delaying any interest rate cuts by the Federal Reserve.

Other parts of the report also pointed to stubborn price pressures within the economy. Core prices, which exclude the more volatile measurements of food and energy, climbed 0.4%, as they did in January and February, for an annual gain of 3.8%. Those figures are also higher than estimates.

Housing and gasoline costs were the biggest drivers of inflation last month, accounting for more than half of the total monthly increase.

In a more recent TikTok that was posted four days ago, Nic expanded on his initial viral video and said he previously voted in favor of the Republican Party.

https://archive.is/bJdbb/bd072cf79b8bb3cbce60650404d92da76a4ef77a.webp

why wood zoomas do this?

I'm sorry but because of racial crime and democrat run cities that will prosecute you for defending yourself, yeah, young white people do have to spend more on basic living if they dont want to be murdered/raped/robbed/beaten. We're not talking older or less pristine-- we're talking fundamentally dangerous to your continued staying alive. Packing heat and blowing away the pieces of shit isn't an option-- if you're white they're going to throw the book at you.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 1:08:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Agilt:

This is a huge answer, but serious contemplation of who’s going to cut the grass for 25 bucks still is too much to ask of many.
View Quote

Americans cut my 1/2 acre for $25 a week.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 1:12:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By BigBurkeyBoy:

I'm sorry but because of racial crime and democrat run cities that will prosecute you for defending yourself, yeah, young white people do have to spend more on basic living if they dont want to be murdered/raped/robbed/beaten. We're not talking older or less pristine-- we're talking fundamentally dangerous to your continued staying alive. Packing heat and blowing away the pieces of shit isn't an option-- if you're white they're going to throw the book at you.
View Quote

Some of the excuses you guys come up with...
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 1:46:41 PM EDT
[#15]
I used to live in this apartment complex in Portland in 2006. The rent for a 1 bedroom was $610 a month. At the time I made $12/hr. It's in a not great but not terrible location.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/12/2024 1:50:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Moving from Vendii to Grande?
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 2:11:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By CTYC313:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CTYC313:

Excuses? You think democrat run cities are safe huh? You think acts of self defense are fairly prosecuted? You would move a young wife and child into the ghetto?
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 2:25:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CTYC313] [#18]

Excuses? You think democrat run cities are safe huh? You think acts of self defense are fairly prosecuted? You would move a young wife and child into the ghetto?
View Quote

How are you supporting a wife and young child if all you can afford is the literal worst areas of the worst cities? Or are you coming up with that because you don't want to admit there are plenty of options once you accept you don't get to just live cheaply wherever you please? I've lived in Detroit as do many of my friends. Amazingly after many decades we're all still alive and unraped. Less amazing is the fact you can still find houses and apartments outside of the literal ghetto that are affordable if you're willing to suffer the indignity of not having all available amenities.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 2:26:57 PM EDT
[#19]
The Baby Boomers were the first generation completely inundated with Mass Marketing.

They grew up with radio and television with little to no diversity of thought subjected to manipulative propaganda.  The NAZIs recognized the power of radio and film to spread propaganda and believe me the other powers of the world took notes and over the course of the Boomer's generation damn near perfected it.

Don't discount the impact that has had on the Baby Boomers who have been swimming in that manipulative propaganda.  Diversity in media options really is barely a thing now even with the internet, but it was nonexistent during the majority of the Baby Boomer's life time.  
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 2:40:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By BillofRights:
And yet everyone spent those Stimmy checks and double unemployment bucks Gleefully.  

People are completely unable to understand Cause and Effect when it’s more than 3 months apart.
View Quote

The inflation we are seeing now is a hell of a lot more than those Stimmy checks and unemployment bucks.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 2:51:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Jellyfrosh:
I'm 25 and I just bought a brand new diesel truck and my house will be paid off before I'm 30.

When you actually have a real job and work more than 30 hours a week, it's possible buddy, I promise.
View Quote

The calculus changes real fast when you have actual responsibilities, like a family to take care of.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 2:51:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By callmestick:

The inflation we are seeing now is a hell of a lot more than those Stimmy checks and unemployment bucks.
View Quote

They got the snowball rolling.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 2:55:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By SparticleBrane:

The calculus changes real fast when you have actual responsibilities, like a family to take care of.
View All Quotes
I'm 25 and I just bought a brand new diesel truck and my house will be paid off before I'm 30.

When you actually have a real job and work more than 30 hours a week, it's possible buddy, I promise.

We all make our own decisions. If somebody makes the wrong choices and ends up putting themselves in the hole they may have to skip the brand new diesel pick up and accept an apartment or smaller house.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 2:57:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By apexcrusade:
1) Who did you vote for?
2) Because the government lies to you.
View Quote

Been voting for the most hitlerian anti spender I can find for decades. Still haven't had one win an election.
Voted against most ballot proposals that would increase taxes. "but it's for the chillun", which is just another lie that everyone falls for with regularity.
He "says" he voted for republicans, but where is the proof and truthfully most of them are as bad as dems at spending.
I'd want to see a detailed list of everything he buys before saying his rant is worth a shit.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 3:01:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PatriotAr15] [#25]

Cat's in the cradle syndrome will happen to you too, no matter how much you prioritize your family life.    It's universal to everybody in a culture where we raise our children, only to send them away.  

Btw, your low paid jobs exact just as much of a price on your life.   In many ways, it's far worse, because you have to trade a lot more precious hours, for a given amount of money.  

Nobody Wants to go to work.   It's something you do, because you're a Man, and you care about your family.    We all make our choices.
Would you rather spend 15 days away, with 15 days off, and build a solid comfortable future?  or would you rather work 9-5, 5 days a week and be Poor?
If you're poor, your kids are also poor.    They'll have fewer options in everything. They will most likely stay trapped in the paradigm that You created.
View All Quotes

Cat's in the cradle syndrome will happen to you too, no matter how much you prioritize your family life.    It's universal to everybody in a culture where we raise our children, only to send them away.  

Btw, your low paid jobs exact just as much of a price on your life.   In many ways, it's far worse, because you have to trade a lot more precious hours, for a given amount of money.  

Nobody Wants to go to work.   It's something you do, because you're a Man, and you care about your family.    We all make our choices.
If you're poor, your kids are also poor.    They'll have fewer options in everything. They will most likely stay trapped in the paradigm that You created.
There's not much I can do about my low paid job. I'm looking for better jobs. There just aren't any jobs available that pay more.
I make the most with what we've got. Thankfully, we have a house paid off... and dont have to deal with the stress of possibly losing our home like so many ARFCommers probably have to deal with.
But yeah thanks for basically implying I'm a bad dad because I'm not making six figures.
I might not have much control over how much I'm paid, but I do have control over how we spend/save money.
Been making some fair bit of progress on that front at least.

My criticism is aimed at people who already have enough to provide their kids a good life, but still feel its the man's job to NEVER see their kids.

Its funny how men will abdicate their responsibilities at home, instead choosing to waste their life away making someone else rich...
only to then wonder why their wife divorces them, their daughter ends up a stripper, and their son ends up a drug addict.

But hey, at least your boss said "Ataboy" and gave you a .05 cent raise.

There needs to be a balance.
If this was only about giving your children a better future, then why do I see that so many of these people who spend the kind of hours you recommend.... wasting their hard earned money on USELESS SHIT!?

Many of these people will claim they're doing it for their kids, but turn around and buy an extravagent vehicle, oversized homes, and gold watches and other luxury bullshit. If they spent that money wisely on investment instead, saving up for education, or other things that might actually improve their children's lives long term... great. But I see a lot of that money wasted on selfish desires.

That doesn't seem like a great bargain... trading in time spent with your kids, just so you can have more shiny toys to impress people you hate.

If the only thing you have to show for all your hard work, is shiny baubles... then you're not doing it for your kids..... you're doing it for yourself and your own ego.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 3:14:38 PM EDT
[#26]
There's not much I can do about my low paid job. I'm looking for better jobs. There just aren't any jobs available that pay more.
I make the most with what we've got. Thankfully, we have a house paid off... and dont have to deal with the stress of possibly losing our home like so many ARFCommers probably have to deal with.
But yeah thanks for basically implying I'm a bad dad because I'm not making six figures.
I might not have much control over how much I'm paid, but I do have control over how we spend/save money.

My criticism is aimed at people who already have enough to provide their kids a good life, but still feel its the man's job to NEVER see their kids.

Its funny how men will abdicate their responsibilities at home, instead choosing to waste their life away making someone else rich...
only to then wonder why their wife divorces them, their daughter ends up a stripper, and their son ends up a drug addict.

If this was only about giving your children a better future, then why do I see that so many of these people who spend the kind of hours you recommend.... wasting their hard earned money on USELESS SHIT!?

Many of these people will claim they're doing it for their kids, but turn around and buy an extravagent vehicle, oversized homes, and gold watches and other luxury bullshit. If they spent that money wisely on investment instead, saving up for education, or other things that might actually improve their children's lives long term... great. But I see a lot of that money wasted.

That doesn't seem like a great bargain... trading in time spent with your kids, just so you can have more shiny toys to impress people you hate.
View Quote

There is no correlation between pay and goodness.

All legit work is praiseworthy.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 3:21:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By 15jonshoot:

Been voting for the most hitlerian anti spender I can find for decades. Still haven't had one win an election.
Voted against most ballot proposals that would increase taxes. "but it's for the chillun", which is just another lie that everyone falls for with regularity.
He "says" he voted for republicans, but where is the proof and truthfully most of them are as bad as dems at spending.
I'd want to see a detailed list of everything he buys before saying his rant is worth a shit.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 15jonshoot:
Originally Posted By apexcrusade:
1) Who did you vote for?
2) Because the government lies to you.

Rich man right after buying a multi-million dollar yacht: "I CANT AFFORD TO PAY MY WORKERS MORE! You have no idea how *HARD* it is to run a business! I'm barely scraping by!"
ARFCommer: "OMG, he's totally right! Honestly, maybe we need *MORE* H1B Visas and LEGAL immigration"

Poor Working class bloke who works for him: "I can barely afford to survive"
ARFCommer: "Ooh yeah!? Well I just looked through your bank account... and I call bullshit. 6 months ago, you bought a coffee at McDonalds! Doesn't sound like you're hurting that much if you can afford a McDonalds Coffee Mr Fancy Pants! OH and you bought a Snickers bar 3 weeks ago! How about you tighten your belt you wasteful piece of shit!?"
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 3:22:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PatriotAr15] [#28]
Originally Posted By Lou_Daks:

View All Quotes

Many of these people will claim they're doing it for their kids, but turn around and buy an extravagent vehicle, oversized homes, and gold watches and other luxury bullshit. If they spent that money wisely on investment instead, saving up for education, or other things that might actually improve their children's lives long term... great. But I see a lot of that money wasted.

What in my post are you responding to? I dont really object to what you're saying... just seems like you're responding to a point I didn't make? Perhaps I'm missing something?
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 3:24:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lou_Daks] [#29]
What in my post are you responding to? I dont really object to what you're saying... just seems like you're responding to a point I didn't make? Perhaps I'm missing something?
View Quote

I'm basically agreeing with you.  

There are no bad jobs if they are honest labor.  People make choices and prioritize their values.  If you can't find a higher paying job, and/or don't have the skills needed for one in your AO, don't sweat it.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 3:26:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Idpapaperoperator] [#30]

View All Quotes

I'm 44.

I agree, generational warfare does suck.

However, I am tired of Gen X always talking about how they are such a badass generation even though they are the ones who raised a good amount of millennials and gen z. The same generations they bitch about. Always found it ironic that they don't mention this while talking about how great they are. So, anyways, thanks for the tide of liberal voters that your generation has spawned over the last decades.

The younger generations are kind of screwed here. They don't really get to experience middle class in adulthood the same way it was when they were kids. Yes, they make some dumb decisions, but every generation does, that's not specific to today's youth.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 3:48:02 PM EDT
[#31]

There are no bad jobs if they are honest labor.  People make choices and prioritize their values.  If you can't find a higher paying job, and/or don't have the skills needed for one in your AO, don't sweat it.
View All Quotes

One thing that a lot of people dont understand, is that not all hard work pays off.

Some people work their ass off to better themselves, and *STILL* not get ahead. Imagine someone spends 4 years studying for some IT certifications for a specific IT track... but after 4 years pass... that specific field suddenly gets over-saturated, and no one is willing to hire you for that position unless you have like 5 years experience. Imagine wasting 4 years of your life, all that hard work... and all you got out of it, was losing time with family, friends, or even just recreational time for yourself. For nothing.

It demoralizes people. It discourages them from putting any more effort... figuring they're cursed and stuck in a rut.. This happens to *A LOT* of people.

Working your ass off, only to be no further than you were before you started on that track... just deflates people.
I'm not sure I would entirely describe my situation like that, but there are times I feel like it. I've worked my butt off to try to improve myself, and while I got myself into a more preferable career.... objectively it seems to have been more of a "side-move" and not any real advancement.

I'm probably currently making the same amount of money I probably could have earned at my old job working Armed Security. Only difference is my job provides benefits.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 4:12:32 PM EDT
[#32]
If you look at voting patterns, yes, older people tend to vote in more conservation fashion than younger people.

The sheer size of the boomer generation, who voted strong democrat in their youth, and saw themselves as agents of change, drastically changed the country in a manner no previous generation could due to the sheer size of the cohort.

People don’t hate boomers for when they were born.

They tire of the generation denying they had any role in the change of America, balking it all on past and future generations, and mocking young adults and families and also denying the significant changes in proportional costs of housing, transportation, education, medical, insurance, etc. while also bragging about their SS checks, and also refusing to acknowledge their MC impact and costs.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 4:37:45 PM EDT
[#33]
View Quote

And yet the numbers indicate it wasn't the boomers that voted for this shit, rather it was your peers .
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 4:49:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By gmtech:

And yet the numbers indicate it wasn't the boomers that voted for this shit, rather it was your peers .
View All Quotes

Weird.

Who voted for the people that repealed the Glass-Steagall legislation?

1999. I’m a pretty elder millennial. So… wasn’t me. I was 14.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 5:59:01 PM EDT
[#35]

View Quote
i've been poor my entire life.

that was a yuge factor in me deciding decades ago that i didn't want a family.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 10:44:03 PM EDT
[#36]

View All Quotes

And it changes again when elderly family becomes a meaningful thing and you find out that moving across the country comes with some serious downsides for family.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 10:56:40 PM EDT
[#37]

I'm 44.

View Quote

Thanks Subnet, you get it. Even though it generates web traffic, this stuff is killing our country.

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 10:58:02 PM EDT
[#38]

View Quote

Then maybe don't have kids you can't afford?

The biggest war in America today is the war on personal responsibility.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 10:59:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Subway was never meant to be a career goal.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 11:09:15 PM EDT
[#40]

View Quote

The boomers voted for all kinds of things that are driving the push for all sorts of socialist policies.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 9:11:00 AM EDT
[#41]

View All Quotes

Perhaps if the boomer generation had had a different impact on the culture, society, mores, etc. those generations would have turned out different.

The sine qua non of the boomer is to talk about,
say how the kids graduating HS are, and mock those young HS graduates.

But boomers were the dominant force entering those schools, making the curriculum, changing rules, principals, superintendents, etc. for several decades.

When this is brought up, they deny it, etc.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 9:23:59 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Elwwod:

Thanks Subnet, you get it. Even though it generates web traffic, this stuff is killing our country.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Elwwod:

I'm 44.

This spin is a fairly recent development.
For decades it was the boomer way or the highway through decades of cultural, social, political, etc. Boomer dominance.

Boomers started in on the younger generations mercilessly.

As boomer dominance fades, and the consequences of those decades of dominance snowball, and they get called out on it-
NOW it’s all-
“Hey, we are in this together.  Don’t let them divide us.”

Despite decades of amazingly low proportional costs education, transportation, insurance, housing, etc. The average boomer has a retirement savings of 200K, owes 190K on a house, and has another 25K or so of unsecured debt.  And will average 100K spent on them in the last six months of life.  (Not including the baseline already spent on them in the years previous to that). Keep in mind MC reimbursement is typically a fraction of the billing, real expenses of this category of patients.

As a generation, they were handed a fine steed, rode it hard and put it away wet repeatedly, and even as it lies on the ground struggling to breath want to whip it back up and keep going.

Now, plenty of individuals of that generation were not like this-
But for some odd reason refuse to accept the impact of that generation as a whole.

I find that odd because X-ERs and millennials and zoomers who are unlike the “stereotypes” of their generations don’t seem to give two shits about the generations reputation as a whole.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 9:07:00 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 9:28:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Hesperus:

Seem to see it a lot in divorce threads. So busy working that they become a stranger to their own family.

Some years ago I heard a really haunting story about a Naval Aviator who was deployed for the first few years of his daughters life. When he finally got some time off he found that his daughter was scared of the strange man in her home. I understand that he was in a shit situation but at the same time he really got across in the interview how much that hurt.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Hesperus:

The last 4 years put a lot of my life in better focus. I took a nearly $60k/yr pay cut to be home nights and weekends to have more time with family. Right before the shift we were completing an outage with maximum legal hours and my middle kid says, "Dad, I don't want you to work so much." Me too kid, me too. That said, we've definitely tightened our belts and cut out a lot of what we used to enjoy. We'll make it but, I understand the struggles the generations younger than myself are encountering. It's almost like these decades of supercharged 'profits over people' and astronomical executive pay have altered the world previous generations grew up in.

Nah, must not be enough bootstrap pulling.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 9:41:07 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By NPH_1985:

The last 4 years put a lot of my life in better focus. I took a nearly $60k/yr pay cut to be home nights and weekends to have more time with family. Right before the shift we were completing an outage with maximum legal hours and my middle kid says, "Dad, I don't want you to work so much." Me too kid, me too. That said, we've definitely tightened our belts and cut out a lot of what we used to enjoy. We'll make it but, I understand the struggles the generations younger than myself are encountering. It's almost like these decades of supercharged 'profits over people' and astronomical executive pay have altered the world previous generations grew up in.

Nah, must not be enough bootstrap pulling.
View Quote

I passed up a great promo to be able to stay on a work schedule that allowed me to spend more time with the family.  I ended up getting the promo years later anyway, but it cost me some serious $ in the long run.  Don't miss it a bit.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 11:50:13 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By KILLERB6:
In a survey conducted by the Generation Lab found that the majority of young voters favored more government intervention in things like student loans, banking, stock markets, etc.

And since they out number the more conservative X, boomies and silents…looks like we’re getting more government intervention.
View Quote

That's because the previous generations enacted policies fucking the younger generations.

That doesn't make their thinking OK, but we are in the predicament we are in because of what happened in the past. Some of it long in the past before anyone here was alive.

More recent generations may just end up holding the bag though.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 5:33:34 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By GenoGS:

That's because the previous generations enacted policies fucking the younger generations.

That doesn't make their thinking OK, but we are in the predicament we are in because of what happened in the past. Some of it long in the past before anyone here was alive.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GenoGS:
Originally Posted By KILLERB6:
In a survey conducted by the Generation Lab found that the majority of young voters favored more government intervention in things like student loans, banking, stock markets, etc.

And since they out number the more conservative X, boomies and silents looks like we're getting more government intervention.

Future generations will be online complaining the exact same way about GenZ / Alphas / etc and voting for the gov't to fix shit for them too.

Generally younger people are less inclined to accept responsibility for themselves and the old folks are easy targets to blame for their own failures.  I see a small percentage of GenZ out there today getting after it and prospering much more than I did at their age - those kids do give me a glimmer of hope for the future.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 5:44:28 PM EDT
[#48]

View All Quotes

He's in IT, a field in which the political parasites are constantly undermining with turd world labor and offshoring.

Lecturing him about personal responsibility would be like me lecturing you about being a better swimmer after I just fitted you with concrete boots and tire chains.

Anti-natalism isn't going to save this country.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 5:49:30 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By bulump:
voting has consequences
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/15/2024 6:05:05 PM EDT
[#50]
When I first started out there were five of us sharing rent on a house, we had hand me down furniture (including a couch you slowly sank into).
No TV at all but two of us had stereo systems.
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top