Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/7/2024 11:31:10 AM EDT
Another one I have always been in love with. As I get older, my necessity to do these is overwhelming.
I grew up with these but even more importantly, I was there when it came out in 1979. That summer.

Still lived in Italy, got it on tape cassette - didn't have a turntable. I danced the whole summer to it.
My friends in Shitaly were into funk and the like - I was into Rock 'N Roll. I really never felt Italian ( I knew too well I had been born here). My Sharona actually made it to the discotheques (that's how we called them back then) and I did get to sneak into several of them and as the nerd I was at 11, I would dance completely lost into this song.

They'd usually cut the solo out - shame on them.
I have replayed the solo note by note - I have never seen anyone else re-construct the song as I have de-constructed it and put it back together.
I use an AI track separation tool, subtract the drums and re-use it for my purposes. Got some vocals in there too.

I am told Berton Averre (the lead guitarist in The Knack) has watched one of my previous covers of this song - though it wasn't at the current level - and thought it was the only accurate one. But this was years ago.

Enjoy - this track deserves it.

SoloDallas' My Sharona - a Short Rendition with Storm, Impulse responses, Emulation Amp & BluGuitar!

Link Posted: 3/7/2024 11:41:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Weird Al Yankovic - 1979 - My Bologna
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 1:40:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Fuck yeah Dallas!

You were ripping that one!

I cranked my laptop up to 11!
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 1:49:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Most excellent!

Always loved The Knack... the first album is a masterpiece.
Saw them in concert 'back in the day.'

We should start a band!  

Speaking of us old guys and classic rock (Sharona specifically)...

Link Posted: 3/7/2024 2:30:33 PM EDT
[#4]
That was awesome OP
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 5:12:33 PM EDT
[#5]
first year in high school when that came out, nicely done
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 5:24:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By dphill:
first year in high school when that came out, nicely done
View Quote
Slap me, I'd go there in a heartbeat.

Great times.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 8:04:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Man I love these videos. What video editing software are you using? Does it have auto sync or do you have to beat your head against the wall to sync all of this?
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 8:59:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Solo_] [#8]
Originally Posted By Goostoff:
Man I love these videos. What video editing software are you using? Does it have auto sync or do you have to beat your head against the wall to sync all of this?
View Quote
Hahahaha... I literally saw the scene of me beating my head against the wall (done it a hundred times).

I use Adobe Premiere - I have the monthly grift by them. I guess it's worth it.
I sync it by hand - but it's not so hard to do , since I am literally listening to myself playing in the room versus the recored (ProTools) file... I have the wave graphical representation of both, most of the times I just juxtapose the two graphically and it's done.

Granted - it's a lot of technology to handle and a lot of it at once every time I do it.
Usually I go as follows: I spend days and days researching (what was used in the original recording, guitar, amp etc.) - then I listen intently to the actual song, then I learn all the parts.

THEN I SPEND days trying to match sounds with the original. In some case I have spent years and years (AC/DC). I mean years.

Recently, thanks to certain specific technologies (Impulse responses, AI) it's relatively easier to find the original sound (plus research) and it takes me a little less to match (or attempt to match) the sounds. I stop when it's decently acceptable.

In some case the sound might be different but I accept it as I consider it a valid, honorable difference (I.e., I did it justice).

Some other times I have hated what I recorded and I pay a lot of attention.

I have the camera rolling in the room, one big light in my face, metronome running as well into ProTools and I have my Apple Remote mouse right there on the little table that holds the pedals (it's hidden). With that I start everything (video and audio recording) - but this only happens at the very end of the early process of debunking. I record only at the end when I learned everything. Usually I go bass first (over drums), then rhythm guitar(s), then lead.

At times I do tens of takes because I fuck something up. The pressure at times is too much even for such a silly video like this one - where I copy someone else's work.

But my intent has always been genuine - I really aspire to debunk and reproduce my favorite music to the best of my abilities - that's what I used to justify my effort over the years (AND I get to promote my shit doing this)

Fun
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 9:06:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Outstanding, Solo!
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 10:05:43 PM EDT
[#10]
You keep knocking it out of the park Fil.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 10:13:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Fun video!
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 9:51:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By SirPsycho:
You keep knocking it out of the park Fil.
View Quote
I wish we had a love button on this site.

I am grateful to each and everyone of you for using their time to watch my musical ramblings.

With sincere appreciation,
Your friend - Fil
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 10:12:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Solo_:
Hahahaha... I literally saw the scene of me beating my head against the wall (done it a hundred times).

I use Adobe Premiere - I have the monthly grift by them. I guess it's worth it.
I sync it by hand - but it's not so hard to do , since I am literally listening to myself playing in the room versus the recored (ProTools) file... I have the wave graphical representation of both, most of the times I just juxtapose the two graphically and it's done.

Granted - it's a lot of technology to handle and a lot of it at once every time I do it.
Usually I go as follows: I spend days and days researching (what was used in the original recording, guitar, amp etc.) - then I listen intently to the actual song, then I learn all the parts.

THEN I SPEND days trying to match sounds with the original. In some case I have spent years and years (AC/DC). I mean years.

Recently, thanks to certain specific technologies (Impulse responses, AI) it's relatively easier to find the original sound (plus research) and it takes me a little less to match (or attempt to match) the sounds. I stop when it's decently acceptable.

In some case the sound might be different but I accept it as I consider it a valid, honorable difference (I.e., I did it justice).

Some other times I have hated what I recorded and I pay a lot of attention.

I have the camera rolling in the room, one big light in my face, metronome running as well into ProTools and I have my Apple Remote mouse right there on the little table that holds the pedals (it's hidden). With that I start everything (video and audio recording) - but this only happens at the very end of the early process of debunking. I record only at the end when I learned everything. Usually I go bass first (over drums), then rhythm guitar(s), then lead.

At times I do tens of takes because I fuck something up. The pressure at times is too much even for such a silly video like this one - where I copy someone else's work.

But my intent has always been genuine - I really aspire to debunk and reproduce my favorite music to the best of my abilities - that's what I used to justify my effort over the years (AND I get to promote my shit doing this)

Fun
View Quote

Well now I know what I can expect when I start messing with this. I have Adobe Premier That was part of a complete package that I bought a while back  when I was heavy into photography and web building. I dont think I ever even opened premier.  I was thinking that I read somewhere that it had auto sync, and I thought that would be easier, but if you are doing all of these files manually maybe it wont be as difficult as I envisioned. Thanks for taking the time to give such an in depth description of the process. It is very entertaining as well as informative.  
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 10:32:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top