Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:20:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BRCA2] [#1]
When I was at Texaco Chemical, we recruited engineers from Penn State, Georgia Tech, University of Texas, Purdue, University of Missouri-Rolla. (We also recruited all types of engineers except civil fromTexas A&M). There may have been other schools, but these were the most prominent ones that I recall.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:20:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Reason 9: The Scotia gamelands Wendigo seldom snatches solo runners off the trail and buries them under the old iron ore sorting bunker
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:26:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By doc_Zox:
Reason 8, 45,000 students in a 2 road town with 35,000 residents.
View Quote

At least 322 is 4 lanes now thru the Lewistown narrows. It was 2 at least thru when I leaned to drive.

Hell, I still remember it being two lanes thru Milroy
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:52:22 PM EDT
[#4]
A friend at work was just talking about his sons, both going into engineering, choosing between Pitt and PSU. Both leaning PSU as they just revamped and sunk a huge amount of money into their engineering department.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:28:46 PM EDT
[#5]
BSME '95, I have a good friend who is BSEE '94.

I haven't been there in many years, so I'll say why I went.

1.a.  It's a big school with name recognition.  A department manager may or may not have heard of Rensselaer Polytechnic, but he's heard of Penn State.  Lehigh was close by - too close, actually, and their music program back then left much to be desired (see #2 below).

1.b. It's a big school with something like 140 majors.  If he decides engineering isn't for him, there's lots of other choices.

1.c.  It's a big school where I was likely to find like-minded people.  (I came from a very small high school - 110 in my graduating class.)

2. Dad was a Music Ed major there and was in the Blue Band.  I was a pretty good instrumentalist, and I wanted to be in also (coming from a very small high school).  If your son is in his high school marching band, this might be very attractive.  Dad made sure our callus visit included watching them rehearse.

3.  MIT was *really* expensive.

My experience:
Freshman engineering classes are designed to weed out those who aren't serious.  They are very fast paced, lots of homework, much of the instruction is by grad students who are usually not very good teachers.  I didn't experience Doc_Zox's junior year stuff; my own experience was that if you made it that far, the faculty was willing to help out.

I should have asked my advisor if I could shift some things around.  Electives, in particular, could have been different.  There's no harm is asking "Can I take this elective even though it's not on the official list?  Here's why:..."

I have no idea about the politics around the College of Engineering.  When I was there, it was not merely apolitical but we were all too busy with our studies to get caught up in "movements".

Electrical Engineering is said to be among the most difficult majors.  The top five, as I heard them (in rough order)

Pure Math
Pure Physics
Electrical Engineering
Aerospace Engineering
Biochemistry

Other engineering disciplines plus Chemistry round out the top ten or so.

If I had it to do over again, I would have studied Industrial Engineering.  Every young engineering student dreams of building airplanes or satellites or big machines, but it takes a long time to get to that level (if ever).  What any company can use is someone who knows how to engineer the *processes* they use to make the things.  I sometimes wish I'd studied that.

One other note: unless things have changed a lot, tuition for residents of states other than Pennsylvania is substantially higher than for Pennsylvania residents.

Feel free to IM.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:01:29 AM EDT
[#6]
This is College and Atherton looking south

Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:47:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By doc_Zox:

the PSU Engineering program is designed to wash out 45 percent of the undergrad freshmen in their junior year

they use bad pedagogy like scheduling all the finals on the same day

why?

because all those years of tuition dollars are used by the college

the failed engineers then have to patch together a major and hopefully not waste 2-300 level class investments that are not useful in their new major
View Quote

This seems to be a state college thing, flunk out half the engineers.  A friend’s son at SUNY Binghamton had the same experience.  When we did the tour with my son at MIT they said the opposite.  If you get in, we want to keep you.  They say that they want 100% of the incoming class to graduate.  My son was MechE at CMU and while it was hard and plenty of people bailed out they didn’t seem to weed people out just to reduce the numbers.

Also private schools except the Ivys tend to have more merit money for people that can’t get need based aid.  My daughter went to a private school for the same money as SUNY because of merit aid.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 6:54:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By secamp32:

This seems to be a state college thing, flunk out half the engineers.  A friend’s son at SUNY Binghamton had the same experience.  When we did the tour with my son at MIT they said the opposite.  If you get in, we want to keep you.  They say that they want 100% of the incoming class to graduate.  My son was MechE at CMU and while it was hard and plenty of people bailed out they didn’t seem to weed people out just to reduce the numbers.

Also private schools except the Ivys tend to have more merit money for people that can’t get need based aid.  My daughter went to a private school for the same money as SUNY because of merit aid.
View Quote

They weeded out 50% in 1975 at private Bucknell, too.  It's not really the college, it's students who have no idea how hard the math will be (I certainly didn't).

That being said, over a summer I took Calc IV at CMU (Applied Eng Calc) and that prof was head and shoulders above ANY prof at Bucknell.

Make sure your kid gets as much calculus as possible BEFORE he goes.  I didn't get any in HS and it hurt.

Nowadays, there is a lot of digital logic/SPICE (SPICE does most of the heavy lifting for complex analog circuits that we used to do by hand) which will also be helpful if he gets a head start, but a lot of the power generation/transmission/industrial areas still need the heavy math.

MIT has their course material online if he wants to get a feel.  Might want to check out their CS online materiel as well.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 7:24:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Reason 10: The wealthier Saudi & Samsung undergrads are trust funded $10,000 a month in expense money from their parents. This offsets the budget, if they go to PSU instead of an Ivy league school in Boston or NYC. Several of them spend a chunk of cash on tier 1 hero rifles & pistols. They fire sale the guns when they graduate.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:20:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:36:39 PM EDT
[#11]
We used to drive across campus and watch for the backwards walking student tour guides

they are obligated to respond to all "We are" cat calls

the psu alumni association is the largest in the galaxy with members in every sector
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 5:22:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By fish223:

Thank you, Brother!
She's so psyched-up about it.

Minor hijack, wife was flying home from Florida last week, sitting at the gate, some random dude walks up to her and says "WE ARE...."
And she looks at him and says, "excuse me? So he repeats it, louder, and now she's getting nervous, and asks him to move away from her. He finally realizes she has no clue what's going on, and tells her she is supposed to say "PENN STATE". Now she's really freaking out, and asks him how he knows she has a kid in Penn State, he say's "Well, you ARE wearing a logo shirt, and everybody knows the response, so I assumed." Anyway, they had a good laugh, and my wife learned the correct response. All is good.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By C-4:
My daughter is starting at Penn State in August.
I'll have to keep an eye out for BFL's

@fish223
Awesome!

Thank you, Brother!
She's so psyched-up about it.

Minor hijack, wife was flying home from Florida last week, sitting at the gate, some random dude walks up to her and says "WE ARE...."
And she looks at him and says, "excuse me? So he repeats it, louder, and now she's getting nervous, and asks him to move away from her. He finally realizes she has no clue what's going on, and tells her she is supposed to say "PENN STATE". Now she's really freaking out, and asks him how he knows she has a kid in Penn State, he say's "Well, you ARE wearing a logo shirt, and everybody knows the response, so I assumed." Anyway, they had a good laugh, and my wife learned the correct response. All is good.

@fish223

Cool story!

I read each post and appreciate all the information from everyone even if I didn’t quote and comment on your post specifically.  Thank you!

My wife and son visited the school last week and both really loved it.  My son decided last night he wants to go to Penn State and sent in the deposit.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 6:52:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 8:26:17 PM EDT
[#14]

Awesome! That's so exciting, everyone just steps foot on campus and seems to know it's the place.

Bonus we'll get to meet another arfbro IRL at some point.

I have a nephew there finishing 1st year. Absolutely loves it.

My daughter is in the professional sports photography program. It's her passion for years, and the program there is the best in the world.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By C-4:

@fish223

Cool story!

I read each post and appreciate all the information from everyone even if I didn’t quote and comment on your post specifically.  Thank you!

My wife and son visited the school last week and both really loved it.  My son decided last night he wants to go to Penn State and sent in the deposit.

Awesome! That's so exciting, everyone just steps foot on campus and seems to know it's the place.

Bonus we'll get to meet another arfbro IRL at some point.

I have a nephew there finishing 1st year. Absolutely loves it.

My daughter is in the professional sports photography program. It's her passion for years, and the program there is the best in the world.

Yes!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top