Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/8/2022 3:54:07 AM EDT
Is anyone from State, specifically in the RSO community? I have a question that I need to ask offline.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 4:30:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Can’t help you but I will say that RSO’s are usually the only people besides the Marines worth talking to at an embassy. Lots of bad experiences with foggy bottom careerists in my decade or so OCONUS. Hope someone comes along that can help you.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 5:49:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DvlDog:
Can't help you but I will say that RSO's are usually the only people besides the Marines worth talking to at an embassy. Lots of bad experiences with foggy bottom careerists in my decade or so OCONUS. Hope someone comes along that can help you.
View Quote
That really depends. Some DS new hires over the past decade or so are very "special." It seems every new class has a few people that really have no business being LEOs

Source: buddies that contracted at Summit Point.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 6:03:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Can’t help you but I will say that RSO’s are usually the only people besides the Marines worth talking to at an embassy. Lots of bad experiences with foggy bottom careerists in my decade or so OCONUS. Hope someone comes along that can help you.
View Quote

There was one I use to work with who was known to break down and cry if put under stress.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 6:51:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Range Safety Officer?
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 7:29:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By MarkHatfield:
Range Safety Officer?
View Quote

Regional Security Officer, its an old term for when DSS had an RSO for a Region, post the rise of terrorism they added a security office to almost all Diplomatic Facilities, with multiple DSS agents the senior one being the RSO.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 7:37:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By helmet91:
That really depends. Some DS new hires over the past decade or so are very "special." It seems every new class has a few people that really have no business being LEOs

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By helmet91:
Can't help you but I will say that RSO's are usually the only people besides the Marines worth talking to at an embassy. Lots of bad experiences with foggy bottom careerists in my decade or so OCONUS. Hope someone comes along that can help you.

It’s been about 20-30 years now, at their HQ in Roslyn I dealt with many in leadership who should not have been LEO
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 2:50:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By R0N:

There was one I use to work with who was known to break down and cry if put under stress.
View Quote

Ive known a couple of real weak-dicks. I was trying to be generous because Ive met some I respect. Generally I have a very low opinion of DoS and the OGA weasels you meet inside the walls.
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 4:38:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: hoody2shoez] [#8]
Originally Posted By hoosier122:
Is anyone from State, specifically in the RSO community? I have a question that I need to ask offline.
View Quote

Are you looking for an actual RSO or just someone from DoS high threat security?
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 7:17:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: hoosier122] [#9]
View Quote
+1 ... They are like the "fun police" at a mission and can quickly turn it into not so fun... Marines thought it was paradise compared to where they had been. :)

Fridays -- DS vs. Marines in regular basketball games followed by pool parties (civilian invites encouraged, especially if you had +2/3 co-eds...). One game got too rough and someone ran into a poll -- concussion and stitches. Court got closed for like six months after a Deputy Head of Mission made a safety report and it was deemed not up to safety regs.

Now, it's probably the nicest "PT" facility in that part of the world. I'm typically against unnecessary spending, but they could have my tax dollars for that!

ETA: Pole, not poll. But there might have been some "poll play" elsewhere! I kid, don't cancel me!

(An Arfcommer has reached out to my initial query regarding RSOs... Mod feel free to delete if this subforum is only for .mil and I've tainted it as a civilian.)

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top