Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/22/2024 4:07:30 PM EDT
A family member with a Subaru had a minor animal collision that was enough to require a front bumper cover replacement and a headlight replacement but otherwise no major damage. They were advised by a body shop that the physical damage repairs with labor/materials/parts would be around $3,500, but then they went onto explain that the job would require them recalibrate the Eyesight system. Apparently the shop uses a guy who travels from shop to shop in the area to complete Eyesight re-calibrations since it requires some specialized equipment to do, and that service is about $1000-1250 added onto the bill $3,500 in parts/materials/labor, which after tax brings the total to close to $5,000 to complete the repairs.

I'm the car guy amongst my extended family so I was asked to verify if the eyesight would need to be recalibrated in this case and if the fee to do it was reasonable...but Subaru products aren't something I've dabbled in.

Looking on line there's tons of references to it being required for windshield replacements, which makes sense given the cameras are behind the glass that would be different after a replacement. That said, I can't seem to find a clear answer on other times re-calibration would be required.  Some references online indicate that if you are having an alignment done for the suspension, you need to have eyesight re-calibrated as well, which sounds like a terrible way to drive the cost of an alignment through the roof.

So, all of the above said, is it pretty typical to recalibrate the eyesight system after a collision that requires a front bumper cover replacement? Is the quoted $1000-1250 fee to do it about what the market demands right now?

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 10:55:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: maslin02] [#1]
Not Subaru, but we've had cameras/radar/infrared stuff since the 90's. We calibrate rain/light sensors and cameras after windshield replacements all the time. We charge an hour of labor ($225) with no parts or equipment costs. There are tools required, but that's a sunk cost that's more than paid for itself. Generally, it's just a small target for the front and something they call a gobi for the rear. Some of the weirder stuff takes heat triggers and some very expensive laser levelers. That has mostly died off, radar self adapts and cameras are visual.

Our computers are like $20k, targets are a thousand or so, a few/several more thousand for the fancy stuff, etc. That's just for one brand. I imagine a guy who drives around with a van full of gear for every brand imaginable will charge the insurance companies whatever they'll allow. Call the dealer and ask what they charge, the system's function might be restricted if the calibration is off or locked off, but it'll get you there. Even a tow and $200-300 in labor is less than his $1000-1500 quote.

This place indicates the calibration requires an alignment, kind of counterintuitive. $370 for the whole deal, alignment included.

https://artsautomotive.com/home/services/subaru-eyesight-calibration-berkeley/
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 7:51:34 AM EDT
[#2]
We do the calibration using factory Subaru software and target for the local body shops for $350. Usually only for windshield or roof damage or the alignment as mentioned.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 12:42:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the replies. I'll encourage the family member to ask a few questions about the calibration fees. I can't seem to find a good way to see what the regional costs are on having the eyesight system calibrated, but I'm starting to wonder if I need to pick up a side gig of just doing those a few times a week.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 3:59:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Wangstang:
Thanks for the replies. I'll encourage the family member to ask a few questions about the calibration fees. I can't seem to find a good way to see what the regional costs are on having the eyesight system calibrated, but I'm starting to wonder if I need to pick up a side gig of just doing those a few times a week.
View Quote

Call your dealer and ask how much they want for calibration.  We charge $300. On a Honda per system. Multi purpose camera, forward radar, blind spot radars, ect are all separate.

I think the confusion may be that you are assuming it’s a windshield camera calibration requirement and not a forward facing radar needing calibration. But I’m a Honda tech. No nothing about other systems.

I can tell you the liability alone of calibrating one is idiotic. Anytime there is a collision with a car that has a CMBS they automatically go after or look into the last person to calibrate the radar. It turns into a pissing match unless you can prove the calibration targets were setup properly.  I am Very familiar with hunters new system, but autel and Bosch also have one. These machines use laser alignment to place targets and document target placement accuracy. All because of liability.

most factory aiming procedures rely on a perfectly flat surface.  A 5” drop across the 30-40 ft required to complete the aiming that isn’t compensated for will result in a car stopping 10 plus feet past the object it’s trying not to hit.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:56:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: maslin02] [#5]
Originally Posted By Quicky06:

Call your dealer and ask how much they want for calibration.  We charge $300. On a Honda per system. Multi purpose camera, forward radar, blind spot radars, ect are all separate.

I think the confusion may be that you are assuming it’s a windshield camera calibration requirement and not a forward facing radar needing calibration. But I’m a Honda tech. No nothing about other systems.

I can tell you the liability alone of calibrating one is idiotic. Anytime there is a collision with a car that has a CMBS they automatically go after or look into the last person to calibrate the radar. It turns into a pissing match unless you can prove the calibration targets were setup properly.  I am Very familiar with hunters new system, but autel and Bosch also have one. These machines use laser alignment to place targets and document target placement accuracy. All because of liability.

most factory aiming procedures rely on a perfectly flat surface.  A 5” drop across the 30-40 ft required to complete the aiming that isn’t compensated for will result in a car stopping 10 plus feet past the object it’s trying not to hit.
View Quote

Every bit of that makes me happy our radar is self-calibrating. Our cameras are going that way, the new stuff teaches in with a test drive. We had lasers for calibrating Distronic sensors 15 plus years ago. Cameras have been a target until recently, all of the 360* view stuff is automatic.

A full front end/windshield would require multifunction camera, front radar, rain/light sensor, front 360 camera, and augmented reality camera calibrations
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 11:13:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By maslin02:

Every bit of that makes me happy our radar is self-calibrating. Our cameras are going that way, the new stuff teaches in with a test drive. We had lasers for calibrating Distronic sensors 15 plus years ago. Cameras have been a target until recently, all of the 360* view stuff is automatic.

A full front end/windshield would require multifunction camera, front radar, rain/light sensor, front 360 camera, and augmented reality camera calibrations
View Quote

If you don't mind sharing, which manufacture are you referencing as self-calibrating?
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 11:34:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Wangstang:

If you don't mind sharing, which manufacture are you referencing as self-calibrating?
View Quote

Mercedes-Benz. All of our systems learn within a 3* +/- calibration, vertical, horizontal and yaw.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 11:46:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Freakin Subarus
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 1:24:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By maslin02:

View Quote

We can dynamic aim toward facing cameras. Most our cars though will not allow that on a new camera or one with a misalignment code. It’s meant to be done after a windshield replacement before it’s an issue.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:41:22 AM EDT
[#10]
What year and model Subaru are we dealing with?
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:53:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By dragoontwo:
What year and model Subaru are we dealing with?
View Quote

2019 or 2020 Forester
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top