Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/20/2024 1:51:48 PM EDT
Like the $100 ones you can get on Amazon. Experiences?  Opinions?
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 3:40:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Maybe link an example?
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 6:00:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Sorry, here's an example. There are a ton of different brands but they all seem to be basically the same thing.

Salmue Watch Waterproof Test Tool, Watch Case Resistance Pressure Tester, 2 Watches Watch Case Resistance Measuring Tools Water Resistant Tester Tool for Waterproofness Testing https://a.co/d/bQu9nS1
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 6:57:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Interesting. Not sure I’d want to do it myself. Seems you’d have to risk damaging the watch in order to determine if the seals are good. I think I’d rather have somebody insured to do that and have them take on the risk. Sure, four an Invicta why not. Doubt I’d want to throw an premium watch in there personally.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 7:09:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, that's what I thought as well. From the videos I saw from watchmakers that use it they have said that water can't get inside because of the air rushing out. Now if you keep it in there it'll eventually flood.

I won't put a Rolex or Omega in there but a watch I can take the back off and am comfortable removing the movement on would be safe enough I think. That would probably be the one I actually take in the water anyway.

I'd have a legit watchmaker test it but it's a hassle since they aren't conveniently located, there's a multi week wait, and it's still like $50.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 6:48:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dfariswheel] [#5]
A cheap tester can give an indication of a leaky seal, but you have to do it right.

The correct procedure is to hold the cased watch up out of the water and pump it down to whatever depth you're testing for.
Hold it above the water for a couple of minutes, then lower into the water and release the pressure.
If you see any bubbles, quickly pull it out, it failed the test.

What's happening is the air pressure will leak into the case through a bad seal and pressurize the watch.
When it goes into the water and the pressure is released, the air in the case will leak out causing bubbles.
If you don't just leave the watch under the water, the escaping air will prevent water from entering.

Unless you have a lot of watches to test or you use them under harsh conditions that can cause seals to deteriorate, the money really isn't well spent.  All you need to do is have the seals replaced every 3 or 4 years, depending on the conditions you use them under.
One way people ruin seals is taking a hot shower or sitting in a sauna.  The heat causes the neoprene seals to get hard and fail.

Just don't do what one person did.  
He put the crown and back on the empty case and did the test.  The pressure blew the crown out since there was nothing to hold it.
He thought the case was defective until I explained it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 6:43:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By dfariswheel:
A cheap tester can give an indication of a leaky seal, but you have to do it right.

The correct procedure is to hold the cased watch up out of the water and pump it down to whatever depth you're testing for.
Hold it above the water for a couple of minutes, then lower into the water and release the pressure.
If you see any bubbles, quickly pull it out, it failed the test.

What's happening is the air pressure will leak into the case through a bad seal and pressurize the watch.
When it goes into the water and the pressure is released, the air in the case will leak out causing bubbles.
If you don't just leave the watch under the water, the escaping air will prevent water from entering.

Unless you have a lot of watches to test or you use them under harsh conditions that can cause seals to deteriorate, the money really isn't well spent.  All you need to do is have the seals replaced every 3 or 4 years, depending on the conditions you use them under.
One way people ruin seals is taking a hot shower or sitting in a sauna.  The heat causes the neoprene seals to get hard and fail.

Just don't do what one person did.  
He put the crown and back on the empty case and did the test.  The pressure blew the crown out since there was nothing to hold it.
He thought the case was defective until I explained it.
View Quote

Great info, thank you. I ended up deciding not to get one in the end.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top