Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/28/2024 5:55:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jmt1271]
I'm 52, 6-3 and about 225lbs now. Beer gut.

For the past year I've been lifting. First 9 months did 5x5 then went to M-W-F doing chest/back/biceps/triceps (about 1.5 hrs in my basement gym M-W-F) and did squats on Tuesday and deadlift Thursdays (about 30 minutes in gym Tuesday/Thursday)

I don't feel I'm improving as much as I did in the beginning(obviously).

I'm wondering if I should go to a push/pull/legs routine working out only 3 days a week.

Here is a copy paste of a program I was thinking about trying.

Workout 1 – Push
Bench Press 3 X 5 – 7
Seated Dumbbell Shoulder Press 3 X 6 – 8
Incline Dumbbell Press 3 X 8 – 10
Side Lateral Raises 2 X 10 – 12
Triceps Pressdowns 2 X 8 – 10
Overhead Triceps Extension 2 X 8 – 10

Workout 2 – Pull
Bent-over Row 3 X 5 – 7
Pull Ups 3 X 6 – 8
Barbell Shrugs 3 X 8 – 10
Face Pulls 2 X 10 – 12
Barbell Curl 2 X 8 – 10
Dumbbell Hammer Curl 2 X 8 – 10

Workout 3 – Legs/Abs
Squats 3 X 6 – 8
Romanian Deadlifts 2 X 8 – 10
Leg Press 2 X 10 – 12
Leg Curl 2 X 10 – 12
Calf Raise 4 X 8 – 10
Hanging Leg Raise 2 X 10 – 15

*would have to modify a little as I don't have a way to do proper leg presses at home

Curious what those with more experience think.

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:19:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kraquine] [#1]
That's a lot and a lot of isolated movements, some of them similar.

I had lifted most of my life and around 50 had to start making some reductions in weight used and intensity ......... time was catching up. I went to compound movements using body weight and dumbells and a bar I hung in the garage. It's a lot easier on my joints and muscle memory still responds nicely.

If you can do it and enjoy it then go for it. Everyones physiology is different. Just don't get discouraged if your body starts to tell you that you shouldn't do a certain movement anymore. It's gonna happen and you can always make modifications to get similar results.

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:25:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Kraquine:
That's a lot and a lot of isolated movements, some of them similar.

I had lifted most of my life and around 50 had to start making some reductions in weight used and intensity ......... time was catching up. I went to compound movements using body weight and dumbells and a bar I hung in the garage. It's a lot easier on my joints and muscle memory still responds nicely.

If you can do it and enjoy it then go for it. Everyones physiology is different. Just don't get discouraged if your body starts to tell you that you shouldn't do a certain movement anymore. It's gonna happen and you can always make modifications to get similar results.

View Quote

Thanks.

The reason I'm considering the change is partly because I wonder if I'm over training and not allowing recovery.

Thinking the many days between hitting the same muscle groups may help?
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 6:24:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sitdwnandhngon] [#3]
I posted this one in the big thread awhile back and I'm still running it and feeling good.

I do a variable frequency schedule based on work.

I've been walking 14' walls this week with a forming crew, so I haven't lifted, so this week is going to 2x. Next week may be 3x if I can sneak one in during the week. I don't do a lot of isolation because I don't really care, I also don't do much conditioning just because of the volume overlap from work.

I've got some programming I've been playing around with that might interest some of you guys. I've been running it since December and feeling really good so far, I want to try to run it for a full year to see just what I get out of it.

I kind of catered this to my needs because of my work schedule (patent pending...or something)

I've had good luck with greyskull, and I had really good luck aesthetically with BBB. I wanted to take some from each and still be able to do a full body workout rather than a split, because some weeks I might only get time for two workouts.

The meat and potatoes of it is Push, Pull, Squat, Hinge. Broken into two days I have Squat/Pull, Hinge/Push. One barbell exercise for each, with an antagonist BW movement to paired them. The exercises I picked set it up like this.

Day 1

Squat/Elevated Hip Thrust
Pendlay Row/Decline Pushup (I was doing dips here but started to get some shoulder pain so I changed the plane of motion to match the row)

Day 2

Deadlift/Slant Board Squat
Overhead Press/Chinup

The progression is fully auto regulated. With the exception of one top set each day, you know exactly what your sets and reps are going to be each workout.

The exercises are going to alternate between top set and volume sets each day, using the following method.

Your top sets are first. Work up to a 3x5, but AMRAP the last set. Ideally you are getting 5-8 reps, and you need to push that one hard, it's the hardest set of the day.

Once that's completed move the second barbell exercise for the day and work up to 80% of your last used 3x5 weight. So if last workout you did 200 lbs. Warm up to 160 and that's your working weight.

Then it's 5 sets with the same amount of reps as your last AMRAP. Your last AMRAP was 200x7.....so you're doing 180x7 today. I've found that it's about the right weight to make the first 3 sets reasonable, but the last two can get tough, but not unmanageable. If you can't get them all in the last set or two, rack the bar, take a few seconds, then finish them with singles, just get the reps in.

You flip flop your starting exercise each time, so you'll alternate between 3x5 and volume every workout.

If you did heavy squats last workout, you're doing heavy rows next time and volume squats, and vice versa.

After every barbell set you're going to jump right into a bodyweight set. If you just did a set of OHP, go do a set of chinups. Tracking reps doesn't matter much, just get a pump going and then rest for a bit until your next set.

Each workout you're going to be hitting your Push, Pull, Squat and Hinge that way, and sneaking in some easy volume.

Progression is easy enough. If you get 5 reps minimum on each 3x5 set. Add 5 lbs next time. If you fail to get 5 reps on any set, or your form is really taking a shit and you are grinding too hard, take a deload. Next workout roll back to the last weight you got 8 reps with on your AMRAP and work back up. You should be able to sneak in more reps and that will also drive up your volume days.

This isn't for everyone, I'm referring to it as the busy middle aged guy's program. I can't afford to train like a retard anymore without it messing up something else. Work and life are more important than trying to recover from an hour of pushing to failure or hurting my shoulder and then being fucked at work for a week.

I've been feeling really really good running this, and the "easy" volume seems to be helping my physique, especially the shoulders and traps. I'm getting back to where I was when I ran BBB, but without having to dedicate each week to 4 workouts.

Workouts have left me sweaty and breathing kind of hard, and conditioning is improving because I'm doing relatively short rest periods on the volume sets. 35-45 minutes isn't unreasonable most days. Although a few days when I was feeling a little beat I went over 50 minutes from taking longer between sets.

Maybe if you're like me this will work for you too. Middle aged, medium strength, physical job and/or long hours, and you just want to look good naked and be sort of stronger than most people you meet.

One caveat. I started low, like really low with my weights. I hurt my back this fall, and then again last month at work. Muscle related, I need to put more effort into massage during hard weeks.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/30/2024 6:44:23 AM EDT
[#4]
What do you do for cardio?

How close to failure are you on each set at the rep ranges you mentioned?

What is your progression plan?  Do you add reps until you get passed your mentioned range then add weight?  How often are you planning to add weight to each of the lifts?  How often do you plan to deload?

There is a lot more to a workout plan then just movements, sets, and reps.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 7:13:26 AM EDT
[#5]
OP, what’s the goal of your fitness routine?  That’s the most important thing to focus on in my experience.  If it’s to loose weight, 3 days a week of resistance training should be fine, I highly doubt your overtraining at that rate as well.  Diet is as important, if not more important than your training.  If you want to put on size, eat A LOT of food. If you start to gain weight too fast, say more than a pound a week, back off some on the calories.  Track your calories and weigh your food for a month to give you an idea of where you need to be.  Staying lean and muscular takes a lot of planning, time, and staying consistent.  But if your good with sticking to a routine it’s really not that hard to be good shape year round.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 7:53:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Like the poster above me asked, "What are your goals?".

You mentioned a beer gut so I assume that leaning out is one of the goals.  You know that's your diet.

I got back into the gym at 40.  I'm 45 now.  Yeah, it's tough.  

A body recomposition is difficult anyway.  You can lose fat and add muscle at the same time.  I did it, but it isn't fast or efficient.  

My plan has more volume than yours.  I try to get 10-12 sets per muscle group I target for that day.  I use supersets to save time, for example: 4x10 incline bench + pec flies OR 4x10 lateral raises + Arnold shoulder press, etc.  If I'm not struggling on rep 8/9/10 then I add weight.

The above will add strength albeit more slowly than a 5x5.  It's a hypertrophy focused plan,  but I will throw in heavy sets to shock the system.  I'll throw in drop sets to target a muscle group I think is lagging.

I'm in the gym every morning Mon-Fri.  Below is my Monday workout:
4x12 pull-ups + 4x10 lat pull downs (superset)
4x10 incline dumbell bench + 4x10 incline flies (superset)
4x10 flat dumbell bench + 4x10 bent over rows (superset)
4x10 dumbell pullover

If there's "one weird trick" to this, it'd be the efficacy of heavy squats and deadlifts.  IME, heavy leg/core work makes the most progress.  Walking, weighted lunges are also an awesome asskicker.

Link Posted: 3/30/2024 8:16:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jmt1271] [#7]
My cardio is basically just walking daily. And hiking occasionally when we get time. Thinking about getting a rower.

Goal is to get stronger, stay flexible, and eventually work off the gut while trying to at least maintain muscle, if possible.

Diet is being worked on, but not where I need to be. We cut 90 percent processed food from diet 18 months ago. We focus on organic whole foods but my sweet tooth is a fucking issue.

I struggle to get more than about 6 hrs sleep per night also.

Not a perfect scenario and just trying to make the best of it.

My main concern was should I go to a split so each muscle group is worked once weekly, vs repeating upper body workouts M-W-F in order to get more recovery.

Link Posted: 3/30/2024 8:27:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By rob78:

If there's "one weird trick" to this, it'd be the efficacy of heavy squats and deadlifts.  IME, heavy leg/core work makes the most progress.  Walking, weighted lunges are also an awesome asskicker.

View Quote

I tend to agree, but honestly I'm hesitant to go heavy. I rarely go over my bodyweight on squats. Try to do enough reps that I'm approaching failure, but I'm really hesitant about injuries squatting. I am not a lifelong squatter lol. Only started in Jan 23. So I'm relatively new at it and it's still a bit concerning, injury wise.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 8:53:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Best of luck OP I struggle to.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 9:05:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: lefty-weaver-g19] [#10]
In your OP for squats you say 3 sets of 6-8 reps then later say you are barely doing over body weight.  

When you do your 3 sets of squats at 6-8 reps at barely over body weight how many reps in reserve do you have at the end of each set?  Are you adding weight each week to your working sets?  

If you are doing the same weight for the same number of reps multiple weeks in a row then you aren't going to progress.

Can't keep doing the same thing and expect different results.

You must progress in the weight or reps or you aren't going to progress with your body either.

As for diet start with getting your macros down.  Find out what your maintenance calories are and slowly cut that back while hitting your macros.  If you currently have a gut and most likely over 20% body fat you definitely can lose fat and gain muscle at the same time.  This gets much more difficult if you get below 12% body fat and nearly impossibly below 10% body fat.

*eta:  I'm about to turn 50 and been doing this a long time lifting heavy without any significant injuries.  Big difference between lifting heavy and ego lifting.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 10:00:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By jmt1271:

I tend to agree, but honestly I'm hesitant to go heavy. I rarely go over my bodyweight on squats. Try to do enough reps that I'm approaching failure, but I'm really hesitant about injuries squatting. I am not a lifelong squatter lol. Only started in Jan 23. So I'm relatively new at it and it's still a bit concerning, injury wise.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I completely understand the fear.  Its an imposing move and not without serious consequences if you get lax.

I also only get 6 hours of sleep a night, maybe 6.5.  I don't require any more than that and couldn't achieve 8 hours if I tried.

As lefty in the post above said, you gotta increase weight to make gains.  I don't have a spotter at 4am when I'm in the gym, so going to failure isn't safe for squats.  But I add weight when the last couple reps stop being a struggle.  A good rule is when your form starts to break down, its time to back off.

I'd bet dollars to donuts that you could add 20lbs to your bodyweight squat and you'd barely notice it, if at all.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 11:07:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks guys.

And yes I add weight to exercises for progressive overload except squats and deadlift. Now that I'm around bodyweight I just don't want to push it. Really don't want a back injury. I'm trying to add reps or I may just add another set.

Or maybe I'll just start adding 5 lbs a week. I just notice toward the end of my last set or two, it feels like form is breaking down, hence the injury concerns. I'm likely being over cautious.

I think starting next week I'm going to try the Push/Pull/leg split for 6 weeks and see what happens.

And make an effort to dial in the diet.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 10:00:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SIG_gunner] [#13]
My cardio is basically just walking daily. And hiking occasionally when we get time. Thinking about getting a rower.

Goal is to get stronger, stay flexible, and eventually work off the gut while trying to at least maintain muscle, if possible.

Diet is being worked on, but not where I need to be. We cut 90 percent processed food from diet 18 months ago. We focus on organic whole foods but my sweet tooth is a fucking issue.

My main concern was should I go to a split so each muscle group is worked once weekly, vs repeating upper body workouts M-W-F in order to get more recovery.

View Quote

Look for alternatives to your cravings.

Sugar free chocolate pudding is 60 cal per cup and a little whip cream has about 15-20 cal.

Yasso chocolate frozen yogurt bars are 80 cal and 6 grams of protein.

They don't taste exactly the same, but after a while you get used to them and can't tell the difference.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 10:00:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SIG_gunner] [#14]
double tap
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 11:03:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By SIG_gunner:

Sugar free chocolate pudding is 60 cal per cup and a little whip cream has about 15-20 cal.

They don't taste exactly the same, but after a while you get used to them and can't tell the difference.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

The sweet tooth was the most difficult part of my diet.  I put sodas down more than a decade ago, but sweets are a struggle.

I'll toss out a few alternatives that worked for me:
1) Blueberries.  Frozen or fresh.  They're sweet and they contain fiber.  Also an excellent anti-inflammatory.  
2) Blue Diamond Oven Roasted Dark Chocolate Dusted Almonds.  Almonds are healthy in moderation.  About 4g of sugar/10total carbs per serving.  They're filling (high fiber) and just a little sweet.
3) Blue Diamond Honey Roasted Almonds.  Just sweet enough.  A little less sugar than the dark chocolate above.
4) Oikos Triple Zero Vanilla Yogurt.  Add blueberries, strawberries, PB Fit, and some spinach.  Blend it up and drink.  Good for you, takes care of the sweet tooth, high in protein and fiber.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 1:08:50 PM EDT
[#16]

View Quote

Good advice. Will try those.

Fortunately I don't drink soda and these days I might drink beer once a month.

I need to replace the candy/cakes etc. Really struggle with those immediately after meals.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 1:09:38 PM EDT
[#17]

The sweet tooth was the most difficult part of my diet.  I put sodas down more than a decade ago, but sweets are a struggle.

I'll toss out a few alternatives that worked for me:
1) Blueberries.  Frozen or fresh.  They're sweet and they contain fiber.  Also an excellent anti-inflammatory.  
2) Blue Diamond Oven Roasted Dark Chocolate Dusted Almonds.  Almonds are healthy in moderation.  About 4g of sugar/10total carbs per serving.  They're filling (high fiber) and just a little sweet.
3) Blue Diamond Honey Roasted Almonds.  Just sweet enough.  A little less sugar than the dark chocolate above.
4) Oikos Triple Zero Vanilla Yogurt.  Add blueberries, strawberries, PB Fit, and some spinach.  Blend it up and drink.  Good for you, takes care of the sweet tooth, high in protein and fiber.
View Quote

Good ideas thanks
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 12:46:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks guys.

And yes I add weight to exercises for progressive overload except squats and deadlift. Now that I'm around bodyweight I just don't want to push it. Really don't want a back injury. I'm trying to add reps or I may just add another set.

Or maybe I'll just start adding 5 lbs a week. I just notice toward the end of my last set or two, it feels like form is breaking down, hence the injury concerns. I'm likely being over cautious.

I think starting next week I'm going to try the Push/Pull/leg split for 6 weeks and see what happens.

And make an effort to dial in the diet.
View Quote

I struggled with deadlifts for about a year and a half(and squats, always). I figure I have pelvic tilt and tight hamstrings, something like that- my body just doesn't move that way naturally. I also have sticks for legs. Every time I thought I was making progress, I'd add a little weight, promptly fuck it up.

Last fall I switched my whole routine from low reps to higher reps, so for deadlifts I'm doing 3 sets of 10 with less weight. I am now seeing steady improvement without blowing my form. If I complete my 3 sets cleanly, I'll make a note to add 1lb plates to the bar next time. That's it.

I'm not sure if the higher reps are helping me learn better, or if I'm just improving due to the novelty of it. Switching up the rep range might be worth a shot. Bonus- 3 sets of 10 counts as HIIT cardio in my book!
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 4:11:07 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm not 50. But I'll probably be doing a simple upper/lower program 4 days a week when I get older. Do a warmup then just 3-4 working sets with the same weight for each exercise. 10-15 rep range.  I really think most people over-complicate workout routines. Too much volume or frequency when they aren't eating or recovering enough to actually get the full benefits. Unless you are going to really focus on eating/recovering and perhaps injecting testosterone. I wouldn't go too crazy with the volume, frequency or workout program.

Upper 1:
-Horizontal pushing movement (press)
-Horizontal pulling movement. (row)
-Bicep curl
-Tricep extension
-Facepulls or rear delt fly.

Lower 1:
-Quad based pushing movements. Squat, Leg press, etc.
-Calf work
-Ab work. Situps, leg raises.

Upper 2:
-Vertical pushing movement (incline benchpress)
-Vertical pulling movement (Pullup or a variant)
-Lateral raise
-Bicep Curl
-Tricep extension

Lower 2:
-Glute/Ham oriented lifts. Leg curl, stiff leg deadlift, Nordic curl, etc.
-Calf work
-Ab work. Planks and variants of static holds.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 9:06:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jmt1271] [#20]
Originally Posted By ICEAGE:
I'm not 50. But I'll probably be doing a simple upper/lower program 4 days a week when I get older. Do a warmup then just 3-4 working sets with the same weight for each exercise. 10-15 rep range.  I really think most people over-complicate workout routines. Too much volume or frequency when they aren't eating or recovering enough to actually get the full benefits. Unless you are going to really focus on eating/recovering and perhaps injecting testosterone. I wouldn't go too crazy with the volume, frequency or workout program.

Upper 1:
-Horizontal pushing movement (press)
-Horizontal pulling movement. (row)
-Bicep curl
-Tricep extension
-Facepulls or rear delt fly.

Lower 1:
-Quad based pushing movements. Squat, Leg press, etc.
-Calf work
-Ab work. Situps, leg raises.

Upper 2:
-Vertical pushing movement (incline benchpress)
-Vertical pulling movement (Pullup or a variant)
-Lateral raise
-Bicep Curl
-Tricep extension

Lower 2:
-Glute/Ham oriented lifts. Leg curl, stiff leg deadlift, Nordic curl, etc.
-Calf work
-Ab work. Planks and variants of static holds.
View Quote

Probably solid advice.

Biggest hindrance for me is I work out in my basement gym.

I have a barbell, 2 sets of adjustable dumbells, power rack with high/low pullies and an ez-curl bar.

Somewhat limited on my available exercises for now.

Hope to add more in the future because between myself and middle daughter and my wife the gym is being used almost daily.

Right now I'm going to give this push/Pull/leg 3 day a week routine 8 weeks to see what happens.

I'm far from expert, but it seems that having a full week (between muscle groups) to recover should offset my only getting about 6.5 hrs of sleep a night.

Side note, last Friday was my first full on leg day. I had never done RDLs, and I think it now may be one of my favorite exercises. Absolutely toasted my hamstrings.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 11:59:43 AM EDT
[#21]
I'm 49 now and love full body 3 days a week. First, it helps regulate volume- you'll have to limit yourself based solely on time. Second, takes advantage of triggering muscle protein synthesis after 24-48 hrs from previous session. Third, if I miss a workout in a given week I'm not completely missing leg day, for example.

Downside is it's a long workout- 90 min with mobility in the beginning. You also have to prioritize based on time and fatigue- you're gonna do 2-3 sets of arms and not a whole arm day. Supersets help manage time.

This split allows me plenty of sessions for martial arts and boxing or cardio if you want that. This split along with finally getting good sleep and a solid nutrition plan has made my 40s as productive as my 30s.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top