Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/2/2023 4:25:44 AM EDT
Not sure exactly how to word this question, but is it possible to stay up date on the culture within your department after retirement?

I served 20 years with the fire department and was medically retired last year.  I miss the guys and the lifestyle something fierce.  

I’m having a hard time with closure, probably because it didn’t end the way I wanted it to.
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 6:09:52 AM EDT
[#1]
From one Virginian to another,
I have a completely different perspective.

I'm in construction and if/when I can retire,
I never, ever want to have contact with my
company, certain co-workers being the exception.

I don't care if I'm ever relevant again, except for
the unsanctioned skills I taught my protégés.
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 6:17:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Are there any associations that have retired firemen as members?  Facebook group of retired firemen from your department? Do you mean relevant by contributing to fighting fires?  Or, just support for your former FF colleagues?
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 6:23:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Just keep going to the pub they hang out at.

Volunteer, plenty of places would love free help.

I'm looking forward to retirement and dreading it at the same time but I'll make sure to stop by where the company guys are working and tell them how it was back in the day when you really had to work and didn't have all the fancy toys to make it easier.
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 6:37:58 AM EDT
[#4]
We have started hiring retirees to work/supervise in our communications center after eliminating the uniform position that would do that. I think they are working part time to not mess with VRS. We have also had people work part time at our academy as adjunct instructors.
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 6:40:44 AM EDT
[#5]
My plans are to never give a fuck about the place I work at.

Will I miss some of the people, sure, but there's lots of other people in the world to get to know.
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 6:53:42 AM EDT
[#6]
I try to stay up to date on the industry that I retired from (oil & gas), because it is an important industry for the USA, but I don’t stay in touch with the refinery I retired from except for a very small group of people that I trust and enjoy visiting with occasionally. We don’t see each other very often, an occasional lunch, but we do stay in touch.

There is so much out there after retirement, that I often quote the well used phrase “I’m so busy I don’t know how I had time to work” when asked if I miss what I used to do.
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 7:06:41 AM EDT
[#7]
We have a retired Facebook group that keeps everyone up to date on fellow retirees, who’s sick, died, hobbies, etc….private group.  Some guys will meet up for activities, such as shooting, dinner etc.  There is also a monthly luncheon.  One on the north side and one on the south side.  Also post up old pictures and what not. We also have a yearly retiree roundup, with bbq lunch, goodie bags, directory with retirees names, addresses, contact info, a tee shirt, coffee mug,  etc  paid for by the city.  Usually held at a city park.  Displays will be brought in, such as the mounted patrol, motorcycle squad, air unit, and stuff like that.  Chief, d/c, active duty guys come, and widows and families of deceased officers as well.  It’s a nice event.  Some of the guys sign up for a recapture program.  Exact same work as before, but in less stressful jobs, such as working in parks, city court, security at headquarters.  All paid for positions.  This is on the police side, not fire.  Having veteran firefighters teach part time at the fire academy seems like a way to stay connected.  Would have to be vetted of course.  I guess you could go and cook occasionally at a firehouse for your old friends.  I don’t know opportunities are available for firemen.  If there are none, create some.  Nothing dangerous, but in some kind of support role.  Just spitballing.  I’ll go to the yearly luncheon, and participate occasionally in the Facebook thing.  I’ve never gone to one of the luncheons.  I try to keep in mind that the game is for the current players, not the former stars.  Keeping that in mind, just look for a legitimate need that you can fill, in a reduced capacity.  My .02.
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 7:35:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Make sure if you have a union stay in it . They will keep you informed of last days/ promotions and sadly funerals..
Weird side note I had another retiree ask me if I'm having a lot of fire department related dreams. I embarrassedly said yes. He told me that is normal and common. It was sort of worrying me before he mentioned that. So the takeaway is don't let it worry you. Enjoy your retirement the way you went out was Gods plan . Sometimes it's better to leave things in his wise hands. Enjoy the new chapter of your life.
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 7:38:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Volunteer. Find something you think is worthy, with like-minded volunteers, and dive in.
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 11:07:06 AM EDT
[#10]
I think it's great you actually enjoyed your work and Co workers.
You are among the lucky few.
I always wanted work that didn't feel like work.
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 11:58:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SteelonSteel] [#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By azwipe:
Make sure if you have a union stay in it . They will keep you informed of last days/ promotions and sadly funerals..
Weird side note I had another retiree ask me if I'm having a lot of fire department related dreams. I embarrassedly said yes. He told me that is normal and common. It was sort of worrying me before he mentioned that. So the takeaway is don't let it worry you. Enjoy your retirement the way you went out was Gods plan . Sometimes it's better to leave things in his wise hands. Enjoy the new chapter of your life.
View Quote

Lol, last month I was having dreams I was going to work on the down low, handling calls and had been doing it for long enough post retirement I was thinking of asking to get back on the books.  In my dreams I was still suiting up, packing the duty belt and making arrests because I felt like it.   That’s really odd as I wanted out in a bad way as Cuomo and Hochel and they sycophants were making work impossible.

Dreams are wierd!  Awake I do not want much to do with the agency.  I miss a few people, I enjoyed some of the good things I did but net assessment of the way things were it was time to go for a variety of reasons.

I deliberately did not give the office my personal cell or email address when I left.  Our retiree news letter group did manage to get my email from a fellow retiree but they asked me before publishing on the retiree’s contact list.   It took a year before I told my friend, now a Lt., that he could include my number and email in our office list of retirees.

Frankly I wanted a break, a clean break from it all.  At least for awhile.....to figure out how I would feel about work.  I had been invited to a few work meeting luncheon picnics but have not gone to any except one when I was on terminal leave.

As far as staying relevant at your old place of work?   You’ll be nearly forgotten in time.  There will be new hires that will have no idea who you are or were. It’s just the time moves on.  Don’t take it personally.   I was seeing that before I even left, being a statewide agency in the beginning the new guys  know no one but their own class, mid career you know most everybody, especially if you teach at the academies.   In your last few years it will seem like you don’t know anyone anymore unless you’re academy staff.  Just a bunch of young faces.   Of course you learn the ones in your area but statewide?.. pfft just kids. . and to them we’re the old dinosaurs.
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 1:09:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Cascade-Dude:
Volunteer. Find something you think is worthy, with like-minded volunteers, and dive in.
View Quote

I agree with this. Stay busy one way or the other. Even if you find some stupid hobby that you would have never thought you'd be into like gardening or collecting matchboxes; don't get to where you don't feel like you have nothing to keep you going. Get your money's worth out of your retirement
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 6:13:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Where I live now, a retired captain of the fire department chases every fire truck and accident, taking pictures and posting them, plus town events. He also posts history of the FD. I'm pretty sure that all of it is as a volunteer.
Link Posted: 11/4/2023 11:39:04 PM EDT
[#14]
About 10 years ago I suffered a pretty serious injury while on a call, requiring emergency surgery.    I was off work completely for 7 months.  Not one time did I miss the job, the uniform, or any of the associated bullshit.  

I should have took a medical retirement and moved on.  But here I am now…3 years from a full retirement and counting the days until it’s over.

Link Posted: 11/5/2023 10:07:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Thank you for your service OP.

I’ll gear my response to folks starting out their journey. Do your best to Involve yourself in your community and/or church now. Volunteer, coach, have a hobby.  A robust life outside the job and with core (non coworker) friendships will go a long way when it is time to move on or retire. Build relationships at work but don’t invest it all there.

Be “present” during your duty shifts and equally “present”  off duty with loved ones and in other pursuits. Whether you wear blue, green, or red don’t let the job define who you are because the last shift comes for everyone.
Link Posted: 11/8/2023 10:07:57 AM EDT
[#16]
We have people that leave and disappear, and people that stay as long as humanly possible and don’t want to give it up. Some come back and work part time, some come back as bailiffs, and a couple came back as civilians.

Me, I want something in the middle. I want to keep contact with some of my current co-workers, but I don’t want to be one of the guys who can’t give it up…

OP- we have two golf outings a year. Plus a bunch of surrounding lodges have their own as well. They seem to be very popular with everyone, and a great way to stay in touch.
Link Posted: 11/8/2023 11:54:59 AM EDT
[#17]
I need to work 5 more years, but don't know if I will make it till Xmas.   Everyday is a damn struggle with people  who leave you hanging and don't care and a push for expectations that are not reasonable or possible.

So , no, I don't care about staying relevant after retirement. I'm no longer interested in what I do as a job.
Link Posted: 11/8/2023 3:44:15 PM EDT
[#18]
I held a commission for about a year after I retired. Had a falling out. My admin dosen't like old guys. cut ties. Never looked back.
Link Posted: 11/8/2023 4:04:19 PM EDT
[#19]
OP,,I was the "boss" and missed the stress, authority, challenge etc. of NOT being the final word on everything. It goes away after a few years and you'll find yourself more involved in other things gradually. One suggestion I might make is to become proficient in repairing/certifying 'specialty" equipment used by departments like "jaws of life" for example. It could be that you have skills that are truly needed by VFDs or smaller departments in your area that you could donate OR charge for in your early retirement years. Of course you could be like me and after being retired for fifteen years just not give a damn.
Link Posted: 11/8/2023 4:15:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By jollyg83:
Not sure exactly how to word this question, but is it possible to stay up date on the culture within your department after retirement?

I served 20 years with the fire department and was medically retired last year.  I miss the guys and the lifestyle something fierce.  

I’m having a hard time with closure, probably because it didn’t end the way I wanted it to.
View Quote

No contractor spots available with VA TF1 or 2?
Link Posted: 11/8/2023 6:09:56 PM EDT
[#21]
I am currently training my replacement at the Sheriff’s Department and others. Made friends with many new boots and have many friends in the department to stay in the know. Some guys in training ask me for help at the armory and will continue to post retirement. I don’t mind at all helping them out and they are good folks who remember what I selflessly do. I consider a few family so staying relevant is not a concern for me.
Link Posted: 11/8/2023 6:12:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ARinKCMO] [#22]
snip.  didn't see this wasn't GD.
Link Posted: 11/8/2023 6:38:46 PM EDT
[#23]
I don't care to stay relevant. Nothing against the retired guys older than me, but technology moved along at a fast pace once we got into the 90s and '00s, and those guys would have struggled to do the job the last ten years I was working. I figure that I'll be just as irrelevant in ten years in the eyes of the new people coming on now. Since my last day I went back for another officers walk-out and then to pick up my 218 card. I don't miss the admins and they sure don't miss me with all the woke nonsense they're pushing down to the rank and file. Thirty-five years was enough. I'm happily irrelevant.
Link Posted: 11/8/2023 6:45:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: midmo] [#24]
(edit... sorry, didn't notice tech forum!)
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 4:48:47 PM EDT
[#25]
You have to figure out what "Relevant" means to you.

Im 22 years into my PD.  Id did my numbers this week and I can go literally at the end of this month with penalty.

I can do another 5 for early retirement, or go another 10 that brings me to 60 years of age.

Relevant to me means that Im reforging the relationships with my wife and two kids who went through the last 15 or so while I was on shifts.

Thats my focus.

Much like being MIL, being in LE/EMS/Fire etc its a shapeshift to becoming a civilian.  That's what you need to focus on.

Figure something out to keep you busy.

The retirement groups are good to stay in touch.

Can you be a part time fire inspector with a security company?

Can you work for a fire related company in sales?

Theres lots out their in the private sector.

Ya we have guys that pop in and hang out at the station after they go, but after time, they are just in the way, or that generation is no longer.

Same with the retired guys who chase calls for photos.  I personally don't get it but if that's their way of being relevant so be it.

Pesonally when I do go, I am out.

My old Staff used to say "Theres a difference between retirement and quitting".

My advice is focus on your relevance in your family, and solidify that.

Link Posted: 11/11/2023 1:28:56 AM EDT
[#26]
Honestly I had similar feelings. I felt like I meant something to someone one day and the next there was somebody else in my place like I was never there. I got over it in about 4-5 months. I went out on my own terms so for you I can see how it's a little tougher for you. I have a friend that after his second bout with cancer was medically retired and he was burning with resentment. He wanted to do 30 years but made it to 28.
After a while hearing from friends still working about how lucky I was to get out when I did eased it up quite a bit. I volunteer at our fire museum in the resto/repair shop so I stay connected to some of the guys I've crossed paths with over 31 years. We still have the same kind of camaraderie and that get it done attitude that is pretty damn satisfying.
If you have some non-emergency auxiliary club or org. you might look into getting involved there. It might get you closer to the scene and in touch with the guys.

As far as dreams go after retiring, how many of us have had that dream where you get a bell and can't find your turnouts/bunker gear? That is a big one with lots of my fellow retirees. Another one is getting to the station and you don't know anyone and they don't know you. It's weird that it is so common.
Link Posted: 11/11/2023 2:07:01 AM EDT
[#27]
When I retired from the .mil, I cut ties with almost everyone I'd known there. I had my fill of it and didn't want to sit around with old war buddies and reminisce about the good ole days. After the .mil I operated equipment for the local Public Works, did 12yrs there and retired with only staying in contact with one or two of the guys that worked there.

I've got plenty of stuff to do and I had zero problems losing interest in my former jobs. I could care less what's going on, what's changed, who's doing who or anything else.
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 3:49:25 AM EDT
[#28]
Debating doing some instructing, but they want full time.  Screw that.  Did keep my NRA LE instructor cert up, went to an IALEFI conference, etc.  So it is always an option.  I do kind of keep in contact with a couple agencies for our gun club to help them with range scheduling and stuff like that.  

I go fishing with some of the other retired folks.  We do lunch once a month, reminisce about stuff, talk about how messed up things are, etc.  

Going shooting tomorrow with one of our guys who is a CO out on an injury, trying to get a couple others to maybe show up.

Everyone currently in LE wants the hell out, and the fun stuff is kind of gone now, so not a lot to be done about it at this point.

Been 3 years since I pulled the pin, haven’t done a thing since.  On the other hand my dad is just bored, in his 70’s, and works court security part time for dirt cheap wages.  Just think he likes staying involved and getting out of the house.  It really messes up our fishing schedule sometimes!

It is a serious adjustment, you gotta find something else to make the main focus now… might as well get on with it.  

I would be happy help out part time, but would also want pay appropriate for my skills and level of knowledge…. Nobody wants part time help, not at that pay rate anyhow.  

Also have other job offers doing investigative work, so it isn’t like there isn’t something.

I thought all firemen did roofing or construction on the side anyhow?  (Ha ha)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top