Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » SCUBA
Site Notices
Posted: 6/26/2023 8:40:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: IceDiver]
Despite my username I haven't been an active diver for awhile.  I do have a very basic setup that I use once or twice a year checking my mooring or for someone else at the lake.

This year my tank hydro expired and I don't have any place near me to have it done so i borrowed a tank to get stuff done.

I started down the rabbit hole of putting together a cheap surface supplied system that I wouldn't have to deal with a tank at all.

A battery air compressor, some hose and a basic 2nd stage seems like an easy solution since I would never be diving more than 20 ft for 10-15 minutes.
I have a ton of ryboi one batteries and was considering buying their compressor.
battery compressor

Think it would work?  I know I'm going to die, I would just prefer it not be sucking on a ryobi with a hose in my mouth.
Link Posted: 6/26/2023 12:08:47 PM EDT
[#1]
It has worked for me using an oil less electric compressor. Kept times very short, less than 15 minutes, when cleaning my boat hull. My wife always stood watch on deck. I didn’t die.
Link Posted: 6/26/2023 12:37:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm thinking it really isn't a complicated setup.

A decent second stage regulator should be the most complicated piece.
Link Posted: 6/26/2023 12:52:03 PM EDT
[#3]
The ghost of Titan lives on.
Wrong type of compressor. Chemical coating inside the air hose. Air intake too close to the exhaust if a gas compressor is used. ??
My advise is buy actual dive, breathable air designed components.
The air must be clean.
Link Posted: 6/26/2023 12:56:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GeneralDisaray] [#4]
Im not saying it cant be done but certain things I dont fuck around with.

My other guess is to do it right, by the time you acquire everything, pay shipping, time to build, etc. your savings will be rather minimal and then again see previous point.

You can almost find someone selling a Brownie third lung used - why not just go there?

Or if you are just doing short dives get a little pony bottle or one of those rescue tanks where the regulator is right on it.
Link Posted: 6/26/2023 1:20:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Number1gun:
The ghost of Titan lives on.
Wrong type of compressor. Chemical coating inside the air hose. Air intake too close to the exhaust if a gas compressor is used. ??
My advise is buy actual dive, breathable air designed components.
The air must be clean.
View Quote
All the ones I've looked at use oil less compressors and batteries, so no issue with air intake contamination.  
I'm not super concerned with coating inside of air hose either.  Yes some plastics are nasty but it won't be under any real amount of pressure and it can be cleaned internally first if necessary.
Link Posted: 6/26/2023 1:22:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By GeneralDisaray:

My other guess is to do it right, by the time you acquire everything, pay shipping, time to build, etc. your savings will be rather minimal and then again see previous point.

You can almost find someone selling a Brownie third lung used - why not just go there?

Or if you are just doing short dives get a little pony bottle or one of those rescue tanks where the regulator is right on it.
View Quote
I have everything I would need already except a battery powered compressor like I linked initially so cost would be under $200.

Nobody in my neck of the woods is selling used stuff like this.

Pony bottle requires a fill station and yearly visual and 5 year hydro testing which is why I'm in the situation to begin with.
Link Posted: 6/26/2023 1:49:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By IceDiver:
I have everything I would need already except a battery powered compressor like I linked initially so cost would be under $200.

Pony bottle requires a fill station and yearly visual and 5 year hydro testing which is why I'm in the situation to begin with.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GeneralDisaray:

Understood - I still go back to my previous statement. There are a lot of places I will cut corners and some of them I wont. Anything mission critical I will not - I'd rather not have than short cut it. But thats just me and my knowledge base.
Link Posted: 6/26/2023 1:53:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Despite my username I haven't been an active diver for awhile.  I do have a very basic setup that I use once or twice a year checking my mooring or for someone else at the lake.

This year my tank hydro expired and I don't have any place near me to have it done so i borrowed a tank to get stuff done.

I started down the rabbit hole of putting together a cheap surface supplied system that I wouldn't have to deal with a tank at all.

A battery air compressor, some hose and a basic 2nd stage seems like an easy solution since I would never be diving more than 20 ft for 10-15 minutes.
I have a ton of ryboi one batteries and was considering buying their compressor.
battery compressor

Think it would work?  I know I'm going to die, I would just prefer it not be sucking on a ryobi with a hose in my mouth.
View Quote
It can be done as described.

My 2 concerns are setting the right intermediate pressure for the second stage and air purity.

The first can be fixed with a quality air pressure regulator.

Even with an oilless compressor, some contaminants are still present that can be caught by a quality micromesh air filter.

Even with this setup, you still want some form of bailout air, because I promise you, the failure will happen AFTER you exhale.

I learned this the hard way using a Brownie's.
Link Posted: 6/26/2023 8:40:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Look up blue 3.
Surface supply electric air compressor.  
We just became a dealer for them.
I don't think it's going to replace scuba but it is alot less gear, weight and work.
Link Posted: 6/27/2023 11:37:02 AM EDT
[#10]
I think the blue3 was one of the ones I saw online that peaked my curiosity.

I can't justify the cost for the limited amount of use though.
Link Posted: 6/27/2023 2:40:56 PM EDT
[#11]
I have seen a few wild setups before as well as the usual purpose built ones.

Add an inline filter, which are fairly cheap and are on ebay etc.  If you go cheapo hose route, you will need to wash them out (simple green works).

The 2nd stage would need to be able to be tuned to about 50 psi (vs 110-150 psi).  There are hookah specific regs for this reason.
You will be limited with the 1 gallon reserve tank.  It will be fairly easy to over work it and be short on breath ( not good lol).  Obviously, you will be limited to 1 atm, but you say 20' so you should be good.  

Maybe u gonna die dunno.
Link Posted: 6/27/2023 8:30:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TinLeg] [#12]
Does the CFM of that ryobi compressor fit the requirement?  I'd look at that before anything.

Beyond that, i'd be sore tempted to put some sort of filtration at the output of the compressor.  Which reduces CFM.

Here is the link to Ryobi's site which is silent on CFM.  only says up to 120 PSI.  Which is suspicious.  One review says "it runs framing nailer for a few nails."

80 cubic foot bottle lasts about an hour if you're easy.  So...  1 CFM-ish to breathe, maybe?  And figure quadruple if you're working hard.

I'd take a good hard look at why hookah compressors are as expensive as they are.
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 7:13:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By TinLeg:
Does the CFM of that ryobi compressor fit the requirement?  I'd look at that before anything.

Beyond that, i'd be sore tempted to put some sort of filtration at the output of the compressor.  Which reduces CFM.

Here is the link to Ryobi's site which is silent on CFM.  only says up to 120 PSI.  Which is suspicious.  One review says "it runs framing nailer for a few nails."

80 cubic foot bottle lasts about an hour if you're easy.  So...  1 CFM-ish to breathe, maybe?  And figure quadruple if you're working hard.

I'd take a good hard look at why hookah compressors are as expensive as they are.
View Quote
That's part of the problem, nobody seems to publish the cfm of hookah systems.  Many of them appear to be continuous duty style pumps like pond aerator type.  With the right 2nd stage a lot of pressure isn't really required, just some volume.  I think the ryobi would compensate for low cfm by having the 1 gallon tank.  I plan to put a filter inline as well.

I have no illusions that this would be an ideal setup.  I just want something that I can dive on my mooring at the lake to check things out without having to frig with a tank and visuals, hydro etc.  If I had a dive shop closer than 30 minutes away I would prob just buy a new 40 cu tank and forget about it.
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 7:31:38 AM EDT
[#14]

I have no illusions that this would be an ideal setup.  I just want something that I can dive on my mooring at the lake to check things out without having to frig with a tank and visuals, hydro etc.  If I had a dive shop closer than 30 minutes away I would prob just buy a new 40 cu tank and forget about it.
View Quote

Wait, you’re going through all this trouble just to avoid driving 30 min to a dive shop?

Link Posted: 6/28/2023 8:09:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Marie:

Wait, you're going through all this trouble just to avoid driving 30 min to a dive shop?

View Quote
30 min one way, so an hour total.  Plus having to get a visual done on a tank.  All for 2-3 dives a year less than 20 ft for 15-20 minutes.

I was going to just buy a new tank since the closest place to have my tank hydro done is about 3 hours away one way.

I would probably dive a little more if I had easy access to air fills.
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 8:57:54 AM EDT
[#16]

I would probably dive a little more if I had easy access to air fills.
View Quote

Suba fill compressor??  
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 9:15:07 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm trying to be cheap...

I've looked at actual scuba compressors

Link Posted: 6/28/2023 12:17:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Cheap Hookah! We build a Surface Air Breathing System.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 11:11:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Just drop your tank off at the shop, and let them outsource the hydro. Sure, they'll up charge a little bit, but not as much as 5 additional hours of driving. Considering you  get VIP and a fill too, it's not a bad deal.

Surface supply systems are neat, but you won't break even on one for at least 5 years.
Page General » SCUBA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top