Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/22/2024 10:26:35 PM EDT
A couple years ago I joined my fire department's pipe and drums... we have had multiple instructor changes since I have joined and it has been difficult to have continuity in my time.  Just throwing it out there to see if anyone has any resources to help develop on my own when instructors aren't available.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 9:11:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ajroyer] [#1]
Our band died out several years ago. Our pipe major was the OG that started it all. When he went off the job, no one took it over and the few of us just stopped. There were only 3 to 4 of us during my time. One of my most memorable performances was when 2 of us led the Labor Day parade in Pana.

I recently had a family ask if I can teach them to play the pipes. I broke out my chanter and am disappointed with how much I've forgotten. I'm going back through the College of Piping Tutor 1, 2, 3 and our old marching tunes, trying to retrain my fingers with the grace notes on familiar tunes.

Back when I was proficient I had talked about getting some small pipes to make it easier to play inside. I never did, but wonder if that would have kept me going. It's a thought for you.

If you're still starting out, it definitely helps to have someone walk you through certain parts. I would start with youtube for the particular tune or grace note you're working on. If any of the instructors that you like are still around, try to get individual lesson times. There are also private pipe bands that could be an option. Around Springfield it's St Andrews Pipe Band. The state honor guard has some guys that pipe as well. I'm not as familiar with either organization, since our pipe major had some bad blood with both.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 7:56:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Bubba,

Are you anywhere near St Louis? They’ve got a great group of pipers we’ve run into in DC!
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 7:34:34 PM EDT
[#3]
You should see if there are any folk music schools somewhere nearby.  Probably big city.
Pittsburgh PA has one called Calliope, and amongst other instruction they have both scottish bagpipes and irish uillean pipes.  
Currently I am taking a bluegrass banjo introductory class.   Last fall I took fiddle - that I struggled with.  

Maybe some time in the near future I will take a bagpipe class.   They only ask you get a practice chanter.   Uillean pipes they want you to buy the whole thing
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 3:52:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top