Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/23/2024 1:05:04 PM EDT
I’m looking to upgrade the main boards in my ender 5 and 5 plus since I do t feel comfortable doing it myself.  Anyone know who can do this?
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 1:20:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 2:17:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Do you have a local high school/tech school? Do they have a 3D printing club? Local robotics club? You might also try asking in the hometown forum.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 4:50:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rat_Patrol] [#3]
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:32:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rat_Patrol:
To be quite honest, by the time you pay a service to do it, just buy a Bambu printer.

But yeah, there may be clubs that would do it just for the nerdness of it.

ETA: if you use the Creality upgrade boards, it is just plug and play. You really should not be afraid of it, it isn't hard. Pro tip: Only work on 1 printer at a time.
View Quote

A lot of creality boards that are plug and play still require a firmware flash depending on your setup, and even then a good portion of the time features stop working due to differences in limit switch implementation, bed probe location, and differences in CR Touch and BL Touch. Firmware that should work doesn't, so on and so forth.

If OP isn't comfortable with it I'd say leave stock or buy Bambu. It's definitely the new easy button.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:47:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Another vote for 'just buy Bambu'.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 10:10:51 AM EDT
[#6]
A new printer isn’t in the cards at the moment due a tight budget.  I already have the new mainboards, I picked up some bigstreetech silent boards.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:20:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Rat_Patrol] [#7]
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:35:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By -Obsessed-:

A lot of creality boards that are plug and play still require a firmware flash depending on your setup, and even then a good portion of the time features stop working due to differences in limit switch implementation, bed probe location, and differences in CR Touch and BL Touch. Firmware that should work doesn't, so on and so forth.

If OP isn't comfortable with it I'd say leave stock or buy Bambu. It's definitely the new easy button.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By -Obsessed-:
Originally Posted By Rat_Patrol:
To be quite honest, by the time you pay a service to do it, just buy a Bambu printer.

But yeah, there may be clubs that would do it just for the nerdness of it.

ETA: if you use the Creality upgrade boards, it is just plug and play. You really should not be afraid of it, it isn't hard. Pro tip: Only work on 1 printer at a time.

Creality firmware is also not reliable. One time I downloaded it because I didn't feel like making my own Marlin version. Well their firmware caused the printer to give that annoying constant alarm beep the entire time it was turned on. I had to compile my own firmware to fix it. I promptly switched to Klipper too and haven't looked back.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:56:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By memsu:

Creality firmware is also not reliable. One time I downloaded it because I didn't feel like making my own Marlin version. Well their firmware caused the printer to give that annoying constant alarm beep the entire time it was turned on. I had to compile my own firmware to fix it. I promptly switched to Klipper too and haven't looked back.
View Quote

Yep...learning compiling Marlin was an..adventure.  Mostly in patience.

Watched a lot of Teaching Tech during those days.

Glad those days are behind me.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:01:43 AM EDT
[#10]
I think you could tackle this yourself OP.  I'd at least open up the case to take a look at the main board.

Ender 5 Plus Silent Board: Installation, Debugging and Testing

You've got a lot of room to do one to one swaps on the Ender 5, unlike the Ender 3.

You can get the prebuild firmware here:

https://marlin.crc.id.au/firmware/

You need to make an account, and just don't donate.

Its super easy to update the firmware, just put the firmware file on the SD card and turn the printer on, and it updates automatically.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 10:39:42 AM EDT
[#11]
What changes have you made to your printer hardware?

Do you want to run Marlin or Klipper?

Kharn
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top