User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:45:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By macaho45:
My mentally unstable aunt goes to a Pentecostal church and speaks in tongues along with all her mentally unstable friends.  I guess the Holy Spirit doesn't like LCMS Lutherans enough to give us the "gift" of babbling like an idiot.
View Quote

He gave that gift to the Missouri Synod.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:50:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: criley] [#2]
The Bible clearly states that "tongues" are languages.  The gift of tongues is the miraculous ability to speak in a language that the speaker does not know, so the hearer may benefit.  This benefit may come directly or through someone who interprets the language.

What is called "tongues" in the charismatic movement is not any language and is unbiblical.

There are three distinct times when "tongues" were specifically used in the Bible, and in each time unbelieving Jews (not always unsaved) were present and the exercise of the sign gift of tongues confirmed that what they heard was true.

Jews require a sign. 1 Cor 1:22.

God began dealing with the nation of Israel through signs (Moses' hand turning leprous and then healing, and casting down his rod that turned into a serpent - then all the plagues God put upon Egypt).  Signs and wonders confirm the word of God to Jews.

Interestingly, the antichrist will deceive people with signs and lying wonders. 2 Thes 2:9.

The people who mistake the charismatic babbling for the gift of speaking in tongues is directly in line with that warning.  That is not to say that this babbling is of the antichrist - it's the fact that if people will mistake babbling for some moving of the Holy Spirit, then when the antichrist does some things much more impressive than babbling, people will fall for it.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 6:23:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 6:31:03 PM EDT
[#4]
It doesn’t seem all that common in the Christian faith outside of the Southern states. Is the Almighty with the South?
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 6:38:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Pentecostals: AKA the Christian Taliban.

My grandfather was a reverend at a Pentecostal church. I was forced to go a few times growing up and saw the speaking of tongues myself a few times.

It’s BS. People get worked up in the moment and want to feel special. Same way Mormons all have revelations. If you pay much attention to them when they’re speaking in tongues damn near every “word” ends in “eh”. The same way they would if you were pretending to speak a foreign language.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 6:39:21 PM EDT
[#6]
I grew up in a Pentecostal church in the 70s and 80s. Speaking in Tongues back then someone was given the message in the unknown language, usually one of the deacons/elders and someone else was given the translation. If no one was given the translation, then that meant the message was just for whoever gave it.  

Sometime in the late 90s "the gift of tongues" became popular with being Holy Ghost Filled and apparently at some point someone slapped the label "prayer language" on it. Now everyone rattles it off. I get no feeling whatsoever in my spirit when someone does that. I am leery of lay people who claim to have the gift. I got my ass busted as a kid for talking like that. One of the few times Dad did spank me. I have never felt lead by GOD to speak in tongues.

I am not as close to GOD as I should be, and I'll admit it's a failing of mine, but even so HE will give you discernment of if these things are legit or just someone acting on their own.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 6:39:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By akcaribouhunter:
There are pentecostal churches in Bush Alaska.
They are really wierd and demean women really bad.
View Quote

Anything that might be fun is probably a sin.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 6:40:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By clearedoverhead:
I wonder if I start shouting Allahu akbar in a Pentecost church will they beable to translate
View Quote
Sounds like a great way to meet Jesus face to face!
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 6:40:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By TontoGoldstein:
Paul said that speaking in tongues has value only if there is someone who can actually translate it.  Otherwise, it is nothing more than unintelligible babbling.

Paul wrote extensively on the topic.
View Quote
One of those times having a like button would be great for a post!
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 6:44:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By 86Tiger:

For the win...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 86Tiger:
Originally Posted By 1975:
Speaking in “tongues” simply meant another established language OP. The pentecostals speak gibberish and call it a “tongue”.

For the win...

each person should decide what speaking in tongues means. i took it to mean that there were a bunch of folks hearing someone speak, and each person heard what was being said in his native language so that they all 'got the message'. im gonna assume that is someone babbles and no one understands it, its meaningless.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 6:47:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By st0newall:

each person should decide what speaking in tongues means. i took it to mean that there were a bunch of folks hearing someone speak, and each person heard what was being said in his native language so that they all 'got the message'. im gonna assume that is someone babbles and no one understands it, its meaningless.
View Quote

What I witnessed was incomprehensible gibberish.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 7:03:04 PM EDT
[#12]
The significance of speaking in tongues

It is at Pentecost (The Ascension of Jesus) where apostles spoke in different languages...these were foreign languages common in the middle east do to traders coming and going in the area...real languages not un-intelligble mutterings...

People heard the apostles of Christ talking in their various languages testifying to the Lord Jesus and His salvation.
The apostles were not trained in these languages but came by fluency as an act of God a miracle if you will.

As to speaking in the language of groanings of the spirit...

Paul said...one testimony at a time (not a cacophony of speakers) and to each witnessing of the Holy Spirit there had to be an interpretation of the Holy Spirit's vocalizations...(again one speaker one interpreter not a cacophony of jibber jabbering)

Link Posted: 4/19/2024 7:08:57 PM EDT
[#13]
I know a lot of good salt of the earth people who are Pentecostal, some of my family are.  
My grandfather was an Apostolic Pentecostal preacher, papermill superintendent, radio preacher on sunday mornings, preached tent revivals across the south as a young man.  Had a decent sized farm where he taught me the value of hard work, honesty, and morals.  

Best man I ever knew.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 7:11:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Exactly how many versions are there of Protestantism? Thousands?

Is it like every time some random dude has a new interpretation of Christianity he just opens up a new church, makes a new name, takes donations and then allows franchises?

How can a religion with an unlimited amount of interpretations exist around a book that Jesus neither dictated, authorized, approved, or ever read? Did Jesus attempt to build a religion around a book?

I really don't understand protestants.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 7:46:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: grinning_bob] [#15]
Originally Posted By Eight_Ring:

For those who say the Holy Spirit does not manifest in modern times--well, we can absolutely agree that it certainly doesn't happen to (or for) you.  You might try asking--in deep humility--for the Holy Spirit to come to you and unpack whatever gifts God desired for you, so that you might serve Him more powerfully and do greater works in His kingdom.

For the poster who implied that a lot of people are just faking it--with you I would sadly agree, and feel sorrow for their lack of self awareness.
View Quote

I believe in spiritual gifts.  Sincerely.

I'm not sure they happen every Sunday at 10:00 AM.

Link Posted: 4/19/2024 8:04:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Fucking kooks. I felt sorry for the kids in school who's parents were Pentecost kooky types.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 8:09:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Gallia est omnis divisa in partes tres, quarum unam incolunt Belgae, aliam Aquitani, tertiam qui ipsorum lingua Celtae, nostra Galli appellantur. Hi omnes lingua, institutis, legibus inter se differunt. Gallos ab Aquitanis Garumna flumen, a Belgis Matrona et Sequana dividit.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 8:22:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 8:27:19 PM EDT
[#19]
I am a born again Spirit filled believer and went to a church in my 20's which is probably called a charismatic church. It's where I was first exposed to speaking in tongues. After a while of attending this church, people surrounded me and laid hands on me while speaking in tongues and I too started and have ever since when the Spirit leads me to, but only in my personal prayer life. I have had interpretations a few times and they have been about me and my walk with the Lord.  I'm in my 60's now and still do on occasion when I sense my Lord wants me to. I used to hear it in churches but where I live, those type of churches aren't around. I sure miss that first church I attended. So many powerful things the Lord was doing in my life but then I moved. It's one of the 9 gifts of the Holy Spirit. Anyone of the 9, the Lord can use through us, if we are sensitive to listening to him. I've had other times when I've used some of the other gifts but I won't go into that.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 8:36:36 PM EDT
[#20]

Interesting.  Because I see people praying for the sick--all the time.

What Christian denomination do you belong to, exactly, which believes that the works of the Holy Spirit has ceased and therefore prayer cannot heal the sick?

View Quote

Jeez....

Its not a mutually exclusive idea to be able to point out charlatans and play acting, while still believing in a christian god.

Why are you so hell bent on defending obviously silly stuff, by invoking reasonable things?

This is not god... this is a joke...

Crazy Pastors Speaking in Tongues (INSANE compilation)
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 8:59:49 PM EDT
[#21]
I went to a Pentecostal church as a kid. It was a dinky church, maybe 20 people tops. There wasn't any translating when someone would speak in tongues. I only ever went to the one though so no idea about others.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:02:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bishop3] [#22]
Originally Posted By TontoGoldstein:
Paul said that speaking in tongues has value only if there is someone who can actually translate it.  Otherwise, it is nothing more than unintelligible babbling.

Paul wrote extensively on the topic.
View Quote

~ the inspired Apostle Paul

‭1 Corinthians 14:18-19
[18] I thank God, I speak in tongues more than you all; [19] however, in the church I desire to speak five words with my mind so that I may instruct others also, rather than ten thousand words in a tongue.

‭Hebrews 13:8
Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.

It may be, that those posting in the topic aren't even believing followers of Christ.

I called on the name of the LORD and He saved me.

Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:06:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RamaSita] [#23]
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:13:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Most everybody in my county referred to them as "pew jumpers," defined as such because the congregants would inevitably make a mad dash for the altar in order to start babbling, going into spasms, thrashing around, etc.

I don't know if I ever even heard them referred to as Pentecostal till I was a teenager
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:01:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By BDA:

Jeez....

Its not a mutually exclusive idea to be able to point out charlatans and play acting, while still believing in a christian god.

Why are you so hell bent on defending obviously silly stuff, by invoking reasonable things?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZIrU7m0gx0
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BDA:

Interesting.  Because I see people praying for the sick--all the time.

What Christian denomination do you belong to, exactly, which believes that the works of the Holy Spirit has ceased and therefore prayer cannot heal the sick?

Jeez....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZIrU7m0gx0

Thank you for sharing your heartfelt insights and your highlight reel of buffoons and flakes.  You might want to consider adding Farting Preacher to your lineup.

Now explain to me why you don't bother to capitalize the "G" in God.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:31:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By sixpointfivejap:
Growing up I went to a holiness pentecostal church of god. It was pretty small, maybe 30-40 members, though I lived in a very rural area so that's the norm. They didn't do any snake handling. All the women had really long hair and always wore long skirts and never pants, boys always wore khaki pants and never shorts, that kind of thing. What I've always wondered though, and the reason I'm making this thread (Other than being 5 beers deep on a Wednesday night) was the speaking in tongues. It seemed like everyone did it in the congregation when things got heated during the sermon. However the weirdest was when the pastor did it. He'd babble on in tongues, and then his mother in law (Who was the previous pastors widow) would translate whatever he supposedly said into english. It was usually about something that was going on in the church or with members of the congregation. Is translating tongues common in pentecostal or other protestants churches? I've always heard of people speaking in tongues, but never translating it, so now I'm wondering if mom and dad took me to some weird christian cult.
View Quote
If you read the scriptures carefully you'll find that "tongues" were always known languages that were gifted to those who did not speak those languages and were a sign to unbelievers. It was an evangelistic manifestation of the Holy Spirit. I do not believe those sign gifts continued on after the days of the Apostles. They served their purpose at a specific time. I am not a full cessationist, but that's a different subject.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:38:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Hummdida Hummdida Humdida da!!

I went to a Pentecostal church every once in a while.  Total Bullshit!!
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 12:01:53 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By akcaribouhunter:
There are pentecostal churches in Bush Alaska.
They are really wierd and demean women really bad.
View Quote
Hmm...that is odd.

Former Pentecostal and now ARDENT and DEVOUT Atheist.....I always found that Pentecostal and Apostolics held women in very high regard.

I mean there is ALWAYS that one bible thumping cunt of a man that makes sure to take everything to some stupid fucking extreme...but my experiences were that women were treasured.

Link Posted: 4/20/2024 12:36:52 AM EDT
[#29]
Rondala Shawndalah, one of my favorites. Back in the early 70s and 60s, lotsa churches Doing It, For real conversion from Catholic to ...a Child of The Living God, INSIDE THE CHURCH. got heavy, Nuns started coming and then the Chief Dude of the District ?? Bishop? Strange Days.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 12:41:46 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 8:10:34 AM EDT
[#31]
Reminds me of a old Crash Test dummy song.

Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm

But both girl and boy were glad
'Cause one kid had it worse than that

'Cause then there was this boy whose
Parents made him come directly home right after school
And when they went to their church
They shook and lurched all over the church floor
He couldn't quite explain it
They'd always just gone there
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 12:21:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 12:22:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 12:24:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Ever since I was a young stallion I wanted to know if they wore anything under those long skirts

Link Posted: 4/20/2024 12:29:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cincinnatus] [#35]
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 3:20:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By killstick_engaged:
Ever since I was a young stallion I wanted to know if they wore anything under those long skirts

View Quote

Fur.

Lots of fur.

They don’t shave anything.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top