Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/30/2024 1:03:22 AM EDT
I can't believe they still exist and you can get service.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 1:05:15 AM EDT
[#1]

Link Posted: 4/30/2024 1:11:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By PA-Minuteman:

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/30/2024 1:26:54 AM EDT
[#3]
SkyPager rocked. I loved it and the personal message service was great.

We ran our own system at work and had tons of them. It was great to have fun right until I found out every outgoing message is in a log.

We dumped it all when text messages took over, but we were slow and waited until 2010.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 1:45:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Yup. Work provided pager that never leaves the factory
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 1:50:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Just radios now.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 1:53:19 AM EDT
[#6]
My first pager was in 1982, Motorola, was the size of a pack of cigarettes.

I would get beep, have to call a number to get the message from a live operator.  That was high tech then

Link Posted: 4/30/2024 2:00:30 AM EDT
[#7]
My work was using pagers up until around 2020, but went away from them due to some issues with finding replacement parts for the system or something. They were pretty handy since we would use them for alarm callouts. After them we went through an Ipod Touch phase, which sucked because they were wifi only which wasn't totally reliable across site and then we went to Ipads with more functions to allow us to do work orders as well and have a pager app but it had the same wifi issue which they eventually fixed by adding a bunch of routers across site, however now you were stuck carrying a big ass Ipad with a pager function. Current iteration is issuing Iphones to everyone, which comes with the same pager app which no one uses anymore, along with having cell and wifi for calling and teams.

All in all, a bunch of workarounds that work terribly compared to a simple pager. Most of which get bricked at each system update, and are a total pain in the ass to get working right through the various VPN, authentication, and work order apps.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 2:01:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By JimEN:
View Quote
I'd like to have one.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 2:14:47 AM EDT
[#9]
View Quote

I do!!

It's called an Iphone multi-function Communication Device...
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 2:26:53 AM EDT
[#10]
I miss the days of the pager, it was awesome.  There were no group messages that sent a million notifications every day.  There were no stupid apps that push notifications.  I didn't have to use it to access every account in the world and it didn't have to connect to my car, headphones, stereo, refrigerator, tv and lights to make those things work.  It was a simple device that told me someone wanted to speak with me, and I could call them back at my convenience.  The pager was a technology that kept us in touch, but also left us free to live our lives.  

Link Posted: 4/30/2024 2:32:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Is this hotel pager-friendly?
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 2:34:56 AM EDT
[#12]

Link Posted: 4/30/2024 6:32:42 AM EDT
[#13]

View Quote
Fire Department

Cellular goes down quite often so we have to rely on pagers
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 6:42:26 AM EDT
[#14]
We do for on call at the cath lab. We have an app for the phones but it’s dependent on your cell service, pager seems to always work.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 6:50:12 AM EDT
[#15]
They use higher frequency signals that penetrate large, sometimes shielded buildings (hospitals) and use satellites to relay messages so they still work if a tower is down.

Lots of life / safety industries use them.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 7:31:47 AM EDT
[#16]
I was late to the pager party. I didn't get one until 1997, for work. There were cell phones but they were still billed by the minute. I loved having a pager. Although it was, in general, a fun time of my life back then.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 7:48:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: pale_pony] [#17]
A pager and a pocket full of quarters for the pay phones

Before that we just sent up smoke signals

But seriously,  we had a dipshit client named J. Nance who wanted to know why we wouldn't interview witnesses via cell phone while on surveillance when "Roaming" charges were a dollar a minute and we were still billing only $50 an hour

We fired that client most riki tik
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 7:54:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By xdoctor:
I miss the days of the pager, it was awesome.  There were no group messages that sent a million notifications every day.  There were no stupid apps that push notifications.  I didn't have to use it to access every account in the world and it didn't have to connect to my car, headphones, stereo, refrigerator, tv and lights to make those things work.  It was a simple device that told me someone wanted to speak with me, and I could call them back at my convenience.  The pager was a technology that kept us in touch, but also left us free to live our lives.  

View Quote

this
they replaced our pagers with iphones years ago

i miss my pager

and i hate carrying two phones

Link Posted: 4/30/2024 8:22:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Ayup.
Volly fire dept.
Gets signal when/where cell phone don’t.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 8:25:44 AM EDT
[#20]
Volunteer FF. I carry it when I’m outside and away from my phone.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 8:27:25 AM EDT
[#21]
Mobile phone sky pager living major
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 8:31:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By flightmed:
We do for on call at the cath lab. We have an app for the phones but it’s dependent on your cell service, pager seems to always work.
View Quote

Was going to say, med people are the only ones I’ve seen in decades that still use them.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 8:37:36 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By BlackTaco:

View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top