Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/1/2023 4:02:51 PM EDT
Looking to have a nice pen made for my wife for Christmas
I want it to be made from a shredded money blank since she is in banking. Anyone do that here?
Link Posted: 12/1/2023 4:21:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Spleenless-Dave] [#1]
I have a friend in Kansas City that does custom pens, wine stoppers, etc and he does very good work.  I can give you his number if you like. I've got several wood pens he's done and used to have one that he made from a spent 50 caliber shell.
Link Posted: 12/1/2023 4:40:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sigpros] [#2]
Absolutely thank you. I live just north of KC so I’m local
Link Posted: 12/1/2023 4:44:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, I've been turning pens for a few decades.
Link Posted: 12/1/2023 5:54:19 PM EDT
[#4]
I didn't know what shredded money blank was.  A quick search found a bunch of pens already made and sold.
Link Posted: 12/1/2023 6:18:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Covertness:
Yeah, I've been turning pens for a few decades.
View Quote

I recommend this man, he does great work!
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 12:26:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#6]
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 9:39:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Kitties-with-Sigs:
A member here makes beautiful pens.

@zombievt

ETA:

Here is one post with a few of his pens:  https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Project-thread-Big-or-small-let-s-see-them-all-/197-2493849/&page=17#i105643014

If you scroll down the page, you'll see more.

View Quote

@Kitties-with-Sigs thanks for the shout out.

Attachment Attached File

Here's one I did with shredded currency a few years back.
Link Posted: 12/21/2023 2:05:51 AM EDT
[#8]
@sigpros

Did you ever get this done?

If not, I can do it.  A little late, sorry.  I don’t come here often.

Rockler makes these blanks.  They work well in Gatsby or Gatsby junior pen kits.

Attachment Attached File

This is a Gatsby made with wood salvaged from the USS Constitution.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/21/2023 2:08:20 AM EDT
[#9]
You seek @NeXTTime
Link Posted: 12/21/2023 2:33:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By cornhskr:
You seek @NeXTTime
View Quote

Who seeks that person, the OP or me?
Link Posted: 12/21/2023 12:10:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RLR350] [#11]
OP and I spoke via PM.  Here are a few examples.  A couple banksia seed blanks, a Jack Daniels whiskey barrel blank, a carbon fiber blank and I don’t remember blanks. The fourth from right (gun metal/gold) is a Gatsby Jr.  The far right is a Gatsby.  Similar, but the Jr. is smaller diameter.
Attachment Attached File

An abalone shell
Attachment Attached File

This one is Koa, indigenous to Hawaii. It was for friend who took his mother’s ashes to Hawaii to disburse over the ocean.  The white segments are pieces of the key card from the hotel he stayed at on that trip.
Attachment Attached File

Miscellaneous ones.  The bottom four are Koa from various islands.  The white are key cards from hotels we stayed at.  Each is themed, like the bottom is black and red, volcanic like, from the big island. The ones with blue acrylic are from the Moana Surfrider, the oldest hotel on Waikiki.  The top one is Marine Corp dress blues for a friend’s kid that joined the USMC.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/27/2023 10:05:15 PM EDT
[#12]
I ordered a couple of shredded money pen blanks from Rockler.  The two blanks will make four Gatsby pens.  On the first one, I didn’t paint the brass tubes.  It looks ok, but I’m going to try two more, one with the tube painted white and one with the tube painted green. When the blanks are new, they look like the money is really compact.  As they get turned, the voids become more obvious, so the tube color is important.  Brass kind of looks like gold, so it may be the best, but I’ll finish the two colors tomorrow and see.  The paint has to dry otherwise I’d finish them tonight.

I’ll post the other ones when they are done for comparison.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/27/2023 10:08:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By zombievt:

@Kitties-with-Sigs thanks for the shout out.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/23848/85208907_485507109021683_353635359194401-3046853.JPG

Here's one I did with shredded currency a few years back.
View Quote

Did you paint the tube in that one and do you remember what blank you used?  It looks like the amount of blank left between the tube and the outside is a little thicker on that pen kit.  The Gatsby’s turn really thin, very little blank thickness.
Link Posted: 12/27/2023 11:44:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By RLR350:

Did you paint the tube in that one and do you remember what blank you used?  It looks like the amount of blank left between the tube and the outside is a little thicker on that pen kit.  The Gatsby’s turn really thin, very little blank thickness.
View Quote

I don't paint the tubes, I actually paint the inside of the blank. As weird as it sounds, I find I get better adhesion when I epoxy the tubes in by painting the blanks than the tubes.

The kit on that one is the Tec Bolt. The Mesa, Gatsby, and Sierra all use the same tube and bushings. The Tec Bolt wall thickness is thicker than the Gatsby/Mesa/Sierra.
Link Posted: 12/28/2023 12:55:36 AM EDT
[#15]

I don't paint the tubes, I actually paint the inside of the blank. As weird as it sounds, I find I get better adhesion when I epoxy the tubes in by painting the blanks than the tubes.

The kit on that one is the Tec Bolt. The Mesa, Gatsby, and Sierra all use the same tube and bushings. The Tec Bolt wall thickness is thicker than the Gatsby/Mesa/Sierra.
View Quote

Thanks.  I used to paint inside the blanks with acrylic paints and q tips.  I’ll probably go back to that method.  The only reason I stopped was I moved and got rid of all the paints.

I suspected the wall thickness was greater on the kit you used.
Link Posted: 12/28/2023 3:30:05 PM EDT
[#16]
You folks are so talented.  This is some amazing work, so beautiful.
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 7:32:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 11:19:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: zombievt] [#18]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I got a new laptop and was going through some old photos.... NFA stamp reproduction on a bolt action that a buddy's wife had me make him for Christmas a few years ago.
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 8:17:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RLR350] [#19]

That abalone shell is beautiful!  The one from the Constitution though!
View Quote

The Constitution one is neat.  I only have a few pieces of its wood left and they don’t sell it anymore, so I cherish it.  

Here is another one that is just as interesting, maybe not as pretty though.

The wood is from the deck of the USS Missouri.  It’s teak they took off to replace when they were doing the refurb for the museum.  I have a nice, expensive chunk.  In that pen I had to use black plastic as a segment because the sample wasn’t wide enough, but it ended up looking like the caulking between the slats on the original deck.

Attachment Attached File

The surrender deck of the USS Missouri:

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/30/2023 8:18:22 PM EDT
[#20]
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/23848/79826517_10220979138205742_8675482437796-3075496.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/23848/72629404_10220979138325745_4606797280492-3075495.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/23848/80874702_10220979137885734_1783886633142-3075497.JPG

I got a new laptop and was going through some old photos.... NFA stamp reproduction on a bolt action that a buddy's wife had me make him for Christmas a few years ago.
View Quote

Nice. I like pens with meaning.
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 8:26:26 PM EDT
[#21]
As Zombievt and I discussed earlier, this is an example of how the tube color or painting the inside of the blanks can make a difference.  

The differences between the two pens are the color of the kit and the color of the painted tubes.  The lighter one is white painted and the darker is green, but both are the same blank.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 11:10:38 PM EDT
[#22]
A Manhattan for my daughter who is in town and picked out the stuff at Rockler.

This is a better pen kit than the Gatsby, although it is the same size tube and bushings.  It is very forgiving on the tube length. It is also a little more stylish, IMO.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 11:56:04 PM EDT
[#23]
I’ve always thought about getting something made from the limbs from an old black walnut that grows behind my parents house back on the family farm.  My mind always went to stuff like grips for a 1911 or knife scales…..but pens would be pretty neat.  Awhile back some big storms took down some limbs and we put them away for some future use.  Next time I am there, I should look at them and see if any are in good condition.
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 12:49:48 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By dcs12345:
I’ve always thought about getting something made from the limbs from an old black walnut that grows behind my parents house back on the family farm.  My mind always went to stuff like grips for a 1911 or knife scales…..but pens would be pretty neat.  Awhile back some big storms took down some limbs and we put them away for some future use.  Next time I am there, I should look at them and see if any are in good condition.
View Quote

I may or may not know somebody that took some juniper branches from a canada canoeing trip back to the states and turn them into pens for everyone in the group that went.

If they did make them, it would look really cool and be very meaningful I think. I suggest you do it.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 1:27:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RLR350] [#25]
I got a new Record Power Herald wood lathe to support my pen hobby.  While it’s not wood, the same wood turning techniques were used for this fountain pen.  The only purchased parts are the nib and ink cartridge.  Lots of die and tap work.  For those familiar, it is based on a 14 mm triple start cap thread.  The blank is Nebula Diamond Cast, which started as a 8.5” x 3/4” Alumilite rod.  The section is based on a Jowo #6 nib.  (This particular one I use in the shop for test fitting, so it’s a little messed up.). These are a little more fun than the typical kit pens.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 9:59:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 11:52:05 PM EDT
[#27]
I am losing my beloved ash.  It is 56" dbh (a huge tree, if folks don't know the measurements) and has stood guard over this little piece of land since before the house was even built in 1849.

I failed it.  The EAB got it.  

I was thinking, when it comes down, if y'all will tell me what pieces to harvest for pens, I might save some wood to have one of you make some.  

I'm hoping to save a round, to do an epoxy piece, as well, but I have a lot to learn.  

So if this is a viable idea for pens, if you want to tell me what to save, I will do so, then when it's ready, I will ship to y'all.

It will likely be early summer when I have to remove it.

~Kitties
View Quote

I’ll make it for you.  Any long grain piece. Something with a small knot would be cool.  Look at Penn State Industries for the type of kit style and color you like.  Just pm down the road when you are ready.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 11:39:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#28]
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 12:27:08 AM EDT
[#29]

Okay so the length of the grain needs to be how long?  (I mean....you want a "rip" piece, meaning you want the long fibers of the wood?  If so, how long do the fibers need to be?)

Apologies....I don't know anything about this type of woodwork.  I frame, and do just a bit of trim...and I'm in here to learn more about how wood works.

And Thank You!

View Quote

Yes, you’re right. Long grain means running with the grain.  A piece about 5-6” long and 3/4-1” square would work.  If it’s bigger, I can cut it down.

These are typical pieces cut to pen blank size; 5” x 3/4”.  Any piece that I can cut down to this size works.  A bigger piece or two pieces would be good.  Of course, the dryer the better, like a dead limb.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/25/2024 8:59:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 4:20:43 PM EDT
[#31]
If you cut your blanks 15 degrees off the long grain surface your pens will have a nice grain pattern.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 9:06:00 PM EDT
[#32]
I wonder if would be possible to make some pens from some old fence posts from my families farm.

The curved price is from an old black walnut from my parents backyard on the farm

Link Posted: 4/7/2024 9:23:50 PM EDT
[#33]
I wonder if would be possible to make some pens from some old fence posts from my families farm.

The curved price is from an old black walnut from my parents backyard on the farm

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/82036/IMG_4201-3181555.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/82036/IMG_4202-3181556.jpg
View Quote

Easy peasy.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 10:08:21 PM EDT
[#34]

Easy peasy.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/82036/IMG_4201-3181555.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/82036/IMG_4202-3181556.jpg

Easy peasy.

Anyone want a little project?
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 11:44:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Crap!
Off to Penn State Industries to spend some more money on stuff for my Turncrafter lathe.
I've been thinking about turning pens for a couple of years - I guess this thread is gonna make me buy the stuff I need to do it...
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 10:28:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RLR350] [#36]
Originally Posted By AZ_Sky:
Crap!
Off to Penn State Industries to spend some more money on stuff for my Turncrafter lathe.
I've been thinking about turning pens for a couple of years - I guess this thread is gonna make me buy the stuff I need to do it...
View Quote

I don’t know where you are in Arizona, but Turners Warehouse is a great store in Gilbert/Chandler.  I’ve never been, but watch a lot of their you tube videos and buy a lot of stuff on line from them.  It’s where I got my new lathe a few months ago.  They also have a Facebook page where turners submit different projects.

Here are some of my newer fountain pens.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 10:34:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RLR350] [#37]
This is a cool one.  It has Diamond dust in the resin casting (I didn’t make the casting, just turned the pen) that makes a neat glitter.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 10:50:44 PM EDT
[#38]

I don't know where you are in Arizona, but Turners Warehouse is a great store in Gilbert/Chandler.  I've never been, but watch a lot of their you tube videos and buy a lot of stuff on line from them.  It's where I got my new lathe a few months ago.  They also have a Facebook page where turners submit different projects.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/188107/IMG_6764_jpeg-3204863.JPG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AZ_Sky:
Crap!

I don't know where you are in Arizona, but Turners Warehouse is a great store in Gilbert/Chandler.  I've never been, but watch a lot of their you tube videos and buy a lot of stuff on line from them.  It's where I got my new lathe a few months ago.  They also have a Facebook page where turners submit different projects.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/188107/IMG_6764_jpeg-3204863.JPG
I'm up in Prescott.
I'll check them out.
But to be honest, I'm more into wood pens than acrylics..

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 7:24:25 PM EDT
[#39]

I don’t know where you are in Arizona, but Turners Warehouse is a great store in Gilbert/Chandler.  I’ve never been, but watch a lot of their you tube videos and buy a lot of stuff on line from them.  It’s where I got my new lathe a few months ago.  They also have a Facebook page where turners submit different projects.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/188107/IMG_6764_jpeg-3205061.JPG
View Quote

I have spent a fair amount with Turner's Warehouse. Actually, after my craft event today, I need to spend some more with them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top