Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/3/2024 1:27:44 AM EDT
Family and I plan on taking an Alaska cruise in a couple months and I decided to get a new camera (coming from a Nikon d60) that I got a good deal on that was open box. Wanted something as portable but powerful as possible…seemed like a good choice. I paired it with a Tamron 28-200 F/2.8-5.6 Di III RXD and a Sony  FE 50mm f/1.8 Standard Prime Lens. I also ordered a 20 stop solar filter for the tamron lense for the eclipse. If you own one, how do you like it? Any tips for someone who hasn’t used a nice camera for 10 years? From the little I’ve played with it, it seems light years ahead of my old Nikon.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 5:09:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By BeatsOfftoEVs:
Family and I plan on taking an Alaska cruise in a couple months and I decided to get a new camera (coming from a Nikon d60) that I got a good deal on that was open box. Wanted something as portable but powerful as possible…seemed like a good choice. I paired it with a Tamron 28-200 F/2.8-5.6 Di III RXD and a Sony  FE 50mm f/1.8 Standard Prime Lens. I also ordered a 20 stop solar filter for the tamron lense for the eclipse. If you own one, how do you like it? Any tips for someone who hasn’t used a nice camera for 10 years? From the little I’ve played with it, it seems light years ahead of my old Nikon.
View Quote

So I bought one from B&H to serve as a travel version of my A7R III

My initial impressions:  it's light, tiny and not made for my hands.  If you're a DSLR guy, it's going to be a whole new ball game.  IQ is good, same head scratching menu system as the A7r.  It's designed to use the rear screen I believe, as the EVF isn't the most comfortable.  Basically, take an A7 series and remove a lot of the buttons.  

I tried to use it shoot a wide angle for the eclipse, but it was too high for my 24mm f/1.4 GM.  I did shoot video for my daughter's 1st grade school performance, which did well, until a land cow decided to park herself directly in front of me.  

Ended up returning it.  Mainly it's too small for my hands not enough of a compromise for me to not use the A7R.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 3:56:13 PM EDT
[#2]
As mentioned it is small
That is what it is designed to be.
High quality sensor
IQ is great.
The purpose was to get good image quality in a small package and it does that really well
It’s a back up body for me but I take it as a primary if I’m wanting to go light and small.
No compromise in IQ just not as many bells and whistles and the viewfinder is not quite as good as larger pro bodies
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:01:31 AM EDT
[#3]
eatsOfftoEVs: I own a Sony A6700 & A6600, they are pretty good cameras, personally I find the menus of both cameras complex and very non-intuitive, so with that said, I suggest that you use the heck out of your camera BEFORE you go on vacation. I am basically a still photographer, and only use 25% of the capabilities of either camera, and I only used the video portion of those cameras on a very rudimentary level. For whatever camera you get, you may want to get a book to explain and how to use the various functions, and in addition to Sony's manuals.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top