Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/28/2024 4:17:20 PM EDT
https://www.azfamily.com/2024/03/28/apartments-consider-turning-dna-testing-get-renters-pick-up-dog-poop/

TOLEDO, Ohio (WTVG/Gray News) – An apartment complex in Ohio might be turning to DNA testing to determine the culprit who is constantly leaving dog poop outside.

The Ravenswood Apartments in Toledo said they are considering using a company called PooPrints that collects dogs’ DNA with a mouth swab to help properties manage pet waste.

Whenever unwanted droppings are found on a property, managers can swab it, put it in a kit and send it back to the PooPrints lab in hopes it matches a dog living in the complex.

While the concept would be new at the Ravenswood Apartments, PooPrints was established in 2008 and expanded commercially in 2011.

According to its website, PooPrints is now being used by over 7,000 communities. The company’s goals are to promote responsible pet ownership, protect the environment, and expand pet access.

However, some Ravenswood residents aren’t keen on the idea.

“There are more important things to spend $ on here such as renovation of 50-year-old apartments and a swimming pool that leaks,” one resident said on Facebook.

The Ravenswood property manager said PooPrints is an option they are looking at to help fix their dog waste problem, but it is not the only one.

While it’s not set in stone yet, the complex said the policy will start sometime in April if they proceed.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:19:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2ANut] [#1]
My complex does this. Of course it doesn't work because the renters who don't pick up their poop also don't register their dogs' DNA...
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:35:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: networkguru] [#2]
i knew of a deed restricted planned local community in CO that does this.
See all the shitbag owners who like to let their dogs shit and not pick it up.
Then it snows, and freezes and snows and freezes so you get shit tons of shit in the areas they shit and the turds bloom when the snow melts.
Its great for the aesthetics.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:46:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 2ANut:
My complex does this. Of course it doesn't work because the renters who don't pick up their poop also don't register their dogs' DNA...
View Quote

Same thing at my complex.  Not supposed to be pit bulls here either, but people just don't register them. Also we have a farmers market on weekends where people bring their dogs.  There would be so many non matches it wouldn't be worth it.  I think it's mostly an intimidation tactic.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:48:53 PM EDT
[#4]
How much does that cost to do? Tack on an extra $200 to everyones rent
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:05:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Might be cheaper to just clean it up.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:07:00 PM EDT
[#6]
lol renters.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top