User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 5:42:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By frayedknot:

I trust the 4.0 so much I put a second in my LJ.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By frayedknot:
Originally Posted By Finslayer83:
Last good Jeeps we’re made in 2005.

TJ/LJ.

I’d only trust a 4.0 vs the 3.8/3.6

I trust the 4.0 so much I put a second in my LJ.

It must be really fast!
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 6:18:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a 2018 JLU Sport S.  It has the 3.6L and 130k miles.  Only warranty work done on it was the rear window defroster wire popped off.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 6:59:59 PM EDT
[#3]
My 95 YJ has over 240,000mi. All stock, original motor although I have rebuilt/regeared the rear axle to 4:10 and still need to do the front axle. My daughter drives it daily so yeah it’s been reliable. Bought it used 15 years ago from the original owner, brakes, battery, u joints, tires, and usual tuneup stuff. Oh the bolts on a motor mount broke and the fuel over pressure valve went bad 2 years ago

My 2020 Rubicon has 42,000mi with the only thing being a broker sunvisor hinge.  

My niece is on her third wrangler with the first two having issues but I have no idea how she drives or takes care of the ones she has had.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 7:49:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mousehunter] [#4]
Originally Posted By azjeeper:

It must be really fast!
View Quote
While it would probably take 2 to make it fast - I don't think a fast Jeep would be a fun thing - It would need a "This Side Up" sticker for sure.

I needed a new vehicle in 2002, and was interested in the LJ then - but the demand was such I could not wait to find one (and did not want to pay a premium).  Instead I got a POC Chevy which I sold in 2 years while it was still in warranty - I did not want to own it out of warranty, it had been in the shop too much already.  Lost way too much money on that one.  So 20+ years latter I finally got the LJ.  It's fun, and I do drive it almost daily - but honestly, I am damn glad I did not get it in 2002 because it would have been my only vehicle then.  I do too many trips, it is not a great long range vehicle.  It gets less range on a tank than a budget EV.  My other 2 primary vehicles can do most of my trips on 2 tanks (honestly they almost do it on 1 tank, maybe with a tailwind and without the AC) - the LJ takes 4-5.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 9:09:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Blanco_Diablo:
Coming up on 90k miles on my 2020 JLU sport S with zero issues at all. Just done standard PM the whole time

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/68140/1000002270_jpg-3191378.JPG

Bought brand new in May 2020
View Quote

You put 90k miles in that thing in four years?  Ironback.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 9:18:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Bronsonburner:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Bronsonburner:
Originally Posted By Blanco_Diablo:
Coming up on 90k miles on my 2020 JLU sport S with zero issues at all. Just done standard PM the whole time

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/68140/1000002270_jpg-3191378.JPG

Bought brand new in May 2020

I guess different strokes for different folks, but I never understand people who complain about JKs and JLs being uncomfortable.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 9:34:47 PM EDT
[#7]
No, not even before they switched to the minivan engine.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 9:42:30 PM EDT
[#8]
My wife’s 2014 needed both cylinder heads replaced.

It also ate the camshaft.

It was NOT cheap, thank God we bought an aftermarket warranty.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 9:51:36 PM EDT
[#9]
16 jkur with 130,000 on the clock. I drive into extremely remote and harsh environments without any concern whether I’ll be stranded or not.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 9:51:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hater] [#10]
2005 TJ 74k miles, not a lot for the years.

Still, the  4.0 is legendary for durability.  

J-E-E-P is not reliability but accessories.

The 3.8 is not sexy, but not unreliable either.  Lift any Jeep cheaply and get the geometry wrong and you're asking for problems.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:09:19 PM EDT
[#11]
I've only owned the older 4.0L YJ's and TJ's. All with manual transmission. I don't really care for JK or JL's. The last Jeep I had was a 95 YJ, stock drivetrain except for a re-gear and locker. 3" lift that was actually done correctly, and aftermarket bumpers and winch. I finally sold it with 270k on it. Only things I actually needed to ever do to it were brake lines (it did get kinda rusty ), replaced the ignition coil, and went ahead and replaced the cap, rotor, wires and plugs along with it. Rear main seal was starting to leak a bit, about a quart per oil change. Other than those minor things, I drove it daily for years without issue, with light to moderate off road use on occasion.  
Both TJ's I owned ended up needing a fuel pump at some point.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:34:03 PM EDT
[#12]
2012 JK 4 door here:

Cam sensor
Crank sensor
Blend door actuator
Oil Cooler / Intake Gaskets
Transmission lines (that one was probably the wife wheeling)

I am sure that I am forgetting some things over 12 years other than normal stuff like brakes and other expendables
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:41:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Mine has been 100% reliable AND I use it like a jeep should be used.  About 40k on the odo.

It had two recalls early on - a reflash of the ECU (I didn't notice a thing before or after) and a front bumper air bag sensor.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 12:15:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By 797hp:
My wife’s 2014 needed both cylinder heads replaced.

It also ate the camshaft.

It was NOT cheap, thank God we bought an aftermarket warranty.
View Quote

My '12 had one head replaced (left) and probably needed it a second time when I traded it in. Jeep gave a
100K/10 year warranty extension on the right head.

My neighbor's '14 had so many camshaft issues Jeep ended up replacing his engine. His wife has a '15 and it's been
trouble-free. A lot of the early model issues affected 2012-2013, but I hear way less problems on JKUs from
2015+ than I do 2012-14.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 12:34:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Jeeps are great for what they were built for.   That is not driving 40,000 miles a year on the highway or daily commuting.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 12:40:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Precious87] [#16]
Originally Posted By vaughn4380:
If it’s mostly stock it will be as reliable as any other car made in 2012. Crappy lift and “custom” mods? Run.
View Quote

Fucking really?

Camry and Accord just entered the ring, prepare to fight!

@vaughn4380
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 2:25:10 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By MikeJGA:
Jeeps are great for what they were built for.   That is not driving 40,000 miles a year on the highway or daily commuting.
View Quote

Do you say the same thing about pickups, full size SUVs, sports cars, etc?
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 6:16:56 AM EDT
[#18]
I've beat the absolute piss out of my JK with no issues. Thing is indestructible. I hear a lot about poor reliability but that's not been my experience. I've done shit to that car the CIA wouldn't put a terrorist through.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 6:28:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By NachoDip:
For the most part they are very reliable. The people usually having issues are the ones that are going with massive lifts but aren’t taking care of the issues that come with the massive lifts. Gearing, etc.
View Quote

This.
And the ones that beat the crap out of them on rocks and through mud and then wonder why sensors dont work and tie rod ends snap.

After 335k miles I just replaced the 4.0 in my 96XJ.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 7:38:12 AM EDT
[#20]
My '14 JK M6 with almost 90k miles

Mostly highway driving and averages 20-24 mpg.

Oil cooler
Tires
Brake Light Bulbs
Radio
Battery (lasted 9 years)
Windshield Wipers (once a year it seems like - keep a set in the back)

Wife's '13 JK Auto with 58k miles

Mostly in town driving and averages 16-18 mpg.

Oil cooler (oil pressure sensor went bad - replace everything while in there)
Brake Light Bulbs
Battery (lasted 8 years)
Windshield Wipers (every other year it seems like - keep a set in the back)
Thermostat Housing
TPMS Sensor

Both are completely stock.  Oil changes every 5k miles and rotate/balance tires, including the spare.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 7:43:43 AM EDT
[#21]
my 79 cj7 was a pos but i also beat the living hell out of it.

my JK was fine, just underpowered...

Attachment Attached File

my JL 392 XR has been great and its the best jeep ever made imo

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 8:00:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Boomer:

View All Quotes

Similar could be said, but if you'd ever traveled loaded heavy onthe interstates in a lifted soft top any length of time, you'd understand his point.......it sucks
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 8:00:55 AM EDT
[#23]
Had a 98 wrangler for 10 years and 100,000 miles. It was my favorite vehicle ever. So much fun with the top and doors off. However it was a POS. In the shop for all kinds of issues including factory paint that blistered and peeled within 2 years. The only car I’ve ever owned that ran out of gas multiple times. Instrument cluster would randomly fail and I’d have no idea what the gas gauge actually read. I’d really love another one, but I’ll stick to my 4Runner for reliability.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 8:05:27 AM EDT
[#24]
I've owned
2003 tj rubicon
2011 4 door
2021 gladiator

No issues.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 8:09:15 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By HighLighter:
I’m looking at a 2012 Sport manual transmission 4x4 that looks great. Around 60K miles.  I’ve always heard bad things about Jeeps but I figure a lot of that is brand “banter”.

Should I run away from Jeep products?
View Quote

I’d run because it’s the lowest model they make. If you’re going to chop into it for off roading and replace the transfer case, suspension, wheels and tires just pass on this one.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:15:17 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Panta_Rei:

Similar could be said, but if you'd ever traveled loaded heavy on the interstates in a lifted soft top any length of time, you'd understand his point.......it sucks
View All Quotes

Similar could be said, but if you'd ever traveled loaded heavy on the interstates in a lifted soft top any length of time, you'd understand his point.......it sucks

Well I had the hard top on at the time, but I’ve done 900 miles a day in a slightly lifted, loaded up JKU with bigger tires at speeds up to 80-90mph and felt totally comfortable. I’ve done half that pulling a small trailer, too, albeit I kept the speed down to 70 on that trip. And done more 300 mile days than I can remember. The Jeep handled and rode just fine. Honestly, my only complaint if that you can feel it running out of power past 80 and the fuel economy really nosedives at that point. But otherwise, the experiences have been fine. We enjoyed the drives and weren’t any more worn afterwards out than similar trips in our other vehicles.

I have only driven it a couple of hundred miles with either the soft top and soft doors on or no top or doors at all. Just turn the radio up a little or a lot more.

One of my bucket list goals is a cross country trip to dip this Jeep’s tires in the Atlantic ocean, too.

These 4 door Jeeps are way more comfortable and versatile than most of the older Jeeps. They can work just fine as a daily driver and occasional trip taker. They aren’t any worse than a pickup, especially a 3/4-1 ton, just about any SUV, a sports car with a performance suspension, etc. I guess there are always mini-vans and Camry’s for the more sensitive backs and butts.

Like I said in another reply, I just don’t understand people who complain about the driving characteristics of the JKs and JLs. Like, why did they buy it, then? They didn’t spend any appreciable time making a buying decision and notice any of those characteristics on the test drives?
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:17:27 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By durtychemist:

I’d run because it’s the lowest model they make. If you’re going to chop into it for off roading and replace the transfer case, suspension, wheels and tires just pass on this one.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By durtychemist:
Originally Posted By HighLighter:
I’m looking at a 2012 Sport manual transmission 4x4 that looks great. Around 60K miles.  I’ve always heard bad things about Jeeps but I figure a lot of that is brand “banter”.

Should I run away from Jeep products?

Why would you pay a premium for a Rubicon just to do most of the same thing?
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 12:01:13 PM EDT
[#28]

Similar could be said, but if you'd ever traveled loaded heavy onthe interstates in a lifted soft top any length of time, you'd understand his point.......it sucks
View All Quotes

Soft tops at highway speeds don't suck if you're already mostly deaf.

The looks I get commuting in a soft top jeep when the temp stay below zero are awesome. You can see the vapor lock and BSOD on other driver's faces.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top