Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/19/2023 2:40:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rustybob]
I currently have a trek dual sport 2.  And I started doing longer rides which are giving me numb hands and a sore lower back. I'm interested in a gravel bike or possibly a roadbike to help with this.  Currently for me, long rides are 40 to 50 miles so I only see this getting worse. I have already tried adding bar ends and this has helped a little.   I'm trying to figure out if a gravel bike with drop bars would be more beneficial or getting a set of aero bars for my current flatbars so I can lean over and take some weight off my lower back.  If it matters i'm looking at a checkpoint alr 5.

Any input or thoughts?
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 2:48:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -Obsessed-] [#1]
My riding buddy has a Checkpoint ALR5 ironically.

Are you sure you have a proper bike fit? If you don't have the right size frame currently it won't be comfortable no matter what.

I've found the biggest contributor of pain or lack of pain was a proper bike fit and minimizing jolts.

I minimized jolts by upgrading to a Specialized Roubaix with a tubeless setup. My wrist and elbow pain is gone on all but the longest rides (60mi+) and I only have a basic fit...I'll get an in depth fit once I get more miles on the bike but for now the basic fit will at least ensure you have proper frame size, bar size, crank length, etc.

My Roubaix on the left, his Checkpoint on the right.

Link Posted: 7/19/2023 4:23:38 PM EDT
[#2]
The bike was fitted by the LBS. How well it was done? I love the bike and will be keeping it no mater what it's great for my work commute 7 miles one way.  But some place between 25 and 30 miles my low back starts hurting.  Hands tend to go numb starting around 10 miles unless in move them to the bar ends every now and then.
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 4:44:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Andr0id] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By rustybob:
The bike was fitted by the LBS. How well it was done? I love the bike and will be keeping it no mater what it's great for my work commute 7 miles one way.  But some place between 25 and 30 miles my low back starts hurting.  Hands tend to go numb starting around 10 miles unless in move them to the bar ends every now and then.
View Quote

Bike shops are all into the new fashionable trends. They like to fit everyone slammed and aero nowadays.

Google up a Merckx or Eddy-fit. It's more upright and lot more comfortable for the average cyclist but still reasonable aero and efficient.

As for hand numb, don't put so much weight on them. Your core is supposed to support your body, your hands are there to steer the bike.
Most of your weight should be on your feet and sit bones.

A common cause of sore hands is a saddle tilted too far nose down. You slide forward and then end up holding your position with your arms rather than your core.
Get your seat level or even a bit tilted back to where you don't slide forward.
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 4:49:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -Obsessed-] [#4]
How upright is your back? What angle does it make with the ground?

Drops help in the sense it gives you 3-4 hand positions. But in general a drop bar bike is going to give you a more laid down position putting more weight on your hands, elbows, and wrists.

Of course, stack and reach is adjustable and you can simply have the bike shop dit you a nice tall, angled stem to get your bars higher. That will make you sit more upright, putting less pressure on your back, shoulders, elbows, wrists, and hands.

Granted you could likely do that on your current bike as well assuming there is room. Depending on how much you want rotated you may need a smaller frame so you can increase stack and decrease reach enough to get you where you want.

Side profile view of you on your bike would help provide some context.
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 5:54:01 PM EDT
[#5]
I never could make drop bars work and then I discovered the Jones bar.  It doesn't have the drops location but it has many different hand positions.  For me, putting my hands right at the point where the tubes meet is equivalent to riding on the hoods, a few inches back is like flat handlebars and all the way to the ends is a completely upright position.

Bicycle handlebar. The Jones Loop H-Bar. Dirt Road Tour Pack Gravel

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/19/2023 8:09:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Heres a side view if anyone wants to offer some fitment ideas.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 11:26:16 PM EDT
[#7]
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/62189/20230719_185417_jpg-2891701.JPG
View Quote

Honestly to me your frame looks a little small.

That said you're fairly upright but your angles seem a bit goofy.

Have you ensured proper saddle height and fore/aft position? Saddle height is easily dialed in via the heel method. With someone holding your bike out your heels on the pedals and pedal backward. You want the highest saddle height you can get without rocking your hips.

Once that is dialed then set fore/aft. With the crank fully forward, drop a plumb bob from the top of your shin, below your kneecap. It should fall perfectly in line with the pedal's axis. If not adjust fore/aft until it does.

Then repeat the pic above. Ideally, the frame should allow a 90 degree angle between arms and back. Yours is a little tighter. If it is still tighter than 90 after saddle adjustment you could get a taller angled stem.
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 11:52:54 PM EDT
[#8]
I prefer drop bars because it gives me more hand position.
I have a Roubaix with Whiskey 9 carbon bars and love the way they fit.
I also have a trek checkpoint ALR 5 for a couple months. I need a good bike fit and probably change a couple of things before it’s right
Link Posted: 7/20/2023 10:20:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By 3-gun:
I also have a trek checkpoint ALR 5 for a couple months. I need a good bike fit and probably change a couple of things before it’s right
View Quote

What year is your Roubaix?

Mines a 2022...they redesigned it completely for 2020 and they are amazing soft...even moreso than previous. The FutureShock is really something.
Link Posted: 7/21/2023 1:06:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By -Obsessed-:

Mines a 2022...they redesigned it completely for 2020 and they are amazing soft...even moreso than previous. The FutureShock is really something.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By -Obsessed-:

2016, the only thing original is the left shift lever and the frame. Carbon wheels, bars, etc. trying to hold off on a new bike a couple of years till I hit 70.😂
Link Posted: 7/21/2023 11:59:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Frame looks a little small to me.  You’re very upright with what look to be stiff arms and hunched shoulders.  May need to be a little more forward leaning with a slight arm bend and relaxed shoulders.  I ride an endurance style road bike which is more upright than a “racing” frame and more comfortable over long distances but you look a little too upright.  Non bike fitter opinion.
Link Posted: 7/21/2023 12:40:25 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm pro drop bar. The drop bars on my road bikes and gravel bike give me lots of different hand positions that I just can't get with a flat bar.

That said, my FS MTB has wider bars than my Fat Bike. My hands tire and get sore quicker on the Fattie partly from position / fit, but also because of the narrow width and longer stem. In the past several years the MTB trend has been to wider bars and shorter stems for better control but it's more comfortable for me.
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 2:51:16 PM EDT
[#13]
So based on comments here and reading about fitting Iv moved the seat up 3/4 and back about the same.  Did 26 miles this morning and my back seams much better but had more problems with my hands being numb.  So I seemed to have helped one problem and made the other worse.

I'm leaning away from adding aero bars to this bike and to getting a drop bar bike but the stable is getting a bit big for the wife.  

Every review I see from people in a similar place say they are happy with the move to drop bars.  So my thought is keep the DS 2 for the work commute and riding with the wife and kids and get a checkpoint for longer weekend rides.  This would also let me put the DS on the trainer in the fall and still have something to ride on nice days.

So I guess the question is would a Checkpoint or other similar gravel bike be a good addition.  I currently have the DS 2, a Fuel ex5 and a fat bike that only gets used in the winter.
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 4:00:45 PM EDT
[#14]
So based on comments here and reading about fitting Iv moved the seat up 3/4 and back about the same.  Did 26 miles this morning and my back seams much better but had more problems with my hands being numb.  So I seemed to have helped one problem and made the other worse.

I'm leaning away from adding aero bars to this bike and to getting a drop bar bike but the stable is getting a bit big for the wife.  

Every review I see from people in a similar place say they are happy with the move to drop bars.  So my thought is keep the DS 2 for the work commute and riding with the wife and kids and get a checkpoint for longer weekend rides.  This would also let me put the DS on the trainer in the fall and still have something to ride on nice days.

So I guess the question is would a Checkpoint or other similar gravel bike be a good addition.  I currently have the DS 2, a Fuel ex5 and a fat bike that only gets used in the winter.
View Quote

I'd look at a Roubaix, Domane, Checkpoint, and Diverge.

The compliant road bikes are very, very smooth riding, the Specialized bikes have FutureShock head tubes that suspend the bars with some suspension action. Domane had their own version of an ultra compliant fork. You can get tires up to 35c on them in most cases. That's quite a bit of rubber.
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 7:49:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Picked up the last checkpoint alr 5 within a 3 hour drive last night.  After 26 miles today all I can say is wow.  On the first ride on the bike I took 4 minutes off my 40K best time and did not feel like I was riding that hard.  I don't feel as confident on the drop bar yet in the corners vs the flat bar but I'm sure that is just a time on the bike thing.
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 10:35:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Using the drops will make you much more aerodynamic and I find it let's me put a bit more power down as well. But with the lower position it will put more weight on your hands/arms and potentially more stress on your lower back..

I'm toying with adding clip on aero bars myself but haven't yet because I'll have to change my saddle position making any time I spend on the flats or drops less ideal.
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 3:45:46 PM EDT
[#17]
What color you get?
Mine had some problems shifting but the dealer made it right.
Also had a lot of flats with the factory tires, like one a week on crushed limestone trails. The factory bontrager sealant was useless. I replaced tires with maxes rambler and use orange sealant. No more problems
All in all a good bike for the money.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 6:48:09 PM EDT
[#18]
What color you get?
Mine had some problems shifting but the dealer made it right.
Also had a lot of flats with the factory tires, like one a week on crushed limestone trails. The factory bontrager sealant was useless. I replaced tires with maxes rambler and use orange sealant. No more problems
All in all a good bike for the money.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/751/70354761635__2B25D65C-D686-409B-8E24-59D-2897598.JPG
View Quote

I  got the white one as it was the only one but I do like the look.  Im am a muc off fan but no flat so far.  Defently need to ajust a few things before the next ride but I felt much better at the end of the 26 mile loop.
Link Posted: 7/30/2023 6:38:36 AM EDT
[#19]
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/62189/20230719_185417_jpg-2891701.JPG
View Quote

Try rotating your brake levers & bar ends “lower” so that there is less bend on your wrists. I use Ergon grips for better fit/support on my FS mtb (straight/riser) bars and on my belt drive commuter that has Jones H-bar 2.5” riser bars.

On my road bikes I spend ~99% of the time on the hoods - it’s the most natural hand position for me.
Link Posted: 7/30/2023 8:46:45 AM EDT
[#20]
In my situation, the following helped me the most:

Redshift QUICK-RELEASE CLIP-ON AEROBARS

Also,

Redshift SHOCKSTOP SUSPENSION STEM

Also,

Added gel pads under my handlebar tape.

The following handlebar has many different hand positions:

The Best Handlebar I've Ever Seen (Bike Fitter explains...)

And I don't find the drops comfy, but I'm old and overweight.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top