Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:41:22 AM EDT
[#1]

covert AF
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:45:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Opsec
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:45:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Covert. But everyone that knows me knows.

Even at work I have people I don't know chatting me for recommendations or advice
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:46:17 AM EDT
[#4]
I went to the Texas Capitol, signed in, & testified in support of Constitutional Carry in front of our Homeland Security Committee. I was a Texas LTC instructor. I own NFA.  

I am on lists. Apparently I matter and helped others get on list by introducing or helping them on their hobby & birthright. That makes me overt.

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:47:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Or better yet.. don’t talk with randos at all.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't talk politics, religion or guns with randos

Or better yet.. don’t talk with randos at all.

I'm not anti social. Depending on the situation I see new people occasionally
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:50:58 AM EDT
[#6]
In between.

I don’t advertise, but apparently I still give off the mil/leo vibe despite leaving that space years ago.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:01:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Depends on the social setting but I will try to introduce people to freedom ideals. The right needs to get better at proselytizing.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:03:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Out side of close family and a few friends noone knows, and you certainly wouldn't guess by meeting me. Many know I'm an avid hunter but that is mostly archery. Persec, I has it.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:09:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Both-ish? I don't hide it, but I don't advertise either. Don't wear gun shirts, stickers and so on. Don't bring it up with random people either and when it has I stayed neutral.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:26:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Covert
Nobody needs to know my business
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:31:02 AM EDT
[#11]
A majority (by far) of people I interact with do not have issues with guns, just folks who misuse them and are criminals.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:33:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:35:58 AM EDT
[#13]
I went on a local radio talk show and did a 30 min segment with them about the state's junior Highpower rifle program and a little about Highpower match shooting in general.  Guess going on the radio (with its associated live in-studio camera feed) is fairly overt.

I'll go out with a polo shirt that has my son's junior highpower rifle team embroidered on it, as well as the state club T-shirts.  If conversation comes up, I'll talk about match shooting and whatnot.  Especially folks with roughly teenage kids, trying to recruit kids for the junior program.  

My son goes out to events and whatnot wearing his junior team shirts with the logo and his name front and back. He engages with kids 13-19 (he's 16) about match shooting a lot.  It's hard getting them actually reeled in, but he's got some to come and shoot a highpower match.  One of his buddies started shooting Garand matches because of getting exposed to it.

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:37:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I do not advertise on my truck or house.

But I do wear 2A type stuff and do try to spread the gospel on firearm ownership when asked about it.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:49:14 AM EDT
[#15]
I don't make any effort to hide it, but I also have zero branding on any of my stuff.

Im not sure what that makes me.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:11:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Covert. But everyone that knows me knows.

Even at work I have people I don't know chatting me for recommendations or advice
View Quote

Yeah I try and fail at not talking about guns too publicly at work... Lots of the other guys don't give a single fuck. If they know you are into guns, they will bring it up no matter who is within ear shot. Luckily my office has more hardcore NFA guys than leftists. About 90% own guns.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:22:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I live in Wyoming....
View Quote

I live in TN.  Overt is the norm.  Otherwise, people think you’re a Commie, pinko, government spy from Yankee land (rightfully so).
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:25:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Depends. With my friends I don't care. At work or in the general public. Covert.

View Quote

You are a smart man. I also abide by these rules.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:27:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Personally I’m fairly overt about it. Helps me start conversations with a lot of my peers and dispel some of the propaganda they’ve been taught.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:28:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
LOL at people with accounts and posting here saying "covert"

View Quote

I don’t think you understand what “covert” means.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:34:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I went to the Texas Capitol, signed in, & testified in support of Constitutional Carry in front of our Homeland Security Committee. I was a Texas LTC instructor. I own NFA.  

I am on lists. Apparently I matter and helped others get on list by introducing or helping them on their hobby & birthright. That makes me overt.

View Quote

I don’t speak at the state level, but I do have standing invitations to speak at the ‘Welcome Wagon’ Newcomers’ meetings and the local Chamber of Commerce.  The oddest gathering I’ve spoken at was to an employee meeting for the local medical center.  The new CEO asked if I could give a brief discussion on our range and the classes we offer along with TN carry laws.  

I love this state!
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:35:57 AM EDT
[#22]
About splitting the difference.

I don’t go out of my way to talk about it, nor avoid it. I don’t do bumper stickers, but I also open carry when voting (we vote at schools and stupid law says you can OC with CPL but not conceal).

I don’t wear firearm branded clothing because I don’t wear branded clothing in general, except fishing and no one is seeing it.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:38:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Depends. With my friends I don't care. At work or in the general public. Covert.

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:40:12 AM EDT
[#24]
Do I open carry in Loudoun suburbia?  No.

Do I discreetly CC?  Yes.

Am I going to hide the fact that I'm pro-2A and own firearms?

HELL NO!

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:50:24 AM EDT
[#25]
Would you say dressing like the Dude is overt or covert?
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:52:46 AM EDT
[#26]
Bird hunting is the only gun-related thing I talk about or share on social media. Shotguns seem to get a free pass from a lot of anti-gun people for some strange reason.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:53:11 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
LOL at people with accounts and posting here saying "covert"

LOL
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:53:35 AM EDT
[#28]
I stay pretty low key around people I work with or don't know.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:53:44 AM EDT
[#29]
Open carry everywhere.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:55:56 AM EDT
[#30]
Covert, but it's more about being a target for theft than any sort of political shit.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:56:53 AM EDT
[#31]
Guns? Guns are scary. They frighten and confuse me.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:41:32 AM EDT
[#32]
“Gray Man” was the best thing that ever happened to the anti-gun movement. And one of the better things that has ever happened to progressivism, in general.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:54:15 AM EDT
[#33]

Guns are icky

H
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:55:33 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I know back in the day most people I knew didn't really talk about their hobby with those who weren't also gun guys. Fast forward to now and the gun "hobby" has it's whole specific culture from influencers to branded clothing. It still feels taboo sometimes to post a range day pic on a social media platform to me.
View Quote

I have a BFL decal on my water bottle at work. Only those who know have ever said anything. Left it in the gym once, a teacher asked "is that your water bottle with the gear on it?" Me: "Yes....it's a gear, of course. " Her: "Oh, well what is it then?" Me: "Eeeeeh, you either know or you don't."

Then one of the other district maintenance dudes saw it and went "really, CastleBravo?" Me: "sssshhhhhh! "
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:00:44 PM EDT
[#35]
If I don't know you or disagree with your views you'll never know anything about me or my interests.

My friends. Of course know.

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:01:09 PM EDT
[#36]
I talk about guns to both gun people and non-gun people. But I don't wear any gun culture attire (no Magpul cap or Glock Perfection t-shirt here), and I don't put gun bumper stickers on my car.

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:04:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I do not advertise on my truck or house.

But I do wear 2A type stuff and do try to spread the gospel on firearm ownership when asked about it.
View Quote

This

friends, family and co-workers know I own, carry and train with firearms regularly. Then again I’m in Texas and my team’s sister department is filled with hunters and fellow gun nuts. So nobody cares, a few co-workers don’t like it so I don’t talk to them about it.

My goal is to show people that gun owners are normal calm people who just have a fun hobby.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:05:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Covert
View Quote

This.............even with those I know
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:08:32 PM EDT
[#39]
I conceal carry, but I do wear a lot of pro-2A t-shirts.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:08:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Opsec bitches!!!

Keeping a low profile and using a trusted anon vpn is keep to staying off the naughty list
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:09:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Used to be proudly overt.  My '15 Frontier had its back window liberally covered with gun stickers.
Since I retired in '20, though, I've been pretty covert except with friends and family.  No real reason, just seemed to trend that way.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:10:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I’ve got one firearm themed t-shirt….a Palmetto State Armory souvenir from Greenville, SC.

Any firearm stickers go on the inside of a garage cabinet door.

Did get the rep at work for being a gun guy because I worked part time in a gun store.  I didn’t advertise that it’s just that you’d run into your day job coworkers in the gun store.  Was interesting because some coworkers I never imagined would be gun people are hardcore.
View Quote

One of the old science teachers (he doesn't work in my building anymore) was wearing mossy oak one day, so I asked him about hunting. Started telling me about his future hunting trip with his daughters. Asked him if he was using a bow or a rifle. He says "I have a few shotguns, but I don't have anything crazy, like an AR-15." I said "eh, nothing crazy about owning an AR-15." Then his face lit up and we started talking about AR15s."
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 4:47:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Overt. People around here own guns and everyone who knows me knows I own a lot.

I post 20 or more pictures on Facebook every weekend after a range trip. Been doing that for 13 years. And I tend to go a lot, I went 42 times in 2023. Only been about 9 times so far this year thanks to the weather.

I only have about 250 friends on Facebook who can see them, and I know all of them. My friends are mostly relatives, some friends from high school 40 years ago, some current friends, my boss and all of my co-workers, and lots of our clients from work. Oh, some police and quite a few local and state politicians I know, who are all pro-gun.

I think it has worked out well from the amount of people who have went with me due to seeing the pictures, people who ask me about guns and ammo, and even an old friend from as far back as grammar school, who made me a good deal on a Benelli shotgun he was trying to sell.

I don't live in a part of the country where I believe I have to hide it.

Link Posted: 5/1/2024 4:51:31 PM EDT
[#44]
guns are icky and I don't have any.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 4:55:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I know back in the day most people I knew didn't really talk about their hobby with those who weren't also gun guys. Fast forward to now and the gun "hobby" has it's whole specific culture from influencers to branded clothing. It still feels taboo sometimes to post a range day pic on a social media platform to me.
View Quote

I've been outed at work as "the gun guy" which is funny considering.  I wasn't exactly thrilled by it, but so far nothing bad has come of it.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 4:56:53 PM EDT
[#46]
I can think of no situation in which declaring my stance and ownership of 2A is helpful until it's time to be overt and draw my weapon. I guess it would be different if I was being paid for protection or deterrence, but I'm not.

Bumper stickers, tactical clothes, etc. are all just pure ego.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 4:59:32 PM EDT
[#47]
my friends and family are aware of my hobby, including some co-workers that I've known for a long time.  Otherwise I dont mention it.

I have a neighbor that just took a concealed carry course with his wife and they posted it on LinkedIn of all places.  I know neither of them is well-trained.  Meanwhile they have no idea what is the safe next door to them
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 5:01:43 PM EDT
[#48]
If you are left of center, I frame myself as a collector who likes fixing up old military bolt actions (which is true).

If you are closer to my world view, I'll admit to a wider range of firearm interests and a much larger collection
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 5:04:07 PM EDT
[#49]
I share with my known gun buddies.

But I don't advertise my shit to get stolen

Its unfortunate but the guys with the bro-dozers and the half dozen gun stickers on the window are just asking for their trucks to be broken into.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 5:10:55 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top