Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 10
Posted: 4/13/2023 6:57:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CornfieldCong]
I'm about to head out to pickup a preload from National Gypsum in Waukegan IL, run that up to a Menards in WI, and then park it for the weekend.

Stay safe out there drivers.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 8:35:09 AM EDT
[#1]
I just picked up 28 pieces of Sheetrock
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/1/2023 9:00:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Cheetos
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 9:07:11 AM EDT
[#3]
LTL driver so I don't know. The trailers are sealed when I get them.

Unless they're hazmat, I typically have no idea what's in them.

I did have a bit of a milestone the other day. A set of triples that grossed at 118k. Nevada limit is 120k so that's about as heavy as I'll likely see. Holy shit that run was slow going on anything besides a downhill.

My engine brake was screaming.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 9:11:48 AM EDT
[#4]
I converted my 39' 5th wheel camper/toy hauler to Goose neck, so I am taking it on a test run.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 9:47:36 AM EDT
[#5]
The last two days I've hauled crane counter weights from Caper, Wy to Sutherland, NE and from our yard in Denver, Co to Sutherland.

The last run sucked because my truck is heavy (34k bobtail) and two counter weights are 44k. That puts me at 78,000 lbs before you add in the weight of the trailer (about 12k). I had to do some scenic routing because Colorado and Nebraska only allow 80,000lbs GVW on the interstate with a multi piece load. Maxed out my allowable drive time for both days, hit the home yard last night with 17 minutes left on my drive clock, I'm chilling at home now.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 9:48:53 AM EDT
[#6]
I’m hauling my ass to the fridge for some bacon and eggs.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 9:50:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Dirt bike for one of my sons.  The 2500 handled it fine.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 9:58:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Seabee_Mech] [#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JoshInReno:

I did have a bit of a milestone the other day. A set of triples that grossed at 118k. Nevada limit is 120k so that's about as heavy as I'll likely see. Holy shit that run was slow going on anything besides a downhill.

View Quote
The type of truck makes all the difference in the world most OTR trucks are set up for 80k.

118k doesn't even make mine breath hard, around 160k you know you have a load on it and at 230k it's working hard but happy. T-800, 600 hp Cummins (the engine brakes on the big Cummins rock), 18 speed and 4.56 rear ends.

ETA: But with my gearing 70mph is about as fast as she wants to run, it's turning 1730 RPM at 70, 75 mph will put her a hair over 1900 RPM

Link Posted: 4/1/2023 9:59:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Off today. Parked the big girl for the weekend.

Yesterday hauled two loads of dry bulk cement, 26+ tons each, to a regular customer. Ran 508 miles.

Attachment Attached File

2016 KW T800, Detroit 60 Series, 13 speed. Love this truck. No interest in a new truck at all. She’s at 597,000 miles now.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 10:03:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Seabee_Mech:
The type of truck makes all the difference in the world most OTR trucks are set up for 80k.

118k doesn't even make mine breath hard, around 160k you know you have a load on it and at 230k it's working hard but happy. T-800, 600 hp Cummins (the engine brakes on the big Cummins rock), 18 speed and 4.56 rear ends.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

It’s been a decade since I’ve had anything close to 80k, my engine break is just a fun noise maker thing. I was at a red light next to a couple of guys on Harleys that were revving there motors, so I started revving mine with the engine break on, they gave me some dirty looks but their girlfriends thought it was hilarious.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 10:17:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Seabee_Mech] [#11]
Originally Posted By TheWhitePill:

It's been a decade since I've had anything close to 80k, my engine break is just a fun noise maker thing. I was at a red light next to a couple of guys on Harleys that were revving there motors, so I started revving mine with the engine break on, they gave me some dirty looks but their girlfriends thought it was hilarious.
View Quote
Too funny, that's when straight pipes would be fun. We have a older W-900 Tri-Drive with straight pipes, it's loud, the Cat sings when pulling and really snarls when the Jakes cut in but it gets old after a few hours of droning down the highway maxed out at 65 mph.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 10:22:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Too funny, that's when straight pipes would be fun. We have a older W-900 Tri-Drive with a C-18 and straight pipes, it's loud, the C-18 sings when pulling and really snarls when the Jakes cut in but it gets old after a few hours of droning down the highway maxed out at 65 mph.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TheWhitePill:

It's been a decade since I've had anything close to 80k, my engine break is just a fun noise maker thing. I was at a red light next to a couple of guys on Harleys that were revving there motors, so I started revving mine with the engine break on, they gave me some dirty looks but their girlfriends thought it was hilarious.
Too funny, that's when straight pipes would be fun. We have a older W-900 Tri-Drive with a C-18 and straight pipes, it's loud, the C-18 sings when pulling and really snarls when the Jakes cut in but it gets old after a few hours of droning down the highway maxed out at 65 mph.

I’ve been driving long enough that I’m more worried about a comfortable ride and a quiet cab so I can listen to audiobooks or baseball games. I’ve got my routine and anything that disrupts it is annoying.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 12:04:21 PM EDT
[#13]
I was thinking the other day, the absolute worst job a driver could have is hauling fuel to gas stations & convenience stores

Tight lots and idiots in cars

Link Posted: 4/1/2023 1:48:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Either liquid oxygen or liquid nitrogen.  I'll find out which and where to when I get to work.  Last night was oxygen.  Loaded the trailer, made three deliveries and then back to the terminal to preload the trailer for the next guy.   Only about 10 hours and 300 miles last night.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 6:32:15 PM EDT
[#15]

ETA: But with my gearing 70mph is about as fast as she wants to run, it's turning 1730 RPM at 70, 75 mph will put her a hair over 1900 RPM

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/119852/IMG_20210626_181251820-2025459.jpg
View Quote

Damn. My Cascadia would probably die.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 6:40:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CornfieldCong] [#16]
Originally Posted By -MainDisconnect-:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/366627/2C99679B-F40A-4432-9256-B8DABFD64B6B_jpe-2766225.JPG
View Quote

Funnily enough, that's what I was hauling. Just a hair more than 28 pieces though...

Link Posted: 4/1/2023 6:51:31 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm off today but I'm preloaded for Monday.

Attachment Attached File

Deadheading from my last drop in Muskogee, OK to Subaru America in Lafayette, IN.  I get paid loaded and empty.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 8:35:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By CornfieldCong:

Funnily enough, that's what I was hauling. Just a hair more than 28 pieces though...

https://i.imgflip.com/7gq6v7.jpg
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CornfieldCong:
Originally Posted By -MainDisconnect-:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/366627/2C99679B-F40A-4432-9256-B8DABFD64B6B_jpe-2766225.JPG

https://i.imgflip.com/7gq6v7.jpg

I actually picked the Sheetrock up from a Menards in southern Illinois.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 9:15:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Looks like nitrogen tonight.  Less than 250 miles tonight
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 11:30:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By PhuzzyGnu:

I'm off today but I'm preloaded for Monday.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/69748/Screenshot_20230401-174708_png-2766924.JPG

Deadheading from my last drop in Muskogee, OK to Subaru America in Lafayette, IN.  I get paid loaded and empty.
View Quote

Same here. Paid loaded or empty. Taking my 34 in Marshfield, WI. Might be taking on another student in a couple weeks. Which won't be too bad. Double my money.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 11:36:15 PM EDT
[#21]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/119852/IMG_20210626_181251820-2025459.jpg
View Quote

what is your torque set at?  2050?
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 3:57:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Exchanged trailers tonight with a guy from Salt Lake.

A complicated mix of Hazmat. About 35k worth between two trailers and 6 different classes. Two UN numbers for the bulk liquid.

Sloshing the whole way - handled like shit.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 4:25:35 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By MDI:

what is your torque set at?  2050?
View Quote
Dunno, I'd have to ask the mechanic. The truck is a 2015 (299k on the chassis) but it's got a relatively new engine (I just hit 80k on the new motor) after the previous driver blew the old one up running it at 2000+ rpm all the time. It's been deleted too, no DEF for me
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 6:34:41 AM EDT
[#24]
Small stuff, comparatively speaking. Friday's load from scrapyard pickin' was 4 diesel engines, 3 with auto transmissions, on my skid loader trailer pulled with my '03 GMC Duramax pickup. Load was probably 9Kish, trailer is 2.5Kish, plated at 12K, entire rig about 20K. Stock 6.6L Duramax was working a bit on hills but handled it fine. A bit tricky chaining/strapping the load.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 7:01:34 AM EDT
[#25]

A complicated mix of Hazmat. About 35k worth between two trailers and 6 different classes. Two UN numbers for the bulk liquid.

View Quote
I might see you in Carlin... I get there in the midnight hour 5 nights a week
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 7:20:25 AM EDT
[#26]
Only truckin I'm doing is the 5th wheel from central FL to the panhandle.

Link Posted: 4/2/2023 12:51:49 PM EDT
[#27]
It's been deleted too, no DEF for me
View Quote

That’s what I love to hear. FTEPA.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 6:43:03 PM EDT
[#28]
I decided to get a head start on the week so I drove a few hours up the road.

This is when I stopped to kick the tires and hour in.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/2/2023 7:06:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Barrelburner:
View All Quotes

Its possible,  but Carlin isn't a normal run for me.

I typically head west or south. I'll do an occasional run to Carlin for some extra cash.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 4:15:13 AM EDT
[#30]

I typically head west or south. I'll do an occasional run to Carlin for some extra cash.
View All Quotes

It's not a normal run for me either... I'm on our extra board. But I've been filling in for a guy who has been out for the last three or four months
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 5:08:37 AM EDT
[#31]
11k lbs of potato chips
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 6:10:35 AM EDT
[#32]
I'm going to be hauling ass to Sheboygan wiscansin.

I haul a 32' tool trailer and most of the crew to the job site.  
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 6:28:40 AM EDT
[#33]

I decided to get a head start on the week so I drove a few hours up the road.

This is when I stopped to kick the tires and hour in.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/69748/PXL_20230402_194728476-01_jpeg-2768278.JPG
View Quote

Gotta be a real acrobat to load and unload cars!

I stay away from those loads when I'm on the road. I'm sure you guys don't lose too many cars but I've seen some rather wimpy looking tie-downs. Still better than the construction guys with a dog chain over the loader bucket.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 6:45:38 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By diesel1:

I'm sure you guys don't lose too many cars but I've seen some rather wimpy looking tie-downs.
View Quote

We don't lose cars. Four tire straps per car, no exceptions.

Attachment Attached File

(You may recognize this pre-production TRD Pro from various media reviews including Doug Demuro)

Link Posted: 4/3/2023 6:47:07 AM EDT
[#35]
not to hijack the thread but a question to the drivers

when i pass a 18 wheeler in my car, should i run my directional signal for the whole pass?

i always signal when changing lanes to pass and when returning to the right lane after the pass.....

just curious and who better to ask than you all.....

thanks in advance

Link Posted: 4/3/2023 6:52:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Seabee_Mech] [#36]

We don't lose cars. Four tire straps per car, no exceptions.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/69748/PXL_20220128_161041831_jpg-2768790.JPG

(You may recognize this pre-production TRD Pro from various media reviews including Doug Demuro)

View Quote
Woke up to 4" of snow (at 4:30 am) it's not supposed to stop snowing until Tuesday night or Wednesday. It's going to be a fun trip to Nebraska, I'm hauling a crane boom to North Platte if I can get out ahead of the road closures.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 6:53:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Seabee_Mech] [#37]
Originally Posted By yourang:
not to hijack the thread but a question to the drivers

when i pass a 18 wheeler in my car, should i run my directional signal for the whole pass?

i always signal when changing lanes to pass and when returning to the right lane after the pass.....

just curious and who better to ask than you all.....

thanks in advance

View Quote
Not necessary, keep doing it the way you do it now.

ETA: Assuming a divided road. If I'm passing on a non-divided road I leave the turn signal on but that's more to alert oncoming traffic not who I'm passing.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 7:08:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Blackfriar] [#38]
Hauling scrap metal in a straight truck roll off.
Haven't driven class A for about 3 years since I sold out to my business partner. Got tired of life on the road. 12 years in and around the oilfields were enough.
Now I work M-F weekends off with the best type of overtime: as much as I want, but none that I don't.

Usually do around 60 plus hrs a week unless I have something going on on the home front
Company driving ain't that bad
My boss thinks I walk on water with all the hours I put in and I feel like I'm half assing it compared to the hours I used to put in in my oilfield outlaw days.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 7:12:45 AM EDT
[#39]
Thanks, seabee _mech!
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 8:07:32 AM EDT
[#40]
Grabbing a load of insulation today in PA going to VA beach.  I love me some 9k loads.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 8:27:17 AM EDT
[#41]
Woke up to 4" of snow (at 4:30 am) it's not supposed to stop snowing until Tuesday night or Wednesday. It's going to be a fun trip to Nebraska, I'm hauling a crane boom to North Platte if I can get out ahead of the road closures.
View Quote
This is why I laugh every time somebody says they want to move to WY. It's already summer in SFL.
I met a charter 747 Saturday night and dropped off a 45' long crate of aircraft parts. Picking up a man lift and forklift today going to TN. This is from the other day when I loaded up that C130 with aircraft parts. I had to drive around Trump's and thread the needle between a helicopter and the C130.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/3/2023 8:45:22 AM EDT
[#42]
I'm supposed to be running up to Glendive MT for a load of fuel, for delivery to Wright WY. Weather has me sitting though.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 8:58:03 AM EDT
[#43]
I have a question for you guys with normal rigs and weights, not applicable to some of the stuff Seabee Mech hauls

I was curious about the European lorry version of a semi trailer.  They seem to prefer single wheels but more axles on their trailers, does this allow for a heavier load distributed over more ground surface or what's the deal?  I also notice their tires are bigger than what I see on most US trailers.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 9:16:41 AM EDT
[#44]
Woke up to 4" of snow (at 4:30 am) it's not supposed to stop snowing until Tuesday night or Wednesday.
View Quote

Houston is expected to hit 90 this week.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 9:26:29 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By USCG_CPO:
I have a question for you guys with normal rigs and weights, not applicable to some of the stuff Seabee Mech hauls

I was curious about the European lorry version of a semi trailer.  They seem to prefer single wheels but more axles on their trailers, does this allow for a heavier load distributed over more ground surface or what's the deal?  I also notice their tires are bigger than what I see on most US trailers.
View Quote

They run Super Singles a lot more than you see them here in the US.  Still mostly dual wheel here in the States.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 9:39:50 AM EDT
[#46]
I hop on I40 by Flagstaff all the time. I'm noticing more foreign truck drivers now than ever. Is it due to being a lucrative trade with minimal schooling or is it due to foreigners loaning money for rigs to other foreigners..?

I have a friend who does mobile mechanics on broke down big rigs, said he seen a rig with 5 Asians bunked up in there and a hole cut in the floor to crap out of leading to shit spread all on the undercarriage. When he refused to work on it they got angry at him and started turning aggressive.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 10:19:54 AM EDT
[#47]
I have one truck hauling pears today.

I am going to make one or two loads hauling fertilizer and possibly make a run to the lime plant for a load of dolomite.

I may drive 4 trucks a day.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 10:39:28 AM EDT
[#48]
Shake mix for Jack in the Box.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 12:25:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Well, shit! Does anyone have a turbo for a Cummins ISX laying around?

I made it a bit over 100 miles and was just getting out of the worst of the snow just south of Wheatland and my turbo decided to exit stage right.

The shop is sending a pickup and a wrecker to pick me up.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 12:36:25 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By USCG_CPO:

View Quote
The Europeans do axle and bridge weights different than we do in the US. They prefer lots of tires on the ground for lower ground pressure per axle. In the US they want more space between axle groups to spread out the load on each bridge section.

The above is a simplified explanation, it gets way more complicated.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top