User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:11:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Couch-Commando:
Seems like the Southern Atlantic is no place for a NATO member.
View Quote

Why not?  The eastern Mediterranean has long had a NATO member.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:20:18 AM EDT
[#2]

The comment you quoted made me

I have a decent amount of German ancestry on my mom’s side.  I heard the stories from my great grandmother, her grandmother, that our ancestors from that part of the world left because “the Kaiser was mean”, and her daughter, my grandmother, would sometimes mention that her grandmother, so my great great grandmother was able to understand German when she heard it, but not speak it.  

It’s like I see with Russian kids here, all of the young ones speak English with a western American accent, and Russian, but if they have kids, it’s likely many of them will only speak English.  I already came across a Russian woman with two daughters with her American husband, and she didn’t teach Russian to them, so neither speaks it, only English.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:32:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By ArmedKulak:
That's not how North works.
View Quote

Everything is north of the South Pole.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:35:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Lou_Daks:

Greece, Italy, Portugal and Spain aren't in the north Atlantic, either.  The location of member countries doesn't seem to matter anymore.
View Quote

Setting aside that the charter was formed with the explicit intent of future admission European states, you are Spain and Portugal aren't in the North Atlantic?
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:38:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:40:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By R2point0:
So how is that going to work with the Falkland Islands?
View Quote

I don't particularly understand why either party gives a shit about them.  What value are they?
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 12:02:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By DK-Prof:
Some of you guys seem confused about what Argentina is asking for.

They are NOT asking to be a NATO member.  They are asking to be a NATO partner.

Those are completely different things.  NATO membership means you are part of the treaty, can invoke Article 5, and can expect the other NATO nations to defend you if you are attacked.  Partners have no such rights or expectations, and can mean a little as some communication and coordination, or occasional joint training, etc..

From NATO's own page:

Some of the other Partners that already exist (in various different partnership programs within NATO) are:

Pakistan, Colombia, Iraq, Qatar, Kuwait, Egypt, Tunisia, Israel, New Zealand, Azerbaijan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan ... and lots of others

This is not really news, or even particularly interesting.  

View Quote

Good luck trying to educate around here. Although being who you are may help a little more than some random person posting this.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 12:07:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Kuraki:

I don't particularly understand why either party gives a shit about them.  What value are they?
View Quote

Oil and gas. Lots of it.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 12:07:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dagger41] [#9]
Double tap.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 12:11:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By bikedamon:

I recommend it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bikedamon:
Originally Posted By Commando223:
I've always wanted to visit Argentina

I recommend it.

Bariloche looks like an awesome place to spend July and August.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 12:12:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Dagger41:

Oil and gas. Lots of it.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Dagger41:

Oil and gas. Lots of it.

Ah.  In the surrounding waters I suppose.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 12:17:57 PM EDT
[#12]

Ah.  In the surrounding waters I suppose.
View Quote

Yes.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 12:19:40 PM EDT
[#13]
[

What is all this "sweet, sweet NATO cheese" and "mo munny" that you are talking about?  

If Argentina actually WAS applying for full membership (which they are not), it would COST them money, since they would have to vastly increase their military spending to reach NATO goals.  

You are wrong.
View All Quotes
And another thing.  For all the Milei lickers out there - he's the new jefe - don't you think it's a bit odd that the "libertarian" presidente is a bit quick on the trigger to get all that sweet, sweet NATO cheese?

I think he sees where his economy is going and is desperately trying to get mo munny without printing it himself.  He'd rather all the NATO countries print it for him.
[

What is all this "sweet, sweet NATO cheese" and "mo munny" that you are talking about?  

If Argentina actually WAS applying for full membership (which they are not), it would COST them money, since they would have to vastly increase their military spending to reach NATO goals.  

I could be wrong.  But I doubt it.

You are wrong.

One doesn't have to actually spend the money to reach NATO goals, you just have to say you are.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 1:18:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By sjm1582002:
They'd fit right in.

They're not in the North Atlantic and don't field a competent military,

View Quote
They are competent at throwing communists from helicopters, so I think there is some value there.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 1:21:44 PM EDT
[#15]

View Quote
Was national pride. Now oil.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 2:39:33 PM EDT
[#16]
They are competent at throwing communists from helicopters, so I think there is some value there.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sjm1582002:
They'd fit right in.

They're not in the North Atlantic and don't field a competent military,

Their problem was bigger than Chile's. Argentina used airplanes.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 2:47:56 PM EDT
[#17]
View Quote

England says they'll just have to find their own "Fawkin' islands"!
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 3:29:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 3:36:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By HeavyMetal:

They told Chile to hold their beer and went full C-130.
View Quote
I stand corrected.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 3:37:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By wheel:
Hmmm... not sure how to view this. It would add stability to have a member country in that part of the world, but it also could mean they would get some more advanced technology. But apparently they would not be full a member in the sense of defending other NATO allies if I read it right.

"BUENOS AIRES, Argentina (AP)   Argentina formally requested on Thursday to join NATO as a global partner, a status that would clear the way for greater political and security cooperation at a time when the right-wing government of President Javier Milei aims to boost ties with Western powers and attract investment. The request came as NATO's Deputy General Secretary Mircea Geoana held talks in Brussels on regional security challenges with visiting Argentine Defense Minister Luis Petri. Geoana said he welcomed Argentina's bid to become an accredited partner in the alliance   a valued role short of "ally" for nations that are not in NATO's geographical area and not required to take part in collective military actions. NATO membership is currently limited to countries of Europe, Turkey, Canada and the United States."

https://apnews.com/article/president-milei-argentina-nato-f16s-military-bf56ef4b18646438500c921250c66e93

View Quote
South America has been too volatile for too long to allow any of them into something like NATO.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 3:39:45 PM EDT
[#21]
And another thing.  For all the Milei lickers out there - he's the new jefe - don't you think it's a bit odd that the "libertarian" presidente is a bit quick on the trigger to get all that sweet, sweet NATO cheese?

I think he sees where his economy is going and is desperately trying to get mo munny without printing it himself.  He'd rather all the NATO countries print it for him.

I could be wrong.  But I doubt it.
View Quote
...thats not how NATO works... Holy crap...  

Also.. shit talking Milei?  Fucking seriously?
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 3:46:27 PM EDT
[#22]
View Quote

Same way it worked out between Greece and Turkey, I imagine.....although the UK would probably veto it until the Argentines waived their claim to the islands.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 5:49:59 PM EDT
[#23]
View Quote

Admit them. Give them the Falklands. Kick out the UK caliphate.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 5:55:24 PM EDT
[#24]
huh.

worried about the direction Brazil is taking huh?
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top