Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/28/2023 1:04:08 AM EDT
I had no lessons in this throughout K12 and college.

Would like recommendations for books to understand what happened and how.
Link Posted: 1/28/2023 2:04:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Jack67] [#1]
If you have JSTOR access through work/library/alumni, this article will get you the “why/how”

https://www.jstor.org/stable/3600788

He has a full-length, more academic work incorporating that essay called “The Great Game of Genocide.” (Bloxham)

Another more popular book on the subject is “Burning Tigris” (have not read but is more available popular vs academic).

Amb. Henry Morgenthau (our ambassador) wrote a contemporary memoir about it and the dissolution of the Ottoman Empire.  Valuable book, too.  He worked to stop it, NYT covered it heavily as did other major international papers at the time.

I took a comprehensive class on genocide in college; a real downer I assure you.
Link Posted: 1/28/2023 2:05:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Ask a Turk.

One of my close friends is a turk and they call it the Armenian uprising.
Link Posted: 1/28/2023 3:31:46 AM EDT
[#3]
All I know about the Armenian genocide
is that they envy the Jews
because their genocide was bigger.  
Link Posted: 1/28/2023 3:53:28 PM EDT
[#4]
You can get plenty of info from wikipedia, believe it or not...

The reports about Armenians having to buy extra guns, so that there would be something to confiscate, otherwise you'd be beaten, was eye-opening. Talk about a nightmare.
Link Posted: 1/29/2023 2:34:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By tooter:
All I know about the Armenian genocide
is that they envy the Jews
because their genocide was bigger.  
View Quote

It’s not required education like Holocaust is
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 3:57:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: tooter] [#6]
Originally Posted By ReservedRealist2:
It’s not required education like Holocaust is
View Quote

Even though most of my relatives were wiped out, it has nothing to do with me
because it's in the dead past and I'm here and now.
I had absolutely no control over, nor personal responsibility for, whatever happened before I was born.

That's why I can joke about it.
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 3:23:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Jack67:
If you have JSTOR access through work/library/alumni, this article will get you the “why/how”

https://www.jstor.org/stable/3600788

He has a full-length, more academic work incorporating that essay called “The Great Game of Genocide.” (Bloxham)

Another more popular book on the subject is “Burning Tigris” (have not read but is more available popular vs academic).

Amb. Henry Morgenthau (our ambassador) wrote a contemporary memoir about it and the dissolution of the Ottoman Empire.  Valuable book, too.  He worked to stop it, NYT covered it heavily as did other major international papers at the time.

I took a comprehensive class on genocide in college; a real downer I assure you.
View Quote

Thanks, ordered a copy of Burning Tigris
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 3:39:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Dig into and you will see some brutal genocide. Slavery , rape , and wiping out whole villages and leaving them where they fell. There are number of stories of people travelling to some of those villages and still seeing skeletons laying where they fell years and years before.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 9:35:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Unraveling podcast with Darryl Cooper and Jocko have an Armenian genocide episode.  Great primer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top