Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 11
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 9:34:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Bubbatheredneck:
Before GWOT and before Obamacare, the VA was essentially 100% federally funded Medicaid for a subset of poor Americans. Few folks went to the VA in the 80s and 90s if they had other options.
View Quote

What has happened to the cost of medical since then?
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 9:38:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By sakohntr:

Do you mean the same cigarettes that came with C Rations and you deposited in the ashtray of a Huey dashboard?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By exDefensorMilitas:
You should ask the poster here that thinks the VA should cover his potential cancer treatment from smoking while in the service, that he picked up while in the service.

Do you mean the same cigarettes that came with C Rations and you deposited in the ashtray of a Huey dashboard?

Nope.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 9:41:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By NavyDoc1:

Why? The military is very much anti-smoking and tells people not to smoke. Has been that way since the 1970’s.  You continue to smoke in spite of being told it’s unhealthy, how is that on the taxpayer?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By NavyDoc1:
You should ask the poster here that thinks the VA should cover his potential cancer treatment from smoking while in the service, that he picked up while in the service.

Why? The military is very much anti-smoking and tells people not to smoke. Has been that way since the 1970’s.  You continue to smoke in spite of being told it’s unhealthy, how is that on the taxpayer?

Oh I agree with you.

Also you had a multi post argument with the poster in question.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 9:42:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Stan08:

My wife and I are both veterans and she works on the VA campus.  Do you know how many broken vets show up complaining about pain but say, “I never went to sick call because I wasn’t a wimp etc…”

Then they get nothing.  “Not service connected.”

Can’t prove it, can’t pay you.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TaskForce:
Originally Posted By 11boomboom:

I saved every sick-call slip and medical document ever given to me.

When the VA was reviewing my medical conditions, almost all of my claims were service connected because I had the paperwork to back it up.

I tell people, if you're injured, get it documented. You may not need to go to sick-call or on profile, but get it documented because you never know if it'll get worse.

We call them people sick call rangers.

My wife and I are both veterans and she works on the VA campus.  Do you know how many broken vets show up complaining about pain but say, “I never went to sick call because I wasn’t a wimp etc…”

My mom worked in a federal job  part of her job was helping veterans that had problems with benefits. She told every one of my friends that joined to document EVERYTHING and keep copies.
Some guys from Vietnam had obvious wounds that “weren’t service connected” because it wasn’t properly recorded.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 9:44:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Muricha] [#5]
Originally Posted By ramairthree:
I’m not talking about the 100% rated ones, be it legit or sketchy.
I mean in general.

When I was a little kid in the 70s there were a ton of veterans.
Guys in their 50s that had been in WWII.  Korean War vets.  Dudes in their 20s that had been in VN.  And a shit load of draftee and volunteer peacetime types.  Even one or two old timers with pre WWII service.

They would go a couple of hours away for VA care once in a while for stuff from their service time bugging them, like the hip with shrapnel in it, gut problems from when they were shot, getting some new hearing aids, etc.  And on occasion some old guy with no family going off to one of their rest homes.

Now, a benefit of retiring from military service is tricare medical coverage.  And it has copays, caps, etc.
Even then dental and eye are kind of weak.
I’m not talking about retirees.

I mean people that did like 3 years in Germany in the late 70s, or were in for 9 months in 1982 before a general discharge, etc. that weight 300 pounds and have heart failure, diabetes, and dialysis,
Or have severe COPD or lung cancer, or whatever having an expectation of all medical care for life from the VA.
That say stuff like “my only insurance is the VA”, or “I get all my care from the VA”.

Is it urban vs rural, black vs white, north vs south, crushing life vs suck at life, male vs female, …?
A lot of these people are old so it doesn’t just seem young vs old.
Although young seem more prone for working the 100% lottery than old.

I’m not looking for argument or debate.

Just what you have seen or think.

It was very clear when I enlisted in the 80s that lifelong medical care for everything and anything for life was not part of the deal, but others assume it is.

View Quote

Learn to read

You sir are ignorant to the subject.

Myself and many vets do not have medical or any other coverage for serving

The vets that do get care from VA, their Medicare (if available) gets billed from the VA.

Any vet with insurance and VA the VA bills the insurance.

Stop being a Karen and quit presuming.

One recent change as of 2023 is the PACT ACT. It ‘presumes’ if you were on duty at a known chemical toxicity’s location you are allowed into the system.

That’s wonderful because illness from Agent Orange and Burn Pits typically shows up later in life.

Because I know Karen will care, I don’t qualify for that either.

Now go educate ARF on magazines to keep your trolling rolling.

Despicable. 1% serve. One lousy percentage and your panties are rubbing your anus.

I want what he had cause reasons. Our country is burning down and your worried about veterans ‘free’ healthcare.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 9:47:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: greenranger] [#6]
Originally Posted By pdm:

Well….that's great. In my case I had a year as an 11 and then 20 as an 18 in SOF, both traditional SF and another unit. I was an Assaulter for 11 years as well as a breacher. I've been exposed hundreds of close proximity explosive blast waves, within a few feet, and been knocked unconscious multiple times by them. Got so close that I'd cough blood. Flash bangs out the wazoo. I've shot 100's of thousands of rounds from 10.5" bbls, most of them right next to dudes.   Weapons fired would include just about every infantry weapon in the inventory including AT and mortars and lots of them….also tons of Warsaw pact weapons. I have 600+ jumps….200 static and 400 MFF….and so on…you would think that the VA would have a deep understanding of what this type of job entails, wouldn't you? Well they don't or at least they won't admit it.  

BTW, none of the injuries associated with the above were documented other than at the team level.

The premise that if it's not documented it don't happen is absolute bullshit. There have been plenty of studies done on Operator mentality. You're asking men to go do things that there's a high degree of likelihood they'll get fucked up on or not come back from but you're also expecting them to run to sick call?  What fucking planet is the VA on?  Does this nation want meat eaters that gladly go in harm's way to do bad things to evil people or do they want snivelers that go to sick call when they stub their toe?  You can't have both.

Now you look at pro sports….3 or 4 concussions are considered significant with a high degree of likelihood of CTE (TBI). The average assaulter gets 3 or 4 a fucking day…for years and years but the VA doesn't care what medical science says. They find every excuse they can to deny medical care for injuries that are so fucking obvious that only an agency with criminal malice would ignore them.  

In my case it took a Congressional investigation to get my TBI diagnosis resolved. They hid paperwork, "lost" exams and slow rolled and obfuscated for years…and lied about it. They got caught but you know what? No one, and I mean no one, was held accountable. Just business as usual at the VA….slow roll and hope the Vet kills himself. Mine wasn't about money either. I was already at 100% from other injuries. I wanted the TBI noted so that I have access to emerging treatments to combat the dementia that most certainly is coming.

So I had some fun with them, especially when they "lost" an exam. The dude on the phone said there was nothing he could do, sorry. Well I explained that then this was no longer about my disability. This was now about loss of my HIPPA act information. Once I said that there was a pause and then I was told that he's have to get back to me. Magically they found it a few weeks later but then told me it couldn't be used for some reason….anyways that led to Congress.

So you're right the VA doesn't give a fuck. Knowing that SOCOM told the VA fuck you and formed Care Coalition. I spoke to Uncle Bill about that years ago, thanking him for what he did for the command and his response was that Care Coalition was perhaps the proudest accomplishemnt he had while being CDR…he was right.

edit: I almost forgot. Disability benefits aren't approved or denied through the VA. These are handled by the VBA and guess what?  There is no Patient Advocacy or IG in the VBA. None. No accountability though normal channels. Even when my situation was resolved by my Congressman there was no accounatbility.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By pdm:

Well….that's great. In my case I had a year as an 11 and then 20 as an 18 in SOF, both traditional SF and another unit. I was an Assaulter for 11 years as well as a breacher. I've been exposed hundreds of close proximity explosive blast waves, within a few feet, and been knocked unconscious multiple times by them. Got so close that I'd cough blood. Flash bangs out the wazoo. I've shot 100's of thousands of rounds from 10.5" bbls, most of them right next to dudes.   Weapons fired would include just about every infantry weapon in the inventory including AT and mortars and lots of them….also tons of Warsaw pact weapons. I have 600+ jumps….200 static and 400 MFF….and so on…you would think that the VA would have a deep understanding of what this type of job entails, wouldn't you? Well they don't or at least they won't admit it.  

BTW, none of the injuries associated with the above were documented other than at the team level.

The premise that if it's not documented it don't happen is absolute bullshit. There have been plenty of studies done on Operator mentality. You're asking men to go do things that there's a high degree of likelihood they'll get fucked up on or not come back from but you're also expecting them to run to sick call?  What fucking planet is the VA on?  Does this nation want meat eaters that gladly go in harm's way to do bad things to evil people or do they want snivelers that go to sick call when they stub their toe?  You can't have both.

Now you look at pro sports….3 or 4 concussions are considered significant with a high degree of likelihood of CTE (TBI). The average assaulter gets 3 or 4 a fucking day…for years and years but the VA doesn't care what medical science says. They find every excuse they can to deny medical care for injuries that are so fucking obvious that only an agency with criminal malice would ignore them.  

In my case it took a Congressional investigation to get my TBI diagnosis resolved. They hid paperwork, "lost" exams and slow rolled and obfuscated for years…and lied about it. They got caught but you know what? No one, and I mean no one, was held accountable. Just business as usual at the VA….slow roll and hope the Vet kills himself. Mine wasn't about money either. I was already at 100% from other injuries. I wanted the TBI noted so that I have access to emerging treatments to combat the dementia that most certainly is coming.

So I had some fun with them, especially when they "lost" an exam. The dude on the phone said there was nothing he could do, sorry. Well I explained that then this was no longer about my disability. This was now about loss of my HIPPA act information. Once I said that there was a pause and then I was told that he's have to get back to me. Magically they found it a few weeks later but then told me it couldn't be used for some reason….anyways that led to Congress.

So you're right the VA doesn't give a fuck. Knowing that SOCOM told the VA fuck you and formed Care Coalition. I spoke to Uncle Bill about that years ago, thanking him for what he did for the command and his response was that Care Coalition was perhaps the proudest accomplishemnt he had while being CDR…he was right.

edit: I almost forgot. Disability benefits aren't approved or denied through the VA. These are handled by the VBA and guess what?  There is no Patient Advocacy or IG in the VBA. None. No accountability though normal channels. Even when my situation was resolved by my Congressman there was no accounatbility.

See my above post. This is not uncommon.

I have a friend who’s wife died of gulf war syndrome. I don’t give a shit if her entire family gets free medical care for life because of it. Watching her melt way was horrible
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 9:48:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By AbleArcher:

I guess so. I gots the post traumatic down syndrome too. I'm bouts to get paid son.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AbleArcher:
Originally Posted By fender_fella:
when they started making everyone, a "disabled vet"

extra several-thousand a month is pretty sweet

I guess so. I gots the post traumatic down syndrome too. I'm bouts to get paid son.

I got to remember that line Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 9:50:05 AM EDT
[#8]
All of the above.
The entire system is filled with bloat and waste.
Final result will be single payer trash medical care for all.

Watch those carbs gents death is a certainty while much of the suffering is self inflicted.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:00:17 AM EDT
[#9]

Nope.
View All Quotes

Nope.
When did the military stop putting cigarettes in C rations?

The military stopped putting cigarettes in C rations in 1975. This decision was made due to the increasing awareness of the harmful effects of smoking on health.

Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:02:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: CarmelBytheSea] [#10]
Originally Posted By FreefallRet:

The military stopped putting cigarettes in C rations in 1975. This decision was made due to the increasing awareness of the harmful effects of smoking on health.

View Quote

Wasn’t beer included back in the day? My memory is crap these days but I thought Vietnam era servicemen received Ham beers too?

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:09:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By CarmelBytheSea:

Wasn’t beer included back in the day? My memory is crap these days but I thought Vietnam era servicemen received Ham beers too?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/459941/IMG_3225_jpeg-3191100.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/459941/IMG_3224_jpeg-3191101.JPG
View Quote

We got NA beer in 2012 for the Superbowl and 2 alcoholic beers for the Superbowl in 2009.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:11:00 AM EDT
[#12]

We got NA beer in 2012 for the Superbowl and 2 alcoholic beers for the Superbowl in 2009.
View Quote

Our CO got us beer for the Super Bowl then a 1 star popped up and shut the party down - dick move
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:13:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By PGAEMU:
One of my employees who did a few tours in Iraq does not participate in our healthplan because he has Tricare or whatever it is called. His choice, he saves about 200 a month.
View Quote

This is how I roll.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:15:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: uxo2] [#14]
I enlisted in the 80s and was told when I got out.
And was told as long as I was Honorably discharged I am entitled to VA health care.

Thing was.

Someone forgot to tell the VA.

Main reason I believe the older crowd never really used it was because the VA was worse at providing/willing to do it.

Vietnam Veterans lead the way for reform.
They fought tooth and nail for change.

Iraq/Afghanistan vets benefited from Vietnam Vets
earlier battles

As to why Not Service Connected.
Cold War era, never deployed and are receiving benefits.

Because they enlisted and were Honorably Discharged.
They  filed a claim, it was reviewed and approved for
Health Care.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:18:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By uxo2:
I enlisted in the 80s and was told when I got out.
And was told as long as I was Honorably discharged I am entitled to VA health care.

Thing was.

Someone forgot to tell the VA.

Main reason I believe the older crowd never really used it was because the VA was worse at providing/willing to do it.

Vietnam Veterans lead the way for reform.
They fought tooth and nail for change.

Iraq/Afghanistan vets benefited from Vietnam Vets
earlier battles

View Quote
Yep

Vietnam vets got fucked over and got jobs at the VA, some decided they would fix some of the BS and make sure future generations didn't get fucked over.

Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:19:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By TimeOnTarget:

This is how I roll.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TimeOnTarget:
Originally Posted By PGAEMU:
One of my employees who did a few tours in Iraq does not participate in our healthplan because he has Tricare or whatever it is called. His choice, he saves about 200 a month.

This is how I roll.
Same here.

Tricare is under $50 a month, but I have never used it for myself as I use the VA.

Wife and kids use it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:20:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Perhaps the op should be concerned with the US governments never ending trillion dollar give aways to the rest of the world rather than the country taking care of its vets.  

Vets should be the last place this country looks to cut spending.  

That is all.

Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:22:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Just and an FYI: if the veteran carries private health insurance and is service connected, the VA will still bill the insurance provider.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:24:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Bro:
More Veteran hate from the Right...
View Quote

Isn't the right about NOT having the government taking care of you? And not carving out protected groups from such things?

Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:37:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Paul:

But it's really easy to make your annual physical appointment right?

In the Navy if you were dink you'd get heat for it. The medical department aggressively hunts down those that miss their annual appointment. Failure to be at the appointed place-and-time if they really want to resist going to medical.
View Quote

Medical appointment documentation doesnt mean shit when you are blown off and not actually treated for injury.
“You back is killing you? You’re just fat and need to lose weight”…. Only to find out later you actually fractured your back.
Everyone knows the military medical system isnt worth a fuck half the time. I know just as many folks who got fucked up by military doctors as those helped by them.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:40:29 AM EDT
[#21]

Wasn't beer included back in the day? My memory is crap these days but I thought Vietnam era servicemen received Ham beers too?

View Quote
We had beer, just had to be at a SF FOB or at Kabul.

It was against the rules so we couldn't talk about it. Every time we stopped in Kabul we had a connection that could get beer to take back.

Also the TT at BAF if you were nice to the post office ladies or contractors.

Taliban souvenirs could score you all the booze you could carry

Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:42:03 AM EDT
[#22]
I'm split on the current thinking. It's WRONG to mooch off the government, unless you a vet? But it's also WRONG to mooch off the government if your a lowly civilian.

How dare the .gov create protected classes! Well conservatives have created their own protective classes.  Screw business that flaunt "Women Owned Business" and on the other hand, let's create our own! "Veteran owned business" Ha! Hypocritical much?

My current thinking is anything involving government, taxes, and treatment of certain people is so corrupt, I don't care. To the veterans trying to fake 60-100% disabled to get a monthly check... whatever good luck hope you get 100%!

"Taking advantage of" use to be a negative thing. Now it's a "why aren't you taking advantage of" "your benefits"
My Opinion is this: veterans get old too, everyone gets old. A seemingly loud and vocal group of veterans blame their service for any aches and pain felt in old age, everyone else blames getting old.

My father is younger than a guy i know who was in the airborne in the 80's. The paratrooper doesn't care to have insurance. My father has worked for the same company and has had solid insurance for 40+ years. My father has back and knee pain too, he walk down steps backwards some times

Guess who doesn't want someone to pay for new knees and just gets some shots every 6 months. Guess who blames uncle Sam and wants the VA to replace all his joints. Guess who never deployed. The last is a trick question.

I 100% & firmly believe any Veteran who has life long lasting effects to them, through "NO FAULT OF THEIR OWN" the gov should take care of. But some guy sitting as a ATC controller at Raimstein airbase for 4 years, should not have VA for life. The guy breaking his back/legs/hips over hundreds of Para drops should probably be taken care of. Faking hearing loss because you refused ear plugs, during your yearly shooting quality, NO. Being stuck firing a howitzer thousand of times where the ear pro over time does fuck all, yes, and a few scans of the brain.

Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:43:14 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By SuperHeavy:

Isn't the right about NOT having the government taking care of you? And not carving out protected groups from such things?

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SuperHeavy:

Let talk for a moment about this particular 'protected group.'
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:43:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FreefallRet] [#24]
Originally Posted By 2T2_Crash:

Medical appointment documentation doesnt mean shit when you are blown off and not actually treated for injury.
"You back is killing you? You're just fat and need to lose weight" . Only to find out later you actually fractured your back.
Everyone knows the military medical system isnt worth a fuck half the time. I know just as many folks who got fucked up by military doctors as those helped by them.
View Quote
True

However, I get a back x ray when I go in for back issues, the VA found my degenerative disks during my exams before retirement. And got a good rating for it.

Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:44:32 AM EDT
[#25]

It was against the rules so we couldn't talk about it. Every time we stopped in Kabul we had a connection that could get beer to take back.

View Quote

Nice
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:45:22 AM EDT
[#26]

View Quote

Turkish gate guards in Mosul were subject to bribery to go into town and buy Jordanian whisky. It is BY FAR the worst tasting alcohol ever made.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:46:46 AM EDT
[#27]

Nice
View Quote
Good pougie bait is always the best solution to your alcohol needs
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:51:09 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By mooreshawnm:

Turkish gate guards in Mosul were subject to bribery to go into town and buy Jordanian whisky. It is BY FAR the worst tasting alcohol ever made.
View Quote
Yep

Try a case of Heineken that's been in the 100 degree heat. Hide them in a water bottle case in the fridge.

Or if you can find ice make a MRE case trash bag cooler and place under the tent floor. Or ice and beer in SAW or MK19 ammo cans. Ice is always the hardest thing to find though.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:53:37 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Marcbme:
I’ve talked to recent discharges and they’ve all told me “apply for VA benefits” is the standard for out processing even if they never stepped foot out of country
View Quote

You can be injured or get illnesses in country. You know that right?
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 11:05:03 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By BooJangles:
If you get injured on the job, your injury should be taken care of.  Got the betus because you are a fat lazy slob, you should pay your own way then.
View Quote

Like nearly all .gov programs, this is how it started and it was well intentioned.  Through time, bureaucracy, and politics it has morphed into what it is today.  

Cases like legs blown off, hearing damage, etc. are pretty clear cut and nobody would argue about them, but throw in PTSD, sleep apnea, TBI, burn pits, etc. and there is a plausible explanation for nearly every ailment under the sun.  
Nobody wants to say no to a veteran so the VA just goes to congress and tells them how much more money they need.  Congress provides it and the life goes on.  

Same thing as any other portion of the federal budget.  Also the reason the .gov overspends - the bureaucracy is not willing to tell anybody "no".
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 11:06:46 AM EDT
[#31]
Gimme gimmies are everywhere.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 11:07:28 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 11:11:31 AM EDT
[#33]

View All Quotes

Maybe I should claim I became an alcoholic because I could drink when I was stationed in Qatar.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 11:30:04 AM EDT
[#34]
Yep

Try a case of Heineken that's been in the 100 degree heat. Hide them in a water bottle case in the fridge.

Or if you can find ice make a MRE case trash bag cooler and place under the tent floor. Or ice and beer in SAW or MK19 ammo cans. Ice is always the hardest thing to find though.
View Quote

When they started doing the ration card thing at Manas, the beer was skunky as hell and had probably been in a Conex on the flight line for months waiting for approval.  I had my 2 the first night and the next day had the WORST case of the shits I've ever had.

I'm going to blame the skunky beer at Manas for my IBS on my VA claim.  
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 11:33:10 AM EDT
[#35]

View Quote

Winstons, Pall Malls and Camels for everyone.

If the C rats were old enough, Chesterfields and Luckys.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 11:34:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: killstick_engaged] [#36]
View Quote

They want you to get maimed on foreign soil just like the left does , but at least the left wants to take care of you after. no wonder they are losing everywhere, on everything

Link Posted: 4/18/2024 11:40:13 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Gilly:
A former co-worker of mine was medically retired after he broke his back on the obstacle course in basic training.  He had a blue ID card with the rank AB on it.
View Quote

Once upon a time I had a neighbor across the street who had disabled veteran license plates.  We were both on active duty so it seemed odd but whatever.  

Our wives were talking one day and she(neighbor's wife) is telling my wife about how she was in the Navy and is a disabled veteran.  Come to find out later she broke her leg during initial training and got a medical discharge, but she had been in long enough to be eligible for VA benefits(60 or 90 days or something like that).  She ran and rode a road bike like crazy, clearly had no lingering leg issues.  Not sure what her rating was but she milked it to the max.

Link Posted: 4/18/2024 11:46:01 AM EDT
[#38]

In the Navy if you were dink you'd get heat for it. The medical department aggressively hunts down those that miss their annual appointment. Failure to be at the appointed place-and-time if they really want to resist going to medical.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By StevenH:Used to be an MOS chart VA raters used for tinnitus. They’ve moved away from that and now want in service complaints of tinnitus. Which is crazy if you know how hard it is for junior enlisted and NCOs to go to medical in an infantry battalion. I’d wait until I was on leave then go to the base hospital and hand carry the paper records back to my unit after leave and give them to my corpsman.

I never had anything close to an annual physical, but I only served four years and was never at the same unit for longer than 12-months.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 11:47:31 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By StevenH:

Used to be an MOS chart VA raters used for tinnitus. They’ve moved away from that and now want in service complaints of tinnitus. Which is crazy if you know how hard it is for junior enlisted and NCOs to go to medical in an infantry battalion. I’d wait until I was on leave then go to the base hospital and hand carry the paper records back to my unit after leave and give them to my corpsman.
View Quote

Well, going by MOS might seem like a good idea in theory, but in reality, it's not. There are plenty of guys in combat arms MOSs that get stuck in 3-shops, training rooms, and elsewhere, and they get the about the same noise exposure as every other guy that does weapons quals.

Meanwhile, there are guys in POG MOSs that end up in all kinds of weird situations, and this was especially true in GWOT. Some guys lived/worked next to those huge FOB generators, some were a bit too close to IDF impacts, some had close calls with IEDs, and sometimes the good idea fairly strikes. I was once in a staff platoon in which one guy did something dumb, and the S3 SGM decided the entire S2 and S3 shop should spend a week or two sleeping in tents behind a tank range during live gunnery. lol

Originally Posted By 30calTBLkid:

I don't know when you got out, but its not exactly like that the last few years. You're required to have hearing checked once a year. If you don't make time, or if you fail it and don't go back for the follow ups, people are going to be on your ass.
View Quote

Yep. I don't remember what it was called anymore, but we had these readiness reports with a bunch of stuff like medical, dental, vision, hearing, and shots, and each of those things had a traffic light on them. You weren't allowed to have red lights (your 1SG would pull you out of ANYTHING to make you get it fixed), and as you say, hearing was annual, and a lot of this stuff was done directly before and directly after deployments.

For those that don't know, remember the 2009 Ft Hood shooting? That's what Hassan attacked- the pre/post deployment processing site where dudes get hearing tests, shots, and other things before and after deployments.

A GWOT era vet should have a year by year recorded history of their hearing.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 11:50:21 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Edge-To-Life:
Just and an FYI: if the veteran carries private health insurance and is service connected, the VA will still bill the insurance provider.
View Quote

Yep. some insurance will count the unpayed portion towards your annual copayment which is a win/win. My insurance company does not.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 11:52:38 AM EDT
[#41]

Maybe I should claim I became an alcoholic because I could drink when I was stationed in Qatar.
View Quote

You’re self-medicating due to PTSD, anxiety, chronic pain, and headaches due to tinnitus
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 11:55:34 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Morgan321:

Once upon a time I had a neighbor across the street who had disabled veteran license plates.  We were both on active duty so it seemed odd but whatever.  

Our wives were talking one day and she(neighbor's wife) is telling my wife about how she was in the Navy and is a disabled veteran.  Come to find out later she broke her leg during initial training and got a medical discharge, but she had been in long enough to be eligible for VA benefits(60 or 90 days or something like that).  She ran and rode a road bike like crazy, clearly had no lingering leg issues.  Not sure what her rating was but she milked it to the max.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Morgan321:
Originally Posted By Gilly:
A former co-worker of mine was medically retired after he broke his back on the obstacle course in basic training.  He had a blue ID card with the rank AB on it.

Once upon a time, there was an infantry dude in my BN that I met a couple times, but didn't really know. He deployed with us to OIF in 2008. After that deployment, I PCS'd, and he stayed with the unit and deployed to OEF a year later. On that deployment, he got a leg blown off by an IED. He stayed in the Army, he stayed in the infantry, he learned how to walk and run again, and next thing I knew, I was seeing social media posts from buddies about this guy running 5ks, climbing Pikes Peak, and he went back on another deployment to OEF.

Obviously, these two aren't the same, but sometimes you don't know what you don't know.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 11:57:19 AM EDT
[#43]

View Quote

Lucky. I only did one R&R to Qatar when I was deployed to Afghanistan.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 11:58:48 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 12:00:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 12:05:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11boomboom] [#46]

MEDPROS. Now it's tracked online, the soldier can see it too.
View Quote

And everyone needs to complete PHA, for the 6th time this fiscal year, even if they just did it because the CSM doesn't want anyone going AMBER on their MEDPROS status.

"SGT Dildoface, PVT Shitbird is about to go AMBER on Dental. Make sure your whole platoon schedules dental exams. Give me their appointments by COB."
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 12:05:23 PM EDT
[#47]

Every unit hated you that bad? Kidding.
What'd they do, deploy you and then pcs you when you got back so they could duck dwell requirements?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By StevenH:
Originally Posted By StevenH:Used to be an MOS chart VA raters used for tinnitus. They’ve moved away from that and now want in service complaints of tinnitus. Which is crazy if you know how hard it is for junior enlisted and NCOs to go to medical in an infantry battalion. I’d wait until I was on leave then go to the base hospital and hand carry the paper records back to my unit after leave and give them to my corpsman.

I never had anything close to an annual physical, but I only served four years and was never at the same unit for longer than 12-months.

Every unit hated you that bad? Kidding.
What'd they do, deploy you and then pcs you when you got back so they could duck dwell requirements?

I had an uncommon POG job that was in high demand by deploying units. So after a deployment I would immediately PCS to whatever Tank, Artillery or Infantry unit was deploying next.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 12:12:03 PM EDT
[#48]
When I joined in the 80s the military hospital on base cared for all AD and retirees.

Most don’t even care for the dependents anymore. Some can’t even care for the AD members’ needs.

The VA was for old homeless veterans.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 12:16:22 PM EDT
[#49]
They broke it, they're going to pay for keeping it from completely ruining my quality of life.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 12:33:07 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Marcbme:
I’ve talked to recent discharges and they’ve all told me “apply for VA benefits” is the standard for out processing even if they never stepped foot out of country
View Quote

Whether or not you ever set foot out of the country has nothing to do with qualifying for VA benefits.
Page / 11
Top Top