Atlantis (Page 3 of 3)
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 3/17/2024 2:16:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 32ACP] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Dagoth-Ur:

What do you expect to be left after 12-13,000 years?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Dagoth-Ur:
Originally Posted By 32ACP:

“Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof….” Carl Sagan

I get it.  My training is in chemistry.

However, with human civilization/cultures and natural disasters of various planetary scale, like plagues, volcanoes & tsunamis, we will not know to provide data until it’s found, which may be never.  Examples include The Dead Sea Scrolls, Ötzi, The Rosetta Stone, etc.  or, penicillin or thiokol.

Assumptions Atlantis was über-advanced are pointless because we have never found any evidence that past human tech is more advanced than current human tech.

What do you expect to be left after 12-13,000 years?

Ooo! Looky—Top o’ Three & it’s me!

Structures of some sort.  Pottery, properly prepared & fired is quite durable.  Evidence of “advanced metallurgy” mining & processing, since metals are usually from ores in low percents that require processing.  

Again, there are huge limitations: if a significant natural event literally wiped the culture literally off the surface of earth, we will not know until we find it, like the examples I cited.   Laws of Probability often laugh ironically when an unlikely possibility becomes truth.

I think it’s the universe reminding humanity to avoid hubris.

Link Posted: 3/17/2024 2:27:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Wizzy:
Reminiscent of covid & the vax, there's a pervasive mind-control in the world of science, history, and archaeology to deny any free-thinking or examinations of evidence that contradict official narratives.
View Quote

What was it, 30 years ago that one group found 150,000 year old homo sapien bones and the entire scientific community called them bullshit artists. Now we know they were fucking idiots and who knows what other things were lost because “that’s just not possible in my opinion”.

Now we know Homo sapiens and Neanderthals coexisted for thousands of years and even bred together. I think home sapien bones have been dated as far back as 250,000 years at this point.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 2:28:26 PM EDT
[#3]
It's obvious that prehistoric societies existed. It's not hard to imagine that mythology arose after some of those societies collapsed
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 2:31:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By PanzerOfDoom:
Just having a civil discussion on ancient history is fairly extraordinary for GD. It does amaze me that we probably don’t know as much as we actually know.

That contemporary experts continue to discount our recent and distant pasts is rather disturbing.
View Quote

Truth!

I love when “experts” render an “opinion” that is near-accepted until it’s wrong.

The quickest example I can think of while typing was the “cougars/catamounts don’t exist east of the Mississippi…” followed by the dead cougar in CT:

https://www.ctpublic.org/news/2022-08-25/wildlife-biologist-breaks-down-mountain-lion-sightings-in-ct

Which, of course was followed by “explanations” of why they’re “still right…” “not an eastern cat,” etc, which is often techno-babble and….”it’s too technical for your level of understanding….”

Like I said—I am convinced Atlantis was real, “advanced” by comparison to other competitive cultures; but they weren’t as technologically advanced like flying, polymer science, meds/surgery, moving pictures, advanced metallurgy, recorded sounds, etc—maybe, but probably not.  Advanced tech/intellectual property is readily sold or appropriated into/by other cultures once trade routes are established.  The culture wouldn’t be in total isolation, or the myth wouldn’t have been known by other cultures & recorded.

Again, we won’t know until we find it & piece it together, if ever; “chance” is a fickle biotch.

Link Posted: 3/17/2024 2:32:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#5]

Structures of some sort.  Pottery, properly prepared & fired is quite durable.  Evidence of “advanced metallurgy” mining & processing, since metals are usually from ores in low percents that require processing.  

Again, there are huge limitations: if a significant natural event literally wiped the culture literally off the surface of earth, we will not know until we find it, like the examples I cited.   Laws of Probability often laugh ironically when an unlikely possibility becomes truth.

I think it’s the universe reminding humanity to avoid hubris.

View Quote

Without some coincidence of preservation, there is nothing humans make that wouldn’t decompose in 12,000 years. Add massive flooding to the mix and yeah, the earth got rinsed.

I still think the Sahara could tell us a lot if we could scrape away a couple hundred feet of sand. It likely would have been the most populated place on the earth pre-flood.

Gobelki Tepe is one of the oldest structures to exist at around 12,000 years old. The only reason we have it is because someone intentionally buried it.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 2:32:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 32ACP] [#6]
Originally Posted By st0newall:
someday.. in the far far future, people will tell tales of a place called florida that sank into the ocean. it wont sink, it will simply be flooded by all the icecaps melting.
View Quote

Yet the Legend of Floridaman will continue….
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 2:36:07 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm in the " there's probably more we don't know than we do" camp.  So I think it's possible the tales were based on a real place.  I don't believe that place had flying cars or similar technology.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 2:37:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Real place, probably in the Mediterranean, probably stomped by some natural disaster and eventually became myth
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 2:38:55 PM EDT
[#9]

Structures of some sort.  Pottery, properly prepared & fired is quite durable.  Evidence of "advanced metallurgy" mining & processing, since metals are usually from ores in low percents that require processing.  
View Quote
Historically human population centers have clustered at waters edge.  I suspect a lot of what we'd like to find is a couple hundred feet underwater.  And then under potential mudslides or debris fields.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 2:47:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Serious Q: It's been claimed here and elsewhere that Atlantis was an "advanced" society.  What does "advanced" mean?  What did they have?  Lasers in the 40W range?  Or flying cars like in the Jetsons?  Or living in mud huts with just a few less deaths from minor infections?
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 2:48:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By motoguy:
Historically human population centers have clustered at waters edge.  I suspect a lot of what we'd like to find is a couple hundred feet underwater.  And then under potential mudslides or debris fields.
View Quote

True, but it doesn't have to be salt water.  The Tigris & Euphrates are rivers, and they are the "Cradle of Civilization."
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 2:54:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Lou_Daks:
Serious Q: It's been claimed here and elsewhere that Atlantis was an "advanced" society.  What does "advanced" mean?  What did they have?  Lasers in the 40W range?  Or flying cars like in the Jetsons?  Or living in mud huts with just a few less deaths from minor infections?
View Quote

I think it was advanced all right.  By which I mean advanced neolithic, possibly early bronze age civilization with an emphasis on seamanship, navigation and astronomy.  (Or astrology, if you prefer).  They were able to make long sea voyages and build huge stone structures.  Probably understood mathematics very well.  No lasers, no flying cars, no giant glowing crystals.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 2:57:50 PM EDT
[#13]
View Quote

Who knows, but I can tell you this.  The Indus Valley civilization at Harappa and Mohenjo-Daro in India and Pakistan, over 5,000 years ago, had a sewage system, public baths, urban planning, a very modern, egalitarian system of government and extensive trade with most city dwellers being traders and artisans.  5,000 years ago.  Then suddenly, about 4,000 years ago, the cities were abandoned and everyone either died or left and all we have are the ruins.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 3:27:19 PM EDT
[#14]
History holds some truly fascinating nuggets. I was always impressed by Xenophon’s descriptions of the ruins of Nineveh and Nimrud, recorded around 401BCE in Anabasis, and literally laughed out loud by Hesiod’s description of gold digging Thot’s in Works and Days(370) from the 8th century BCE.

You can look at Nimrud with google earth and see where ISIS tried to erase history that’s been with us for so long. The first translation of Hesiod I listened to on a podcast was something like, “don’t be fooled by her chattering banter and wiggling behind, she’s only after your granary.”
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 4:11:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dragynn] [#15]
I think real. Most likely spot IMO is where the Azores are now. Huge earthquake south of there all along the line where the Atlantic plate and the African plate meet, created probably the most massive tsunami in history, which traveled east and wiped out most of North Africa which was probably full of lush vegetation just like the rest of Africa, rolled over it and the Arabian peninsula turning all of it to desert.

The Azores area on the north end are where 3 plates meet, only lightly sideswiped by tsunami but the earthquake ripped it apart and one plate subducted and took most of Atlantis down with it. Seems reasonable and simple as far as explanations go.

I don't believe they had any special technology, but were likely a sea-faring people of great skill.

Have a look at google maps, you can clearly see the plate lines i'm talking about.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 9:38:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Dragynn:
I think real. Most likely spot IMO is where the Azores are now. Huge earthquake south of there all along the line where the Atlantic plate and the African plate meet, created probably the most massive tsunami in history, which traveled east and wiped out most of North Africa which was probably full of lush vegetation just like the rest of Africa, rolled over it and the Arabian peninsula turning all of it to desert.

The Azores area on the north end are where 3 plates meet, only lightly sideswiped by tsunami but the earthquake ripped it apart and one plate subducted and took most of Atlantis down with it. Seems reasonable and simple as far as explanations go.

I don't believe they had any special technology, but were likely a sea-faring people of great skill.

Have a look at google maps, you can clearly see the plate lines i'm talking about.
View Quote

That's what I thought as well. And it's possible. But check out BrightInsight on youtube. I think the Richat is more likely now.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 9:49:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By USMC2111:

The ancient flood stories are now believed to be based on the ice dam separating what is now the Black Sea from the Mediterranean giving way at the end of the last Ice Age.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By USMC2111:
Originally Posted By Kraquine:

A perpetual myth much like the flood of Gilgamesh and others concocted during the metal age.

The ancient flood stories are now believed to be based on the ice dam separating what is now the Black Sea from the Mediterranean giving way at the end of the last Ice Age.

It wasn’t just there, it happened all over the world. The channeled scablands in the north west are another example. The scale of the ice age floods and rapid sea level rise of the end of the ice age make the flood stories of many ancient cultures very believable
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 9:50:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Bellows1:
Real.

I used to think myth until they started finding all of these lost cities around the globe.

Somewhere off the coast of Africa probably.
View Quote

There have been some strange things found…
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 9:53:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By jwliv180:
Not bad. The original series was better and McCabe was really irritating.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 9:56:32 PM EDT
[#20]
The esoteric community largely perceives it as myth. It was pushed as real for quite awhile in the 30’s through the early 2000’s in that community as well as the “New Age” fad that was popular in the 90’s. Many publications spoke on it as if it were real.

There are still some holdouts that compare it to a type of “paradise” or “Eden” type place, but the more serious of that community has agreed it’s more myth than anything else.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 10:00:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Stories of the Richat structure might well have been part of the stories handed down to Plato.  If it existed, the empire of Atlantis might have been on a variety of islands as well as 4 continents.  The British empire wasn't limited to one island, for example.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 10:26:40 PM EDT
[#22]
View Quote

Forget about what we in the 21st century would consider advanced. That is a big error. Think about advanced to the REST of the ancient world.

I am a fan of Graham Hancock. He has sorta/kinda made finding Atlantis his life quest. He is a little out there on a couple things, but he made
some very powerful arguments about a wiped-out advanced civilization existing in the ancient world. We are now accepting the fact that a comet/pieces
of a comet struck along the North American Ice Sheet, causing a world-wide catastrophe 12,500+- years ago, during the Stone Age.

There are a LOT of ancient accounts of catastrophe all over the world, and most of them ALSO mention strangers arriving from the sea, bringing knowledge
with them. Knowledge about farming/agriculture, mathematics, astronomy, etc., etc. Remember we're talking about hunter/gatherers here being the norm.
ANYTHING would be "advanced" to them. What the hell did they know, other than making skin clothes and whacking animals?

Graham Hancock believes, and I tend to agree with him, that there is evidence all over the world that supports an "advanced" Stone Age society. There
are many structures that are probably MUCH older than the accepted dates that were probably designed/started/built by these "strangers."
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 11:21:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Wizzy] [#23]
Originally Posted By @burnprocess:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By @Bellows1:
Real.

I used to think myth until they started finding all of these lost cities around the globe.

Elaborate?
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 1:33:35 PM EDT
[#24]

Elaborate?
View All Quotes
Real.

Elaborate?

Indeed!  Some of the things that have been found are quite elaborate.  Some of them are simple, though.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 1:45:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Real.  I just know it somehow.  
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 2:30:16 PM EDT
[#26]

Elaborate?
View All Quotes
Real.

There have been some strange things found

Elaborate?
The London Hammer
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/18/2024 3:32:41 PM EDT
[#27]
OST for after work
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 3:41:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Really existed, but got hyped into myth over thousands of years of telling and retelling.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 9:39:26 PM EDT
[#29]

Yeah, that's an interesting one. The mainstream view is the rock somehow concreted itself around the hammer, and the wood carbon-dates to 350 years ago.
https://ancient-hebrew.org/ancientman/1002.html
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 5:26:00 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By ka-tetof1:
The esoteric community largely perceives it as myth. It was pushed as real for quite awhile in the 30’s through the early 2000’s in that community as well as the “New Age” fad that was popular in the 90’s. Many publications spoke on it as if it were real.

There are still some holdouts that compare it to a type of “paradise” or “Eden” type place, but the more serious of that community has agreed it’s more myth than anything else.
View Quote

They said the same thing about Troy..Until it was found.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 5:29:34 AM EDT
[#31]
View Quote

Any proof that they all got wiped out and that some didn’t flee into space/hide on Earth?
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Atlantis (Page 3 of 3)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top