Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/25/2024 11:51:00 AM EDT
Yup, as part of affordable housing initiatives. In order to get the AH stipend you MUST join and participate in the farming community. This supposedly is going to cure "food deserts".

How much land this requires per family, (has to be within the city limits)  where they are going to get the experience/equipment/supplies or what happens when you DON'T farm the land is not mentioned.

Speculation is Austin is going to drop around 100 million to get this up and running. No word on continuing costs.

Agrihood.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:52:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Ssssooooooo......... Weed farms by the airport?
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:53:25 AM EDT
[#2]
So more of this?

They should be required to subsist entirely off their agricultural efforts.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:54:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Excellent!   I look forward to seeing the bountiful harvests of Glorious Worker's Food Collective #1.

I assume they're setting up a series of 5-year plans, and will invade Caldwell County by parachute if there's several bad harvests in a row.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:58:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Needs more commissars with small caliber handguns to really get the full Soviet collectivist experience.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:58:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Sounds like slavery to me.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:59:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: John-in-austin] [#6]
Originally Posted By TexasOutdoorsman:
View Quote

That was my first thought, but this is going to be in far northeast Austin, up against Plfugerville.

There is already a "concept" farm, it gives homeless a tiny home and a garden plot big enough to grow a few tomatoes.

I want to know who is going to handle livestock.

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:59:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Hesperus:

Needs more commissars with small caliber handguns to really get the full Soviet collectivist experience.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

And completely unobtainable production goals with...penalties for missing them.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:59:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:59:55 AM EDT
[#9]
They're going to kill all the sparrows next, right?  I think that's how this playbook works.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:59:57 AM EDT
[#10]

View Quote
Nonproductive proles get Sent To Rainey Street (drowned in the lake).
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:00:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By John-in-austin:

That was my first thought, but this is going to be in far northeast Austin, up against Plfugerville.

There is already a "concept" farm, it gives homeless a tiny home and a garden plot big enough to grow a few tomatoes.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TexasOutdoorsman:

Only thing they gonna plant is empty booze bottles
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:00:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Finally, real communism.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:01:08 PM EDT
[#13]
so who will they invade to steal the fruits of their labor when theirs is kaput?

Biden will give them the fruits of another's labor

Commies looking out for each other...fleece their neighbor's plus 10% for the big guy.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:01:24 PM EDT
[#14]

View Quote

American Holodomor on its way?
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:02:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Locals will go there to poop, fertilizing the soil & saving water & streams. The soy they grow will be rich in estrogen.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:04:57 PM EDT
[#16]
So they're going to subsidize living expenses for blacks, in exchange for making them work the land? Are they going to enforce it with whips too?

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:05:20 PM EDT
[#17]

Yes, fertilized with human waste.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:06:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By odiedodi:
So they're going to subsidize living expenses for blacks, in exchange for making them work the land? Are they going to enforce it with whips too?

View Quote

I'm just curious about where the city is going to get the mules and plows.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:08:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Are Pitbulls considered livestock?
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:10:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:15:22 PM EDT
[#21]
I came here expecting photos similar to the gardens at the CHAZ/CHOP during the summer of love 😂
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:16:25 PM EDT
[#22]
A shit-stirrer could start a campaign that they only plant veggies which match the colors on the Palestinian flag

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:16:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Taft:
out of
View Quote

The city council is hiring a bunch of hippies from a California commune as farming consultants.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:17:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Dental floss
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:21:13 PM EDT
[#25]
That only grows in Montana.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:23:17 PM EDT
[#26]
As someone who plants with a push seeder from South Korea, there isn’t a way in hell they’re going to make immigrants and black folks work the government plantation.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:28:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Can we move Austin to Cali and designate a new capital?
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:30:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By InsaneRusher:
Are Pitbulls considered livestock?
View Quote

Of course;

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:32:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Slavery on the Welfare Plantation, it's the Democrat way.  That's what the Democrat's Great Society was all about, minus the silly garden thing.

People of Color will populate the Welfare Plantation and will be bussed into Austin to riot on command.  They will obey their Democrat masters because the pimp hand has no mercy.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:35:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Large corporate farms are the way to go, more efficient than this.  

Soon, someone there will get the idea that a round wheel is better than a square wheel.

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:36:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By atavistic:
Finally, real communism.
View Quote

It will totally work this time.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:38:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:41:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Communist got to communist.

Who votes for shit like that?
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:42:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By d16man:

Pretty much.  The equivalent of equal pay for everyone.  No one gets anything.
View Quote

I've always said I would love for these hard-core lefties to actually have to live under the systems they advocate.

Every commie thinks that comes the revolution, they'll become a state-funded poet or a professor of equality studies. None of them think they're going to spend the rest of their days toiling away in the Glorious People's Coal Mine #17 and eating half-rotten potatoes for dinner.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:45:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Playing around with the numbers here, if you figure you need an acre to feed a family for a year, that's going to require a hell of a lot of VERY expensive real estate inside the city limits.  Hundreds of acres when you take into account crop rotations. (not considering livestock, I can just see what a disaster say, a dairy operation would be)  

A look at Zillow shows a regular house lot in the area is 140K.  Now, I don't think they are going to find that big a property unless they go the Eminent Domain route and steal it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:46:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By mnd:
They're going to kill all the sparrows next, right?  I think that's how this playbook works.
View Quote

The Norks tell their people we eat song birds and eat snow. We should stick to that program.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:46:38 PM EDT
[#37]
So now they want free farm land.

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:47:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Paul:

View Quote

Well not really, they won't own it.  Think sharecropping.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:47:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Welcome to the rice fields, motherf*cker!
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:48:31 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By mnd:
View Quote

Guess the couldn't get the EIRs in time for the backyard smelters...

Damn, Austin used to be a fun town.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:48:35 PM EDT
[#41]
Communist got to communist.

Who votes for shit like that?
View Quote

Immigrants and everyone under the age of 90.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:53:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Playing around with the numbers here, if you figure you need an acre to feed a family for a year, that's going to require a hell of a lot of VERY expensive real estate inside the city limits.  Hundreds of acres when you take into account crop rotations. (not considering livestock, I can just see what a disaster say, a dairy operation would be)  

A look at Zillow shows a regular house lot in the area is 140K.  Now, I don't think they are going to find that big a property unless they go the Eminent Domain route and steal it.
View Quote

You realistically need about four to five very efficiently planned acres to feed a whole family for a year, at minimum. And that’s assuming they know anything about farming and livestock.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:55:31 PM EDT
[#43]

View All Quotes

Make serfdom great again?
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:55:42 PM EDT
[#44]
I for one think that this is a fantastic idea.
It is like on the job training for America's next generation of strawberry pickers.

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:55:46 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By HammerHammer:

You realistically need about four to five very efficiently planned acres to feed a whole family for a year, at minimum. And that’s assuming they know anything about farming and livestock.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By HammerHammer:

I'd always heard the rule of thumb was 1-1.5 acres per adult, but I imagine that includes a shitload of variables concerning crop rotation, loss of some of the crop to weather, insects, and animals, etc.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:59:43 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:02:29 PM EDT
[#47]
My local city council is literally having city staff attend a 'poor school' to help them understand what it's like to be 'economically disadvantaged'.

Can't make this shit up.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:06:25 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By towerofpower94:

I'd always heard the rule of thumb was 1-1.5 acres per adult, but I imagine that includes a shitload of variables concerning crop rotation, loss of some of the crop to weather, insects, and animals, etc.
View Quote

Just so much stuff you can't make without dairy products, and tough to run even a goat or two on an acre.

But if you can subsist on mostly chicken, eggs, and veggies, you can make a hella lot of food down in Texas on even half an acre, the growing season is just sooo long, I used to start planting the cold-tolerant stuff in the last week of January. And in November I was still harvesting tomatoes right up until the first freeze.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:14:23 PM EDT
[#49]
I see marxist leninism is alive and well in America.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:18:06 PM EDT
[#50]
Um, earning your keep isnt slavery.

It's a good concept but will never work for most of the people its aimed at.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top