Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:22:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Dragynn:

Just so much stuff you can't make without dairy products, and tough to run even a goat or two on an acre.

But if you can subsist on mostly chicken, eggs, and veggies, you can make a hella lot of food down in Texas on even half an acre, the growing season is just sooo long, I used to start planting the cold-tolerant stuff in the last week of January. And in November I was still harvesting tomatoes right up until the first freeze.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Dragynn:
Originally Posted By towerofpower94:

I'd always heard the rule of thumb was 1-1.5 acres per adult, but I imagine that includes a shitload of variables concerning crop rotation, loss of some of the crop to weather, insects, and animals, etc.

Just so much stuff you can't make without dairy products, and tough to run even a goat or two on an acre.

But if you can subsist on mostly chicken, eggs, and veggies, you can make a hella lot of food down in Texas on even half an acre, the growing season is just sooo long, I used to start planting the cold-tolerant stuff in the last week of January. And in November I was still harvesting tomatoes right up until the first freeze.

Depending on how big the septic field has to be, I'm hoping to have between a 1.5-3 acre area for crops at the new house. We'll reduce that area if we decide to put in fruit trees, but we'll see what we want to do and how the topography and path of the sun works out once all the trees have leaves on them. Also planning to make a mobile coop for 10-15 chickens, mainly for eggs.

I love digging in the dirt and literally eating the fruits of my labor.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:23:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:30:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:31:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By John-in-austin:
Playing around with the numbers here, if you figure you need an acre to feed a family for a year, that's going to require a hell of a lot of VERY expensive real estate inside the city limits.  Hundreds of acres when you take into account crop rotations. (not considering livestock, I can just see what a disaster say, a dairy operation would be)  

A look at Zillow shows a regular house lot in the area is 140K.  Now, I don't think they are going to find that big a property unless they go the Eminent Domain route and steal it.
View Quote

You’ve made the mistake of thinking this is actually about creating some “sustainable communal utopia.”

For the idiots and suckers they’re looking to draw in, sure, but that’s why they’re idiots and suckers.  Those morons don’t have the first clue about farming or anything remotely close to it, otherwise they’d be pointing out the same problems.

As stated in the OP, the city is looking at sinking $100M into this.  Follow the money.  The people devising these plans and pulling the strings are going to have a lot of that in their pocket by the time it’s all said and done.  In the end?  No significant crops will have been grown nor will any significant quantity of people have been fed.

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:33:14 PM EDT
[#5]
If they plant cotton, the folks can even make clothes.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:39:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By WUPHF:

You’ve made the mistake of thinking this is actually about creating some “sustainable communal utopia.”

For the idiots and suckers they’re looking to draw in, sure, but that’s why they’re idiots and suckers.  Those morons don’t have the first clue about farming or anything remotely close to it, otherwise they’d be pointing out the same problems.

As stated in the OP, the city is looking at sinking $100M into this.  Follow the money.  The people devising these plans and pulling the strings are going to have a lot of that in their pocket by the time it’s all said and done.  In the end?  No significant crops will have been grown nor will any significant quantity of people have been fed.

View Quote

While this five year plan may not have been as much of a success as anticipated, the commissar has declared it successful!

The next five years will be glorious, as it has already been deemed a success!
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:41:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Do they plan on starving too?  I hope so.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:42:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Southernman077:
View Quote
Of course, to be cost effective, they will need "free" labor, that can live in the tiny homes...
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:45:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Yup, as part of affordable housing initiatives. In order to get the AH stipend you MUST join and participate in the farming community. This supposedly is going to cure "food deserts".

How much land this requires per family, (has to be within the city limits)  where they are going to get the experience/equipment/supplies or what happens when you DON'T farm the land is not mentioned.

Speculation is Austin is going to drop around 100 million to get this up and running. No word on continuing costs.

Agrihood.
View Quote

This time they'll finally get Communism right.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:47:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By mnd:
They're going to kill all the sparrows next, right?  I think that's how this playbook works.
View Quote

If they would learn to eat pigeons and rats it could be a win / win.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 2:12:14 PM EDT
[#11]

I'm just curious about where the city is going to get the mules and plows.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By odiedodi:
So they're going to subsidize living expenses for blacks, in exchange for making them work the land? Are they going to enforce it with whips too?

I'm just curious about where the city is going to get the mules and plows.

Your mindset is incorrect here. Imported African slaves had real value to their owners. Working them hard for as long as possible was the priority for the capital outlay.

These neo communists love them some raw Uncle Joe type Stalinism. Quantity over Quality is the name of that game. No power equipment or beasts of burden are wasted here for public works projects. Food, either. That is crazy talk. 100 mile long barge canal sections can be built on very strict production schedules if you have 50,000 expendable souls to work to death. Picks, hammers, shovels and canvas cloth bags can move literal mountains. When one drops dead in a fortnight, just go grab ya two more fresh ones to ensure it'll get done.

Uncle Joe more than proved this sound methodology, over and over. Mao and the Lil Kims followed suit. Free cattle are of less value than purchased chattel.

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 2:18:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By HammerHammer:

You realistically need about four to five very efficiently planned acres to feed a whole family for a year, at minimum. And that’s assuming they know anything about farming and livestock.
View Quote

No. The only thing needed is a 50'x 50' plot for photo ops.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 2:20:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By TheRealBluedog:
Sounds like slavery to me.
View Quote

With extra steps.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 2:24:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Can’t wait fir the return of Lysenkoism, lol!
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 2:26:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tsg68] [#15]
View Quote

The Democrats want their plantation back…

Can we sing spirituals or is that cultural appropriation?
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:14:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Flysc:

No. The only thing needed is a 50'x 50' plot for photo ops.
View Quote

Which i am betting is the most likely outcome.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:33:26 PM EDT
[#17]
So Cambodia again?
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:39:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Is it time to purge 30% of the population yet and enslave/imprison another 40%?
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:03:49 PM EDT
[#19]
That's got old hippie written all over it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:29:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By tsg68:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By tsg68:

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:36:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By 9divdoc:
so who will they invade to steal the fruits of their labor when theirs is kaput?

Biden will give them the fruits of another's labor

Commies looking out for each other...fleece their neighbor's plus 10% for the big guy.
View Quote

It's probably about 17-18% by now.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:37:54 PM EDT
[#22]

View All Quotes
Playing around with the numbers here, if you figure you need an acre to feed a family for a year, that's going to require a hell of a lot of VERY expensive real estate inside the city limits.  Hundreds of acres when you take into account crop rotations. (not considering livestock, I can just see what a disaster say, a dairy operation would be)  

A look at Zillow shows a regular house lot in the area is 140K.  Now, I don't think they are going to find that big a property unless they go the Eminent Domain route and steal it.

There will be a bumper crop of corruption.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:45:02 PM EDT
[#23]
View Quote

They can choose not to participate.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:45:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By odiedodi:
So they're going to subsidize living expenses for blacks, in exchange for making them work the land? Are they going to enforce it with whips too?

View Quote

You’re not real up to date on the ethnic makeup of Austin
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:48:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Man that used to be such a great fucking city.  It had it all. Sad.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:49:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Making them do something to get free shit is better than not making them do anything to get free shit.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:50:55 PM EDT
[#27]
So they are going to be tenant farmers?
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:55:52 PM EDT
[#28]

The city council is hiring a bunch of hippies from a California commune as farming consultants.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Taft:
out of

The city council is hiring a bunch of hippies from a California commune as farming consultants.

When I was with the fire department we ran a call at a local commune.  Turned into a mass casualty event.  Over 10 people went to the hospital with what turned out to be organic phosphate poisoning that they got from picking wild mushrooms and adding them to the salad served at that night’s communal dinner.  
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 6:23:18 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By The_Like_Button:
As someone who plants with a push seeder from South Korea, there isn’t a way in hell they’re going to make immigrants and black folks work the government plantation.
View Quote

Well for the black folk, they're already living in the Democrat's plantation, so is it really such a stretch?  Tell 'em you can vote Democrat at least 10 times, or work in this here collective farm, your choice.  Else we cut off the free shit we've been giving you to keep you dependent.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 6:24:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AA717driver] [#30]

Do you want famine? Cause that’s how you get famine.

ETA: In before real farmers are arrested for being too successful at growing food.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 6:44:33 AM EDT
[#31]
Whose water will they be using?  It gets awful hot in C Texas and vegetable gardens require a ton of water.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:08:29 AM EDT
[#32]
I've run across maybe three community gardens over the years.  Every one consisted of small rectangular plots that were overgrown with weeds.  Not a vegetable was to be found.  It seems people would sometimes plant a few things and then lose interest immediately afterwards.  I believe most even paid a fee to do this.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:40:51 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:42:38 AM EDT
[#34]
It's just another grift for the cash run.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:49:16 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By SmilingBandit:

And completely unobtainable production goals with...penalties for missing them.
View Quote

Don't forget that any food or animals will be confiscated.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:52:01 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By TheLineIsReady:
I've run across maybe three community gardens over the years.  Every one consisted of small rectangular plots that were overgrown with weeds.  Not a vegetable was to be found.  It seems people would sometimes plant a few things and then lose interest immediately afterwards.  I believe most even paid a fee to do this.
View Quote

Locally the school kids plant vegetables and flowers in "pocket" gardens - little 1/8th acre empty lots along main street and 3' diameter planters down the sidewalks.

It's kind of heart warming passing a planter full of giant sunflowers with a sign that says this garden was planted by 9-year old Sussie in Ms. Johnson's class and the next by 8-year old Bobby in Ms. Smith's class. I'm willing to bet the kids have a blast making the down town pretty.

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:06:23 AM EDT
[#37]
A few Round-Up water balloons would cure this most ricky-tick.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:07:45 AM EDT
[#38]
View Quote

500 years ago, slavery was the accepted means of dealing with vagrancy. And it worked a lot better than anything we're doing with them today.

I might hate FDR with a burning passion, but the CCC was universally superior to so many things our government has done in the 21st century.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:14:06 AM EDT
[#39]
You know what cures food deserts?

Civility. Civility cures food deserts.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:19:03 AM EDT
[#40]
Wait till they find out, they do all the work and someone else gets all the food.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:27:46 AM EDT
[#41]
In theory, a wonderful, utopian idea, but human nature has a way of fuck'n EVERYTHING up!😂😂😂😂
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:34:26 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Sully3089:
Whose water will they be using?  It gets awful hot in C Texas and vegetable gardens require a ton of water.
View Quote

It's got what plants crave.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:41:54 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:02:37 AM EDT
[#44]

University of Texas at Austin
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:07:11 AM EDT
[#45]
View Quote

Hemp has more utility.

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:48:09 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Paul:

Locally the school kids plant vegetables and flowers in "pocket" gardens - little 1/8th acre empty lots along main street and 3' diameter planters down the sidewalks.

It's kind of heart warming passing a planter full of giant sunflowers with a sign that says this garden was planted by 9-year old Sussie in Ms. Johnson's class and the next by 8-year old Bobby in Ms. Smith's class. I'm willing to bet the kids have a blast making the down town pretty.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Paul:
Originally Posted By TheLineIsReady:

My daughter's school does something similar. They even collect fruit and veggie food scraps in the cafeteria kitchen for a compost heap on site. It's cool to have the kids digging in the dirt as part of the science class on photosynthesis, the water cycle, etc.

It's not how you'd feed the kids at lunchtime though
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:50:36 AM EDT
[#47]
Anxiously awaiting the Austin famine of 2025
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:51:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: vim] [#48]
GD is offended at this attempt to strip our beloved FSAs of their essential dignity by making them actually work?  And points to the inefficiency of small farming efforts presumably in favor of corporate megafarms?  Interesting.

Just another perspective from behind a coffee mug.

#StirringTheShit
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:02:59 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By vim:
GD is offended at this attempt to strip our beloved FSAs of their essential dignity by making them actually work?  And points to the inefficiency of small farming efforts presumably in favor of corporate megafarms?  Interesting.

Just another perspective from behind a coffee mug.

#StirringTheShit
View Quote

I'm all for making welfare leeches do "something productive" to earn their keep, but this is just a way for the city to push 100mil to some donors/friends/family members.

This has fuck all to do with making the FSA "earn" their FS.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 1:16:25 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Loonytik:
You know what cures food deserts?

Civility. Civility cures food deserts.
View Quote

What, you mean they can't act like savages, shooting the place up, stealing everything not nailed down, and blame business owners who have the audacity to up and leave because they couldn't keep up with the thefts?  The nerve of whitey for not putting up with that rich and vibrant behavior.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top