Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/25/2024 10:17:13 PM EDT
Curious if anybody has installed or can recommend a automated driveway gate setup?

Have a few driveways Id like to secure out in the country. Could trench power to one and other would likely need to be solar
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 11:02:44 PM EDT
[#1]
i initially did a dual gate mighty mule that had the main board go bad and one of the operators getting louder after a year or two.   They wanted $300 + for a replacement board and another couple hundred for the motor .  I knew my setup was hard on them being 16" wide (8 per panel) solid fence pickets so I cant fault them on the motor.    With parts being so high I switched over to Ghost.  Their parts are cheaper and a complete kit was not much more in the long run.   Been up maybe a year and a half and going strong.   Ghost is quieter and faster.   transmitter range is my only real complaint so far
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 1:09:30 PM EDT
[#2]
I installed a lot of mighty mules in the oilfield to control access and keep landowners happy.  They worked well on solar, and moving lightweight gate panels.   Snow accumulating and shitty truck drivers were the main issues.
Be advised the ground loop often installed on the exit side can be tripped by a vehicle, or a shovel dragged over it.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 5:03:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I have helped installing a Door King gate system and noticed Liftmaster gate systems are pretty common.  Systems like these have several inputs, allowing for keypads, card readers, and garage door control devices.  On one side of the gate we buried a loop of wire inside a pvc conduit to detect the presence of a vehicle, then open the gate to let vehicles out.  The opener had an electronic eye that would stop the gate from closing when an object is in it's path.

What type of gate are you going with?  A swing gate or sliding gate?  During the winter the sliding gate at the shooting range I belong to occasionally freezes up.  We have to cycle the power on it to clear the limit sensor.  If the gate detects resistance, it assumes an object is obstructing it.

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 5:35:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By tyromeo55:
i initially did a dual gate mighty mule that had the main board go bad and one of the operators getting louder after a year or two.   They wanted $300 + for a replacement board and another couple hundred for the motor .  I knew my setup was hard on them being 16" wide (8 per panel) solid fence pickets so I cant fault them on the motor.    With parts being so high I switched over to Ghost.  Their parts are cheaper and a complete kit was not much more in the long run.   Been up maybe a year and a half and going strong.   Ghost is quieter and faster.   transmitter range is my only real complaint so far
View Quote

@tyromeo55
Can you take measurements on the ghost?  I have a double gate in a corner of the fence.  The driveway is uphill from that, so the gate needs to open inward.
If I want to have the opener on the inside of the gate, it will need to be pull-to-open, and then fit between the opened gate and the fence.  How much room is required for the ghost control opener doodad mounted on the gate?
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 12:07:22 AM EDT
[#5]
My gates also open inward (i think most do). if Im following your question correctly...    From the back face of the gate you'll need a bare minimum of 6" when opened 90 degrees.  If it needs to travel past 90 degrees i believe you'll need more room.    My disclaimer.  I didnt use the factory manual measurements.   I mocked them up to confirm clearance and ran with it after I was happy
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 12:37:33 AM EDT
[#6]
I've had my Liftmaster Solar for 8 years now. Had to replace the batteries once, otherwise flawless.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 5:16:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By kissfan:
I've had my Liftmaster Solar for 8 years now. Had to replace the batteries once, otherwise flawless.
View Quote

I've heard really good things about those too
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 6:58:07 PM EDT
[#8]
I built my own 16' single gate a work back in 2000, used a GTO pro opener, trenched 500' 110v for it, first opener lasted 20yrs, few years ago I replaced it with another GTO pro.
solar will work fine depending how many times you enter/exit.
bought top of the line keypad and exit wand both still in service since 2000.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 5:14:14 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a Liftmaster that has both the keypad and remotes. It has been problem free for many years. At my old house, I had a mighty mule opener, and it was the exact opposite, more trouble than it was worth.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 9:26:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By mohawk17:
I have a Liftmaster that has both the keypad and remotes. It has been problem free for many years. At my old house, I had a mighty mule opener, and it was the exact opposite, more trouble than it was worth.
View Quote

I'm glad yours works, I absolutely hate our Liftmaster. Seems like every 6 weeks there is some sort of problem, and I have had to replace the batteries several times over 7 years. Now, we do have the magnetic lock, so that might have something to do with the battery draw. The soft limits on the open and closed positions seem to creep over time.

When it works, it works well. It's latest issue is the gate will open and immediately close, so you have to open it twice. No idea why, and it's not every time.

Jason
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top