Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/3/2023 8:22:00 PM EDT
I couldn’t decide so I bought a rectec to go with the two BGE’s I already have.     Masterbuilt electric is going to be for sale it just doesn’t do it for me.
     I sold my big wood smoker. It made some great bbq but I just don’t cook for many people.

The rectec is the smaller Road Warrior 340.  It fits with what I need since it’s only the two of us.  When we have bigger get togethers I can run both setups
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 11:56:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a MAK and a BGE, they both have their role.
Link Posted: 12/4/2023 12:02:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bklyn_Irish] [#2]
My only experience is with Big Green Eggs, and what a great experience it has been.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/4/2023 1:12:20 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a bge and a Yoder.  Probably going to add a black stone to the back porch as well.
Link Posted: 12/4/2023 1:42:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By bondryan:
I have a bge and a Yoder.  Probably going to add a black stone to the back porch as well.
View Quote

A Blackstone is definitely in my future.
Link Posted: 12/4/2023 10:25:17 PM EDT
[#5]
I’ve had my egg for years and use it all the time. The pellet will be used more as a smoker I think .
Link Posted: 12/5/2023 7:18:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By mc556:
I’ve had my egg for years and use it all the time. The pellet will be used more as a smoker I think .
View Quote

Large BGE and a pitboss here. Pitboss gets used for quick cooks if I dont feel like lighting the egg.

I have started doing steaks differently. Smoked on the pellet for about 30 minutes or so, then seared hot on the egg. Best steaks I've ever made.
Link Posted: 12/5/2023 7:40:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Primo
Link Posted: 12/5/2023 8:08:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: giantpune] [#8]
I've had some really good food off some green eggs.  The local dealer hires professional cooks to come in every year.  They line the sidewalk with eggs and cook a bunch of great food and give it away.  Goal is to sell more eggs.

They each have their pros and cons.  Con of the egg is most people are not hard core enough to suffer through babysitting a fire long enough to cook a brisket on one.  They start buying computers with thermometers and fans.  By the time you're done with it, you hope to have some setup that works as well as a rectec does right out of the box.  

As far as searing on a pellet goes, I have the rectec bullseyes and 590s.  They will both get up high enough to sear a steak.  The 590 takes a good 20min to get there, but it'll do it.
Link Posted: 12/5/2023 8:43:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By giantpune:
I've had some really good food off some green eggs.  The local dealer hires professional cooks to come in every year.  They line the sidewalk with eggs and cook a bunch of great food and give it away.  Goal is to sell more eggs.

They each have their pros and cons.  Con of the egg is most people are not hard core enough to suffer through babysitting a fire long enough to cook a brisket on one.  They start buying computers with thermometers and fans.

By the time you're done with it, you hope to have some setup that works as well as a rectec does right out of the box.  

As far as searing on a pellet goes, I have the rectec bullseyes and 590s.  They will both get up high enough to sear a steak.  The 590 takes a good 20min to get there, but it'll do it.
View Quote

They do come in mighty handy.
Link Posted: 12/5/2023 9:08:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Bklyn_Irish:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

They each have their pros and cons.  Con of the egg is most people are not hard core enough to suffer through babysitting a fire long enough to cook a brisket on one.  They start buying computers with thermometers and fans.

By the time you're done with it, you hope to have some setup that works as well as a rectec does right out of the box.  

My stoker on my BGE is quite good at holding temp.
Link Posted: 12/11/2023 12:19:08 PM EDT
[#11]
I just bought a Recteq to compliment my BGE. I'll still use the egg, at least I think I will. My son retired his egg after getting a Traeger, he said it was so easy to set and forget the temp he didn't want to mess with the egg any more.
Link Posted: 12/11/2023 1:09:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By APPARITION:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By APPARITION:

I enjoy the peace of mind of being able to monitor remotely, especially overnight. I use the ThermoWorks Signals.
Link Posted: 12/11/2023 7:23:42 PM EDT
[#13]
t
Originally Posted By TinSpinner:
I just bought a Recteq to compliment my BGE. I'll still use the egg, at least I think I will. My son retired his egg after getting a Traeger, he said it was so easy to set and forget the temp he didn't want to mess with the egg any more.
View Quote

This is why I want one.  I use a WSM but the ease of use on pellet smokers is sooooo appealing.  Maybe next year.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 3:20:16 PM EDT
[#14]
It’s a tough call, I lean a little towards the BGE because I think you can get better smoke flavor out of them. Plus the versatility of doing a low and slow cook and then turning around and having blazing heat to seat a steak. Pellet grills just don’t have that high end heat, but the ease of use makes them attractive.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 3:35:09 PM EDT
[#15]
I bought a pellet pit boss lexington at clearance price,

Pellets don't smoke much,

i made a little hardware cloth basket to put soaked down wood chips in, it puts out a decent smoke.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 3:40:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Ioannem:
Pellet grills just don’t have that high end heat, but the ease of use makes them attractive.
View Quote

Depends which one you get.  The smaller they are, they hotter they can get.  I think about the rectec 590 is the cutoff point.  I'm searing steaks fine on the 590.  It just takes a while to get there.  The smaller bullseye gets hotter and does it faster.  It has a setting called "riot".  No idea how hot that is.  Its definitely hotter than required to reasonably handle steaks, shrimp, burgers, etc.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 9:54:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 10:05:30 AM EDT
[#18]
I have both.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 10:09:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 10:19:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Used to have a BGE and now have 2 pellet grills. Not going back to BGE.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 12:40:37 PM EDT
[#21]
I have a 640 which replaced my  chinateq 700.Recently had notions of a bge but for the money i went with a kamado joe which gave me more features for the money,and less than bge
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top