Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/21/2023 11:16:05 AM EDT
Just got back into homebrewing recently after a 10 year hiatus.  Replaced the lines in my kegerator, cleaned the kegs, and brewed 2 batches (and made an apple cider) to fill them.  My current setup is for extract brewing with specialty grains mashed in bag.  I'd like to step up to all grain and the simplicity of BIAB appeals to me.  Seems like BIAB is the same process that I am already doing (with steeping the bag of specialty grains) on a larger scale.  

I'm torn between getting a 15 gallon brew pot, bag, and propane burner vs an electric all-in-one system with malt tube.  Both are appealing for different reasons.  For ultimate simplicity (which I really like), the bag in a giant pot seems like the way to go.  On the other hand, the all-in-one is more convenient for storage and just plugging into a wall outlet.  Considering the lesser expensive systems like the Brewzilla 3.1.1 or the Anvil Foundry; limited to 110V, so I know that it will be slower than propane.

Any opinions?
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 1:08:44 AM EDT
[#1]
No law says you have to do it all in one big bag.

I think I'd rather split the grains up into a few small bags than one big one.

But yeah, it looks fine.  I've never done an all grain brew.   All I ever did was mini-mash.
Link Posted: 6/27/2023 12:24:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I scored a great deal on a Kegco 15 gallon brewpot, so I'm going propane.  The simplicity and speed won out over the convenience of electricity.  If I had a 240V outlet, I would have gone with an electric all in one, but I think that they are limited at 120V.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 11:15:16 AM EDT
[#3]
I guess it is too late for an electric vote

My current setup is pretty simple with propane kettle and separate cooler mashtun, so it is going to be like yours, just without BIAB.
How are you going to control the mash temp with a stainless propane kettle?
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 2:55:09 AM EDT
[#4]
I bet you could kludge something together like this to thermostatically control a propane burner for a small fraction of the cost

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Rheem-SP20170B-Natural-Gas-Combo-Control-Kit?utm_source=google_ad&utm_medium=shopping_neutral&utm_campaign=Shopping_Neutral_New_users&gclid=CjwKCAjw-vmkBhBMEiwAlrMeF84IOGiSmmajOYGQV8_7zCMb5-Y36MsJtTs8keQJseRLuKv-pf6EmRoCTTAQAvD_BwE
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 11:23:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: frankiebagadonuts] [#5]
I'll wrap the kettle with reflectix or a yoga mat while mashing.  It shouldn't lose but a few of degrees over 30-45 minutes.  With a fine crush, it doesn't need a full hour.  

Even if temp drops more than expected, I'm not going to lose sleep over it.  The beer will still be fine.  I'm pretty laid back when it comes to brewing.  I don't even measure gravity anymore.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top