User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2022 8:59:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OverScoped]
I ran a check on an applicant today.

2 domestics 10 years ago.
6 speeding tickets
3 bankrupts in 20 years
14 federal or state tax liens over 20 years in 3 states.  between $1000 and $15000

would you proceed with an interview, or just disqualify him based on that?

Link Posted: 10/9/2022 9:04:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/9/2022 9:24:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OverScoped] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By medicmandan:
What does your G.L. Code say about the process?

We are required to assign an investigation committee and ballot on the petition.  Petitions cannot be withdrawn once they have had their first reading.  
View Quote
Same as yours.

I'm asking if that is enough to disqualify the guy from becoming a Mason.

Link Posted: 10/9/2022 10:56:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/10/2022 6:34:03 AM EDT
[#4]
I think we're on the same page.  I don't really want some guy that thinks that we might be a safety net for his financial irresponsibilities.
Link Posted: 10/11/2022 2:12:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PSI] [#5]
If it’s not an automatic disqualifier, it would be presented by the investigating committee and then each Brother would decide if a ball or cube should be dropped.

I’d definitely not make him Secretary or Treasurer.
Link Posted: 10/11/2022 6:46:43 PM EDT
[#6]
I'll let you guys know what happens I'm going to talk to the district Deputy first

Link Posted: 10/12/2022 8:44:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Nope.  He's out.  And if your Lodge moves forward you should black ball him.
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 9:20:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By PSI:
If it’s not an automatic disqualifier, it would be presented by the investigating committee and then each Brother would decide if a ball or cube should be dropped.

View Quote

This would be my opinion. Bring the report and the investigation committee report to lodge. Vote.

Not sure what our code says about it. We just started the background investigation deal here in Indiana.
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 6:55:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By RogueShot12er:

This would be my opinion. Bring the report and the investigation committee report to lodge. Vote.

Not sure what our code says about it. We just started the background investigation deal here in Indiana.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Yeah, that’s how we’d handle it here.
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 7:03:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OverScoped] [#10]

View All Quotes
If it's not an automatic disqualifier, it would be presented by the investigating committee and then each Brother would decide if a ball or cube should be dropped.

I'd definitely not make him Secretary or Treasurer.

Yeah..
Last time something like this happened.

I found out he had something like 13 felony arrests for theft, drugs and receiving stolen property.

He got an unfavorable ballot.
I feel it's better to let it be voted on... have the guy get blackbalked. Then the Grand Lodge gets notice..
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 7:06:01 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm gonna interview the guy..
Then let the lodge decide.

Link Posted: 10/12/2022 7:47:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PSI] [#12]
Originally Posted By OverScoped:

Yeah..

I found out he had something like 13 felony arrests for theft, drugs and receiving stolen property.

I feel it's better to let it be voted on... have the guy get blackbalked. Then the Grand Lodge gets notice..
View All Quotes
If it's not an automatic disqualifier, it would be presented by the investigating committee and then each Brother would decide if a ball or cube should be dropped.

Yeah..

Background checks are done by Grand Lodge. Misdemeanors get past through for the lodge to decide. Felonies are an automatic NO GO. It’s a box on the petition. A check mark ends there with no top or second line signers. If the lies and it’s caught, it’s falsifying a petition and he’s done forever, even if expunged.

Link Posted: 10/13/2022 6:32:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: OverScoped] [#13]

Background checks are done by Grand Lodge. Misdemeanors get past through for the lodge to decide. Felonies are an automatic NO GO. It's a box in the petition. A check mark ends there with no top or second line signers. If the lies and it's caught, it's falsifying a petition and he's done forever, even if expunged.

View All Quotes

Yeah..

Background checks are done by Grand Lodge. Misdemeanors get past through for the lodge to decide. Felonies are an automatic NO GO. It's a box in the petition. A check mark ends there with no top or second line signers. If the lies and it's caught, it's falsifying a petition and he's done forever, even if expunged.

Maybe in your state but not here...
I'm not 100% sure about this but what I am 100% sure about is we have a super liberal secretary and he would let anybody in.

If I didn't run these background checks using my own background check thing that I paid for out of my own pocket nobody would ever find out anything...

If I didn't have so many friends at my Lodge I would have transferred somewhere else

So you know out of curiosity I ran some background checks on people and I found one guy went to federal prison and escaped, served years and it's all on his record..
If the Grand Lodge was checking people they would have flagged that...

The person I'm talking about turns out he's a really nice person.... he owns a business with 50 employees at least and he's really good to his church and he's really good to our lodge and he's really good to the community...
But based on his background he shouldn't have gotten in.  

Link Posted: 10/13/2022 6:07:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PSI] [#14]

I'm not 100% sure about this but what I am 100% sure about is we have a super liberal secretary and he would let anybody in.

If I didn't run these background checks using my own background check thing that I paid for out of my own pocket nobody would ever find out anything...

If I didn't have so many friends at my Lodge I would have transferred somewhere else

So you know out of curiosity I ran some background checks on people and I found one guy went to federal prison and escaped, served years and it's all on his record..

The person I'm talking about turns out he's a really nice person.... he owns a business with 50 employees at least and he's really good to his church and he's really good to our lodge and he's really good to the community...

View All Quotes

Yeah..

I meant that’s how it’s done in Wisconsin.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 6:47:25 PM EDT
[#15]

I meant that's how it's done in Wisconsin.
View Quote

Well I thought that was how it was everywhere... then I found out about the way we do things..
Usually right before voting something is said by the secretary to the effect of there's nothing found on the record of so-and-so by the Grand Lodge of Pennsylvania...
Until I got more  involved with the lodge I didn't realize that that doesn't mean anything other than there's nothing on their record books.. meaning he's never been blackballed in another lodge..

Right about that time is when I started getting the background check service. running everybody's name through it. I don't even tell the lodge or offer them the service..I just want to know who's who... then if something comes up like it has in the past then I go ahead and say something to the investigating committee.

And I can't just blackball them because one black ball isn't valid at his state. you have to have three and since you're not allowed to talk about it I can't even tell somebody else...

Link Posted: 11/12/2022 6:19:29 PM EDT
[#16]
The investigating committee doesn't have to give a 'favorable' report. They can give  a 'Not Favorable' report. Also, a member can raise an objection to the WM.
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 6:24:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By WVHunter1s1k:
The investigating committee doesn't have to give a 'favorable' report. They can give  a 'Not Favorable' report. Also, a member can raise an objection to the WM.
View Quote

I've been avoiding all that drama.
I now talk to the district deputy directly, send him the report and then he does the rest.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 9:57:10 AM EDT
[#18]

I'm asking if that is enough to disqualify the guy from becoming a Mason.

View Quote

That would be reported at the same time the investigation committee report was read.
Members would then vote. He would not pass at my Lodge.
Link Posted: 12/26/2022 7:04:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top