Link Posted: 4/11/2024 10:16:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Thank you gentlemen
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 12:37:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Congratulations!!!!
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 3:02:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Congratulations! It doesn't get near the accolades of a hole in one but, in my opinion, is incredibly more impressive.
I've seen 4 HIO in person but never an albatross, yet, hopefully.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 5:29:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By BigPolska:
Albatross today

And it was my first men's night of the season so I had six witnesses

One of my playing partners said I should just call it a season
View Quote

Details, man! Details!

Link Posted: 4/11/2024 5:30:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 9:13:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Congratulations. I usually celebrate my first birdie of the year. LOL
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 9:49:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Tell us the story, how did it happen? What clubs?
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 12:36:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Ok,

Men's night scramble, 3 man teams.

Sun is rapidly sinking, and wind is gusty, typical Kansas 20-30

Par 5, dogleg left up hill, 485ish yards.  Wind is quarter off the left side for the tee shot.

I am the C- player, so I tee up first and get decent contact on one with the g425 and evenflow CB shaft.  The wind helps a bit...and pushes it too  It bounces through the fairway and disappears at the top of the hill.  B- player fades one, and the wind attacks it, stuffing it into the trees.  A- player, who is sore from carrying us most of the round, gets under his drive, it pops up, and the wind delivers it to the trees too.

We head for the trees at the top of the hill to find balls.  I grab a 5 and 6 iron, thinking I would need to punch out a layup stinger.  Basic 40 year old ping eye 2 BeCu with project x rifle shafts.

A- and B- golf balls are eventually found as we hustle with the light getting lower.  B- actually outdrove A-, but we don't know what ball to use since we can't find mine.  After more searching, I find my Titleist DT after a 290 poke in a decent spot.  We have a window in the trees and can see the edge of the green about 200 yards out.

B- drops near my ball and hits a nice iron draw, it fights the wind that is blowing across us and ends up on the mounds guarding the apron on the side of the small green.  It would be a tricky third shot.

B- asks me what I am going to hit.  He recommends a 7 iron.  Two things wrong with that, I have never hit that old ping 7 iron 200 yards, and I sure wasn't going to waste time heading back to the cart for another club

I decide on my 6 iron, and play my ball as it had come to rest.  I am hoping to get us back in the fairway for an easier chip/wedge shot so A- is free to attack the pin.

I would love to tell you about the pure, piercing strike that bored through the twilight sky right into the jar, but instead I have to tell you the truth.  I caught it thin.  About a groove and a half off.  Pretty much bladed it, causing it to take off low.  The cross wind, and a touch of fade shaped this low bullet burner until it was flying down the middle of the fairway.  I was not happy with the strike, but my teammates were excited as it bounced in front of the green a few times and started to roll up onto the dance floor.  Eagle putt!

A- then finished up with a hybrid approach that caught a hair too much breeze and missed the green to the right.  Oh well, at least we are putting.  The other group finished their shots and we headed down the cart path.

I was a little disappointed as we got closer, as I couldn't see my ball.  I guess it was hard to see where it actually stopped, so I assumed it must have kept rolling and we would be chipping B's or my ball.  Out comes the wedges and putter.  B- is confused, because he swore my ball was slowing down near the flag stick.

A- walks past the flag on the way to retrieve his approach and stops.  He looks, shakes his head, and bending down, pulled my ball from the cup.  B- goes into shock, and the other team is in disbelief we just went up 3 shots.

A- then chided the other team for wasting our time with all their putting

On a personal note, those old Titleist DTs were from my Dad's stash.  I inherited them after he passed recently.  I would like to think he was watching, and maybe got me a favorable gust on that old ball as it made its way towards the hole

Thanks for reading and your interest.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 1:25:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 6:17:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Ok,

Par 5, dogleg left up hill, 485ish yards.  Wind is quarter off the left side for the tee shot.

I am the C- player, so I tee up first and get decent contact on one with the g425 and evenflow CB shaft.  The wind helps a bit...and pushes it too  It bounces through the fairway and disappears at the top of the hill.  B- player fades one, and the wind attacks it, stuffing it into the trees.  A- player, who is sore from carrying us most of the round, gets under his drive, it pops up, and the wind delivers it to the trees too.

We head for the trees at the top of the hill to find balls.  I grab a 5 and 6 iron, thinking I would need to punch out a layup stinger.  Basic 40 year old ping eye 2 BeCu with project x rifle shafts.

A- and B- golf balls are eventually found as we hustle with the light getting lower.  B- actually outdrove A-, but we don't know what ball to use since we can't find mine.  After more searching, I find my Titleist DT after a 290 poke in a decent spot.  We have a window in the trees and can see the edge of the green about 200 yards out.

B- drops near my ball and hits a nice iron draw, it fights the wind that is blowing across us and ends up on the mounds guarding the apron on the side of the small green.  It would be a tricky third shot.

B- asks me what I am going to hit.  He recommends a 7 iron.  Two things wrong with that, I have never hit that old ping 7 iron 200 yards, and I sure wasn't going to waste time heading back to the cart for another club

I decide on my 6 iron, and play my ball as it had come to rest.  I am hoping to get us back in the fairway for an easier chip/wedge shot so A- is free to attack the pin.

I would love to tell you about the pure, piercing strike that bored through the twilight sky right into the jar, but instead I have to tell you the truth.  I caught it thin.  About a groove and a half off.  Pretty much bladed it, causing it to take off low.  The cross wind, and a touch of fade shaped this low bullet burner until it was flying down the middle of the fairway.  I was not happy with the strike, but my teammates were excited as it bounced in front of the green a few times and started to roll up onto the dance floor.  Eagle putt!

A- then finished up with a hybrid approach that caught a hair too much breeze and missed the green to the right.  Oh well, at least we are putting.  The other group finished their shots and we headed down the cart path.

I was a little disappointed as we got closer, as I couldn't see my ball.  I guess it was hard to see where it actually stopped, so I assumed it must have kept rolling and we would be chipping B's or my ball.  Out comes the wedges and putter.  B- is confused, because he swore my ball was slowing down near the flag stick.

A- walks past the flag on the way to retrieve his approach and stops.  He looks, shakes his head, and bending down, pulled my ball from the cup.  B- goes into shock, and the other team is in disbelief we just went up 3 shots.

On a personal note, those old Titleist DTs were from my Dad's stash.  I inherited them after he passed recently.  I would like to think he was watching, and maybe got me a favorable gust on that old ball as it made its way towards the hole

View Quote

Nice.

In 23 years I have one ace and one eagle.

I only know one guy personally with an albatross.

Link Posted: 4/12/2024 9:36:37 AM EDT
[#15]
That's awesome
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 10:25:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 10:29:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Excellent story of the shooting!
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 10:34:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Ok,

View Quote

Shots like that are what keeps us on the course, congratulations!

A group of us were playing a new course and one of the guys drove into a firm shallow bunker on a par 5. He hit a rescue wood out of the bunker and holed it from about 250 yards out. None of us thought it went in until we couldn't find his ball anywhere and someone looked in the cup, he never has let us forget about that shot and he has never come close to duplicating it either.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 1:31:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Great story!  Glad you could make some memories with those balls and club.

(200 is at least a 5i for me, and maybe a 4, depending.  Or a bladed sand wedge, lol.)
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 7:30:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Wineraner:
Great story!  Glad you could make some memories with those balls and club.

(200 is at least a 5i for me, and maybe a 4, depending.  Or a bladed sand wedge, lol.)
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 11:09:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Thanks again gentlemen

Hope you all get some birds of your own this weekend, or at least get time to enjoy the Masters
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 11:22:14 PM EDT
[#22]
CONGRATS!!
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 11:36:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Thanks again gentlemen

Hope you all get some birds of your own this weekend, or at least get time to enjoy the Masters
View Quote

I'm playing Sunday. I'll follow a little with the app, but doing is always>watching
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 11:12:58 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 1:08:58 PM EDT
[#25]
That is a terrific story and why golf is such a great game to play with friends.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 7:55:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Ok,

View Quote

Holy shit

So tell us, what'd you do when he raised the ball up ?
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:42:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By The_Beaten_Weiner:

Holy shit

So tell us, what'd you do when he raised the ball up ?
View Quote

It took a few days for it all to sink in and register to be honest.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:15:14 PM EDT
[#28]

It took a few days for it all to sink in and register to be honest.
View Quote

You keep the ball?
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:56:34 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Logcutter:

You keep the ball?
View Quote

Yes sir...  my playing partners were pretty adamant that I retire the albatross ball on the spot.  It went into the wallet pocket in the bag.
Page General » Golf
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top