Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » SCUBA
Site Notices
Posted: 7/12/2023 12:02:59 AM EDT
During the three +/- months we can comfortable get in the MN water I like going snorkeling a couple times a week.  I just tool around rock bars 30-45 minutes looking for lures, etc.  Even so I think I've outgrown the mask I've used for 20 years and the snorkel I got from Walmart.
      What make and model should I be looking at for a new set up to last me the next 20 years?  
Link Posted: 7/12/2023 4:03:37 AM EDT
[#1]
That's a rather personal question, since fit and comfort are so personal.

Any of the bigger brands will have something that suits you, and the newer masks' silicone is a lot better than the silicone masks of the 2000s.

Scubapro
TUSA
Mares
Oceanic

They're probably the biggest, and spend money on actual improvements in frames, fit, or glass on the mask. I just picked up a Scubapro Synergy Mini on a whim, with the fancy glass option, and quite like it. I also have a TUSA Liberator, which IMO is "the standard" of masks.

The big brands tend to run their mask lines a long time, and have spare parts available, so if a clip breaks, you can replace it instead of buying a new mask.
Link Posted: 7/12/2023 4:25:50 AM EDT
[#2]
There is no best. There is only what comfortably fits your face and keeps water out.  Snorkel is a snorkel and needs to not tire your mouth out.
Link Posted: 7/12/2023 6:11:39 AM EDT
[#3]
I really like my EVO Capri for river diving. Great peripheral vision thanks to 4 lens design with purge features.  

As long as the snorkel has the “dry” design , you can’t go wrong. Spend the money. Buy once cry once.

Fins are highly recommended for river snorkeling . Get the open heal strap type . Short to medium length .
Link Posted: 7/12/2023 9:39:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: flcracker] [#4]
Whatever you choose, do not use one of these deathtrap monstrosities unless you intend to remain in shallow water and never dive deeper than 2 - 3 ft.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/12/2023 10:04:01 AM EDT
[#5]
FPNI

Best fit = best mask

If a $29 mask fits you better than a $130 mask, the $29 mask is the best mask.

Go to the scuba shop with the biggest wall of masks you can find and try on all of them.
Link Posted: 7/12/2023 9:19:59 PM EDT
[#6]
For the money and fit. Oceanic shadow or mini depending on your face shape.  
It's soft silicone, comes in black or clear skirt  for more light. And the best part is it comes with a sweet soft strap, no rubber pulling your hair when you peel it off.
Snorkels I like free dive sytle, soft rubber tube no gimmicks.

All that said, go to a dive shop and try em all on.
Link Posted: 7/14/2023 10:11:01 AM EDT
[#7]
I'll be devil's advocate and tell you I've never found a dry snorkel that I actually liked, so I just bought a sub-$20 foldable one to keep in my butt pouch when ocean diving and that's all I have now. They all work the same, the dry ones (IMO) require too much force to clear once you've been underwater a while with them on.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 10:54:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TigerForce] [#8]
Like others have already said, go to a dive shop and try on an assortment of masks. Find the ones that fit your face the best.

I have a TUSA Liberator, and it fits my face perfectly, but that’s just me. It’s also easy to remove the glass lenses for cleaning the seals if it begins to leak. At least with my model, it’s easy to get a set of spare lenses, in case one or both develop a crack.

You might also want to consider the quality of the glass. At least look into this topic. I haven’t shopped for a new mask in 20 years, but supposedly glass quality is one thing that can be overlooked by manufacturers to save money. However, I don’t know how big of an issue this really is. I could be mistaken, and welcome any additional information. Since I am getting older, my next mask will be a prescription mask.

As far as snorkels, begin exhaling with your face facing the surface of the water just before you break the surface. A snorkel without a “dry” valve will be fine.
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 4:25:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Best snorkel is Riffe Stable, absolutely no competition.

Masks, yeah see what works, but if you plan on freediving you might want to look at lower volume freediving/spearfishing masks. Mares, Riffe, Seac, Cressi all make great masks.

Get a black mask, not a light color and definitely not transparent. It makes a huge difference in sight.
Link Posted: 12/5/2023 2:57:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Yea It really depends on preference, Larger high volume mask, or low volume.  I have tried and used alot of different masks for diving and I keep going back to my large volume mask, but its personal preference,   Scuba.com has good prices and carries all the major brands.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 8:31:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Go to a good dive shop try on different mask ask the staff for opinions.

I'd suggest buy a mask that shows up well in water at depth.

Yellow is a good choice.

Why? Because if your mask gets kicked of you or your dive buddy can find it.
Page General » SCUBA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top