Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/17/2024 11:20:29 PM EDT
I need a micrometer to measure some pins/screws/springs/sheet metal/width and depth of machined cuts , not my usual thing and probably not something I'll ever need to use again. I have a cheap Harbor Freight micrometer but not sure it's good enough for this project.

Suggestions/links for a specific micrometer that'll work without being professional-grade-top-of-line-cost for a guy who normally uses 1/8" increments on a worn out Stanley tape measure and doesnt know how to correctly read an analog micrometer ?

Thanks for helping in advance, way out of my lane on this.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 11:24:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Get a competent machinist to measure these parts for you.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 11:29:56 PM EDT
[#2]
If it’s between 0-25mm I have a very nice digital one you can borrow. DM me
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 11:44:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Micrometer or calipers?
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 11:48:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Depth of a machined cut is usually done with something other than the standard micrometer caliper.  A depth micrometer is one such tool.  

A decent set of digital calipers would do what you probably require unless you need to resolve to 0.0001"   Some really good digital calipers can do that, but you will be paying the price.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 12:29:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Fpni
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 12:56:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MouseBoy] [#6]
Mituyoto makes what you need

Cheap choice?  Taiwan made anything
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 3:49:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Autodog:
Get a competent machinist to measure these parts for you.
View Quote

Easier said then done at this point.

Originally Posted By JKrammes:
Micrometer or calipers?
View Quote

I clearly wrote "end user isn't competent" in the title, I dont know the difference.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 7:05:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JKrammes] [#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By NWRed:

Easier said then done at this point.

I clearly wrote "end user isn't competent" in the title, I dont know the difference.
View Quote

A micrometer will measure outside diameter very accurately.  Calipers can measure outside diameter, inside diameter on some things, and depth.  It can be difficult on smaller pieces.  

Micrometer

Digital Mic

Calipers

Ive never used Shars calipers, but they should work for you.  

It might help to see what you want to measure, but to me it sounds like calipers will serve you better.  I have both, and use my calipers alot more than my micrometer.  I use Mitutoyo measuring equipment.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 10:28:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Andr0id] [#9]

A micrometer will measure outside diameter very accurately.  Calipers can measure outside diameter, inside diameter on some things, and depth.  It can be difficult on smaller pieces.  

Micrometer

Digital Mic

Calipers

It might help to see what you want to measure, but to me it sounds like calipers will serve you better.  I have both, and use my calipers alot more than my micrometer.  I use Mitutoyo measuring equipment.
View Quote

The first thing he needs to tell us is what are the target measurements and how close they need to be.

If he doesn't need tens, then digital calipers are likely the way to go.

Link Posted: 1/19/2024 6:10:16 PM EDT
[#10]

Micrometer

Digital Mic

Calipers

View Quote

Originally Posted By Andr0id:

The first thing he needs to tell us is what are the target measurements and how close they need to be.

If he doesn't need tens, then digital calipers are likely the way to go.

View Quote

Digital calipers are what I had in mind, I had the terms backwards.

My project has been postponed so I'll need to dig into how fine with the measurements I need to go to in the mean time.

Thanks to everyone for the input and loan offer, learning as I go which is why I post so much on arfcom asking questions of people who know. I have no idea of what I dont know sometimes

Link Posted: 1/20/2024 1:34:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MethaneMover] [#11]
Insize calipers get some pretty gopd reviews for half the price of Mits.
6" is the normal size, but 8" is the cat's ass.

https://www.maritool.com/Precision-Measuring-Calipers-Digital-Calipers/c97_602_603/p18736/Digital-Caliper-0-8%22/0-200mm/product_info.html
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 11:37:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TGWLDR] [#12]
Originally Posted By MethaneMover:
Insize calipers get some pretty gopd reviews for half the price of Mits.
6" is the normal size, but 8" is the cat's ass.

https://www.maritool.com/Precision-Measuring-Calipers-Digital-Calipers/c97_602_603/p18736/Digital-Caliper-0-8%22/0-200mm/product_info.html
View Quote

Insize is mostly what we use now at the shop I work in, they've been surprisingly GTG. (Micrometers and dial calipers).

Link Posted: 1/21/2024 1:06:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By TGWLDR:

Insize is mostly what we use now at the shop I work in, they've been surprisingly GTG. (Micrometers and dial calipers).

View Quote
My favorite tooling supplier (Maritool) endorses them and, IIRC, they use them in their shop.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top