Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/25/2024 5:27:36 PM EDT
I need to cut a roughly 3” square hole with rounded corners to mount some lights on my truck bumper. I have a template I can trace on to the bumper. There is only about 1/4” of flange on the lights beyond the hole so I need to be careful and not cut it too big.

I have a cutting torch and plasma cutter but the bumper is powder coated and I am not wanting to damage the finish. My first thought was use a 3” hole saw and then a die grinder to cut out the corners but I wasn’t sure if there was a better way.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 5:30:40 PM EDT
[#1]
You could drill the corners first, then 3" whole saw, then just take out what's left with the die grinder.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 5:35:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BobbyHill:
You could drill the corners first, then 3" whole saw, then just take out what's left with the die grinder.
View Quote

I would probably use a hole saw that provides the proper radius in all 4 corners and then make the straight cuts with a cutoff wheel in a grinder.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 6:11:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: M4BlackRifle] [#3]
Drill the four corners with 1/4" - 3/8" drill, and cut from hole to hole.  A few holes in a line lets you make a starting place for a saw.   Sawzall, saber saw, hack saw, 3" air compressor cut-off tool, or whatever else works for you.

Use plenty of tape to protect the finish around the cuts.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 6:47:47 PM EDT
[#4]
That big of a hole saw will not make a nice 3" hole.

As stated, drill each corner and then cut out the middle with a saw.  A Jig Saw with metal cutting blade will be easiest to control and produce less heat.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:15:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jmt1991] [#5]
Since it's such a small hole, you might have to use a jigsaw with a quality metal cutting blade.
Cover the area with masking tape and do the layout on the tape.
Don't forget to paint the cut areas or you'll have corrosion working its way under your nice powder coating.
Post a few pics when you get it done, I'm sure we all would like to see the finished product.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:27:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By number40Fan:
That big of a hole saw will not make a nice 3" hole.

As stated, drill each corner and then cut out the middle with a saw.  A Jig Saw with metal cutting blade will be easiest to control and produce less heat.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:30:53 AM EDT
[#7]
One 3" square hole in 12 ga would not be a bad job for a drill and then hacksaw.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:38:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By M4BlackRifle:
Drill the four corners with 1/4" - 3/8" drill, and cut from hole to hole.  A few holes in a line lets you make a starting place for a saw.   Sawzall, saber saw, hack saw, 3" air compressor cut-off tool, or whatever else works for you.

Use plenty of tape to protect the finish around the cuts.
View Quote

Cut the straights a bit undersize and file to the line
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:53:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Based on the thread title, i was gonna say use a mill.  

That would be way more precise than any of the suggestions.  But i think it may be overkill for the actual question.  Taking off the bumper and mounting it in the mill is a lot of work for some level of precision that isn't really required.

You're looking at using a couple different power tools, by hand.  The cuts aren't gonna line up perfectly or be placed exactly where they need to be.  Come back and clean it all up with a hand file.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 11:59:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Use a plasma arc cutter, then clean it up with a grinding wheel.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 6:56:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: paul463] [#11]
Drill the corners, saw the sides.

FWIW,  a hole saw will cut an acceptable hole if you first use the holesaw to put a hole in a 3/4" thick piece of hardwood and then clamp the wood to your part to use as a guide for the saw.  It tames down the wobblies quite a bit.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:54:06 PM EDT
[#12]
air saw would probably be good here.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 5:13:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MethaneMover] [#13]
Drill the corners and mark a bright line between the holes.  Then use a skinny wheel on the side grinder to plunge in, the larger diameter wheel the better.   The goal is to cut the whole length without moving the grinder, this prevents you from wandering in the cut.

You'll get a straight line very quickly.  May have to touch up the corners.

That said- a plasma torch, a soapstone and a speed square will take you a long ways down this road.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 1:47:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By MethaneMover:
Drill the corners and mark a bright line between the holes.  Then use a skinny wheel on the side grinder to plunge in, the larger diameter wheel the better.   The goal is to cut the whole length without moving the grinder, this prevents you from wandering in the cut.

You'll get a straight line very quickly.  May have to touch up the corners.

That said- a plasma torch, a soapstone and a speed square will take you a long ways down this road.
View Quote

This all day. Also do a test run on some other material. Doesn’t even have to be metal.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top