BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/12/2023 7:39:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dphill]
Just ordered a Gravity FSX 1.0
anyone have one or info on what I just did

Just had a chance to put it together

But in the box with the pedals, reflectors and front quick disconnect axle was this

what is it for
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 1:24:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cooper1] [#1]
Not that one.  I bought a Gravity Trail and ride it quite a bit.  Changed some basic stuff (Tires, grips, pedals).  
My understanding is that they use quality parts, however those parts are a bit outdated.  Seems to work for what I do.

It's been almost 4 decades since I raced BMX, so I'm not really pushing that hard

eta- I would look at upgrading the Suntour fork if you're going to run it hard.
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 4:07:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Those days are over, I'm 58. I gave my Trek 820 to a neighbor kid ten years ago. Blew
a disc in my back and just couldn't ride in any kind of comfort anymore.

My grandson is getting a two wheeler this year so I need something to keep up. I looked
at some of the full suspension bikes at the box stores and well they were total crap.

So the internet lead me to bikedirect and all the reviews were very good. My riding will be
through football fields/parks ect. I just wanted something decent so I can enjoy riding with
the boy. We watch him 5 days a week. My wife said $350 is a spit in the bucket to get us
out of the house
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 10:43:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Good to hear.  I'm happy to have it.  I bought my wife their comfort bike, the Windsor I believe.  They will definitely outlast us.  I started looking right after the whole covid thing started and there was nothing available used.  At my age and with my injuries, I couldn't justify $600 plus.  I do with I had kept my old BMX, todays prices on those give me heartburn.

Best
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 11:42:09 AM EDT
[#4]
After a 20 year hiatus, I just got back into mountain biking and now have 3 boys that wanted to as well. I ordered 3 bikes from them, a Motobecane fantom expert 29 (me), a Gravity HD Trail 27.5 (13 year old) and a Gravity Nugget 24" (10 year old).

Very happy with them all, we did upgrade my fork and the fork on the Nugget.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 4:55:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Once he gets good enough...and I do again, there are some nice groomed gravel trails around here.

Link Posted: 2/21/2023 3:57:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dphill] [#6]
Originally Posted By dphill:
Just ordered a Gravity FSX 1.0
anyone have one or info on what I just did

Just had a chance to put it together
https://i.imgur.com/2z9DRhU.jpg

But in the box with the pedals, reflectors and front quick disconnect axle was this
https://i.imgur.com/R1vKxJj.jpg

what is it for
View Quote

Hummm looks like the fork is backwards

fixed that
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 4:03:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Fork is on backward.

Also the metal piece, to me, looks like a dropout adapter. I'd think you'd have two. If not that maybe a rear derailleur mount?
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 4:04:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Fork is on backwards
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 4:19:44 PM EDT
[#9]
The extra part is a spare rear derailer smash part replacement.
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 4:29:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: chaas67] [#10]
Handle bars are on backwards.

I'm really curious about the pivot point for the rear. Might become more of an articulate pivot at some point.
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 4:34:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Spare part matches the one on the rear derailleur

That's good I was like WTF where does this go

My skinny ass is going to need a better seat
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 4:36:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Get a seat with the center cut out. You won't go numb as fast.
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 4:37:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Spin the handlebars around
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 4:52:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Spare part matches the one on the rear derailleur

That's good I was like WTF where does this go

My skinny ass is going to need a better seat
View Quote

Some manufacturers have the derailer mount built in to the frame/suspension so if you smash the derailer on a rock/log thus bending/breaking the mount you will have a MAJOR repair.
The spare part is designed to be an easily replacement part that saves time and cash.
Its an upgrade you hope you never need.
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 5:02:14 PM EDT
[#15]
I know it’s still on the first page, but that is your rear derailer hanger , carry with you when you ride. If you smash your derailer on a rock, you can replace it.
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 5:43:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By chaas67:

I'm really curious about the pivot point for the rear. Might become more of an articulate pivot at some point.
View Quote

It's adjustable so we'll see, it feels like it will keep from jarring my back
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 5:44:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By BIG-DUKE-6:
I know it’s still on the first page, but that is your rear derailer hanger , carry with you when you ride. If you smash your derailer on a rock, you can replace it.
View Quote

If I smash it on a rock I was doing things I shouldn't have
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 6:08:40 PM EDT
[#18]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

It should do fine for your back. I had a dual suspension MTB back in the mid 90's and after some heavy beating over a couple years the bike would articulate left and right going around corners. Bushings and the gussets just flat wore out.

good times
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 8:00:14 PM EDT
[#19]
It should do fine for your back. I had a dual suspension MTB back in the mid 90's and after some heavy beating over a couple years the bike would articulate left and right going around corners. Bushings and the gussets just flat wore out.

good times
View Quote

Two wheel steering
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 8:11:46 PM EDT
[#20]

View Quote

Just stop dude.

I am a 30 year cyclist and former Cat 3 before I moved to Redneck SC.

Your fork is installed wrong, like two boys fucking and a girl watching wrong.  The fork needs to turn 180, the brace goes to the front.  If you ride it like that, you will potentially crash, most likely crash and more than likely crash.  To add, if you manage to ride it very far like that you will rip the brake from the mounts.  

Please take it to a legit shop and have them do the assembly and fit you to the bike.  They will do it for a fee but it will be worth the money.  Don't get a new saddle, get the bike fitted to your ass first.  

More than likely the brakes are dragging and you will blame it on the bike when it is the tuning that needs to be done to make it correct.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 1:15:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By RattleCanAR:

Just stop dude.

I am a 30 year cyclist and former Cat 3 before I moved to Redneck SC.

Your fork is installed wrong, like two boys fucking and a girl watching wrong.  The fork needs to turn 180, the brace goes to the front.  If you ride it like that, you will potentially crash, most likely crash and more than likely crash.  To add, if you manage to ride it very far like that you will rip the brake from the mounts.  

Please take it to a legit shop and have them do the assembly and fit you to the bike.  They will do it for a fee but it will be worth the money.  Don't get a new saddle, get the bike fitted to your ass first.  

More than likely the brakes are dragging and you will blame it on the bike when it is the tuning that needs to be done to make it correct.
View Quote

I'll be fine. My neighbor across the street worked for Terk for a couple of decades, he tuned my 820 years ago. I'm sure a bottle of jack will more than convince him to give it a once over, teach me how the suspension works. He has a dozen frankentreks, I bike nut if you will. While I will not be blasting down a mountain in Colorado like I was in the early 90s...keeping up with my 4 year old grandson down the sidewalk is the goal
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 11:56:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Nice looking bike !! Congrats on the new ride I am actually looking at getting a fat tire bike from them just trying to decide which one.
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 12:19:24 AM EDT
[#23]
I just came back from local bike store. I got the Giant Cypress 2.  Good health and safe riding to you OP.  Glad my bike was assembled.  No way could I have done it.  Glad ya fixed the forks.  I made sure to buy a helmet.  My buddy simply wipe out smacked his head hard. No helmet cost him about a year of therapy to walk and remember names. It was sad be he fully recovered and was a helmet advocate. Obviously they can't safe ya from a car but a spill could mess you up.

Link Posted: 3/3/2023 11:26:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: coal-cracker] [#24]

If I smash it on a rock I was doing things I shouldn't have
View Quote

Its a mountain bike, and rock gardens are part of mountainbiking. Rocks are the good stuff.
The aluminum derailleur hanger is an engineered fail point, so you dont bend your derailleur cage, or worse, your frame.  Along with a biketool/chainbreaker, tube/pump, and quicklink, the spare hanger goes on every ride in my pack.

Do yourself a favor: As others have mentioned, have someone that really knows what they are doing check out your bike before you ride it.
Wear a helmet. And flip your fork. ;)
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 10:10:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By firemed13:
Nice looking bike !! Congrats on the new ride I am actually looking at getting a fat tire bike from them just trying to decide which one.
View Quote

Borealis has some INSANE deals on their demo bikes right now. These are legit high quality bikes.

https://fatbike.com/pages/demo-models

@firemed13
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 6:54:27 PM EDT
[#26]
The Doctor came over and fixed the bike up
He enjoyed the "The fork is backwards"

Just need to get my "Tant" conditioned
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 10:37:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: -Obsessed-] [#27]
The Doctor came over and fixed the bike up
He enjoyed the "The fork is backwards"
https://i.imgur.com/6aR76D8.jpg
Just need to get my "Tant" conditioned
View Quote

Good luck with that last part.

I went through two dozen saddles, and countless professional fittings in three different bikes.

I had a hopelessly sensitive arse.

Nothing was comfortable past about 20 miles. By 30 I was downright miserable.

I ended up getting a recumbent. Now it's like riding around on a recliner.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 2:11:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Spring is here it was 60* this morning. Went for a 5-6 mile ride and it
wasn't too bad. We will see when I go out again tomorrow. I have the
suspension as cushy as it gets, soaked up the bumps nicely. He tilted
the front of the saddle up a bit so it keeps my boney ass back on the
seat. I was more worried about a mishap than anything else
Never came off the front big sprocket once I got going. Cursed at a couple cars,
that's what you're supposed to do right?
Link Posted: 7/21/2023 1:20:28 PM EDT
[#29]
I got my kid a gravity 24.
The rear derailer hanger was bent and the cage was rubbing the chain on the inside of the idler pulley. I bent it back.

It's an OK bike for a 10 year old, it should last a year or two.

I could have gotten a used specialized hotrock 7 speed from the local bike shop. I probably should have gotten the used specialized instead.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top