Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 5/17/2024 6:35:57 PM EDT
Five years after Amazon raised wages to $15 an hour, half of warehouse workers surveyed by researchers say they struggle to afford enough food or a place to live.

The national study, published Wednesday by the University of Illinois Chicago's Center for Urban Economic Development, asked US employees about their economic wellbeing, including whether they'd skipped meals, went hungry, or were worried about being able to make rent or mortgage payments.

Fifty-three percent of respondents reported that they'd experienced one or more forms of food insecurity in the prior three months, and 48% experienced one or more forms of housing insecurity. Workers who said they took unpaid time off after getting hurt on the job were more likely to report trouble paying their bills, the researchers found.

"It's not necessarily that Amazon's an outlier," said Sanjay Pinto, who co-authored the study with Beth Gutelius. Still, "they're certainly not taking the lead in creating family-sustaining jobs."

In an emailed statement, Amazon spokesperson Steve Kelly called the researchers' methodology "deeply flawed" and said the company had tried to raise its concerns with the study's authors but never heard back.

"It's a survey that ignores best practices for surveying, has limited verification safeguards to confirm respondents are Amazon employees, and doesn't prevent multiple responses from the same person," he said. Kelly added that Amazon has increased average pay to $20.50 an hour and provides a range of benefits, including health care, dental, 401(k) and pre-paid tuition.

Amazon has long been criticized for its treatment of employees, especially those who pack and ship boxes in its warehouses. Much of the criticism has focused on injuries that have exceeded the rate of logistics industry peers. Amazon has pledged to make its warehouses safer, in part by automating aspects of the job that require repetitive motions. Pinto and Gutelius examined injuries among Amazon's ranks in a report published in October before turning their focus to workers' economic circumstances.

View Quote

cot dayum millennials
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 6:42:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Long as they get my packages to me on time, fuck em.
Let em cry.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 6:43:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Amazon is a meat grinder.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 6:43:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DragoMuseveni] [#3]
16 tons Stotch ~Amazon Fulfillment Center ~South Park 2018 [LYRICS]

Link Posted: 5/17/2024 6:44:41 PM EDT
[#4]
I haven't eaten all day

Link Posted: 5/17/2024 6:46:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Chokey] [#5]

learn a skill and get a better job.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 6:46:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ranging-by-zipcode:
I haven't eaten all day

View Quote
#metoo
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 6:46:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Putting Chinese crap in boxes is supposed to be a "family sustaining job"?
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 6:47:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Damn these drinks are good
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 6:49:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By rtlm:
Let em cry.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 6:58:41 PM EDT
[#10]
I think some members here used to work in the warehouses of Amazon and had some lovely stories to tell. Strip searched everyday leaving work sure seems worth it 🤪.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 7:01:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quit & go work for UPS?
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 7:02:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BigBurkeyBoy] [#12]
Originally Posted By Terriblis:
View Quote

It's not about whether it is or it isn't, it's about what happens to your country and your society when you balloon the number of people who cannot sustain traditional human baseline needs (food, shelter, having a family and reproducing) due to economic factors that favor an increasingly small subset of society.

I want our country to produce more babies (no, grandpa, importing turd-worlders is not an answer) and have a standard of living that allows for functional families (present fathers who don't have to work 60+ hrs a week, mothers who can afford to stay home instead of cucking their families by working for a man besides their husband, etc)

This is really highlighting a split between the old right and the new right. The new right realizes that the free market is great and all, but if it becomes detrimental to the baseline needs of society (preservation of culture, family, good morals- consider the things you typically fight invading armies in order to protect) then it needs to have its leash shortened.

The old right sees unfettered capitalism as a hard line in the sand, and if families cannot survive the free market, then perhaps the idea of family itself as an institution must be sacrificed and thrown into the hot fire at the feet of the bronze bull of the market.

I personally think that's fucking insane and we ought to try and ensure that all Americans can enjoy a certain baseline standard of living that allows for the millenia-proven bedrock institutions of society to function. The mechanisms of that in many cases may be more free market economics and less govt intervention, but the idea must still be, in every instance, to put the cart behind the horse, and never the other way around just because we read a lot of Ayn Rand.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 7:08:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Amazons  live 10 to a house.. of course they can afford rent.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 7:08:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By BigBurkeyBoy:

It's not about whether it is or it isn't, it's about what happens to your country and your society when you balloon the number of people who cannot sustain traditional human baseline needs (food, shelter, having a family and reproducing) due to economic factors that favor an increasingly small subset of society.

I want our country to produce more babies (no, grandpa, importing turd-worlders is not an answer) and have a standard of living that allows for functional families (present fathers who don't have to work 60+ hrs a week, mothers who can afford to stay home instead of cucking their families by working for a man besides their husband, etc)

This is really highlighting a split between the old right and the new right. The new right realizes that the free market is great and all, but if it becomes detrimental to the baseline needs of society (preservation of culture, family, good morals) then it needs to have its leash shortened.

The old right sees unfettered capitalism as a hard line in the sand, and if families cannot survive the free market, then perhaps the idea of family itself as an institution must be sacrificed and thrown into the hot fire at the feet of the bronze bull of the market.

I personally think that's fucking insane and we ought to try and ensure that all Americans can enjoy a certain baseline standard of living that allows for the millenia-proven bedrock institutions of society to function. The mechanisms of that in many cases may be more free market economics and less govt intervention, but the idea must still be, in every instance, to put the cart behind the horse, and never the other way around just because we read a lot of Ayn Rand.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Terriblis:

This is really highlighting a split between the old right and the new right. The new right realizes that the free market is great and all, but if it becomes detrimental to the baseline needs of society (preservation of culture, family, good morals) then it needs to have its leash shortened.

I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 7:35:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Did they report this on their $1000 plus, phones?
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 7:42:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Good news. The MF they voted for imported millions of turd world workers who would just love to have your job.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 7:44:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Not all jobs will support a family commies
Go get a skill before robots replace you
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 7:46:55 PM EDT
[#18]

View Quote

I think pushing for policies that create a more educated workforce and more high paying jobs is admirable. Trying to force jobs to pay more than they’re worth will only end in a vicious downward spiral.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 7:48:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Stfu things are tough all over

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/17/2024 7:50:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By dirtyboy:
View Quote
Why do people always say this

Most people buy the $500-600 phone and make $10-15 a month payments.

Most expensive phone was my sons iPhone 14 for $600.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 8:01:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By RamaSita:
View Quote

When you've replaced all the low skill dregs of society with robots, what happens when you need to fight a war?

What happens when you're fighting that war against a society that put its people above its market?

When your population has imploded because your birthrate plummeted below replacement rates 50 years ago because none of those "low skill workers" could afford children, so they just didn't have any?

When you can't draft anyone because your country has no cultural homogeneity because your leaders answers to the aforementioned problem was to import millions of foreigners that clash with the native born population that see them as a threat for increasingly scarce jobs that aren't automated now?

You're thinking this is a game of "fuck the lazy blue hairs" when in reality this is much bigger than that. This is about the survival of civilizations. If we don't play our cards right, we will come out of this century absolutely fucking dominated by China, and China won't give a fuck about anyone except the Chinese. Because that's how countries are supposed to work. It's about time ours started acting like it.

Darwinism doesn't just apply to your countrymen, it applies to the whole of your society en masse as well. If you get too eager to fuck them on your way to the top, you're going to be left with a mound of cripples with which to fight your larger enemies. At a certain point your own self preservation ought to motivate you to care about them in some sense.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 8:01:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By FreefallRet:

Most expensive phone was my son's iPhone 14 for $600.
View All Quotes

Most expensive phone was my son's iPhone 14 for $600.
Because "Der Boomer"
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 8:07:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Stlrain0341:

I think pushing for policies that create a more educated workforce and more high paying jobs is admirable. Trying to force jobs to pay more than they’re worth will only end in a vicious downward spiral.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Stlrain0341:

You can't force people to pay more than the labor is worth. But you can do things that stop depressing wages such as creating policies that incentivize women to remain home as mothers, deport illegals and enforce our border, end unfair DEI hiring practices, etc

All of that restores the supply of labor to what it should truly be, and therefore wages will rise naturally as the market adjusts to the corresponding decrease of supply. Economics 101.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 8:08:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Think the people shitting on the people who work warehouse jobs, whether it be Amazon or any other company, should go try their hand at it and tell us how it works out insteadof saying get a better job. Having personally worked a warehouse job where we had no A/C, so it was over 120 degrees inside during the summer at night and cold as hell during winter, I've seen plenty of people who couldn't make it who thought it would be easy work. You're expected to hit so many lines per hour, can't hit it that number your let go without a care. Want to take a break, they monitor you to see how long you take and if you take a minute longer than your break is suppose to be they'll use it as a reason to let you go. If your average arfcommer was to work in a warehouse, be surprised if they made it a week without quitting and saying they weren't being paid enough for what was expected.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 8:09:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Let em cry.
View Quote

They can't even do that right. 2-day shipping is 8-days for me. I recently tried paying extra for 1-day shipping, and that item got lost in shipping after 4 days.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 8:11:07 PM EDT
[#26]
You could ask anyone making less than $100k a year this question and get the same answer.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 8:16:37 PM EDT
[#27]

When you've replaced all the low skill dregs of society with robots, what happens when you need to fight a war?

What happens when you're fighting that war against a society that put its people above its market?

When your population has imploded because your birthrate plummeted below replacement rates 50 years ago because none of those "low skill workers" could afford children, so they just didn't have any?

When you can't draft anyone because your country has no cultural homogeneity because your leaders answers to the aforementioned problem was to import millions of foreigners that clash with the native born population that see them as a threat for increasingly scarce jobs that aren't automated now?

You're thinking this is a game of "fuck the lazy blue hairs" when in reality this is much bigger than that. This is about the survival of civilizations. If we don't play our cards right, we will come out of this century absolutely fucking dominated by China, and China won't give a fuck about anyone except the Chinese. Because that's how countries are supposed to work. It's about time ours started acting like it.

Darwinism doesn't just apply to your countrymen, it applies to the whole of your society en masse as well. If you get too eager to fuck them on your way to the top, you're going to be left with a mound of cripples with which to fight your larger enemies. At a certain point your own self preservation ought to motivate you to care about them in some sense.
View All Quotes

They’re too spoiled and lack the moral fortitude developed through hard work to understand it.

It’s nearly impossible to argue with the generation of spoiled brats.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 8:21:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Short_Trooper:
Think the people shitting on the people who work warehouse jobs, whether it be Amazon or any other company, should go try their hand at it and tell us how it works out insteadof saying get a better job. Having personally worked a warehouse job where we had no A/C, so it was over 120 degrees inside during the summer at night and cold as hell during winter, I've seen plenty of people who couldn't make it who thought it would be easy work. You're expected to hit so many lines per hour, can't hit it that number your let go without a care. Want to take a break, they monitor you to see how long you take and if you take a minute longer than your break is suppose to be they'll use it as a reason to let you go. If your average arfcommer was to work in a warehouse, be surprised if they made it a week without quitting and saying they weren't being paid enough for what was expected.
View Quote

Not all warehouses and companies are like that.
Yours is a sample of 1.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 8:25:05 PM EDT
[#29]
That’s a job for the secondary earner in the household.

Or if you’re single, either have a modest apartment or maybe a roommate.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 8:27:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 8:38:08 PM EDT
[#31]

Oh, I’m stealing this one.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 8:40:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By VeryAverage:

They're too spoiled and lack the moral fortitude developed through hard work to understand it.

It's nearly impossible to argue with the generation of spoiled brats.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 8:41:03 PM EDT
[#33]
MA

MOAR NACHO CHEESE HOT POCKETS

AND I NEED MOAR MOUNTAIN DEW AND FLUSHABLE WIPES
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 8:43:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By heavy260:
I think some members here used to work in the warehouses of Amazon and had some lovely stories to tell. Strip searched everyday leaving work sure seems worth it 🤪.
View Quote

I remember the one guy from TN who was hired in a group of 100 applicants. He said after 30 days only 3 of them were still working there.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 8:44:37 PM EDT
[#35]
View All Quotes

I traded my last two iPhones in and got the new one for $200.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 8:45:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By akrado:
Stfu things are tough all over

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/46253/superyacht-koru-web_jpg-3216793.JPG

View Quote

Any hi-res images of of that Lauren Sanchez figurehead? Asking for a friend
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 8:47:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Scalped:

View Quote

i gotchu fam
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 8:51:46 PM EDT
[#38]

You can't force people to pay more than the labor is worth.
View Quote

Actually they can and they have by increasing the minimum wage. Whether the company can absorb it or pass it on is the question. If they can't they either close, move, or seek an alternative way to operate like more offshoring of labor or turn to tech to minimize or eliminate.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 8:51:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By JLPettimoreIII:

i gotchu fam
View All Quotes

i gotchu fam

Brb trying to buy a Bezos replica yacht on Amazon through a Chicom shipper. Aint life grand?
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 8:53:00 PM EDT
[#40]

Brb trying to buy a Bezos replica yacht on Amazon through a Chicom shipper. Aint life grand?
View Quote
y u no aliexpress same yacht for 1/5 of the price?
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 8:53:20 PM EDT
[#41]

This is really highlighting a split between the old right and the new right. The new right realizes that the free market is great and all, but if it becomes detrimental to the baseline needs of society (preservation of culture, family, good morals- consider the things you typically fight invading armies in order to protect) then it needs to have its leash shortened.

View Quote
BLAH BLAH BLAH
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 8:54:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By heavy260:
View Quote

Sounds like a perk to me…
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 8:56:23 PM EDT
[#43]
View All Quotes

They banned my account in 03/2020 when I asked cs to send me a taxidermized Wuhan bat
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 8:56:52 PM EDT
[#44]

They banned my account in 03/2020 when I asked cs to send me a taxidermized Wuhan bat
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 8:56:53 PM EDT
[#45]
Let em cry.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 8:56:58 PM EDT
[#46]
Anyone who thinks that people who put stuff in a box and route it to a truck should make a lot of money is not a great thinker at all.  Your analysis is lacking.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 8:59:04 PM EDT
[#47]

View Quote

So in your mind or utopia a married women with children should not work. What if they want to work?
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 9:01:50 PM EDT
[#48]
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/17/2024 9:09:24 PM EDT
[#49]

View Quote

Solid post
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 9:12:02 PM EDT
[#50]
View Quote

Robots will replace skills several orders of magnitude faster than people can learn/train.

How delusional are you guys?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Top Top