Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/24/2024 2:01:47 PM EDT
Anyone here familiar with this?   I'd like to back up all my music and audio books in physical form.   But the last optical media I ever used like this was cd-rs way back in the day.

Preferably, I'd like to do it in a format that, at least for the audio books, I can throw in a blu-ray player connected to the stereo and play as if it were a CD.

The music, I'd probably just copy as single large compressed volumes of mp3s.  

Anyone do this or something like it?

I've already done backups on an external HDD and a NAS in a separate building is in the works.  But I'd feel better with physical backups, too.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 3:14:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Perusing the internet, it looks like making a blu-ray disc that works like a CD really isn't possible.

But doing so with a DVD is, since they came out with a DVD-audio format back on the early 2000s.

8 gigs should be plenty for even the biggest audio books to fit on single disc's. So that's convenient.

Sure seems like a waste not to have a similar functionality for bluray.  I guess not enough people want to bother with physical media.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 4:57:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't think discs are a safe bet for long term. Prob better off with a portable drive for back up. Drives are prob cheap af at this point.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 6:02:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1Andy2] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By urbanredneck:
I don't think discs are a safe bet for long term. Prob better off with a portable drive for back up. Drives are prob cheap af at this point.
View Quote

I've done that.  Was trying to have a backup media type.

Another option that jumps out... it appears alot of DVD players can read mp3 files right off of DVD-Rs.

On external drives, I've learned to not trust solid state drives.   I've encountered quite a bit more file corruption on ssd than hdd.  

As you say tho...hard drives are cheap
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:30:17 PM EDT
[#4]
honestly I do both.
I backup to blueray and have a NAS as well.
if you aren't trying to play it in a stand alone dvd player, it makes it easy to drag and drop files into a burner program to just burn the files itself.
then if a hdd craps out you have a blue ray to put it back.

I have seen degradation of bluerays over the years. so I make complete backups periodically.
not super expensive now. but not "cheap" either.
takes a while to do it though.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 10:00:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Disks don't last too terribly long.  I having seen way too many delaminate.  I would use a hard drive.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:22:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By JTX23:
Disks don't last too terribly long.  I having seen way too many delaminate.  I would use a hard drive.
View Quote

Hm.  

Ok, second plan...secondary HDD storage that also:

A.  Has analog out to connect with stereo
B.  Is easy to navigate at a glance and find the local content I'm looking for.

Some kind of media pc?   I recently built a new computer.  But I still have my old hardware.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:30:20 AM EDT
[#7]
plex does audio, not sure how it would handle books.

there might be a better interface somewhere for just audio.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:59:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bladeswitcher] [#8]
Originally Posted By 1Andy2:
Anyone here familiar with this?   I'd like to back up all my music and audio books in physical form . . .
View Quote

There are several options for music. The first that come to mind are CDs and LP records. They usually come with artwork that accompanies the music. Some of them even include notes about the artist.

As for books, it is possible to acquire back-ups of these in paper form. These have been proven to be essentially archival. Some examples have been preserved for centuries when stored in purpose-designed public facilities. Even in the home, these "books" can be placed on "bookshelves" and displayed, allowing near instant access. Some have flexible paper covers, but fancier versions have more rigid covers.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:46:55 AM EDT
[#9]
View Quote

Mechanical drives need to be spun up at least once a year.  Flash drives need to be powered up occasionally as well.  

I still have burned audio CDs from the late 90's that work but none of the old hard drives are functional.  The best solution is to get both.

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:45:53 AM EDT
[#10]
What's the total amount of data (MB/GB) you're looking to archive?

There are mid-level music players with a fair bit of internal storage that can both hold & play like you're trying to do.

Ignoring your desire to play from the backups directly, a few 128g/256g SDXC memory cards can hold a lot of data in a small space.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:18:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Bladeswitcher:

There are several options for music. The first that come to mind are CDs and LP records. They usually come with artwork that accompanies the music. Some of them even include notes about the artist.

As for books, it is possible to acquire back-ups of these in paper form. These have been proven to be essentially archival. Some examples have been preserved for centuries when stored in purpose-designed public facilities. Even in the home, these "books" can be placed on "bookshelves" and displayed, allowing near instant access. Some have flexible paper covers, but fancier versions have more rigid covers.
View Quote

Why does GD insist on infecting the tech forums?
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:28:10 PM EDT
[#12]

Why does GD insist on infecting the tech forums?
View Quote
At least he wasn't talking about his mother with bad knees. That bitch needs to go away.

OP - how often does your collection change?
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 2:38:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bladeswitcher] [#13]
. . . . .
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 3:30:09 PM EDT
[#14]
These  are certified for 100 years when properly stored. Basically, out of sun/UV light and controlled humidity.

I've got some that are close to 25 years old and still read at full speed
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 6:05:43 PM EDT
[#15]
"Back in the day" it was found that CD-RW lasted longer than CD-R because the recording layer was metallic instead of dye based. (or something similar, it's been a few years)

The same probably applies to DVD.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 6:39:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1Andy2] [#16]
Originally Posted By Amish_Bill:
At least he wasn't talking about his mother with bad knees. That bitch needs to go away.

OP - how often does your collection change?
View Quote

The music in mp3 form, very little at the moment.  I don't really like modern music. But I have a ton of it.  Like most of a terabyte drive, I think

The audio books, regularly.  Active audible subscription.  

I'm considering a hybrid solution.

50 gig bluray discs for physical archive on the music and audio books.  

Everything on NAS streamed to stereo with a network audio streamer.  Looking at NAD CS1.  If I understand it correctly, that will hook up to NAS via ethernet cable then I can operate it with a tablet or phone via bluetooth.

Secondary HDD backup.  Already done on music.

That gives me
1 external hdd backup
Everything backed up on nas, with the ability to play any of it directly from that on my nice speakers
Physical media backup, if all else fails
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 2:08:31 AM EDT
[#17]
If you're going to use optical disks as a backup medium, go with the Mdisc style DVD-R blanks.  Hypothetically they're supposed to last a 1000 years.

Extreme long term storage is a problem no one has really cracked yet.  The only sure fire way is to store your data in multiple places, and make sure you have good checksums for it.  If it was me, I'd dump all my music cd's as ISO's, create sha256 sums for each iso, and store it on a ZFS file system.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:21:29 AM EDT
[#18]
View Quote

They last longer than you think. I had a fairly big CD case of copied CDs when all I had in my little truck was a CD player in it. In 2003 I put another stereo and 12 disk changer in it that did mp3 and went to all disks of mp3s so all the copied CDs date to then or before. I found this case in a closet about a year ago and every single one of these CDs play with no problem. They were 4 or 5 different brands of CD-Rs, whatever I had got the cheapest,.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 1:16:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By The_Fly:
If you're going to use optical disks as a backup medium, go with the Mdisc style DVD-R blanks.  Hypothetically they're supposed to last a 1000 years.

Extreme long term storage is a problem no one has really cracked yet.  The only sure fire way is to store your data in multiple places, and make sure you have good checksums for it.  If it was me, I'd dump all my music cd's as ISO's, create sha256 sums for each iso, and store it on a ZFS file system.
View Quote

Thanks for the tip.

Verbatim makes an archival BD-R with a 100 gig capacity (don't ask me how).  13 bucks a pop on Amazon.  Advertised as "m disc bdxl"   Thoughts?

For the NAS was originally going to use True nas but now leaning toward unraid, for the easier learning curve.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 1:37:29 PM EDT
[#20]

Thanks for the tip.

Verbatim makes an archival BD-R with a 100 gig capacity (don't ask me how).  13 bucks a pop on Amazon.  Advertised as "m disc bdxl"   Thoughts?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Thanks for the tip.

That would a multilayer type BD-R disc.  My concern with those would be drives that can read them.   They exist, but not near as common.  Where as DVD-R capable drives are super common.

For the NAS was originally going to use True nas but now leaning toward unraid, for the easier learning curve.

I've never used unraid so I can't speak to it good or bad.  TrueNas is excellent, and since it uses ZFS as the backend file system almost Linux system with ZFS installed would be able to import the ZFS pool as needed.  In my experience, with long term data you want as much flexibility as possible when it comes to being able to read your data and move it around to newer systems.

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 3:03:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1Andy2] [#21]
It looks like unraid supports zfs now but I'm not really sure what I'm looking at.

Unraid.net/use-cases/data-storage

Eta:  ah, some basic explanation here

Unraid.net/blog/zfs-guide

Almost seems like the ideal solution would be unraid without zfs for an active use NAS that gets regularly added to and then a ZFS NAS that you occasionally mirror it to for archive/backup. Assuming there's a way to do that without writing over the existing "pure" files on the zfs system with files that got corrupted on the non-zfs system...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top