BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 9
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 9:24:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 1Andy2:
When the first crewed Dragon flew, a crewed Starliner was still years away.
View Quote

Ok? It still doesn't change that starliner has hardware on the pad and crewed dreamchaser is still vapor ware.
Are you really advocating cancelling starliner right now?
I would be just fine if starliner only flies every few years as nothing more than a backup crew option until starship is man rated.
Ditching starliner now would mean the only crew alternative would again be soyuz which I'm sure the Russians would be happy to take full advantage of.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 12:43:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By DarkGray:

Ok? It still doesn't change that starliner has hardware on the pad and crewed dreamchaser is still vapor ware.
Are you really advocating cancelling starliner right now?
I would be just fine if starliner only flies every few years as nothing more than a backup crew option until starship is man rated.
Ditching starliner now would mean the only crew alternative would again be soyuz which I'm sure the Russians would be happy to take full advantage of.
View Quote

Is the plan to develop a crewed Dream Chaser?   I am skeptical that Starship will be man-rated.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 12:45:18 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm not getting inside a capsule built by Boeing.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 12:49:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By AmericanPeople:
Is the plan to develop a crewed Dream Chaser?   I am skeptical that Starship will be man-rated.
View Quote

Starship will be man rated. As a lunar lander at first, per their NASA contract. If they fly it a third as often as they intend to they will work out any bugs fairly quickly.

SNC seem to be waffling back and forth on a crewed Dream Chaser. Probably waiting until there is a market for such a thing. I would guess they want to do it but at the moment its a bigger expense than what the company can justify. If Starliner fails spectacularly and those contracts are cancelled it will probably provide a major incentive for a manned Dream Chaser.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 2:46:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1Andy2] [#5]
Originally Posted By Hesperus:

Starship will be man rated. As a lunar lander at first, per their NASA contract. If they fly it a third as often as they intend to they will work out any bugs fairly quickly.

SNC seem to be waffling back and forth on a crewed Dream Chaser. Probably waiting until there is a market for such a thing. I would guess they want to do it but at the moment its a bigger expense than what the company can justify. If Starliner fails spectacularly and those contracts are cancelled it will probably provide a major incentive for a manned Dream Chaser.
View Quote

Dreamchaser was planned for crew from the start.   It's only been developed as an unmanned cargo runner because that's what NASA paid for.

If it works out as a cargo runner, it makes no sense not to make a crewed version.  The ability to land on a runway is an even bigger advantage for crew than it is an empty ship or one with trash or science experiments.

Starliner isn't at risk of failing spectacularly.  It already has.  I suspect that NASA is already pinning hopes on Dreamchaser as a replacement for it. Starliner hasn't killed anyone...yet.  But the program has been a complete shitshow.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 2:53:29 PM EDT
[#6]

Dreamchaser was planned for crew from the start.   It's only been developed as an unmanned cargo runner because that's what NASA paid for.

If it works out as a cargo runner, it makes no sense not to make a crewed version.  The ability to land on a runway is an even bigger advantage for crew than it is an empty ship or one with trash or science experiments.

Starliner isn't at risk of failing spectacularly.  It already has.  I suspect that NASA is already pinning hopes on Dreamchaser as a replacement for it. Starliner hasn't killed anyone...yet.  But the program has been a complete shitshow.
View Quote

Just looked up what Dreamcatcher is. It looks like that emergency shuttle they were going to permanently station on the ISS in case of the crew needing to quickly abandon the ISS.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 3:00:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By ArmyInfantryVet:

Just looked up what Dreamcatcher is. It looks like that emergency shuttle they were going to permanently station on the ISS in case of the crew needing to quickly abandon the ISS.
View Quote

It honestly looks alot like what the shuttle should have been from the very start
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 3:04:11 PM EDT
[#8]

It honestly looks alot like what the shuttle should have been from the very start
View Quote

Something designed to go back and forth between a space station and not something built to snatch Soviet spy satellites and put large American spy satellites in orbit?
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 3:09:52 PM EDT
[#9]

Something designed to go back and forth between a space station and not something built to snatch Soviet spy satellites and put large American spy satellites in orbit?
View Quote

I'd like to believe that as an explanation for it.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 3:18:06 PM EDT
[#10]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

The Most Important Space Shuttle Mission Never Happened
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 3:19:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Good luck with that. They are going to need it.

Glad I'm not taking that ride.
View Quote

Not the first one.  Buy I'd take the 4th
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 4:51:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Has the "Butch Cassidy & The Suni[Dance] Kid" joke been made already?

The fall will definitely kill them.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 11:11:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Weather 90% GO for Monday's launch

The forecast from Launch Weather Officer Brian Belson of the Space Force's 45th Weather Squadron indicates a 90 percent chance of acceptable conditions for Monday's 10:34 p.m. EDT (0234 UTC) launch of Atlas V and Boeing's Starliner.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 10:49:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Atlas V Starliner CFT Mission Profile
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:07:23 AM EDT
[#15]
In other news, OIG report on uncrewed Orion capsule test reveals heat shield failure worse than previously revealed by NASA, burnthrough caused some damage to the capsule

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:26:35 AM EDT
[#16]
I hope all the nuts and bolts are in it.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 12:34:49 PM EDT
[#17]

No way I would ride in that thing.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 6:03:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 8:08:56 PM EDT
[#19]
If that separation bolt is subject to the high heat of re-entry, how should it look?
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 10:37:00 PM EDT
[#20]
NASA’s Boeing Starliner Crew Flight Test Prelaunch News Conference
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 10:37:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Those poor people.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:39:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Cobalt135] [#22]
Originally Posted By cavedog:
Those poor people.
View Quote

The Atlas V rocket has 99 launches with success and no failures since 2002 so the Atlas V stage will likely be no issue.  Starliner is what is in question here.  Other than the environmental control systems (climate control and 02 system)   I guess death would be quick and painless if an issue happens between launch and docking with ISS.

The claimed free flight duration of Starliner is 60 hours.  So if it could not dock due to issues I would think that is the max time to re-enter and return crew safe.  If the maneuvering system is working as designed. (which it didn't on it's first flight).

If they make it to ISS and dock (24 hour journey), but find issues while on station that keep them from making safe return in Starliner then any or even all crew aboard ISS could ride the Dragon and Soyuz back down to Earth if needed depending on how severe the issue was.

If after nearly a week docked to ISS testing and the test crew board Starliner then undock and return to land (6 hours minimum from undock to first re-entry window) and there is an issue with environmental control or navigation/thrusters/de-orbit burns then we could witness another Columbia like accident.

Landing zones are not splashdown in the ocean but: White Sands Missile Range, New Mexico; Willcox, Arizona; Dugway Proving Ground, Utah. And Edwards Air Force Base as a contingency.

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:05:46 PM EDT
[#23]
On the pad!

Our Atlas V rocket has arrived at its Cape Canaveral pad to launch two astronauts Monday night on Boeing's Crew Flight Test in NASA's Commercial Crew Program. Butch Wilmore and Suni Williams, both retired Navy captains, space shuttle fliers and past long-duration residents aboard the International Space Station, will test the Starliner spacecraft in preparation for regular crew rotation missions to the station beginning next year.

Interesting that there are three landing sites.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 9:43:37 AM EDT
[#24]
May 04 15:24.   Rollout day concludes

The joint ULA, Boeing and NASA team is wrapping up the planned activities for rollout day and the Atlas V rocket is being powered down for the night. The next event will be starting the launch countdown Monday morning.

Link Posted: 5/5/2024 9:56:13 AM EDT
[#25]

The joint ULA, Boeing and NASA team is wrapping up the planned activities for rollout day and the Atlas V rocket is being powered down for the night. The next event will be starting the launch countdown Monday morning.

https://img.24live.co/event/3520105635873268419/20240504212430_668430.jpeg
View Quote

That's the vibe you get when you haven't unlocked unlimited parts count in Kerbal Space Program.

Kharn
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 9:57:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Launch forecast is 90% go for weather.
So far all systems are go with the rocket/payload.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 10:55:18 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 11:25:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FALex] [#28]
Teacher, I have a question!  This video shows us a hypersonic sled travelling at 6600mph. According to NASA, rockets needs to be rolling out at almost 25000mph to escape earth's atmosphere.  This equates to roughly 4 miles per second.

Why can I not see the sled, even when they slow the frame rate down?  It is moving 4x slower than the usual rockets we see, and we can see them for quite an extended period of time.

Hypersonic Sled Travels at 6,599 mph - Secret Test Site
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 11:40:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dorobuta] [#29]
Originally Posted By FALex:
Teacher, I have a question!  This video shows us a hypersonic sled travelling at 6600mph. According to NASA, rockets needs to be rolling out at almost 25000mph to escape earth's atmosphere.  This equates to roughly 4 miles per second.

Why can I not see the sled, even when they slow the frame rate down?  It is moving 4x slower than the usual rockets we see, and we can see them for quite an extended period of time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yos4oz_d0c0
View Quote

Because the rockets are accelerating, and don’t reach escape velocity until well into the launch. They are moving relatively slowly because they’re heavy and it takes time to accelerate to speed.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 11:40:30 AM EDT
[#30]
17,500 mph for LEO.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 11:50:23 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By FALex:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yos4oz_d0c0
View Quote

You ever been to an airshow with the blue angels or thunderbirds?
It's the same reason you only see the solo jet for a moment when it does it's surprise pass, yet you can watch a faster moving airliner fly across the sky dispersing chem trails for hundreds of miles.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 2:31:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Kinda feels like they are tempting fate with this news segment.

Boeing Starliner set for launch taking 2 astronauts into space

I suppose we will all find out soon enough.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 2:39:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Kinda feels like they are tempting fate with this news segment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lS-b5x2h1U

I suppose we will all find out soon enough.
View Quote

I spent a lot of time at the Fernbank observatory many years ago.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 10:26:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 8:38:43 AM EDT
[#35]

https://img.24live.co/event/3520105635873268419/20240504212430_668430.jpeg
View Quote
Anyone know the launch pad number?
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 8:51:10 AM EDT
[#36]
When is the memorial service?
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 8:54:06 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Merlin:
View Quote

SLC-41
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 8:59:46 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By RiverSwine45:

SLC-41
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RiverSwine45:
Originally Posted By Merlin:

SLC-41
Thanks!  Off to GE.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:10:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Utahshooting] [#39]
Did it launch?

ETA- Looks like it doesn't light off till 10:30 EDT
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:57:27 PM EDT
[#40]

https://arstechnica.com/space/2024/05/the-surprise-is-not-that-boeing-lost-commercial-crew-but-that-it-finished-at-all/

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 6:30:12 PM EDT
[#41]
NASA’s Boeing Starliner Crew Flight Test Launch
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 6:31:14 PM EDT
[#42]
ULA Atlas V Launches Starliner Crew Flight Test
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 6:38:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Didn't it come out over the weekend that the last orbital flight of the Starliner nearly burnt up during re-entry?

The heat shield pretty much came apart.

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 6:39:33 PM EDT
[#44]
Butch Wilmore's first name is appropriate.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 6:42:15 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Cpt_Kirks:
Didn't it come out over the weekend that the last orbital flight of the Starliner nearly burnt up during re-entry?

View Quote

That is Orion, the nasa capsule for the Artemis program.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 6:42:22 PM EDT
[#46]

View Quote

you could scroll up to find out.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 7:04:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Utahshooting:
Did it launch?

ETA- Looks like it doesn't light off till 10:30 EDT
View Quote

See page 1, post 1
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 7:05:15 PM EDT
[#48]

View Quote

See post 15 above.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 7:40:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Looks like the crew is about to board.

Feeling a bit more serious...
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 7:58:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TLWrench] [#50]
Here's the NASA-TV stream on YouTube. They have viewers' comments along the side for the livestream which might be even more entertaining than the launch attempt itself. I don't know how long NASA will allow the unwashed masses to do running commentary during their launch livestreams, might as well enjoy it while we can...
NASA’s Boeing Starliner Crew Flight Test Launch

Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top