Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/26/2024 8:42:53 AM EDT
Not technically my first shotgun. I do have a 25 year old Nova turkey gun that I shoot once or twice a year for a clay tournament for work/industry. This Ultima Patrol is my first home defense shotgun.

I ordered a bunch of SuperX 9 pellet 00 buck, and next is to start building a stash of Flite Control or similar. What's a good Flite Control alternative for super tight and effective home defense loads?

I also am going to put a CROM with a circle dot Sig or Holosun micro on it, and figure out how to get a sling attached to the rear.

What other cool shotgun stuff should I be doing?
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:47:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Philmore] [#1]
Take that thing out and “Choot it Lizbeth! “

Fun gun!

ETA:  Only other thing I did was put a sling on it and make sure the mag/barrel band was tight so it wouldn’t move.  No problems.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:47:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Sling, light and side saddle. That's it.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:57:06 AM EDT
[#3]
I don’t think there is a Flight Control alternative. Hornady makes ammo with the same wad, but they don’t shoot as well in my gun. You may have different results.

Add a light and side-saddle or shotgun cards.

Shotgun thread:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:03:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By BigHumidity:
Not technically my first shotgun. I do have a 25 year old Nova turkey gun that I shoot once or twice a year for a clay tournament for work/industry. This Ultima Patrol is my first home defense shotgun.

I ordered a bunch of SuperX 9 pellet 00 buck, and next is to start building a stash of Flite Control or similar. What's a good Flite Control alternative for super tight and effective home defense loads?

I also am going to put a CROM with a circle dot Sig or Holosun micro on it, and figure out how to get a sling attached to the rear.

View Quote
Would that happen to be one of the CASA shoots? If so, I go every year to one of mine. Awesome days
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:07:57 AM EDT
[#5]
I want one so bad.

Perfect for when the prairie dog pups are up
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:09:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Shoot it a lot and get familiar with it.

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:11:31 AM EDT
[#7]
I would clean it really well.

I have an Ultima and it ran fine for most of the first box. Then I started getting FTEs more and more often over the course of the next 4-5 boxes.

It had some white "grease" in there that caked up pretty good. It felt more like partially dry joint compound than grease.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:01:26 AM EDT
[#8]
There are some great optic mounts for them.

AIM has police trade in federal tactical with flight control for $7-8 a box right now
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:07:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Take it out and shoot it some. Mine had a weak mag spring that would cause the last round to not jump onto the elevator occasionally.

I replaced the factory spring and it works great now.

I also put a limbsaver recoil pad on with the smaller spacer as the factory pad is hard and the length of pull is way short out of the box.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:09:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By BigHumidity:

View Quote

Take a shotgun class. Do matches. Keep it clean and oiled. Have fun with it.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:11:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Get you some Federal Flitecontrol for it
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:15:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Also, Academy carries Monarch 00Bk in 25 round boxes for around $13.

Way cheaper than any of the big companies buckshot and it runs great.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:17:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Replace the magazine tube spring.  They are known for taking a set very very quickly.  

I like the GGG mag tube cover and clamp over the plastic OEM parts.

Otherwise light, sling, optic, ammo.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:18:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Another thought. Your A300 should have come with a Velcro piece cut for the left side of the receiver.

Clean the surface with an alcohol pad/wipe and install it.

Esstac makes nice shotshell cards that work well with the Velcro pad.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:18:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Definitely a pro lifter (if you can find one)

A light if you want.

Shell cards.

Maybe replace that cheesy plastic tube cover with an aluminum one from Nordic.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top